Uncharted 4

Jun 16

transformers

Transformers: Devastation Details Revealed

Kenji Saito's Avatar Posted by on Jun 16, 2015 // PlatinumGames

Hi everyone! This is Kenji Saito from PlatinumGames.

I’ve loved Transformers since I was a kid, so I’m honored to be a part of the team making Transformers: Devastation, a new kind of Transformers game coming later this year. Within the world of this long-running series with countless fans, we wanted to make an exhilarating action experience that focused uniquely on what draws so many people to Transformers: robots and vehicles.

In Transformers: Devastation, the key is action that combines these two concepts, allowing players to freely switch modes whenever needed, racing around the city in vehicle mode and pounding on the enemy in robot mode. Send an enemy flying with a punch in robot mode, switch to vehicle mode and slam into it, then finish by unleashing a huge attack. Accelerate to top speed in vehicle mode and switch back to dropkick the enemy. Switch modes again to evade the enemy’s attack, counter, and follow up with a relentless combo.

How the player utilizes both modes within the combat system opens up an infinite number of possibilities. You can choose from Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Sideswipe, Wheeljack, and of course, Grimlock. Pick the Autobot you like best and roll out.

One of our other big focuses for Transformers: Devastation is to deliver the kind of big-name face-offs between the leaders of the Autobots and Decepticons that make the series so gripping.

The game features an electrifying comic book-inspired story which races back and forth across the cosmos between Earth and Cybertron, drawing in a huge cast of fan-favorite characters for a battle to decide the fate of both worlds. And to top it all off, we’re working with legendary series voice actors like Frank Welker, Dan Gilvezan, and Peter Cullen to make sure this showdown between good and evil is truly personal.

Transformers: DevastationTransformers: Devastation

There have been a lot of great designs for the Transformers over the more than thirty years they’ve been around. But for our take on the iconic robots in disguise, we wanted to combine original Transformers characters and 80s inspired Japanese anime with a more modern, cel-shaded flair. Applying current animation technology and post effects, we feel we’ve accomplished a look that pays tribute to the characters we first came to love with a bold, contemporary style.

Transformers: Devastation will hit the PS4 and PS3 this fall. There’s definitely more to this game than meets the eye, so keep on the lookout here for more updates.

38 Comments

+ gerneric123 on June 16th, 2015 at 6:03 am said:

Activision please.

If you can release Sponge Bob on Vita in 2015, you can release this on Vita.

+ cognac-vsop on June 16th, 2015 at 6:06 am said:

once again Decepticon fans get no love.. why Autobot playable characters only? I want to play as Starscream, Soundwave, Megatron, Devastator etc.. come on man! could have made a non story related fight mode.. anyways.. game does look cool & I will be picking it up for sure.

+ Solh0und on June 16th, 2015 at 6:07 am said:

Any word on price?

+ Beedog1221 on June 16th, 2015 at 6:27 am said:

I’d guess between $40-60 since korra was a $40 game. So yea

+ gerneric123 on June 16th, 2015 at 6:29 am said:

It appears to be a fully priced retail release.

+ enricofg_ on June 18th, 2015 at 10:43 am said:

The Legend of Korra was $14.99 on release. This game’s probably full retail priced, though.

+ PUT_DOWN_NAME on June 16th, 2015 at 6:25 am said:

Can this be on PSVita because it’ll be the first transformers game on the vita. Also I’m a really big fan of transformers and I have a vita. Is this only on Playstation because I’d be happy, I don’t like xbox. Please put this on the vita, I feel like many game companies forget about it. Plus I’m using my Playstation Vita to write this.

+ gerneric123 on June 16th, 2015 at 6:27 am said:

Transformers Devastation is for PS3/PS4/360/XB1 and PC.

I do agree that having it on Vita would be cool. Platinum has never made a game on a Sony handheld before and the visual direction of this title would look great on a Vita screen.

