God of War

May 07

May 07

Nom Nom Galaxy Lands on PS4 Next Week

Gareth Wright's Avatar Posted by Design Manager, Double 11

Hi everyone. I’m pleased to announce that following a collaboration with Q-Games, Nom Nom Galaxy is on its way to PS4 on May 12th!

The best way to describe Nom Nom Galaxy is “genre-blending,” but at its core it’s about creating enormous soup factories with your friends and shipping tasty soup into outer space!

Nom Nom Galaxy combines many themes of gameplay, with equal elements of classic platforming, mining, construction, resource management, and tower defence.

Here is an idea of what’s to come…

Crash-land and Explore Remote, Living Worlds

Run, jump, swim and jet boost around vast, fully-destructible environments. Equip your astro-buzzsaw to terraform the planet as you decide where to build your soup factory-base.

Terrain can be lifted and moved manually, or exploded with dynamite robots to expand soup production anywhere on the planet. Unsupported land will collapse with gravity, water pools will drain, and pockets of oxygen will gradually expand.

Nom Nom GalaxyNom Nom Galaxy

Construct, Maintain, and Defend With Friends

Mineable resources in the ground provide the currency for constructing your factories, buying zero-gravity corridors, soup-making machines, and rockets.

As your factories start to ship soup, you’ll earn the cash you need to expand and automate the exportation of soup with conveyor belts and robot workers.

Unlocking new robot types will allow for more complex loops, turning the production of soup into a giant “Rube Goldberg” machine.

You’re not alone! As your factory’s profits rise, rival soup corporations across the galaxy will fight for sales and interstellar soup-remacy. You’ll have to sell soup faster, make it tastier, and defend your factory with robot guards, weapons, and turrets.

Nom Nom Galaxy allows for solo or two-player split-screen, as well as up to four player online co-op. Two friends on splitscreen can also join online players for a four-player game.

The Galaxy Needs Soup!

Each alien planet is alive with a variety of weird plants and wild animals that flourish in different conditions. You’ll need to harvest and kill the native flora and fauna to create the galaxy’s most delicious soup recipes, combining new flavors to discover which ingredients taste good together.

Re-plant and grow ingredients nearby for a regular food source, employ robot gardeners to harvest for you, or team up with friends to take down nests and huge beasts.

Nom Nom Galaxy

Galactic Challenges

Travel to the Challenge Galaxy to put your skills to the test in fun, asynchronous challenges against friends and gamers around the world. Challenges incorporate existing mechanics on new levels where you’ll race, swim, pogo, fight and ship soup to earn medals and global bragging rights.

Solo and split-screen Challenges last a couple of days, allowing players to replay, protect their position, beat friends, and secure rewards. After that, new challenges on different planets will auto-generate for players to take part in.

This loop continues, providing a long-term competitive and social component to Nom Nom Galaxy, as well as opportunities for players to earn rewards and unique character abilities to carry back into the campaign.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

madmanwithabox12 said:

May 7th, 7:12 am

No mention of the mysterious Vita version yet again on PlayStation Blog. This is beyond a joke now. If you at Sony don’t care about the Vita, why should we?

May 7th, 7:43 am

Hello,

Regards Vita the reason is quite simple – we had to stop work on it so that we could focus on providing the best possible console experience on PS4 without sacrificing the game’s ambition and content.

It came down to cost and scheduling both platforms, and without cutting a ton of core features (on both platforms) the Vita just wasn’t going to be possible at the same time.

We’ve been working with the Vita since 2010 and it’s how we made our real start as a developer, so this wasn’t an easy decision for us.

We love Vita as much as you all. Never say never.

marcosplaysbass said:

May 7th, 7:14 am

Got to play this at Playstation Experience it was a lot of fun! And my Fiance is going to steal my playstation and disappear for awhile with this game thanks! xD

May 7th, 7:45 am

Thanks dude. I may have seen you there ;-)

Roaming_Ryu said:

May 7th, 7:18 am

PixelJunk Monsters 2 Please!!!!!

May 7th, 7:48 am

We love Monsters too ;-)

TwinDad said:

May 7th, 7:22 am

I’ve been wondering what Q-games has been up to. Good to see double 11 too. They did a great job Monsters for the Vita.

