Horizon Zero Dawn

Jul 07

RL

Rocket League Out Today, Free for PS Plus Members

RL

Jeremy Dunham's Avatar Posted by on Jul 07, 2015 // Vice President of Marketing, Psyonix

It’s happening!

As you read this post, players all over the world are starting to play our sequel to Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars, and our labor of love, Rocket League; with even more players joining in as they take advantage of our free status if they’re members of PlayStation Plus.

We’ve poured our heart and soul into Rocket League, and we’ve done everything we can to make it the best game possible — whether it’s dedicated servers, crossplay with PC users, 10 billion-plus customization combinations, an all-new Season Mode, four-player splitscreen, eight-player online, a “cameras anywhere” replay viewer, Garage items from other PS4 and PC games, secrets, and of course, the PS4-exclusive vehicle, Sweet Tooth from Twisted Metal. It’s all in there and ready to be played!

As a special surprise for today’s launch, we’re also pleased to announce that Ranked matches will join our previously-announced Unranked and Private matches starting immediately!

Competitive players have been begging us for this feature since our beta, and now, we’re happy to give it to you! Speaking of which, the first several weeks of Ranked play is officially known as “Pre-Season,” which will allow players to test themselves while learning how our system works. “Season 1” will formally kick off sometime in August.

Rocket LeagueRocket League

But that’s not all. We have BIG plans for Rocket League and our players, which is why you can expect to see plenty more from us over the next several weeks, months, and hopefully, even years. We are already putting the finishing touches on our first paid add-on pack, “Supersonic Fury,” which will add two new cars and several more surprises later this month. Even better: our first DLC map, inspired by the classic Battle-Cars arena, “Utopia,” is almost done as well and will be available in July. And, like all of our future maps, it will be 100% free. But we’ll have more on that soon.

Finally, on behalf of everyone here at Psyonix, thank you. Thank you very much to our new and existing fans that have shown us why we love our jobs. Thank you for supporting our game and keeping us going. And thank you for making it all worthwhile. We couldn’t have done it without you.

Now, go have fun!

PAGE 1 2

+ paulogy on July 7th, 2015 at 10:03 am said:

Hi Jeremy! Congrats! BEYOND! Hope Rocket League becomes a huge success for you guys!

Oh and kinda smart move having it on PS+ for July to get a good install base :-)

Jeremy Dunham's Avatar

+ Jeremy Dunham on July 7th, 2015 at 2:06 pm said:

Beyond!

And we appreciate the compliment. Our big hope for PS Plus is that it gives players who might not know about our game a direct shot at trying it out.

+ FrankDaPronStar on July 7th, 2015 at 10:06 am said:

Oh hot damn! My console is ready ;D I am hoping for some funny content with your car customization. I can’t wait to play in the league with my Best Friends!

+ Grexotic on July 7th, 2015 at 10:06 am said:

Thank you so much!

+ SVKpicki on July 10th, 2015 at 8:59 am said:

Not logged what can I do???

+ FeddeCampo on July 7th, 2015 at 10:07 am said:

My addiction for July and probably much more time after
It’s looking sick Jeremy!
Can’t wait for the Store to update :)

+ SirDerpity on July 7th, 2015 at 10:08 am said:

Cant have fun when the servers are down…

+ GreyVariant on July 7th, 2015 at 10:09 am said:

I’ve been watching streams of this game for the past 72 hours. I’m beyond excited!

+ Zezzler on July 7th, 2015 at 10:09 am said:

Super Acrobatic Rocket Powered Cars was a blast to play with my friends in local multiplayer, and this game looks to evoke the exact same feeling — but tenfold! I cannot wait to get my grubby hands on this title later today!

Thanks Jeremy for the update on the game! Hopefully this game has long legs for years to come!

+ drewtass on July 7th, 2015 at 10:11 am said:

Why isn’t it out in Canada PS store? When will it be?

+ KazeEternal on July 7th, 2015 at 10:11 am said:

“Sr. Community Manager, Zipper Interactive”

umm what?

Wikipedia
“The closure of Zipper Interactive was confirmed by Sony Computer Entertainment on March 30, 2012”

Is Zipper Back?!

Also can’t wait to play this.

Jeremy Dunham's Avatar

+ Jeremy Dunham on July 7th, 2015 at 2:10 pm said:

It’s happened before. It’s just a legacy title from my old job back in the day. (the title is fixed now)

Cheers.

+ MaDogNik96 on July 7th, 2015 at 10:14 am said:

I was just going to say that!

Can’t wait to play this today. GO TEAM FAT!

+ falconbox on July 7th, 2015 at 10:14 am said:

Thanks Jeremy, can’t wait to play Rocket League!

Also, you might need to update your profile. It still says at the top that you’re the Sr. Community Manager with Zipper, lol.

Don’t worry, we know you’re with Psyonix now!

+ Cronus3166 on July 7th, 2015 at 10:15 am said:

I just wish I could download this game. Like now :( I don’t want to wait any longer :(

+ RSQViper on July 7th, 2015 at 10:17 am said:

Just wish that Sony didn’t depend so heavily on LATE store updates to release this stuff in N.A. Also apparently Rocket League is having online issues so that is worrisome. Hope that clears up by tonight.