+ StormRacer872 on June 16th, 2015 at 8:36 am said:

I very highly doubt this will come to Vita. Platinum is likely inexperienced in developing for the platform, and while they could get a different studio to port it, it probably isn’t worth it. While you like Vita, and while I like Vita, we’re in a minority, and game developers recognize that. Hell, even Sony recognizes that. It is coming to both PS3 and PS4 though, so as long as you have one or the other (assuming you want to play on a Playstation system), you’re safe. And no, it isn’t a Playstation exclusive, and I’m glad. I don’t even own an Xbox, and have no intention on playing this game on my PC; however, exclusives suck for people who want the game and don’t have the right platform. And I don’t think game companies forget about the Vita, they simply don’t see value in making games for it. Don’t get me wrong, I love Vita, but it’s by no means a popular platform.

+ Beedog1221 on June 16th, 2015 at 6:26 am said:

Please please please don’t let me down. I’ve been waiting for a fun transformers game for a long time. These clips really give me hope and I love that we are using the originals. Hope the dinobots are included.

+ AgentX on June 16th, 2015 at 6:35 am said:

The game looks fantastic! The game’s cel-shaded models do a remarkable job of capturing the look of the characters from the 1980s cartoon series. The inclusion of several of the original voice actors help to put this package over the top. I’m looking forward to playing this game!

+ SavoyPrime on June 16th, 2015 at 6:35 am said:

Nope. Game reminds me too much of The Legend of Korra…which is not good. That was a horrible game.

+ StormRacer872 on June 16th, 2015 at 8:39 am said:

I personally really enjoyed Korra (though that’s because I’m a huge fan of the show, and I absolutely recognize that the game wasn’t without its flaws), but this does look VERY similar. Granted, a much larger title, as this appears to be a full $60 game, with physical release and all, whereas Korra was a digital only $15 game. Hopefully this means they’ll be putting much more focus, time, and effort into this project, and as such, will be a better game than Korra was.

+ Butters360 on June 16th, 2015 at 6:49 am said:

“Such heroic nonsense.”

“Why throw away your life so recklessly Prime?”

“I’ll rip out your optics!”

Yeah, I’m stoked!

+ NaAsAr on June 16th, 2015 at 7:47 am said:

It’s actually :
    “Prime!!”
    “One shall stand, one shall fall.”
    “Why throw away your life so recklessly?”
    “That’s a question you should ask yourself sometime Megatron”
    “No!! I’ll crush you with me bare hands!”

Yeah, I too am excited about this

+ Sindred on June 16th, 2015 at 10:41 am said:

“You, who are without mercy, now plead for it?”

+ soundandvision77 on June 16th, 2015 at 6:51 am said:

This looks awesome. Finally a Transformers game that looks like the original cartoon. No Michael Bay crap for me.

It would be cool to play as Decepticons too, but please tell us – is Soundwave in this game??? That’s all I care about.

+ korny1980 on June 16th, 2015 at 6:53 am said:

wow, you’ve made an 80’s child very happy! i really hope this plays as well as it looks.

+ Sindred on June 16th, 2015 at 7:05 am said:

Please consider DLC for more characters. Not that I’m complaining. This is the best news for a long-time Transformers fan. But with the style and look of the game, I’d love to see Hotrod, Arcee, Springer, and some of the other G1 – Season 3 cast. Maybe DLC based on certain episodes. I’d gladly pay extra for that.

+ Darth-Krayt on June 16th, 2015 at 7:59 am said:

I find it funny that of ALL the incredible E3 stuff to go down this year, THIS is the first thing I log on to comment about. That’s how cool this game is to me. You could have a winner here. I honestly believe if you invest a little more into this game it will pay back dividends because you’re tapping into the older gamers’ wallets.

As someone who grew up with G1 I have to say I only ever liked G1 and what directly followed with Galvatron and Rodimus. Everything after that I’ve always thought was lame, and I hated the movie designs. As far as I know there’s NEVER been a decent G1 game. Maybe 1 Famicom game I saw on AVGN. You could sell millions based on just that, so why not make it great instead of just good? It’s got the market potential, just needs tuning.

People are right on a Vita version if you can port the PS3 version cheaply. I HIGHLY suggest toning down that Cellshading. It’s the only thing making it look weird. Maybe borrow from Street Fighter and use cross-hatching for depth instead. And I agree Playable Decepticons. Make it like Lego games where all models can be playable. Or Decepticon campaign DLC. Online co-op/vs. That’s my feedback.

