The Last Guardian

May 01

tlouleftbehind

The Last of Us: Left Behind Available as Standalone Download May 12th

tlouleftbehind

Arne Meyer's Avatar Posted by on May 01, 2015 // Director of Communications, Naughty Dog

The team at Naughty Dog is excited that Left Behind, the critically-acclaimed and award-winning single-player chapter to The Last of Us, will be available as a standalone download via PlayStation Store. The Last of Us: Left Behind standalone will be available on both PS4 and PS3 starting May 12th for only $9.99 ($14.99 CAN). We will be dropping the price of the Left Behind Add-on on PS3 to the same price on that day as well.

If you haven’t had a chance yet to check out The Last of Us, this is a nicely priced gateway to checking out the world and characters so many people (and critics) loved. While part of the story of Left Behind takes place during the main narrative arc of The Last of Us, I think some of the best and most touching moments of any game in recent memory occur during the prequel segments, as we follow Ellie and Riley as they sneak out of boarding school to visit an abandoned mall, getting one final chance to enjoy their friendship before Riley leaves to join the Fireflies.

Left Behind

You can get more immersed into the story of Ellie and Riley in The Last of Us: American Dreams comic book, published by Dark Horse, co-written by Faith Erin Hicks and The Last of Us Creative Director Neil Druckmann, with interior art by Faith Erin Hicks. I highly, highly recommend it.

We realize that most of Naughty Dog fans and readers of PlayStation.Blog will have probably already played The Last of Us and maybe even the Left Behind Add-on chapter — if you enjoyed the games, be sure to tell your friends that haven’t played this great introduction to The Last of Us.

We’ve also included a two hour trial of the Factions Multiplayer mode. The Left Behind standalone game will have built-in upgrade paths through the in-game store to both the full Factions experience and/or the full game for The Last of Us.

Below are the details on the upgrade possibilities on both PS4 and PS3 after you already own the Left Behind standalone game.

PS4
Full Factions Multiplayer $9.99 ($14.99 CAN)
Full digital single-player game with Treacherous Territories Map Pack
(if you already own the full Factions Multiplayer)
$29.99 ($24.99 CAN)
Full digital single-player game, Factions Multiplayer Mode, and the Treacherous Territories Map Pack bundle $39.99 ($39.99 CAN)
PS3
Full Factions Multiplayer $9.99 ($9.99 CAN)
Full digital single-player game with Treacherous Territories Map Pack
(if you already own the full Factions Multiplayer)
$19.99 ($14.99 CAN)
Full digital single-player game, Factions Multiplayer Mode, and the Treacherous Territories Map Pack bundle $29.99 ($24.99 CAN)

These prices reflect US and CAN pricing. Please check your local PlayStation Store for regional pricing. We hope to see all you new fans of The Last of Us on May 12th!

PAGE 1 2

+ Lawlhawk on May 1st, 2015 at 7:14 am said:

Uh… what?

+ cusman on May 1st, 2015 at 7:15 am said:

Good option for someone that bought and played original, but never the Left Behind DLC due to console transition and didn’t want to buy full game again on new console.

+ jibjab79 on May 1st, 2015 at 7:17 am said:

Sounds like the game developers from Last of Us is getting low on money.

+ MisterAxle on May 1st, 2015 at 7:21 am said:

Yeah, NO. Y’all IGNORE what Arne said.
DO NOT PLAY Left Behind before you complete The Last of Us.
Seriously, freakin’ spoiler central. What the heck, man.

+ MarinoBrea on May 1st, 2015 at 7:32 am said:

Critics aren’t people to ND, lol.

Arne Meyer's Avatar

+ Arne Meyer on May 1st, 2015 at 8:14 am said:

It was supposed to say FANS. Ah well. They are people too ;)

+ Bellalara on May 1st, 2015 at 7:39 am said:

Love you Naughty Dog

+ YoruAzeniaSIC on May 1st, 2015 at 7:39 am said:

Pretty cool news actually, I already bought The Last of Us Remastered (no regrets) but this is nice for those who haven’t. Having options is never. Good move as usual Naughty Dog :)

+ Deadpoolian on May 1st, 2015 at 7:39 am said:

This is great for me! I played TLOU on PS3, but never played any of the dlc.
I’ve got a PS4 now, so I’ll gladly pick up the standalone of Left Behind for it!

