PlayStation Vue

May 11

ARK

ARK: Survival Evolved Coming to PS4, Project Morpheus

Jesse Rapczak's Avatar Posted by on May 11, 2015 // founder and technical art director, Studio Wildcard

ARK: Survival Evolved on PS4, Project Morpheus

We just announced ARK: Survival Evolved and I’m here to tell you how excited we are about bringing this experience to PS4 and Project Morpheus. From the earliest stages of our development we knew we had an opportunity to create a game that pushes next-gen gameplay experiences in addition to providing awesome visuals. The result is that the world of ARK and its inhabitants feel like a real place that you can walk through, explore, and truly experience in your own way.

The PS4’s powerful hardware has allowed us to bring a scale and scope to the game that wasn’t previously possible in the console space. We’re shooting for the moon with this one, a fully persistent game world, tens of thousands of AI entities, totally destructible foliage and environment, and multiplayer on a huge scale. And yeah, we’ve got dinosaurs. Dinosaurs that you can ride! At release, we’re shooting for about 60 distinct species, and we don’t plan to just have them just wandering around as cannon fodder.

ARK: Survival Evolved on PS4, Project Morpheus

All creatures in ARK have their own living ecosystems, predator hierarchies, and an autonomy that exists outside of the players’ influences. Their interactions with each other intertwine with the way that players might use them, because almost every one of our creatures will be able to be tamed and used for peace or for war. The PS4 has the horsepower to pull this off, so we’re really excited to be finally bringing these kinds of next-generation gameplay experiences to consoles.

We didn’t stop there, though, because what’s better than experiencing all of this as if you were really there? After working for almost three years pioneering and creating high-end experiences for HMDs, I can tell you with good confidence that not much compares to soaring over the jungles and mountains of ARK’s islands on the back of your very own pteranodon. The feeling of immersion the team has created in this beautiful world simply has to be experienced first-hand; it is profound and impactful, and even for me was a little bit surprising when I first tried ARK in VR.

ARK: Survival Evolved on PS4, Project Morpheus

When you design an experience like this, one of the most important things is to not fall into the trap of focusing on one platform and type of input while letting the chips fall where they may on the rest. Just like a mouse versus a gamepad, you have to design with VR in mind from the beginning. All of your testing, all of your gameplay elements, they need to tie into the experience of wearing a VR headset, the different FOV, the perception of motion and presence that exists between looking at a flat computer screen and virtually “being there.” In the end we don’t just “allow” for VR, we recommend it — and ARK will be a richer game because of it.

PAGE 1 2 3

+ paulogy on May 11th, 2015 at 10:05 am said:

One of the first things I’d want to do with a VR headset is have the experience of seeing dinosaurs up close, so I’m glad to see one of the first games announced lets you do just that :-)

Jesse Rapczak's Avatar

+ Jesse Rapczak on May 11th, 2015 at 10:30 am said:

That’s what got us so excited about bringing ARK to VR! Seeing these massive beasts up close and riding them in VR (in first person) is really special. The scale of depth you can experience is so much greater than most other games, and lifting off on your pteranodon to head toward the skies feels like a huge rush of adrenaline.

+ israelpacheco89 on May 11th, 2015 at 10:13 am said:

I think I just died and went to heaven…this looks awesome!!! Project Morpheus support…BINGO…DINO DNA!!!

+ DarthSmurfX on May 11th, 2015 at 10:18 am said:

Oh. My.

+ Goldanas on May 11th, 2015 at 10:18 am said:

I’m happy to hear things are being announced for Morpheus. I bet we’ll be seeing more about the hardware come E3.

One thing I hope for this experience over VR is that remains at 60 or 120 fps. It seems like it may be disorienting if the images against your face were at a lesser framerate.

+ T3DV0L70L1N4 on May 11th, 2015 at 10:27 am said:

Completely agree with #1!

+ Naustradamus on May 11th, 2015 at 10:35 am said:

I’m not sure I can get this on PS4 as much as I’d like to …

The early access on PC might get me first =(

+ cmdluke on May 11th, 2015 at 10:36 am said:

Nice! Great to see things being built from the ground up specifically for Morpheus. Will definitely check this out next month at E3!

+ ZGamer097 on May 11th, 2015 at 10:40 am said:

Is this game only multiplayer focused or will it have a single player campaign as well?

