God of War

Jul 07

journey

Journey Arrives on PS4 July 21st

journey

Aaron Kaufman's Avatar Posted by on Jul 07, 2015 // Community Strategist, Santa Monica Studio

In 2012, our dear friends and partners at thatgamecompany brought a transcendent, award-winning game to the PlayStation universe that has connected gamers worldwide. Journey is a game that truly encapsulates our imagination and emotion into an experience like no other. If you’ve ascended the mountain, you know exactly what I mean.

On July 21st, Journey will descend onto PS4 more stunningly beautiful than ever. If you have yet to discover its wonders, or desire to soar above the ruins and glide across the sands once again, this is the perfect time. Additionally, Journey will support cross buy. If you have digitally purchased it already for PS3, you can download it free for PS4.

#OurJourney — What Did Your Journey Experience Mean To You?

I could pen 5 pages of poetry to describe Journey, but this is a game that has meant something different to everyone. We’d like to call upon PlayStation fans worldwide to share “What Your Journey Experience Meant To You”, and watch it come together at journey.playstation.com.

• Grab your phone, turn it toward you, record, and share your video testimonial on YouTube, Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook.
  • Tag it with the hashtag #OurJourney

Journey

JourneyJourney

Visit journey.playstation.com where we’ll feature many of the memories and emotions that have impacted us all during our journey.

You can follow the lead of Jenova Chen, Creative Director of Journey, who starts #OurJourney:

So, what did your Journey experience mean to you? If you can’t answer that question yet, then you certainly can on July 21st.

Finally, if you happened to miss it, you can still pre-order the Journey vinyl featuring the Grammy-nominated score from composer Austin Wintory, in a stunning 2-disc LP set from our friends at iam8bit.

Journey Soundtrack

Thank you to developer Tricky Pixels and creators thatgamecompany for bringing the experience of Journey to PlayStation 4.

65 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ JimmyHACK on July 7th, 2015 at 6:03 am said:

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Mega-Sackman on July 7th, 2015 at 6:03 am said:

Truly a masterpiece, I’ll replay it on PS4 for sure.

+ paulogy on July 7th, 2015 at 6:04 am said:

Journey was already a beautiful game, so I can only imagine how stunning it will look on PS4. Glad that folks who never had a PS3 (or Vita) will get to experience this masterful game for themselves :-)

+ gerneric123 on July 7th, 2015 at 6:19 am said:

Journey isn’t on Vita, so owning one of those wouldn’t have helped you play the game lol.

+ paulogy on July 7th, 2015 at 6:36 am said:

Indeed! I was thinking of Flower’s port on Vita. I kinda hope Journey comes to Vita someday, though :-)

+ VigilantSteve on July 7th, 2015 at 6:44 am said:

Well, technically you should be able to play it on Vita via remote play, so there’s that option at least.

+ ResistanceGTA on July 7th, 2015 at 6:06 am said:

Finally, thank you so very much!

I went thru this game every week for over a year and beat it as a calming technique whenever life got to be too much. Look forward to jumping on in again.

+ VeritableHero on July 7th, 2015 at 6:18 am said:

“If you have digitally purchased it already for PS3, you can download it free for PS4.”

This is wonderful. Thank you for respecting those that already own the game while still giving the PS4 owners an opportunity to experience this game.

+ Korahn27 on July 7th, 2015 at 6:24 am said:

I’ve wanted to play this since it first came out but, not owning a PS3 kinda caused a problem. So glad it’s coming to PS4!

+ stoicmom on July 7th, 2015 at 6:30 am said:

If you want to know the stories of some of us who have been deeply moved by Journey almost on a daily basis, then I encourage you to join thatgamecompany forums and read the hundreds of posts placed there by those of us who continue to be touched by this special game that transcends the common definition of the word “game.” I look forward to sharing a Journey with you, Companion. See you in the sands and snow . . .

+ WadeDanger on July 7th, 2015 at 6:32 am said:

Awesome that it’s on PS4 now! When will the Vita port be available? I remember hearing before that demos of it were playable at shows.