+ YoruAzeniaSIC on May 1st, 2015 at 7:39 am said:

never bad*

+ GoPens35 on May 1st, 2015 at 7:41 am said:

I wouldn’t be interested in this the remaster was the first game I bought for my Ps4, why would I tell my friends who haven’t played it about this though especially the ones on the Ps4 when I could just point them to cheaper physical copies that offer the full experience?

+ gohan16ken on May 1st, 2015 at 7:43 am said:

I have watched over 30 reviews on this game. I watched the all the cutscenes. I watched all the commentaries and documentaries from sony and third person youtubers. I love it but I can’t play it. I played it once for like 30mins and had to stop. I got to the part after Tess dies. I just can not play survival horror games. I am not good at crafting and resource management. I love the game but I dislike playing it. I want to buy the game to support it but I know it will be a waste of money.

+ jakekoloko001 on May 1st, 2015 at 7:46 am said:

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

The only thing I want from NAUGHTY DOG team is

UNCHARTED 4 beta

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Arne Meyer's Avatar

+ Arne Meyer on May 1st, 2015 at 8:18 am said:

Don’t we all!

+ davidxraw on May 1st, 2015 at 7:46 am said:

Can we get a demo and a PlayStation Plus download of Left Behind for the PS3?

+ BlaqMagiq24 on May 1st, 2015 at 7:48 am said:

I’m just struggling to see the point of this. If you own TLOU Remastered what’s the point of owning this if it’s already on the disc?

Now maybe PS3 I can understand but why buy this standalone when the DLC opens up in the middle of the main game’s events?

Can someone help me out here?

Arne Meyer's Avatar

+ Arne Meyer on May 1st, 2015 at 8:16 am said:

It’s for people who don’t have TLOU Remastered and perhaps don’t want to dive in to the full game. Plus it has the MP trial. It’s not for anyone who has TLOUR, obviously. This isn’t releasing Left Behind as an add-on, since you don’t need the disk or anything to play this.

+ Strangeheaven on May 1st, 2015 at 7:52 am said:

Lets milk it more, truley pointless for ps4 owners. I also sense desperation.

Arne Meyer's Avatar

+ Arne Meyer on May 1st, 2015 at 8:17 am said:

Desperate is the last thing we are, but thanks for your vote of confidence. :)

+ Strangeheaven on May 1st, 2015 at 7:56 am said:

@14

They want more money, it’s called desperation,pointless and milked all rolled in one. They probably want more money to remaster Uncharted trilogy.

+ Su-Banane on May 1st, 2015 at 8:18 am said:

Hi Arne,

Do you get the Realism mode when you upgrade from the Standalone to the $39 package?
The one with Full digital single-player game, Factions Multiplayer Mode, and the Treacherous Territories Map Pack bundle?

Arne Meyer's Avatar

+ Arne Meyer on May 1st, 2015 at 8:20 am said:

For The Last of Us Remastered PS4 you do get Grounded mode because it is part of the full game.

Arne Meyer's Avatar

+ Arne Meyer on May 1st, 2015 at 8:20 am said:

+ Su-Banane on May 1st, 2015 at 8:20 am said:

Or to put it simply, are any DLCs previously released included in the “full” game? :)
Thanks for your reply and have a good day!

+ Hayades on May 1st, 2015 at 8:26 am said:

Will these standalone versions have their own, separate trophies from the left behind dlc?

+ LeeHatake93 on May 1st, 2015 at 8:42 am said:

Hos big is the PS4 dowload?
The PS3 version of the DLC itself was like 5 GB. Is the PS4 version bigger than that?

+ ChaseHammerJ on May 1st, 2015 at 8:51 am said:

Im sorry but The Last of Us was mediocre at best. Uncharted series is amazing but TLOU was just blah. I know its my opinion but it was no where near the best game or worth the hype it was given.

How about a new Crash Bandicoot instead of this.

Arne Meyer's Avatar

+ Arne Meyer on May 1st, 2015 at 9:16 am said:

Sorry to hear that. We don’t own Crash Bandicoot anymore – that’s with Activision.

