Uncharted 4

Jun 10

ratchetandclank

Ratchet & Clank on PS4: Where Past and Future Meet

James Stevenson's Avatar Posted by on Jun 10, 2015 // Community Lead, Insomniac Games

Hey everyone. We know Ratchet & Clank, Insomniac Games, and PlayStation fans have been waiting to get a glimpse of Ratchet & Clank for PS4. We’re excited to bring you that first look today — ahead of its playable debut on the showfloor of E3 next week.

In this trailer, you’ll see a few glimpses of footage from the film, and then your first-ever look at gameplay footage directly from the game coming exclusively to PS4 in Spring 2016. Check it out.

We knew early on that we didn’t want to just up-res Ratchet & Clank for PS2. We started out thinking of Ratchet & Clank on PS4 as a “re-imagining” of the 2002 original, revised to tie in with the deeper version of Ratchet’s origin story (as seen in the film). We envisioned a curated Ratchet & Clank experience that borrowed from the spirit of the classic PS2 games while infusing some of the best elements from the Ratchet & Clank Future games.

We ended up with a new game, with elements based on the original — but now with modern controls, several new planets, new and updated gameplay segments, all-new Clank gameplay, all new boss fights, new flight sequences, and more… all constructed to take advantage of the graphical prowess of PS4. Throw in James Arnold Taylor as Ratchet, and you have a new beginning.

The fresh start means we changed up the arsenal quite a bit as well. As always with Ratchet & Clank games, you battle your enemies with an out-of-this-world arsenal. In the PS4 version of Ratchet & Clank, the majority of the arsenal is made up of weapons that weren’t in the original game. That means both new weapons and fan-favorite tools of destruction from the Ratchet & Clank Future series will fill out Ratchet’s kit. From the brand new Pixelizer (which transforms enemies into explosive 8-bit pixels) to franchise favorites like the dance-party-inducing Groovitron and wise-cracking robotic bodyguard Mr. Zurkon, Ratchet & Clank’s arsenal has never been better.

Ratchet & Clank

When we were asked recently to come up for a special bonus for fans that support Ratchet & Clank on PS4 by pre-ordering it, we went back to the list of our favorite weapons that we hadn’t yet brought to the game. In the end, it was a no-brainer, and I’m ecstatic to say that when you pre-order the game, you’ll get access to one of my all-time favorite weapons from Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando… The Bouncer. The Bouncer launches a bomb that releases a plethora of tiny homing bombs that bounce towards targets. One of the most effective and spectacular Ratchet & Clank weapons ever.

We couldn’t be more excited to debut Ratchet & Clank on PS4 and the silver screen next Spring. Help Ratchet and Clank save the galaxy for the first time, again!

If you have questions, we’ll do our best to answer them in the comments below.

PAGE 1 2 3

+ JoeMaMa81 on June 10th, 2015 at 7:02 am said:

It’s been a while since Crack in Time, so I’m ready for more Ratchet!! (Hi Colin and Greg?) lol

+ Silver_shion on June 10th, 2015 at 7:18 am said:

They’re lame

PS: I love the reply button

+ KGrillz on June 10th, 2015 at 7:29 am said:

COLIN you were RIGHT about Shovel Knight! Awesome game!

+ FrankDaPronStar on June 10th, 2015 at 7:45 am said:

I must agree with this. I am also liking the reply feature but it seems like a lot of stuff got screwy or maybe became incompatible with my browser. Also, hi Colin and Greg <3

+ KevinKFBacon on June 10th, 2015 at 10:52 am said:

I want a Colin & Greg: The Game over this ratchet nonsense! Give the people what they want SHU!

+ MolotovMan1263 on June 10th, 2015 at 7:02 am said:

Awesome! So excited for this. It is time.

Hello Kinda Funny Games

+ BluenoseGames on June 10th, 2015 at 7:03 am said:

This looks Kinda Funny ;)

Might get this

+ paulogy on June 10th, 2015 at 7:04 am said:

Looking good! It makes sense the new R&C would tie in closely with the movie, but I wasn’t sure just HOW closely. This looks to be much more successful than that Street Fighter The Movie The Game ;-)

As for questions, is there any local co-op?

I know Colin & Greg are big Insomniac fans, so I’m curious what their reaction will be to this ;-)

+ Silver_shion on June 10th, 2015 at 7:19 am said:

They’re lame

PS: I love the reply button

+ XXKid-MightyXX on June 10th, 2015 at 10:44 am said:

KINDA

+ paulogy on June 10th, 2015 at 11:29 am said:

FUNNY :-)

+ brad74111 on June 10th, 2015 at 7:07 am said:

This is looking Great!

+ Trothgar on June 10th, 2015 at 7:09 am said:

Hi Colin and Greg!