Jesse Rapczak's Avatar

+ Jesse Rapczak on May 11th, 2015 at 1:41 pm said:

Primarily multiplayer-focused, although it’s possible to play the game alone on your own hosted server. ARK isn’t just about survival, we are injecting a lot of mystery and exploration into the game to allow you to unravel the backstory and the end game at your own pace!

+ Craazy on May 11th, 2015 at 10:41 am said:

You just let me know if you need me to beta test that hardware/software combo :) #PSMVP

+ Seluhir on May 11th, 2015 at 10:41 am said:

Wait… that last screenshot makes me think this isn’t just first person… is this true? Can I play the game third person? If so, I’m definitely interested. If not, well, I wish you guys the best but I won’t be playing lol

Jesse Rapczak's Avatar

+ Jesse Rapczak on May 11th, 2015 at 1:43 pm said:

ARK is primarily first person, as we have found third person games don’t make for very good VR experiences. That being said, there is an optional third person mode for dinosaur riding when you are not playing with a HMD like Morpheus.

+ death_nation100 on May 11th, 2015 at 10:45 am said:

The 1st Project Morpheus game ever on The PS Blog.

+ bone-snypa on May 11th, 2015 at 10:52 am said:

If the ps4 is so powerful why can’t it play every game in full 1080p & 60fps or why do they release unfinished games. Why can’t they fix certain bugs in games that have been present for the past 6 years (certain games).

+ livingwithoutyou on May 11th, 2015 at 10:55 am said:

So do plan on releasing this before or after the release of Project Morpheus?

+ plaztiksyke on May 11th, 2015 at 10:59 am said:

ride dinosaurs in VR? without making people sick?

I’d be more interested in seeing the Walking With DInosars wonderbook title brought to Morpheus. I’d rather feed dinosaurs and see them interact in a scene where I’m sitting still.

+ PhenixNguyen- on May 11th, 2015 at 11:01 am said:

Glad it’s coming to the PS4. I’m holding off on the VR Headset. Don’t want to spend money on VR headset and have it not being supported because it’s not selling well. I’ll wait and see.

+ OnTheBus666 on May 11th, 2015 at 11:06 am said:

Want it so bad gimmie gimmie gimmie

+ RelicAssassin on May 11th, 2015 at 11:07 am said:

Open world survival with dinos in VR?! I think i just died and went to heaven.

+ RyTeOuS on May 11th, 2015 at 11:07 am said:

wow! I am all over this, can we expect this when Morpheus launches on or before June 2016? will there be an E3 demo?

+ playstantion on May 11th, 2015 at 11:12 am said:

I saw the gameplay trailer and i’m totally buying this game! i would like to know if this game is MMO or is it online with friends? this game a lot of potential!

Jesse Rapczak's Avatar

+ Jesse Rapczak on May 11th, 2015 at 1:46 pm said:

Not quite an MMO, although your character, your progress in the world and stats / items are persistent on the server you choose to play on. We are currently aiming for a large (greater than 64) number of simultaneous players logged in to a server at one time.

+ bbswarrior_11 on May 11th, 2015 at 11:24 am said:

This will be pimping in Morpheus.

+ Doctor_Hank_Pym on May 11th, 2015 at 11:29 am said:

I am champing at the bit to find out more about Project Morpheus; price, release date, and further titles like this!! Sounds like a fantastic use of the tech. Great comment from #14 above though; many may rather explore/interact-with/learn about dinosaurs rather than ride them, so I hope it allows for that too.

+ lxcainxl on May 11th, 2015 at 11:39 am said:

We’ve been told that Virtual Reality is “right around the corner!!!” for 26 years.

You’ll have to excuse me…. *yawn*

+ SHIN-O-B on May 11th, 2015 at 11:40 am said:

security

+ megacarlos on May 11th, 2015 at 11:46 am said:

Morpheus better aleast allow me to play all my games even if not vr supported because the way sony abandons their tech it makes me iffy but this game looks awesome and would get the game and Morpheus day one for it but I don’t want another vita or ps tv debacle

+ Welmosca on May 11th, 2015 at 11:53 am said:

So this game don’t require Morpheus?…cuz I see a lot and I mean a lot of potential in this game,when I saw that pic in the main page I immediately thought Farcry 3 ha…and thats a great thing although this one looks more beautiful.