+ OnTheBus666 on May 1st, 2015 at 8:58 am said:

This is great news! I just sent $10 PSN credits to my best buds who have ps4s! Gettin ready for some factions this weekend

+ sgtskyros on May 1st, 2015 at 9:22 am said:

Great to have options! Bravo Naughty Dog. Only bad thing with this game is when it finishes lol, was a great little adventure would have loved to have had a bit more.

+ Ravenous74 on May 1st, 2015 at 9:42 am said:

Anything Naughty Dog does is golden…except when their games end, I want more. I live in PlayStation’s world lol :-)

+ Corn-Pillow on May 1st, 2015 at 9:46 am said:

I feel like they wouldn’t have done this if no one was asking for it guys. If this makes at least one gamer out there happy its worth it.

+ death_nation100 on May 1st, 2015 at 9:50 am said:

Not worth it for ppl who haven’t played it. I just hated how Ellie acted her age in Left Behind. But in the Original game she’s someone different it’s iike having a movie director do a film based off the book . It was totally different.

+ MegaRayIII on May 1st, 2015 at 9:57 am said:

@Arne
Yeah you dont own Crash, but you wouldn’t make it even if you owned it anyway. You didnt even make a new Jak for 10 years (give or take)

Keep milking TLoU as much as you can, ND has fallen after Andy and Rubin left *fact*

+ Painkiller360 on May 1st, 2015 at 9:58 am said:

I would like a TLOU PS4 dynamic theme.

+ viceforce on May 1st, 2015 at 10:03 am said:

How about we steer away from Ellie and focus on Joel a bit. We deserve answers like

How Joel met up with Tess.
How Joel and Tom split
And maybe some insight on the Fireflies.

There was some talk about a new single player DLC I hope it’s focuses on Joel and 20 year lapse. Come on Naughty Dog make that happen

PS: I do not except Dark Horse variation comics.

+ XxSTMELVINxX on May 1st, 2015 at 10:04 am said:

first uncharted 3, then killzone shadow fall, now the last of us. i like the last of us for the single player campaign and naughty dog makes fantastic games, but seeing this is just disappointing.

+ BlaqMagiq24 on May 1st, 2015 at 10:22 am said:

@Arne Meyer

Sorry. I worded my message wrong. What I meant to say was why do this when most people could just buy the full game with Left Behind already included? IMO Left Behind is a terrible starting point when most people won’t understand what’s happening in the beginning.

+ JoeUFC on May 1st, 2015 at 10:25 am said:

Anyone who plays this before playing the main game is insane, this is the only story DLC that I’ve ever seen that the game warns you not to play before playing the main game lol

+ Strangeheaven on May 1st, 2015 at 10:31 am said:

I think Naughtydog should consider making an open world game. My favorite games are open world.

+ Strangeheaven on May 1st, 2015 at 10:51 am said:

If Uncharted 4 has horses in it, please make look and animate like a real horse please naughtydog. The horse in uncharted 3 and the last of us ran like a camel. Rockstar were spot on when it came to horse and wildlife animations. Red dead Redemption has the best horse animations ive ever seen in a videogame. Anyone who denies that are clearly deluded.

+ ClinToN on May 1st, 2015 at 10:58 am said:

What’s the amount of play time on the story? I never got to it on the PS3 story.

+ Droogie4Ever on May 1st, 2015 at 11:01 am said:

I think this is a pretty good deal. Plus many people may have played TLOU on PS3 but maybe didn’t play the DLC so this works out pretty good for them. Personally, I already own the PS4 remastered version. The Last of Us was the main reason I switched from Xbox back to Sony after I skipped the PS3 (mostly due to cost – not because I wasn’t happy with their products). I love that Naughty Dog gave me a chance to enjoy TLOU on my PS4 and I hope they put out an Uncharted Trilogy so I can enjoy those as well. Can’t wait to see what I missed. before Uncharted 4 comes out.

+ DanteAMT on May 1st, 2015 at 11:27 am said:

Arne Meyer , my comment will probably be unheard but if someone from N&D sees it :

Please bring UNCHARTED TRILOGY REMASTERED to PS4. Pretty PLEASE. U4 is due for 2016, you have no excuse not to please your fans with Uncharted Trilogy Remastered on PS4.

First of all I am a huge fan of N&D, I have 100% Trophy completion on Jak I, II , III and TLOU Remastered, BUT 0% to 3-4 % completion on Uncharted series from PlayStation Now. Why ? Because..