+ kitlerc on July 7th, 2015 at 6:32 am said:

I bought the physical version on PS3, so I guess I’m outta luck. ;-;

+ Amnalehu on July 7th, 2015 at 6:41 am said:

I have never been so glad that I STOPPED playing a game! Can’t wait to experience it on the PS4!

+ AriesSiren on July 7th, 2015 at 6:52 am said:

Was a day one buy for me. Awesome to play again on ps4 for free. I really believe cross buy should be the norm. I don’t even mind paying like $2.00 for an upgrade like nintendo does on wii u. Companies that don’t offer cross buy or a discount are just ridiculous.

+ Throwsfeces on July 7th, 2015 at 6:59 am said:

Sweet! I can’t wait to play this game!

+ BriarPatch512 on July 7th, 2015 at 7:16 am said:

I love this game! I play it at least once a year. Glad to have it on PS4!

Do I get to keep my white robe and rows of embroidered symbols?

+ Tiael on July 7th, 2015 at 7:17 am said:

What about the PS4 physical edition with flOw and Flower?

+ CrusaderForever on July 7th, 2015 at 7:22 am said:

Yes! What a great game and concept! Can’t wait to show my son this game. Cross-Buy, my god is that generous. Can’t wait to download. Thank you!

+ Orionsangel on July 7th, 2015 at 7:25 am said:

I can’t complain because I already own the game on PS3 and it’s going to be free for me. I honestly don’t think it will be that much better other than a higher sharper resolution, but still it’ll be cool to own a slightly pretty version on PS4.

+ drdre74 on July 7th, 2015 at 7:32 am said:

Cool I’d forgotten that it was coming out. I loved it on my ps3. Guess I’ll have to start all over again and play it. If i bought it already its free on ps4 like Flower was right?

+ Seluhir on July 7th, 2015 at 7:36 am said:

Journey is one of the most unique and amazing experiences I’ve ever had in my gaming life. It is a game I stream on a regular basis, it is the game I go back to time and time again when I need to let my emotions out.

What makes Journey so special is that it doesn’t tell you what to feel, the ambiguity allows your feelings to shape your experience. The music and the art intertwine in such a clever way to create an experience that can be thrilling, mournful, pensive, lonely, exciting, uplifting, calming, or whatever other emotion you happen to be most in need of.

Your mental state will shape your journey in a way unlike any other game or experience… and it’s a masterpiece because of it. I’ve written about this a few times… (I hope it’s okay to link but I’d like to share one of my previous experiences with this game)… http://www.shadowedblade.net/2012/04/revisiting-journey/

I don’t know if there’s anything that can ever duplicate what Journey has accomplished, but fortunately nothing ever has to…. because Journey never gets old. No matter how often you play it, since your emotions are so integral to the experience… no two Journeys can ever be the same.

Thank you for bringing this to a new generation.

+ TomatoDragon on July 7th, 2015 at 7:42 am said:

Can’t wait to take this Journey again. One of the most amazing games I’ve played.

+ TLSBill on July 7th, 2015 at 7:44 am said:

SWEET! This will be an excellent break from fighting back the darkness in Destiny. So glad it’s cross buy too! (I bought the digital & the disc versions already, so thank you for that..) It ‘s gonna be fun re-finding all the symbols & showing new travelers all the hidden stuff! I’ll have a white robe by the time the 22nd rolls around guaranteed…

+ TesseractE on July 7th, 2015 at 7:45 am said:

Will this version be cross-compatible for multiplayer with the PS3 version?

+ PsycProf on July 7th, 2015 at 7:57 am said:

Will it support cross-save? Scarves!

+ sealum01 on July 7th, 2015 at 7:58 am said:

I’ve been patiently waiting for this! I cannot wait!

+ chavez1138 on July 7th, 2015 at 8:08 am said:

Happy with this port coming out this 21st, will play it again one more time. I’m not really missing the Vita version this time, it’s like the opposite of Unfinished Swan for me, when didn’t really care for the PS4 version but was really glad about the Vita port.