Looking forward to hear more about this game and possibly a gameplay video?…yeah please and can’t wait to see the price of Morpheus.I will be playing Ark with Morpheus no doubt.

Jesse Rapczak's Avatar

+ Jesse Rapczak on May 11th, 2015 at 1:48 pm said:

ARK does not require Morpheus, but we are making a special effort to design a great VR experience. If you love VR, you will love ARK with Morpheus. If you don’t like VR, you will still love ARK on PS4!

+ bam37 on May 11th, 2015 at 11:57 am said:

so 2017???????

+ DonkeyKongKilla on May 11th, 2015 at 12:03 pm said:

VR survival game, sounds legit haha nice

@bone – every game I’ve played been 1080P, bugs for games 6 yrs old but its only 2 itself hmmm. Oh and bugs plus the quality of video is on the devs not the ps4. Unfinished games again, on the dev team.

+ djsaiyan on May 11th, 2015 at 12:03 pm said:

This might just be the game that gets me onboard the VR train.

+ AizawaYuuichi on May 11th, 2015 at 12:11 pm said:

@ PhenixNguyen-: “Don’t want to spend money on VR headset and have it not being supported because it’s not selling well.”

Congratulations. You just perfectly explained a “self-fulfilling prophecy”. Granted you have every right to not buy a Morpheus, but when you and EVERY OTHER PERSON doesn’t buy something due to fears of it not selling, guess what? It doesn’t sell. And then it doesn’t get support.
Sometimes if you want something to succeed and get support, you have to buy it up front, BEFORE it has all the support. Developers won’t make content for dead platforms. Compare the PS4 with the Vita or Wii U for a perfect example.

+ Skater_Ricky on May 11th, 2015 at 12:21 pm said:

I sure hope this game support’s Online Co-op gameplay. Having this experience in VR with yourself is cool and all but having someone with you experience the VR world together is mind blowing. Gamer’s can share stories together and experience the open environment together. Survive together in a harsh landscape full of danger. Sticking together online to survive cooperatively is what I hope is in ARK: Survival Evolved. Make my dreams come true please.

Jesse Rapczak's Avatar

+ Jesse Rapczak on May 11th, 2015 at 1:50 pm said:

ARK is first and foremost an online multiplayer game. Depending on the players you game with and the other players you encounter, you will find yourself in a variety of Co-Op (PvE) and PvP situations at any given time.

+ Skater_Ricky on May 11th, 2015 at 12:32 pm said:

@AizawaYuuichi, Well said. Gamer’s don’t realize if you want something to do well you have to buy into it early.

Trust me Project Morpheus is going to blow your sock’s off. Experiencing something you won’t ever experience in your life time all in the comfort of your living room is out this world incredible.

Having the ability to ride a dinosaur on land and in the air will be breathtaking. Being able to be on Mars and look around the Mars landscape will be a mind blowing experience you won’t get anywhere else.

Showing your grandma how fast it feel’s going 200 mph on a race track in Project CARS will be a experience to share with the whole family.

#4ThePlayers & #4TheFamily

+ Axellent21 on May 11th, 2015 at 12:33 pm said:

This looks awesome! Is it just me or does this look like “The Hunter” Dino DLC that jacksepticeye played?

+ Axellent21 on May 11th, 2015 at 12:35 pm said:

Another thing to look forward to in 2015, No Man’s Sky, then Star Wars Battlefront, then This! Keep up the good work Playstation!

+ ATOMS11 on May 11th, 2015 at 12:37 pm said:

Its a great time to be alive.

+ Ravenous74 on May 11th, 2015 at 12:37 pm said:

It amazes me on how much video games are evolving all the time. This looks incredible…if this is what we are getting with VR I think it’s going to be the next huge step.

+ Axellent21 on May 11th, 2015 at 12:38 pm said:

This is the year for next gen games, it totally is.

+ Axellent21 on May 11th, 2015 at 12:44 pm said:

Hopefully this won’t require Morpheus, I really don’t want to buy it just for this game, PLZ DON’T MAKE US BUY MORPHEUS!!!!!