Second I do not OWN a PS3. I have 2x PS4`s, one regular PS4 and one 20th Anniversary Limited Edition sitting in unopened box like an art painting next to my TV. I have 2 Vita`s, PS2 and a PS1 but i will not buy a PS3. When PS3 was out I was in college – bachelors & masters in IT, so i couldn`t afford getting addicted.

+ DanteAMT on May 1st, 2015 at 11:28 am said:

I can buy a PS3 and I can surely play Uncharted 1, 2 and 3 on PS Now but I preffer NOT to. I do not want to spoil the experience. After the glorious TLOU RE graphics, my eyes can`t stand last gen consoles. Now if you tell me and confirm that you will not bring Uncharted Trilogy to PS4 you will make me very sad and I will platnum Uncharted on PS NOW, but if you don’t i will just wait and wait and wait till you decide to bring the series to PS4.

Please don`t dissapoint your fans or keep us waiting forever…

+ deadendblues on May 1st, 2015 at 11:29 am said:

Thanks. Day one buy for me! Never had a chance after moving to ps4 to play. Thanks ND!

+ VanguardOfLouis on May 1st, 2015 at 11:56 am said:

Nice One! people who dont want to actually play the whole game can just get this to get abit of feel in the TLOU universe

+ IrosoMeyi on May 1st, 2015 at 12:17 pm said:

This “Game” was the biggest snore fest I’ve ever played.
Surprised I even finished it, seriously horrible game/movie.

+ HugoStiglitz_420 on May 1st, 2015 at 12:24 pm said:

Why would ND do this when there are HUGE SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean, in TLOU remastered, it even says not to play it before you’ve completed the main game yet they’re gonna sell it as a standalone? Makes no sense at all and you could be ruining a brilliant game for people by doing this.

+ nolson on May 1st, 2015 at 12:27 pm said:

@strangeheaven

I can’t tell if your trolling or being genuinely stupid. How is it “truly pointless” for all ps4 owners. Not everyone owns the last of us remastered. This could be a cheap gateway for people to the series for 10 dollars and if they like it then they can then move on to the full game. This isn’t meant for people who have already played the game. Stop being so dumb and making gamers look dumb. THINK before you type please. You’re embarrassing yourself.

+ nolson on May 1st, 2015 at 12:31 pm said:

@28 MegaRayIII

Please, just stop. You’re embarrassing yourself. Do you know what a fact is? Clearly what you said is an OPINION. They have stated several times they looked at making a new JAK game but it didn’t work out. This game is meant for people as a cheap entry into the series who haven’t played TLOU before. Your ignorance is annoying.

+ Rootboi_Root on May 1st, 2015 at 12:47 pm said:

Love the responses Arne Meyer. You guys are the best, this is perfect for me who loved the game on PS3 but hasn’t invested in the DLC and the PS4 version yet (even though I really wanted to, just too many games and too little time). Can’t wait for more Naughty Dog greatness!

+ Tomoprime on May 1st, 2015 at 12:52 pm said:

What is the point of this? The DLC is very short as it is. All new PS4 include the Left Behind DLC. The retail game includes the DLC. All preowned copies are dirt cheap and include the DLC if you are a PS4 owner. If you buy the digital code online, most places sell the full game for under $13 with The Left Behind DLC included.

Yikes why not make something new? Instead of more delays….

+ Chip1010 on May 1st, 2015 at 1:02 pm said:

Something that doesn’t hurt anyone in the slightest and provides an extra option that might be right for certain people … so I guess I should have assumed that the comments section would be full of people complaining about it. Or complaining about … Uncharted 3’s horse animations or something. This website is a cesspool.

+ nolson on May 1st, 2015 at 1:03 pm said:

@47

It’s simply another entry point for people into the series for 10 dollars.

As for your last point, how in the world does this take away from something new? It’s not like putting this on the store is stopping them from working on new things. They are making U4. Please, enlighten us all how putting this on the store is why Uncharted 4 got delayed. Would love to hear it.

+ nolson on May 1st, 2015 at 1:04 pm said:

God…I love the playstation community, but the comments on the blog sometimes give me a headache. Full of moronic statements by people who are either trolling or being incredibly stupid. It’s infuriating. Please tell me I’m not alone in this sea of madness.

PAGE 1 2