PlayStation Vue

Jun 11

wattam

Wattam: A Peek Inside the Game World

Robin Hunicke's Avatar Posted by on Jun 11, 2015 // Co-founder Funomena

Hey everyone! This is Robin & Keita — back to chat with you about our new title, Wattam, coming to PS4 next year.

Last time we posted, you got a brief glimpse into the life of the Mayor of Wattam — a happy-go-lucky green cube with a spectacular bomb under its hat. Since then we have been working very hard on the game, anticipating the moment when we would share more with you. And a couple of weeks ago, we had our first hands-on demonstration of Wattam at a small event in Los Angeles.

We were so nervous.

But the response has been lovely! People immediately took to Wattam’s joyful, silly, and exploratory nature. And since then, fans have been peppering us with questions about the game, what it’s about, and how it works. So without giving too much away… here is a little Q&A about the strange and wonderful game we are making for you:

Wattam

What in the heck is going on?

It’s an epic story which we won’t spoil here, but after a series of unfortunate events, there was a gigantic explosion which spread the people of Wattam all across the galaxy. As a result of this crazy BOOM, only a few people, a few pieces of world, and the Mayor are left when you begin the game.

What is the point of this crazy game?

Your task is to help the Mayor and Deputies bring all the people and places of Wattam back together again.

How on earth do you bring Wattam back together again?

By climbing, stacking, and chaining groups of people! Once you have a big collection, you can detonate it using the Mayor and Deputies. This will attract people who are hanging out in space, searching for their long lost home. There will be several worlds to unlock, starting with the 4 Seasons. The world you are seeing in these screenshots is Spring.

HangingOut

Explode to attract people and grow the world? That’s insane!

It is a bit strange — this idea of making a big BOOM in order to bring people closer together… but these explosions will be so stunning that *anyone* would want to get a closer look. By building crazy chains and stacks, and then blowing them up, you will fill the sky with joy. This is what unlocks new people, new levels and eventually new worlds to play in.

Is connecting people… fun?

But of course! First of all, connecting people lets you experiment with the physics of the world in interesting and silly ways. Second — you can see how their special actions (moves like “Grow” or “Bounce” or “Party”) interact. Last but not least, each character has a unique riff that they contribute to a larger melody mashup when they connect. So you actually create the musical landscape of the Wattam as you play. F-f-fresh!

So… what makes Wattam challenging?

Each world has a series of characters that are hidden or asleep. To discover them and wake them up, you will need to experiment with combinations of people. A good example is the Flower people — who start off as sleeping sprouts until you rain on them with the Cloud. A lot of the game will progress in this fashion. There are also special “boss” characters, who are hard to connect with. But we will talk more about that next time…

Wattam

Anything else?

Yes! You will be able to play the game all the way through on your own – but you can also play with friends and family, while sitting on the couch together. This means you can work collectively to achieve Wattam’s goals and unlock the story — or just spend time running around, building crazy shapes and exploding to your heart’s content.

Wow – that’s a lot to take in, huh? Well don’t just take our word for it — check out the second part of the Mayor’s strange and wonderful story, which includes actual game footage! Or better yet, come see us at the IndieCade booth (South Hall # 601) next week at E3! We will have some fun surprises for those of you who make the trip. See you… BOOM!

17 Comments

+ paulogy on June 11th, 2015 at 9:04 am said:

This game looks so charmingly bonkers! It brings a smile to my face every time I see new footage of it :-). I think I kinda just love that it exists and we’ll be able to play it someday.

+ FifthDream on June 11th, 2015 at 9:06 am said:

This game looks delightful (and i don’t use that word often). It looks like it could become one of my very favorite games, I’m excited for it. Can’t wait to try it out.

+ ducz03 on June 11th, 2015 at 9:18 am said:

I saw one screenshot and said to myself “I bet the people behind Katamari had something to do with this”

+ Zezzler on June 11th, 2015 at 9:41 am said:

Katamari Damacy is one of my favorite games of all time, and I’d probably be ashamed to tell you how many hours I’ve dumped into Noby Noby Boy, so I am without a doubt excited to get my hands on this creative gem!

In a word, I have to say it looks absolutely Charming!

+ Lacerz on June 11th, 2015 at 10:06 am said:

Poop? Walking poop?

+ yowzagabowza on June 11th, 2015 at 10:25 am said:

Not my kind of “game” at all. It all just looks so dumb. If the trophies are like NobyNoby boy, ill take this for a dollar or something.

+ Bellalara on June 11th, 2015 at 11:01 am said:

Looks so adorable!

+ Neil on June 11th, 2015 at 11:56 am said:

Best part

+ snaggdadon on June 11th, 2015 at 12:43 pm said:

no thanks ill pass on this !!!(flush of the toilet)

+ FifthDream on June 11th, 2015 at 2:41 pm said:

Boy, that was so important to say, that you just couldn’t stop yourself, could you? You’re such a great big grownup tough little boy, that your day just couldn’t go on without letting this opportunity to say nothing of importance slip through your grubby little fingers. Good boy! Good, good boy. Yes you are! You should be so proud of yourself! You can type! Who’s a good boy? You are! You’re so big and strong! Soon you’ll be able to use the big boy potty, big man. Thanks for the pointless comment, Now we all know how much you don’t care. We’re very enlightened now, and feel you are very special and important. Do you feel acknowledged enough now?

I’m so glad we can make direct replies. :D

+ Fuhr31 on June 12th, 2015 at 8:49 pm said:

And you use that new ability to attack another user?

+ DoomsdayTARDIS on June 11th, 2015 at 6:31 pm said:

Every time I get e-mail alerts about this game, it makes me want a new Katamari game more than anything. Hopefully by the time this comes out, I’ll have a PS4 and I’ll be able to play it.

+ LeahGriffiths on June 11th, 2015 at 7:08 pm said:

My best friend’s ex-wife makes $75/hr on the laptop. She has been unemployed for eight months but last month her income with big fat bonus was over $15000 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Read more on this site…. WWW.­E­A­R­N­M­O­R­E­9­.­­C­O­M

+ PanTheMan16 on June 11th, 2015 at 9:33 pm said:

I tried a Katamari game once and didn’t like it, but I am interested in Wattam. Your comment about multiplayer, however, was a huge turn-off. “We have multiplayer, but only in a way that benefits 1% of gamers, some of the time”. I’m not against games having local multiplayer, but online multiplayer needs to be the first priority, 100% of the time. By making it local-only, you are severely alienating the vast majority of your potential customers/fans.

And before someone replies to say that they love playing local co-op with their spouse or sibling: That’s great, but not my point. I’m not saying that you shouldn’t be able to do that, or that no one does that.

+ AlyssaMiller8 on June 12th, 2015 at 11:36 pm said:

My last pay check was $9500 working 12 hours a week online. My sisters friend has been averaging 15k for months now and she works about 20 hours a week. I can’t believe how easy it was once I tried it out. This is what I do…
►►►►►►►► WWW.­E­A­R­N­M­O­R­E­9­.­­C­O­M

+ rextoknight on June 13th, 2015 at 4:56 pm said:

Yes, this looks weird and fun. Hopefully a day one purchase.

+ AliceBowen on June 14th, 2015 at 2:02 am said:

Follow guide we have for you and you can make 90 dollars every hour… Our agents earn around $12k a month… Join them… and start working from comfort of your home! All you need is a computer and a internet connection and you are ready to start. Learn how to make a steady income for yourself on following web adress….
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> WWW.­E­A­R­N­M­O­R­E­9­.­­C­O­M