May 7th, 7:47 am

Thank you for the love. Shooter Ultimate is also one of ours if you tried that ;-).

madmanwithabox12 said:

May 7th, 7:28 am

So the Vita version was quietly cancelled. Thanks for telling us Sony!

MrDaBucket said:

May 7th, 7:36 am

No Vita?

Also, is this game the same as PixelJunk Inc, or is that cancelled?

Another thing: what ever happened to that PixelJunk Dungeon game? Was that ever real?

May 7th, 7:51 am

Yes, this was formally known as ‘Inc’ (which was the working title at the time). Nom Nom Galaxy is the new name, but it’s been Nom Nom Galaxy for some time – Announced at GamesCom last year.

TeamGreen615 said:

May 7th, 7:37 am

I love my Vita.

May 7th, 7:37 am

Hello there.

My name is Gaz and I’m the Design Manager here at Double 11. I’m here to answer questions you may have about the game for the next few days.

Thanks, Gaz

tusunami said:

May 7th, 7:39 am

I get it people are furious why is there not a PS Vita version to every game that comes out. Fortunately the thing is your not going always get what games you want to be on the PlayStation Vita so all the complaining is not helping you. But on another note looking forward to checking this out possibly.

SmokeAdellic said:

May 7th, 7:42 am

Yes all this and I 2nd Monsters 2 and Eden 2

madmanwithabox12 said:

May 7th, 8:01 am

@9: Umm. This actually WAS a Vita game. It’s not like people are asking for something they wouldn’t have had. It was going to be on Vita in the first place, but Sony kept it’s cancellation quiet because… well, Sony.

jibjab79 said:

May 7th, 8:10 am

* opens door *
No Man’s Sky? No?…
* slams door *

MegaRayIII said:

May 7th, 8:19 am

No offence but why would i want to play this game on PS4? On Vita maybe, but PS4? Meh.

May 7th, 8:25 am

Sorry to hear that MegaRayall… not your cup-of-soup eh ;-).

We love it, of course i’m gonna say that ;-), but building and defending epic soup factories in 4 player (splitscreen mixed with online), in a fully-destructible world can be a ton of fun.

Darth_NODlike said:

May 7th, 8:30 am

I don’t really get it from the video, but I didn’t get most of the other PixelJunk games from watching them either. I will pick this up when I get a PS4 because the other games are so good (especially Monsters). If it was on Vita, I would get it day one.

yowzagabowza said:

May 7th, 8:30 am

I only read the article because pixeljunk was involved. But the description just aint my thing.

Tomoprime said:

May 7th, 8:31 am

Terraria Campbell’s Soup Edition :)

Warped said:

May 7th, 8:46 am

I saw the title “Nom Nom Galaxy Lands on PS4 Next Week” and said what in the world is this….then I saw the Pixel Junk Logo and went straight to play the video! can’t wait =)

May 7th, 8:52 am

Thanks Warped. Hoped you enjoyed the trailer :)

Berae said:

May 7th, 8:50 am

Pixel junk monsters 2 on ps4! Please

iamtylerdurden1 said:

May 7th, 8:55 am

@9 tusunami – When ppl see these small handheld-centric games releasing only on ps4 and not on Vita it makes you wonder why? This games looks tailor made for Vita, it wouldn’t take a lot of effort to make it happen.

iamtylerdurden1 said:

May 7th, 8:57 am

I want this on Vita, the only way I would buy it is if it was on Vita (not remote play). Considering pixeljunk shooters (a more demanding game) was on Vita I don’t see why this can’t be.

death_nation100 said:

May 7th, 9:00 am

I used to thought you guys work for the illuminati judging by that Egyptian symbol lol.

May 7th, 9:47 am

Ha ha, yeah the Eye of Horus. There’s actually a ton of cool stuff related to that symbol… which I won’t go into ;-).

Amnalehu said:

May 7th, 9:03 am

I have been waiting for this for a while! It really looks like you guys put a lot of love into Nom Nom! I can’t wait to experience it on the PS4!

May 7th, 9:10 am

Thanks for the love, yeah we have. Its been a real project of passion for us.

