Days Gone

Jun 11

everybodysgonetotherapture

Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture Comes to PS4 August 11th, 2015

Dan Pinchbeck's Avatar Posted by on Jun 11, 2015 // Creative Director, The Chinese Room

The world ended 31 years ago. That’s the premise of Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture, and we’re delighted to be able to announce the game’s launch date – August 11th, 2015.

To celebrate this, we’ve launched this dedicated website for the game, which will feature exclusive content – images, music and writing created just for the site. We want to set the scene for this game, introduce you to characters and themes of the story, get you exclusive previews of the game’s soundtrack and fill you in on some more of the work that’s gone on to create the title. We also wanted to share another piece of music from the game’s gorgeous soundtrack:

There’s going to be a lot more news about Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture coming out between now and launch, including a development diary which lifts the hood on how we got from the first ideas to this game we’ve poured heart and soul into over the last three years; another mini-documentary and lots more. But don’t worry – the mystery of what happened in Yaughton valley thirty-one years ago will remain buried in the empty fields and woods for you to discover.

Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture is the culmination of journey Jess and I started back in 2006, when we asked the simple question “what happens if you remove traditional mechanics from a game world? Will that be something people will want to play?”

Everybody's Gone to the RaptureEverybody's Gone to the Rapture

The answer to that question, the last nine years have proved, is a pretty emphatic YES. Dear Esther stood on the shoulders of giants, drawing on the long, proud design history of first-person gaming, to just try side-stepping into an area we believed was worth exploring. We look back now at the number of story-driven, exploration-driven games that have been produced since and that’s an incredible thing to be part of. We stand alongside studios and developers who are committed to pushing at the boundaries of what games can be, and that’s being part of a tradition as old as gaming itself. This medium has always been about those boundaries, that pushing out, that bending and breaking of rules to do new things, and we hope Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture will earn its place in that.

Personally, back in 1984 I was eleven years old, and obsessed with my ZX Spectrum. By then, I’d made a couple of games for myself, including a procedural cave shooter – it wasn’t much, but it worked, and being able to create something in this amazing space was about as cool as life got. If you’d told me then that one day I’d be squaring up to launching a game like Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture, I don’t think I could have believed it. But I know that the same giddy rush of excitement has never left me. Like Kate, one of the astronomers at the heart of Rapture’s story puts it – “my hands are shaking. I’m like a little kid.”

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture

Jess & I are really lucky to have an amazing team working on this project and they’ve done an outstanding job. It’s been an incredible game to work on and we hope you enjoy it as much as we’ve enjoyed making it.

There are strange voices on the television and numbers on the phone; lights in the skies and electricity in the air. The end of the world is coming.

37 Comments

+ paulogy on June 11th, 2015 at 6:02 am said:

I just LOVE everything I’ve seen about this game so far. I kinda can’t take the anticipation anymore. Can’t wait to experience it for myself :-)

+ paulogy on June 11th, 2015 at 6:07 am said:

Oh, and in the meantime everyone should check out Dear Esther. It’s an awesome experience and seems like a good example of what this studio is all about. As they say, “We stand alongside studios and developers who are committed to pushing at the boundaries of what games can be”

And for this, I say THANK YOU!

+ therealmrdude on June 11th, 2015 at 6:46 am said:

Is Dear Ester on PS4?

+ paulogy on June 11th, 2015 at 6:56 am said:

Dear Esther is on PC, Mac, and Linux only. But perhaps someday! ;-)

+ therealmrdude on June 11th, 2015 at 9:23 am said:

I’m kinda sad now

+ honkayjeezus on June 12th, 2015 at 12:26 pm said:

Stop spamming.

+ RyTeOuS on June 11th, 2015 at 6:05 am said:

Yes, I will be getting this

+ Ghost_Six6 on June 11th, 2015 at 6:07 am said:

So excited about this game.

Also hey Colin and Greg.

+ honkayjeezus on June 12th, 2015 at 12:26 pm said:

Spam.

+ TrueRadiantFree on June 15th, 2015 at 3:40 am said:

What is all this Colin and Greg garbage about?

+ Hestar69 on June 11th, 2015 at 6:09 am said:

6 days before my Birthday..I know what I’ll be buying as an early present for me :)

+ ossiecastro5 on June 11th, 2015 at 6:14 am said:

I like what I see here. I’ll be on the lookout for more info once I get a PS4.

+ spacedelete2 on June 11th, 2015 at 6:24 am said:

i’ll wait until this is free on PS Plus.

+ CrusaderForever on June 11th, 2015 at 6:53 am said:

Really? Why post this comment?