+ Evan_Buchholz on July 7th, 2015 at 8:08 am said:

Don’t know if http://journey.playstation.com/ is supposed to be working yet, but I’m not seeing anything come up at all when I try to access it.

Also can’t wait to replay this again, this was one of my favorite games on the PS3 and I would love to see this again with some bumped up resolution.

+ Apnomis on July 7th, 2015 at 8:11 am said:

I completed Flow and Flower but never got around to finishing Journey, I’ve always regretted not having the time to play it more so I think it deserves to be played again on PS4. Am I right in assuming this is a cross-buy title so I won’t need to buy it again? That’s a big bonus if it is, I would have actually have been prepared to pay a (small) fee to get it again on PS4…

+ JSEVERITT on July 7th, 2015 at 9:18 am said:

Yes, if you bought Journey for the PS3 through the PlayStation Store, then you get the PS4 version for no additional cost. However, if you purchased Journey on disc, you’ll have to buy it again for the PS4.

+ RhonnyK on July 7th, 2015 at 8:15 am said:

I have played Journey at least 10 times on the PS3. Also, made all my friends sit on my couch and play it as well.

I’m so glad to play it again, now on PS4. This is game is my best gaming experience of all i’ve played.

Thank you thatgamecompany, i’ll buy this version on my little brother’s account, just to support this masterpiece.

+ fbutler2 on July 7th, 2015 at 8:16 am said:

Will this game require a PS Plus subscription to access online content? I’ve heard great things about this game, and especially about the social aspects of it, but I’m not sure I could justify a subscription for just this game.

+ JSEVERITT on July 7th, 2015 at 9:19 am said:

That’s a solid question. Seeing as it’s not F2P or an MMO, I would assume that yes, you do need a PS+ subscription to access the online features of Journey.

+ FeddeCampo on July 7th, 2015 at 8:56 am said:

Thank a lot Aaron!
I’m pretty sure I’ll cry again =)

+ Spectreman78 on July 7th, 2015 at 9:40 am said:

Is going to be 60fps?

+ Shinigami_Death_ on July 7th, 2015 at 10:03 am said:

Omg yassss so happy and even more so that it’s free for owners who bought it on PlayStation 3, I really do love this game so happy it’s finally coming to PlayStation 4 so many ppl will enjoy this as I have.

+ LeandroDiFini on July 7th, 2015 at 10:05 am said:

Yes! I bought it for PS3 and now I’ll get it for PS4!

+ FifthDream on July 7th, 2015 at 11:12 am said:

I’ve never had a chance to play it, but i’ve always wanted to/ This is great news.

+ plaztiksyke on July 7th, 2015 at 11:18 am said:

Nearly all of the PS2 -> PS3 “remasters” added stereo 3D support. It was fantastic to play God of War, Prince of Persia, and Shadow of the Colossus in 3D!

Flower on PS4 didn’t have 3D, and now I guess Journey doesn’t either? (Neither does Uncharted 3 on PS4!) It’s really disappointing when first-party published remasters are offering less value than third-party publishers — Zen Pinball 2, Trine 1 & 2, and other games have *amazing* looking stereo 3D on PS4 –and at 60fps.

It’s free thanks to cross-buy, and that’s cool, but this shovelware approach is what I expect for third-party publishers on Nintendo platforms — not PlayStation.

I hope, at least, the audio is 24-bit FLAC? Any improvements to textures, rendering, shaders, maps, or lighting the porting house can speak to?

+ PanTheMan16 on July 10th, 2015 at 1:15 am said:

Stop spamming and get off the blog.

+ Nobizuz on July 7th, 2015 at 11:53 am said:

dumb question but if i buy it on ps4 will i get the ps3 version too ? :) ty

+ ajwilson55 on July 7th, 2015 at 12:01 pm said:

Definitely replaying this. Extremely grateful for the crossbuy opportunity. Question (for the trophy mongers here): will there be a second set of PS4 trophies or the original PS3 trophies?