JohnnySasaki said:

May 7th, 9:15 am

Awww yeah! I’ve stopped keeping up with the PC Early Access version because I just wanted to play a proper release and use a controller, so I’m very excited about this!

Corn-Pillow said:

May 7th, 9:15 am

You had me at Pixeljunk.

Armyless said:

May 7th, 9:19 am

Pixeljunk you are one of my favorite development studios. This game looks very cool, creative, competitive, colorful and FUN! Really ambitious of you, good job!

EGGS_ONE said:

May 7th, 9:32 am

I have no idea whats going on from the trailer, but I will check it out. Has to be fun riiiiiggght?

May 7th, 9:44 am

It’s a pretty quirky concept with a mix of a lot of gameplay genres; construction, exploring, platforming, tower defense, terraforming… The article above provides some additional detail but glad you sound excited.

MPaullin said:

May 7th, 9:37 am

Price?

May 7th, 9:41 am

Regards pricing… Unfortunately we can’t comment on that yet, but we will be providing a special price to PlayStation plus members when it launches.

MrDaBucket said:

May 7th, 9:45 am

Thanks for the replies @Gaz_Wright

I’ll Day1 this, definitely!

May 8th, 4:25 am

No problem. Glad to help where I can, and thanks for the love dude.

gerneric123 said:

May 7th, 9:47 am

I can’t respect the decision to dump Vita in favour of PS4. Both Terraria and Minecraft have been hugely successful on the platform, so it’s not like the the userbase isn’t an okay fit for the game. Instead you guys decided PS4 owners were more deserving. I’d be lying if I said I was going to buy Nom Nom Galaxy now.

One could say that abandoning a version of the game that would’ve been significantly different via touch and portability is ” sacrificing the game’s ambition.” But whatever, hope Double Eleven enjoys the PS4 fanbase complaining about yet another indie game on PS+ in six months.

Nom Nom Galaxy joins the ranks of Road Not Taken and Gun’s Up as Vita games that never were due to developers prioritizing PS4. It wouldn’t surprise me to see that list grow in the future. Sony tried to play off PS4’s arrival as a positive for Vita. That couldn’t be any less true. In Japan, Vita games that would otherwise be exclusive are now being ported to PS4 because Sony’s footing the bill. In the west, Vita games that would otherwise exist no longer because PS4 is the #1 priority. Sony’s response? lol use Remote Play.

May 7th, 9:57 am

Sorry to hear that dude… I can say honestly that it had nothing to do with potential sales or not love for the Vita gamers. I hope our lineage, previous successes and passion for Vita proves that.

It’s purely due to development, time-frames, and the obvious fact that is was being built and prototyped on PS4 as a base throughout. It wasn’t an easy decision for us.

Sangetsu-II said:

May 7th, 10:11 am

Where is The Tomorrow Children’s release date? We need a Beta!!

DJ_Tomato said:

May 7th, 10:25 am

#NoVitaNoBuy

DJ_Tomato said:

May 7th, 10:29 am

Vita
Buy

DarthSmurfX said:

May 7th, 10:39 am

If I buy this, will it speed up the release of The Tomorrow Children?

May 8th, 4:29 am

He he, sorry I can’t comment on TTC, that’s solely developed by Q-Games.

Welmosca said:

May 7th, 10:41 am

Never heard of this game before but it looks good and fun too but damn it also looks very complex as well…I might get lost in this game lol but I’m looking forward to try it out…any word on a demo?….
I love that we were promised demos for every PS4 game and we barely get any demo on PS4…ooh the irony.

@ 21 death_nation100 – Don’t scratch that thought yet…remember my friend when it comes to this subject NOTHING absolutely NOTHING is coincidence.

SladerStudios said:

May 7th, 10:55 am

I have no problem with them releasing the PS4 version before the Vita.
I just wonder, will it be cross-buy when it comes out?

Barnolde said:

May 7th, 11:12 am

PixelJunk Monsters for PS4 plzkthx!

SHARINGAN_JP said:

May 7th, 11:13 am

How many more games to take away from vita?

wilfareus said:

May 7th, 11:27 am

just to clarify – is there no chance we’ll see a Vita version?
or is this another case of PS4 first, Vita later?