+ DBa11_r on June 10th, 2015 at 7:09 am said:

Thought that people including myself might be burned out from this franchise but this looks awesome! WELL DONE! Cant’t wait.

+ Pabloo1010 on June 10th, 2015 at 7:09 am said:

Best graphics i’ve ever seen… speechless really. *Throws money at screen* Best reboot ever? Now give me some multiplayer!

+ totwind on June 11th, 2015 at 2:34 pm said:

Agreed .. I second that notion.

+ ThaKingTropy on June 10th, 2015 at 7:11 am said:

Reboot looks Kinda Interesting.

Hi Colin and Greg :D

+ Hamood07 on June 10th, 2015 at 7:12 am said:

Why is every one talking about colin and greg R&C are back get HYPED!
oh wait 2016! never mind

+ team7sasuke on June 10th, 2015 at 7:12 am said:

Will this game run at 60 Frames Per Second like the original did?

+ ACETHEOUTLAW on June 10th, 2015 at 7:30 am said:

No, they publicly have said 30fps, mainly because of 1080p image quality.

Also there’s 8 Minutes of gameplay here:

+ FearMonkey on June 10th, 2015 at 7:31 am said:

Well, the originals weren’t locked at 60fps, they were variable 60fps. And I hope this one is too. Ratchet at 30fps felt off to me in Into the Nexus. I hope with the extra power of the PS4 they’re able to bring back that variable 60fps goodness.

+ sheengrtr on June 10th, 2015 at 7:12 am said:

Hey Jstevenson,any chance of a Resistance:Fall of Man ‘re-imagining’?

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on June 10th, 2015 at 7:32 am said:

No plans for anything Resistance!

+ thefoxymoron on June 10th, 2015 at 7:40 am said:

YES! I would love to see either a remastered collection or ANYTHING about Resistance on the PS4!

+ ptuck874 on June 10th, 2015 at 7:46 am said:

sad face on that one :(

+ KazeEternal on June 10th, 2015 at 8:46 am said:

ooo sweet Replies are open now!

I’m with you Sheen. I’d love to have Resistance re-imagining or even a reboot. I’d love to see the return of the 8 player co-op of Resistance 2 (which I was hoping would be something that was realized better in FUSE).

+ GameOverGreggy on June 10th, 2015 at 10:46 am said:

Give us what we want, James!

+ COLD_CUT_NEO on June 10th, 2015 at 12:41 pm said:

We likely won’t see anything original titles or anything resistance from insomniac on PS4… They moved over to the dark side with sunset overhype on the xbone

+ Destiny89 on June 10th, 2015 at 7:12 am said:

Give me anything with Ratchet and Clank name on it and i’ll buy it.. looking really good guys this is an insta purchase and one of the reasons why i own a PS4

+ qwarktastic01 on June 10th, 2015 at 7:13 am said:

I’ve been waiting for this announcement since it was teased on the IG forums and I must say I’m not at the slightest disappointed. It looks bloody amazing. Are able to share anything on length?

+ Roaming_Ryu on June 10th, 2015 at 7:13 am said:

Really looking forward to this. Looks fantastic!

+ Bellalara on June 10th, 2015 at 7:15 am said:

Can’t wait to for 2016!

+ zekececil14 on June 10th, 2015 at 9:06 am said:

It won’t come soon enough. lol

+ deridds on June 10th, 2015 at 7:15 am said:

Please tell me you put the rift induced in this game. I feel like that weapon would look awesome with the power of the PS4.

+ TomHoang on June 10th, 2015 at 7:17 am said:

Those graphics are just… wow! It reminds me of when I first saw Tools of Destruction on PS3 and thought “that can’t be actual gameplay footage.” Of course this will be a day 1 buy for me as I am a huge R&C fan and have platinumed every single game. This could be the definitive movie based game…that’s a game based movie?

+ Militaratus on June 10th, 2015 at 7:18 am said:

Missed opportunity for not calling it Ratchet & Clank: The Game based on the Movie based on the Game

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on June 10th, 2015 at 7:35 am said:

that’s the tagline! too long for a subtitle!

+ Renan_Acid on June 10th, 2015 at 8:45 am said:

Or “Ratchet & Clank: The Movie: The Game. :v

+ Darth_NODlike on June 10th, 2015 at 7:25 am said:

Glad to know Mr. Zurkon will be back. Best Weapon Ever!

+ cubbielovr on June 10th, 2015 at 7:27 am said:

2016, the year of Ratchet and Clank. I will preorder as soon as I can, thanks Insomniac!

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on June 10th, 2015 at 7:37 am said:

thanks so much for your support!

+ FearMonkey on June 10th, 2015 at 7:28 am said:

First of all the game looks AMAZING! Can’t wait to get it. Day One! (if I have the money which I currently don’t)

Secondly…

Sony, please, for the love of Qwark, *STOP* with the pre-order bonus garbage. Everybody should have the same content at all times! Period!