+ KidCommando on July 7th, 2015 at 10:24 am said:

Waiting to download and play. I will definitely be buying all future DLC. With the game “free” on Plus and free maps, Psyonix deserves some of my money for making a great game that I know I will enjoy.

Jeremy Dunham's Avatar

+ Jeremy Dunham on July 7th, 2015 at 2:10 pm said:

Thank you, we’re really looking forward to bringing it to you!

+ auron2 on July 7th, 2015 at 10:30 am said:

I can’t wait to download and play it!
I’m frigging hyped.

+ SwoopDatNasty on July 7th, 2015 at 10:36 am said:

I cant wait to play this hope i can on my lunch break. Get Playstation to release it so I can download it!!!

+ PatricioUSA on July 7th, 2015 at 10:56 am said:

I’m refreshing the PS Store since 9AM

+ razor031 on July 7th, 2015 at 11:07 am said:

I know im so hyped please fix this i been look and waiting for this game since 2008 thank for all your work for make this cool game but what im asking is can you fix and update the psn store AND WHOS ON THE HYPE TRAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ zDaZe_E4gL3sFaN on July 7th, 2015 at 10:58 am said:

This game is gonna be awesome. For future DLC, can we get the Team Van from Sly Cooper? That would be AMAZING!!!

Jeremy Dunham's Avatar

+ Jeremy Dunham on July 7th, 2015 at 2:12 pm said:

We’re open to any crossover items in the game (we love to play other titles ourselves). Our best advice is that if you really want to see something Sony-owned in Rocket League, let them know via these comments, social media, etc. and we can take it from there!

+ Sangetsu-II on July 7th, 2015 at 5:19 pm said:

The Sly Cooper Van would be amazing PS4 DLC. I would buy that.

+ Staufway on July 7th, 2015 at 11:41 am said:

I am content with July-2015 lineup and yet slightly disappointed. It is high time that PS4 had another HQ TRIPLE AAA (subjective terms I know) retail game out for free as part of the lineup. PS4 been out over 1.5 years and we only had one free retail game – INJUSTICE GODS AMONG US. Well there is MGSV but that is more of a glorified demo then a full-fledged game. How about KNACK, WD, AC, KZ, FC4, INFAMOUS SECOND SON, SOUL SUSPECT, THIEF or TOMB RAIDER etc. and so on…??

OT – oddly despite the numerous iterations – I don’t think PS+ ever had an ASSASSIN CREED game for free – not even for PS3/VITA

+ jwunorton09 on July 7th, 2015 at 1:27 pm said:

AssCreed is for noobs, noob.

+ ClutchyPlayz on July 7th, 2015 at 11:46 am said:

I have played it and it’s a lot of fun. But can you play a season online with a friend? That would be really cool!

Jeremy Dunham's Avatar

+ Jeremy Dunham on July 7th, 2015 at 2:12 pm said:

Season mode is an offline mode at the moment, but you can splitscreen it!

+ jab__661 on July 7th, 2015 at 12:24 pm said:

I can’t even get into the store. :(

+ kandykidzero on July 7th, 2015 at 1:02 pm said:

Samesies, at least when trying to log in from PC. Haven’t tried from console yet as I still have two hours of work left.

+ TheOathsworn on July 7th, 2015 at 12:36 pm said:

The game looks like to be a lot of fun from what I saw in gameplay videos. I’ve also only heard lots of good things about it.
Definitely going to be downloading this tonight and try to play a of couple games.

+ DarkBlueNinja13 on July 7th, 2015 at 12:56 pm said:

Can’t wait to log on and play later.

+ cherith on July 7th, 2015 at 1:18 pm said:

Hey, any word on when the store will work? I’m dying to play rocket league.

+ PsychoCircus69 on July 7th, 2015 at 1:26 pm said:

4:25 east coast time. No luck logging in :<

+ jwunorton09 on July 7th, 2015 at 1:25 pm said:

best igc game since velocity 2x. can’t wait to play tonight.

+ stevenomes on July 7th, 2015 at 1:53 pm said:

ps plus games drop and then servers are down. i cant imagine it is maintenance because as soon as they posted this at noon, servers went down. im finally off work for a day and was looking forward to playing some games. it seems like every time i finally have some free time psn is down at that moment. i cant believe the timing of it!

+ Quokimbo on July 7th, 2015 at 2:08 pm said:

A. Release a game that hype has been building about.
B. Advertise said game on your blog hours before you put it on the store.
C. Take down the PSN store so no one can access said game from PC or Console.

With that said, totally can not wait for the PSN store and service to work…WTG Sony!

+ stevenomes on July 7th, 2015 at 2:25 pm said:

trying to download it but PSN is down. a sad sad day when servers cannot support this even. cannot imagine it was a hack or we would have heard something about it by now. what an embarrassment.

+ PsychoCircus69 on July 7th, 2015 at 2:29 pm said:

Downloading right now. Serious pain in the butt though. Much button mashing to get through to the download screen. UNACCEPTABLE performance from Sony. It’s not an every now and then thing, it’s happening more and more often! FIX YOUR SERVERS!!