EGGS_ONE said:

May 7th, 11:50 am

Thanks Gareth! Cant wait to try it out!!

May 8th, 4:27 am

Thanks for the support :)

al2009man said:

May 7th, 12:03 pm

@5/madmanwithabox12

Don’t be so buthurted about this. do you really expect the PS Vita to be more powerful than PS4 or an NVIDIA SHIELD?

besides, Double Eleven/Q-Games isn’t own by Sony. But, I’ll glad that Devs is honest about this situation.

May 8th, 4:48 am

Thanks, and yes we are independent. We are of course sorry about the Vita version. It comes down to how can we get the PS4 ver out, on time and without cutting features or quality (the game was obviously built and developed on PS4 so it was much. much further ahead).

Double 11 got mad love for Vita and a lot of past success with our Vita games, so it wasn’t an easy decision, and wouldn’t be based on favoring one over the other.

perrandy said:

May 7th, 12:49 pm

@21 horus was the son of osiris and isis (i think) which is the satan of egyptian mythology.this symbol is also being used by hermetic societies all over the world such as the O.T.O or order temple orientis which was founded by alester crowley.for more info about how “cool” this symbol is google vigilant citizen and see what this is all about. enjoy!

hyutsume said:

May 7th, 12:53 pm

so will have a ps vita version or not? maybe in development or maybe in future? or just no?

ksmooches said:

May 7th, 1:30 pm

I’ve been playing this on Steam Early Access for a bit and recently got my 8 year old little sister on. She was immediately addicted. I’m really excited to repurchase on the PS4 as that will be much easier for us to play on (it’s connected to the bigger TV). It’s a really fun game and I can’t wait to get into some of the larger areas. It’s also a bit on the easier side, which is great since I play with the little one and sometimes I just want to play a more…relaxing game.

Happy to see it on PS4, and I can honestly tell people to just buy it, don’t worry about a demo or something. If you need something to compare it to from someone who has owned the full(ish) product for quite some time now: Take Terraria, add in that simple click to build/business sim from Armor Games website “Corporation Inc”, and also toss in some Diner Dash with the mix and match combos that change daily due to food fads. Maybe a little bit of Recettear without the bartering.

May 8th, 4:50 am

Great analogies and thanks for the love.

gerneric123 said:

May 7th, 2:02 pm

@40 If you read Gareth’s responses he never says the issue is Vita’s hardware capabilities.

JMG24BAD said:

May 7th, 2:28 pm

I love the way this game looks. Im going to buy it next week

May 8th, 4:26 am

Thanks very much for the support.

plaztiksyke said:

May 7th, 3:17 pm

Finally! I supported the game on Steam, and will happily buy again on PS4.

If the Vita version is coming later (which I’m totally cool with), will it be cross-buy? Will it have the same performance issues that Monsters and Shooter did on Vita?

Are you guys doing the PixelJunk work for Morpheus, or is that being handles in-house by them? 4am and Eden experiences on Morpheus are total no-brainers :)

redknight4 said:

May 7th, 3:23 pm

I’m happy to see a port of the pc version to the ps4.
I still remember the first trailer for the early access version having to do with the devs making soup and introducing the concept of nom nom galaxy. I found it was easy to play on pc with a usb x-input controller.

the game is more of a non portable designed game imo.

kmtburton said:

May 7th, 5:15 pm

Didn’t know this was rebranded from PixelJunk Inc. if it gets me half as addicted as Terraria then I’ll be putting a few hundred hours in in the coming months. With this, TTC, NMS and hopefully Starbound this is going to be a great year for games.

PanTheMan16 said:

May 7th, 6:20 pm

I’m really torn here. Such an awful title is generally indicative of a gash grab and a lack of talent and creativity, but this IS a PixelJunk game, and those are usually awesome.

Will there be a demo? PJ games have always had them, but PS4 users rarely see any. Extremely frustrating considering that 2-ish years ago Sony said that every game this gen would have a demo.

nolson said:

May 7th, 7:22 pm

@madmanwithabox

I see putting the blame on Sony for this not coming to Vita, but that decision is entirely left up to the developers. In this case Q-Games. Stop being so whiny. Not a good look bro.

PAGE 1 2