+ honkayjeezus on June 12th, 2015 at 12:27 pm said:

Ditto. Within a month of it being on sale for half off is pretty much a guarantee it will be free with PS Plus.

+ Bellalara on June 11th, 2015 at 6:36 am said:

YES! Day one buy!

+ DaioujousBell on June 11th, 2015 at 6:39 am said:

So I’m totally excited for this. But seems odd that you announced this 4 days before e3 conference. If this isn’t one of the big announcements I can’t imagine what’s up Sony’s sleeve for Monday. If this is even half a good a dear Ester or Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs I know what I’ll be doing all night agust 11th.

+ CrusaderForever on June 11th, 2015 at 6:55 am said:

It’s almost like everyone wants their spotlight. They don’t want their news to be lost in the avalanche of news from E3. Or, Sony has so much to announce they don’t have enough time during their E3 presentation!! :)

+ Foxx on June 11th, 2015 at 6:41 am said:

Can’t wait to see this one come out – never had a chance to play Dear Esther but I’ll be lining up (virtually) to play this. :)

+ therealmrdude on June 11th, 2015 at 6:42 am said:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I can’t wait for this game! I’ve been so excited for this game to come out. Can’t wait to hear what Colin and Greg have to say about this over on Twitch during Colin and Greg Live! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

+ CrusaderForever on June 11th, 2015 at 6:47 am said:

Just going to give you a heads up………there is such a thing as negative advertising. Many, many gamers come to the PSBlog to read about Playstation news. Constantly reading about you know who ruins the experience making me and I am sure others never want to visit their channel. Keep that in mind. The first time I read it I was look cool. The next time it was like really!? The third time killed that channel for me. I will never visit their channel. So congrats.

+ CrusaderForever on June 11th, 2015 at 6:43 am said:

Amazing, can’t wait to play it. Another Exclusive out this year for Sony! Keep up the good work.

+ jrodfantastic on June 11th, 2015 at 7:12 am said:

Yes! Yes! Yes!

+ bbswarrior_11 on June 11th, 2015 at 7:22 am said:

Super awesome news!!! I´ve been waiting for this game since I found out about it. Now it´s so close! Any info on pricing. Just want to know, I don´t complain about that, ever.

+ thecurbcreeper on June 11th, 2015 at 7:42 am said:

Is this PS Store only or will there be a physical release?

+ TeamGreen615 on June 11th, 2015 at 9:20 am said:

I would like to know as well. A very important question for collectors.

+ MaxieMostel on June 11th, 2015 at 8:37 am said:

Looks and sounds fantastic! C’mon August 11. Get here already.

+ oo7PorscheMGS on June 11th, 2015 at 9:44 am said:

Beautiful music and light trailers that are just making me want to see more!!!

Also, NO hello to greg + colin! (Will they kill me for this, will it result in a rapture..will EVERYone go to the rapture..who knows)

Hello Beavis + Butthead :P

And Mickey Mouse. Hello Mickey Mouse.

Why am I saying hello to these people? Dang good question, lol..

+ B91212- on June 11th, 2015 at 11:24 am said:

I have so much anticipation for this game, I really can’t wait until August 11th. Looks amazingly authentic even down to the British fire hydrant sign (I grew up in 1980’s semi rural England) .

Like many on here it seems I would prefer a physical copy, but I will be getting it day one either way. Best wishes for the launch.

+ Veer_PS on June 11th, 2015 at 11:39 am said:

Hello Colin.
Hello Greg.

+ SilentStorm2020 on June 11th, 2015 at 11:59 am said:

How much is the game goig to be?

+ lisatsunami on June 11th, 2015 at 12:03 pm said:

I don’t need any more news or trailers or info or any other extraneous item. I’m just waiting to play. Thanks for telling me when. I will buy day 1.

+ AizawaYuuichi on June 11th, 2015 at 12:49 pm said:

Kinda disappointed in that release date. Doesn’t give me much time to experience this before Until Dawn comes out. Ah well, I’ll find time for all this goodness at some point.
Congrats on the on the confirmation! Really looking forward to playing this.

+ POEman553 on June 11th, 2015 at 12:51 pm said:

Can’t wait to play Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture!

Also, please port Dear Esther to PS4 — I cried at the end of Dear Esther (like full-on bawling).

+ paulogy on June 11th, 2015 at 1:38 pm said:

I think if this does really well they might consider doing just that :-)

+ BlueBl1zzard on June 11th, 2015 at 4:06 pm said:

I really enjoyed the Playstation Underground sit-down. Now that I’ve seen the game in action, it’s a definite buy from me!

+ Seluhir on June 12th, 2015 at 4:43 am said:

Such an interesting premise… but it sounds like it’s first person, which is a dealbreaker.