+ xKrAzY_8sx on June 10th, 2015 at 9:49 pm said:

STFU about the pre-order stuff. It’s one weapon. It’s not like they are cutting out part of the story.

On topic, super excited for this and the movie. Spring of next year will be great for playstation fans because of Uncharted 4, and Ratchet and Clank (both the game and the movie!)

+ SeanStrange on June 10th, 2015 at 7:28 am said:

LOVE R&C so much! Can’t wait to play this come next Spring

+ Teflon02 on June 10th, 2015 at 7:31 am said:

Yes!!! Finally, looks amazing. Day ONE, preordering asap

+ dhunter_12 on June 10th, 2015 at 7:32 am said:

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES
I’M THROWING MONEY AT MY SCREEN BUT NOTHING HAPPENS!

+ Destiny89 on June 10th, 2015 at 7:33 am said:

Release this game now please! cant wait anymore! :P

+ WrekGar on June 10th, 2015 at 7:36 am said:

Yup on my radar for 2016 and the wallet already budgeting itself for the purchase.

PS MVP
Trophy Hunter

+ oo7PorscheMGS on June 10th, 2015 at 7:37 am said:

WOW. Graphics are gorgeous on this (always have been with ratchet and clank but dang…true ps4 baby!!!) and the comedy is 1 of the main reasons why so many people love the PlayStation platform games, so I’m glad you all are putting in the effort to make it an original style reboot instead of just a remake…which means new jokes, guns, environments, R+C awesomeness!!! I would have bought a remake, but when a developer cares about quality they earn respect and word of mouth / MORE sales! :) Always loved the guns in every single insomniac game… I’ll preorder!! Can you tell the groovitron is already workin on me?!?!!? :P

+ oo7PorscheMGS on June 10th, 2015 at 7:45 am said:

PS: i love replying to myself, since I cant edit my post, hahaha. I’m going to the SF, CA E3 Theater Event next week…Sony BETTER play this beauty (the trailer) on the big screen… Cant wait to see it on w HUGE screen instead of on my phone lol, I have to say it again; Beautiful graphics…amazing stuff Insomniacs!!!

+ Orpheum on June 10th, 2015 at 7:45 am said:

Amazing! Simply amazing! Day one

+ FearMonkey on June 10th, 2015 at 7:46 am said:

James, can you tell your friends at Naughty Dog that a Jak and Daxter game with these graphics would be a very nice thing to have. Just sayin’… :p

+ pscoolman on June 10th, 2015 at 7:47 am said:

Uncharted 4 and Ratchet and Clank coming out around the same time?!?! YES!!! It’ll be just like the old days – Jak and Daxter and Ratchet and Clank. Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank. Now it’s MORE UNCHARTED AND RATCHET AND CLANK!!!!!!!

+ FearMonkey on June 10th, 2015 at 7:50 am said:

Now we just need more Jak and Daxter! :p

+ Renan_Acid on June 10th, 2015 at 8:48 am said:

And Sly Cooper… I want the PS2 platforming trio back, plus Crash Bandicoot and Spyro, as soon as someone bombs Activi$ion’s headquarters. :P

+ pscoolman on June 10th, 2015 at 10:04 am said:

@FearMonkey Of course! I hope that’s the secret project Naughty Dog is also working on.
    @Renan_Acid YES!! Sly Cooper! A few years ago, I was saying that the Sly Collection should be remade but with Sly 4-like textures for the PS4. This Ratchet and Clank game is doing a very similar thing. I was hoping Sucker Punch would see this and realize that a mature remake of the first Sly game would work on this gen! With the Sly movie coming soon, I hope this is the case!

+ Welmosca on June 10th, 2015 at 12:15 pm said:

No no that would not be good…its way waaaaay better if they let Sanzaru make Sly 5…would be sweet a Sly 5 announcement at E3 with a 2016 release date.

+ sheengrtr on June 10th, 2015 at 7:47 am said:

Hey Jstevenson,you guys should make some plans for Resistance.

+ G-Force08 on June 10th, 2015 at 7:49 am said:

The game looks amazing. Still sad that it is delayed until next year but at least it will give you guys time to polish and make it even more amazing.

I can’t wait to play. Every R&C game has been tons of fun.

+ BlaqMagiq24 on June 10th, 2015 at 7:51 am said:

I’ve been with the series since the original and I will continue to be with this series. It’s one of my all time favorites hands down. Rest assured this game will be in my hands come 2016.

+ Neil on June 10th, 2015 at 8:02 am said:

Ratchet & Clank for PS4 is the Starfox game we’ve been waiting for.

+ Blackmagic316 on June 10th, 2015 at 8:05 am said:

So its a reboot? I kind of like that. These games are mad fun.