+ Ragnorok545 on May 11th, 2015 at 12:54 pm said:

Looks freaking amazing. Could only imagine what it would be like with vr. Has anyone heard about the forest coming out on ps4. Or it’s release date?

+ Seluhir on May 11th, 2015 at 12:57 pm said:

@29 That’s a very good point, but you also have to take the flipside of it… a company can’t expect people to buy into an expensive experimental project without offering valid reasons to do so. I bought a Vita because they gave me reasons to feel it was a good purchase. Currently none of the VR offerings have been able to provide this for me, so while I am interested in the tech(albeit for different reasons than other people since the first person perspective doesn’t interest me), I am not interested in investing the money into it because companies have not given me reason to feel that it WILL pay off.

Hopefully that will change, but until it does, I will not invest. It isn’t about it being worth it AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE but rather me having confidence that the tech will deliver something for me to be interested in. The PS4 is a purchase that has only just started to ‘pay off’ despite me purchasing it day 1, but I never regretted purchasing it day 1 because I was confident that it would reach that point in time.

That’s the difference, I currently have no reason to believe that the current iterations of the tech will ever reach the point that I will be satisfied with my purchase, so I do not invest.

+ NYPUNK88 on May 11th, 2015 at 1:43 pm said:

You have no idea how much I love you right now, Sony. <3

+ auron2 on May 11th, 2015 at 2:03 pm said:

All it needs is racecars, jets and explosions for it to be most perfect game ever.

Jesse Rapczak's Avatar

+ Jesse Rapczak on May 11th, 2015 at 2:18 pm said:

We do plan to add vehicles during Early Access prior to console release – so you may get your wish! And explosions are already in there. ;)

+ Psychoz69 on May 11th, 2015 at 2:29 pm said:

Man if i can’t tame a T-Rex, I’m gonna be disappointed, however i’ll be super depressed if there isn’t a Sabre-tooth Tiger in the game, for me to fulfill my He-Man Fantasy.

Jesse Rapczak's Avatar

+ Jesse Rapczak on May 11th, 2015 at 10:33 pm said:

You can tame a T-Rex AND a Saber-Toothed tiger. Enjoy! :)

+ subsamuel01 on May 11th, 2015 at 2:33 pm said:

Alright, Project Morpheus VR support has just got my interested in this.

+ Blunt_Whisperer on May 11th, 2015 at 3:06 pm said:

Ahhhhh so much frickin HYPE! I want to go scream off the top of a mountain! YEEESSS!

+ Seluhir on May 11th, 2015 at 3:57 pm said:

Well that’s a pity. BEst of luck with your project, but I won’t be playing it.

On a side note, I completely disagree with that assertion. I believe it just takes a team making the experience the right way for a third person VR to be great. And I eagerly await the first company or individual who manages to pull it off.

Jesse Rapczak's Avatar

+ Jesse Rapczak on May 11th, 2015 at 10:37 pm said:

I hear what you are saying, and it is possible depending on the type of game. Prior to founding Wildcard I worked at Microsoft on HoloLens for 2.5 years designing all sorts of prototype experiences in VR and MR, and I am very familiar with the challenges and pitfalls of HMDs. Rest assured that we are applying all of our knowledge in the HMD space to make ARK a great showcase VR experience.

+ bones7222 on May 11th, 2015 at 4:03 pm said:

oh my day,s this game look,s awesome day one for sure.and morpheus support as well pure heaven, take my money now!!!

+ Axellent21 on May 11th, 2015 at 4:31 pm said:

One question, will we get a beta of this game, because battlefield hardline did it, and it only makes sense If ARK does the same thing. It wouldn’t be fair for only one platform to have early access yah know..

+ Axellent21 on May 11th, 2015 at 4:33 pm said:

I meant beta for PS4 and Xbox One,

Jesse Rapczak's Avatar

+ Jesse Rapczak on May 11th, 2015 at 10:39 pm said:

It’s not unlikely that there will be a public or closed console beta much closer to launch. We’ll have more details when the time comes, but won’t know for sure until sometime in 2016.

+ Axellent21 on May 11th, 2015 at 4:51 pm said:

PLZ RESPOND!!!

+ wdavidson on May 11th, 2015 at 4:59 pm said:

Sony, when are you going to fix the Vitas that you broke with the 3.5 firmware update?

PAGE 1 2 3