+ LoneRanger1975 on July 7th, 2015 at 1:21 pm said:

Please port this to the Vita too. I’m getting a PS4 if finances are good this holiday season but I’d love to play this on the go with my Vita. Why? Well the game plays differently and changes in tone if you play online vs. offline. Sitting on a NYC subway train without WiFi would have me explore a dead empty world. At home its the small screen but Journey with other players. Plus I can avoid tying up my main HDTV in the living room while I get my geek on.

+ GENETICIDE on July 7th, 2015 at 1:41 pm said:

Not physical? Don’t care.

+ bbswarrior_11 on July 7th, 2015 at 3:07 pm said:

I´ve been waiting for this remaster for a long time. So glad it´s coming up in a couple of weeks.

I finished it many times on ps3 and I´ll do it many more times on my ps4

+ sNsKid on July 7th, 2015 at 3:36 pm said:

I’ll finally get a chance to play this soon.

+ oo7PorscheMGS on July 7th, 2015 at 7:18 pm said:

Not sure if I’ll make a video, but I lost a close friend to cancer and Journey was the thing to help me think half positive, … While you go through tough times in the game and meet up with and then lose people in the vast world, the end reunites you with hope/revivial/rebirth…a cycle of nature / life.

A “simple” and short game but one that says more than most games do…

One of my top 3 games ever, right next to MGS and The Last of Us haha, very different but they all have HEART!

Can’t wait to see how beautiful it looks on ps4!! And the soundtrack is just as gorgeous as the visuals!!!! Amazing game, this is the kind of game I’d want to see on Morpheus by the way… It ALREADY surrounds you…just imagine!

+ R2tito11 on July 7th, 2015 at 7:45 pm said:

Journey on Ps4! and cross-buy, YES YES YES, this is great news

+ HeavyD-Love on July 7th, 2015 at 9:29 pm said:

“….Journey will support cross buy. If you have digitally purchased it already for PS3, you can download it free for PS4.”

More games really need to support this incredibly pro-customer friendly cross buy feature Sony. I bought Limbo on PS3 and was extremely disappointed you’d approve of me paying for it again to play on PS4 with no cross buy support, while other games like Journey, Flow, Flower, Unfinished Swan, Escape Plan, etc, support cross buy as they rightfully should.

What determines cross buy support, is it the developer or the publisher? Please provide consistent support, or make a public statement on the matter, you’re sending a very mixed misunderstood message with inconsistent cross support. Thank you.

+ liquidsol on July 7th, 2015 at 11:02 pm said:

I’m not a religious person, especially when it comes to an organized one. But… this game was a religious experience for me. It took a lot of my thoughts on oblivion vs. consciousness after death and made me reevaluate them. I’ve also never cried at the end of a game and I’ve been gaming since the 80s.

So yeah…I guess you could say I’m excited about this release ;)

+ Lord_Tony_Z on July 8th, 2015 at 1:33 am said:

Why not PS Vita? Come on.

+ rabber71 on July 8th, 2015 at 10:59 pm said:

God of War, The Last of Us, Journey, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, GTAV, Tomb Raider, Saints Row, Metro Redux, Dark Souls, Devil May Cry……there are hopes to see new games?

+ PanTheMan16 on July 10th, 2015 at 1:13 am said:

Most over-hyped game ever released, with Destiny coming in at a distant second.

+ MysticMur on July 12th, 2015 at 2:12 am said:

You either “get” Journey or you do not. It is unique as it provides an almost spiritual experience and a deep connection with your fellow traveler who is a virtual stranger. The music is ethereal almost soothing yet invigorating at the same time. I played Journey while waiting for brain surgery and it provided me with an escape during a rough period in my life. Looking forward to playing it on my PS4. No hype, but try it if you seek a truly unique gaming experience.

+ Razar2000 on July 14th, 2015 at 1:06 am said:

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!!!!!! I have been waiting a whole year for this XD!

+ M4artin1987 on July 20th, 2015 at 3:37 pm said:

Hello, do I have to buy the game for ps4 again? Because I bought the collectors edition of Journey for PS3, but I have the disc version.

PAGE 1 2