+ Deadpoolian on June 10th, 2015 at 8:05 am said:

I’M SO EXCITED! That trailer was absolutely amazing. Without a doubt my most anticipated game now! Thank you, Insomniac! Keep up the great work. :D

+ omegazio on June 10th, 2015 at 8:11 am said:

I can’t wait for this game thank you insomniac games :)

+ Spacerac on June 10th, 2015 at 8:24 am said:

Booooooo! Boooooo!

…the release date, that’s way too far away! Boooo!

+ Munty13 on June 10th, 2015 at 8:26 am said:

I feel like I always am to late commenting to get a reply but lets do it anyway.

Is Drek voiced by Paul Giamatti like he will be in the movie? As goes with John Goodman too.

Cannot wait for this. This trailer has blown my mind to smithereens.

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on June 10th, 2015 at 8:32 am said:

We’ll have details on the game voice cast later on.

Naturally James Arnold Taylor (Ratchet), David Kaye (Clank), and Jim Ward (Qwark) all play their normal characters in the game though

+ GoPens35 on June 10th, 2015 at 8:32 am said:

Bought my Ps4 two years too early!

+ Snigs on June 10th, 2015 at 8:34 am said:

I had a silly grin on my face the entire time I watched that. I’m going to watch it again.

Man that looks cool! I’ve been eagerly awaiting the return of the Bouncer so consider that pre-order placed!

I’m curious, are you guys shooting for 60 fps on this game? It was quite jarring for me to play Into The Nexus after getting a Platinum in each of the remasters, it just felt really different. I don’t mind if that’s not the goal, but it would be appreciated.

In any case! I’M REALLY EXCITED to play the game based on the movie based on one of my all-time favorite games.

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on June 10th, 2015 at 8:56 am said:

We’re 1080p/30fps… our goal was to match or exceed the fidelity of CG animated movies. When we first started we realized that was actually possible with PS4. Pretty exciting

+ zekececil14 on June 10th, 2015 at 10:10 am said:

That’s awesome! Exceeding a CG movie? Congrats!

+ KazeEternal on June 10th, 2015 at 8:41 am said:

YES! Pre-ordered!

This would have made my 2015, but super excited this will be coming in the spring. Between this and Uncharted I’m going to be a kid in a candy store for the first quarter of 2016.

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on June 10th, 2015 at 8:57 am said:

Thanks so much for your support!

+ Britta7x5 on June 10th, 2015 at 8:55 am said:

Never had the chance to play Ratchet and Clank. I had a the PS1 and PS2 at the time but didn’t get the chance. I heard this series is good. Should I pre order this?? Or should I try to play the old games first?

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on June 10th, 2015 at 8:57 am said:

This will be an ultimate point for you to launch into the series if you’ve never played before, giving you the origin story of Ratchet & Clank but in the best way possible.

That said, you can’t go wrong with the other games in the series too.

+ Britta7x5 on June 10th, 2015 at 9:26 am said:

Thanks for the reply! I am definitely pre ordering this ASAP!

+ SLEEPLESS_KNIGHT on June 10th, 2015 at 8:56 am said:

It so awesome to see that the 3D platformer is on the rise again! With Knack, then Playtonic Games’ Yooka-Laylee and now not only a new Ratchet & Clank game but a major motion picture to go with it, surely the genre will rise again! About time too as too many kids these days are playing too many games that aren’t age-appropriate due to the only people making kid-friendly games these days being Nintendo (but really who owns a Wii U?) and the Lego games. Looks great, can’t wait!

+ zekececil14 on June 10th, 2015 at 9:07 am said:

Love some of the new features here! But the font is absolutely horrible.

Thanks guys for finally giving us the ability to reply!!

+ PerpulStuf on June 10th, 2015 at 9:10 am said:

Huge Fan of Ratchet & Clank, since the very humble beginnings. This looks beautiful but I wanted to know if there will be a gameplay demo coming out sometime in the Future for those not going to E3? Possibly for those who have The 10th Anniversary Badge as their icon? Long Live Insomniac!

+ jona-yanky on June 10th, 2015 at 9:16 am said:

I never played the franchise and loved the trailer, now this is a must have xD

+ EddieTwoShoes on June 10th, 2015 at 9:17 am said:

I know this would be an awesome PS4 game and very incredible movie but I wonder if we might see a PS3 release of it… nonetheless I can’t wait to see the movie!

+ zekececil14 on June 10th, 2015 at 9:27 am said:

Also….. OMGOSH YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

THANK YOU GUYS!! I’M SO HAPPY!!

I have like every Ratchet except for FFA and ITN, because they aren’t on my PS4, but I have loved these games since FOREVER!!

Movie and game and game and movie… I just can’t belive it!!

THANK YOU!