Seriously. Good luck with this game. I’ll be buying

+ pnut027 on June 16th, 2015 at 8:00 am said:

I would love this on the Vita!

+ Seluhir on June 16th, 2015 at 8:12 am said:

So glad to see Platinum back to making games for everyone, not just for Nintendo’s ever shrinking console fanbase.

You guys do good work.

+ Darth-Krayt on June 16th, 2015 at 8:22 am said:

Ok……this is crazy. I’ve been staring at images of this game for like 20 minutes and my mind is just RACING with the potential for this game. It’s just rediculous!!! Between these visuals, the iconic G1 designs, the endless (not really but at least 40-60 characters deep) playable roster potential between regular Trasnformers and the giant connectorbots, and all the possible online modes in 1st and 3rd person shooter/brawler games we’ve seen that have come out over the last 10 years you could throw in this game/franchise…………….it could just be absolutely fantastic. Everyone would want to be playing if done right. I’m picturing like a slightly slower paced Unreal Tournament style gameplay…….or Destiny I suppose, just with set playable characters al la League of Legends instead of loadouts or weapon pick-ups, unique skills based on cannon. OK, I gotta go……I can’t think about this any more, because I’m just pipe-dreaming at this point, and I’ll end up wasting my whole day obsessing over what could be.

I just hope you guys see the same potential in your game as developers that I do as a fan.

+ LoneRanger1975 on June 16th, 2015 at 8:25 am said:

Bring it onto the Vita too! Hell I’d buy for the PS4 and Vita separately but I want my Vita TF game like all hell! Seriously where’s the love for Vita? I have been reduced to buying Lego games to get my superhero fix on. I’m waiting impatiently for Resident Evil Revelations 2 for the Vita. Last Vita game I bought was MLB ’15. If Spongebob can be on the Vita then I want, no I NEED my Transformers!

+ StormRacer872 on June 16th, 2015 at 8:48 am said:

The love for Vita doesn’t exist. Sony hardly even supports it anymore, let alone other developers. I mean, really, how can third parties be expected to support a console that’s hardly even supported by the company that created it? Listen, I want Vita to get more awesome games, just as much as you do, but it won’t happen. Vita isn’t very popular, and so it just doesn’t make sense to develop for it. I mean, what would you choose to make a game for, the Vita or PS4? The Vita is losing the handheld war, and the PS4 is dominating the console war; obviously, you’re likely to generate more revenue on the system that has sold millions more units, and so developers gravitate towards that.

+ FifthDream on June 16th, 2015 at 8:39 am said:

Finally, a game with the REAL Transformers. None of this Prime is a monkey firetruck space shuttle stuff. None of this 10th gen cg stuff. None of this magnet-in-a-knife-factory Bayformers stuff. The real thing. Thank you so much. Even without seeing the final game, i just want to say i appreciate the effort of creating a game with the originals. My 12 year old self is jumping up and down on the living room carpet, spilling his bowl of cereal. .

+ HypnoDarkrai on June 16th, 2015 at 8:49 am said:

Would love to see this on PS Vita. (Not through remote play)
Activision/PlatinumGames please!

+ Nerroth on June 16th, 2015 at 9:19 am said:

It looks like the story will be set before the animated movie (if one goes by the cartoon timeline/s rather than any of those in the various comic series), so I probably shouldn’t hold out much hope on seeing any of the post-’86 characters show up here.

Although, it would be interesting to see a side quest make use of the “Shattered Glass” concept shown in some off the TF Collector’s Club comics – which would show a “mirror” reality in which the heroic Decepticons wage their battle to destroy the evil Autobots…

But in the long run, there’s only so many times one can go back to the same well and expect to avoid the law of diminishing returns. At some point, it would be nice to see a story with the ’86 cast (or later – to perhaps include the various Japanese G1 characters).

Or better yet, to take a trip further down the evolutionary chain, and show more of the Maximals and Predacons. (Which need not mean that all Beast Era characters would have to have organic alt modes – there are various comics which show certain characters on Cybertron with bio-mechanical forms.)

+ Hakumen__ on June 16th, 2015 at 11:14 am said:

Please bring this game to PS Vita!

+ djsaiyan on June 16th, 2015 at 11:48 am said:

Last time Activision put out a Transformers game, it was bad.

Last time Platinum did a licensed game for Activision, it was bad.

I’m going to need to see reviews before any of my money goes anywhere near this game.

+ prince48206 on June 16th, 2015 at 1:21 pm said:

Big Transformers fan I’m getting ps3 and ps4 versions! The original Transformers with a lot of original voices and cartoon style look…. Yes sir!

+ Thunderboy86 on June 16th, 2015 at 4:37 pm said:

Yet another day one purchase. I hope my wallet forgives me.

+ Orpheus_Aeons on June 17th, 2015 at 4:21 am said:

Awesome! Although…too much cel-shading IMHO. It looks…I don’t know…kinda weird. =\

And 1 more vote for all of those asking for MORE CHARACTERS!! Please! A Transformers game…with only 5 PCs!? That’s like making a Shooter with only 4 weapons. Please! More characters! Autobots AND Decepticons! At least for the MP.

If it’s a fully-functional game, with zero bugs at launch…a Day 2-Buy for me (I don’t buy ANYTHING on Day 1…so this is as close as you can be =P ).

Great job, Platinum! ^_^
(I still hate Activision though -_-)

+ VinsanityV21 on June 17th, 2015 at 5:25 am said:

I am SO looking forward to this! I loved Korra; your arcadey games are just as fun as your longer, more expensive titles and I’m thrilled to see you continue your work with Activision! (I hope it continues next year and you get a shot at making Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in 2016). This is a must buy for me – it looks so cool! I just hope you can get Charlie Adler or Chris Latta onboard the voice cast too! So many classic Voice Actors – you HAVE to get StarScream (and Cobra Commander!)

And may I say, props to you for a killer E3! Platinum Games WRECKED IT. You’re an independent studio who’s always gotta fight for contracts, yet here you are working on THREE new massive games, with three HUGE publishers, in addition to Scalebound for Microsoft! Transformers is a must-buy for me, Star Fox is a must buy for me, and a new NIER!?! HOLY SH– you don’t know how much it means to me that that’s getting a sequel and you’re developing it. That is a huge surprise in an E3 that was filled with them (Shenmue III!?! Last Guardian!?! FF7 HD!?!). CONGRATS, PLATINUM! DEV OF THE SHOW!

+ cano74 on June 17th, 2015 at 2:39 pm said:

I’ve always been more of a Decepticon fan, so I hope you include a way to play as Megatron, Starscreem, Soundwave and Shockwave. I LOVE you guys and will definitely be getting this game!

+ Ry-Dog on June 18th, 2015 at 2:18 am said:

First you guys made a Legend of Korra game, and now you’re making a Transformers game. What’s next, SpongeBob SquarePants.

Platinum Games, please don’t develop anymore licensed games, that’s hurting your reputation a little bit. I mean, you guys make awesome games like Bayonetta and Madworld.

If you’re gonna make licensed games, please let it be based on the 2012 TMNT cartoon, as the hack and slash combat from Bayonetta and the weapons the turtles use will make it a good licensed game.

+ tornadosmith on June 18th, 2015 at 5:22 am said:

Thanks for putting out a G1 game! This is what many of us have been waiting years for, and our favorite iteration of the franchise. Super extra thanks for getting the voice cast, as Cullen, Welker, Gilvezan, Berger, Bell, etc., really make the characters come alive.

Two questions:

1. Will there be pre-order bonuses? Would be cool to have either digital or physical perks (or both) for supporting you with a pre-order.

2. Will this be a cross-buy purchase for PS3/PS4? I would consider the digital version if I knew I’d be able to play it on a PS4 later (currently planning to get it for PS3). We’re so close to the edge on the last/current-gen consoles that it would be helpful for a lot of folks to have this option to play it on either system without having to repurchase after an upgrade.

+ advocacy on June 19th, 2015 at 1:52 am said:

This has the potential to be the most authentic Transformers experience since the Generation 1 cartoons. Really looking forward to this one!