+ Quokimbo on July 7th, 2015 at 2:35 pm said:

Which way did you access it? I got really close to finalizing the transaction through the phone. I used the PSN app to open the store and it let me log in reluctantly but has been stuck at the Confirm Purchase stage. I have tried PC, PS4, and my phone with no avail.

+ stevenomes on July 7th, 2015 at 2:37 pm said:

your better off waiting until servers are back up. who knows when that may be though. if you are lucky you can play this game tonight. just too frustrating to waste time glitching it to get it to work.

+ stevenomes on July 7th, 2015 at 2:40 pm said:

i glitched it after a few attempts of getting error codes right at download screen it is finally downloading. this is a total embarassment for sony. i dont expect compensation or anything i just expect the system to work as it is intended. its too bad such a shame they cannot keep it up long enough for this to work. they should rename this blog “it’s not happening yet!”

+ PsychoCircus69 on July 7th, 2015 at 2:41 pm said:

That’s pretty much how I did it. Downloading crazy slow too. I want to play now. Been jonesing since the last beta ended!!

+ Quokimbo on July 7th, 2015 at 2:40 pm said:

Did you play the beta? I am constantly trying to get it to load and reload this. I work tonight in a few hours and want to get in some Soccar before I leave. I mean no worries, but I have not felt like this since I could not play ESO on the North American servers on launch day! Ha! Excitement absolutely drained because of server issues and PSN statuses.

+ Quokimbo on July 7th, 2015 at 2:41 pm said:

Did you use the PC, Phone, or PS4?

+ PsychoCircus69 on July 7th, 2015 at 2:42 pm said:

PS4. Been unable to log in via PC all day

+ Quokimbo on July 7th, 2015 at 2:45 pm said:

I did as you mentioned on the PS4. Just keep loading the Store and bypassing the error. Soon enough you all might be able to have the same luck…The store actually closed after I clicked the Download button and started the download even though it closed out the store. Keep trying the store through your PS4 and it should work…with any luck. My PS4 says I am currently downloading the update and the game. Both added up seems to be right at around three gigs. 1.4 for the game and 1.6 on the patch. 58 Minutes till I am finished with both of them. Hopefully it will be a quick download since no one else seems to be able to access it! Ha!

+ razor031 on July 7th, 2015 at 2:41 pm said:

Oh yes psn is up for me in California been waiting for hours it should work in a hour for u guys yes im so hyped.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ razor031 on July 7th, 2015 at 2:44 pm said:

I might have glinched it too that the only way its really easy so get to glinch so when it sasy error click link then wait so back up then do that until u glinch in :] hope you like the tip

+ stevenomes on July 7th, 2015 at 3:01 pm said:

yeah mine is downloading but it failed twice already and i had to retry it. it is working again but going really slow. keep monitoring it and it should get through. sadly i have to leave in about an hour and a half so i doubt this will be done quickly enough. at this rate even if it does finish ill only have a bit of time left before i have to head out. considering this blog posted like 5 hours ago and it just now is starting to work, i think it is kind of ridiculous. the minute this blog went up servers went down. coincidence?

+ stevenomes on July 7th, 2015 at 3:28 pm said:

finally downloaded but update file shows 860MB/1.631GB. it shows the status bar now with 114 minutes left. it is crawling. 1MB in 10 sec. that is the slowest i have ever seen anything download for PSN.

+ razor031 on July 7th, 2015 at 4:53 pm said:

Yeah but hope it works cause i got no one to play with :[

+ OnTheBus666 on July 7th, 2015 at 5:25 pm said:

I’m loving this game so far; my only criticism is that when I score the announcer doesn’t yell “goooooooooooooooooooooooooolllllllll” for ten seconds, but hey that’s what DLC is for.

+ SpartanAngel36 on July 7th, 2015 at 5:33 pm said:

The game is just as fun and awesome like i thought it would be.Just wish 1 i had ppl to play with and 2 the servers would work otherwise great modes like the season mode. If anyone wants to play hit me up im down

+ TJF588 on July 7th, 2015 at 5:34 pm said:

Y’know, I’mma count this as “one of the reasons I need to get a PS4” (since my laptop’s sub-par). Free for Plus subscribers (y’know, those with online access already), free maps, and paid cars. Just so long as said cars aren’t ranking-breaking, that sounds like a decent setup.

+ shadowslayer1008 on July 7th, 2015 at 5:50 pm said:

hi I just got rocket league today on my ps4 with ps plus but there is one problem. I can’t connect to the servers to play online. I cannot connect to the rocket league servers. It asks me to reconnect but the game won’t allow me to hit the yes button.

+ razor031 on July 7th, 2015 at 6:03 pm said:

Its fine this happened to everybody currently they are fixing the proplem i suggest to kill some time playing other game well farewell hope to see you on there and have a good day.

+ APM369 on July 7th, 2015 at 6:39 pm said:

Asian PS Plus users don’t get Rocket League. :(

+ ccanfield1 on July 7th, 2015 at 6:53 pm said:

I first got to try your game at the Playstation Experience and I’m glad to see the final game release. I’m excited to see so many Plus members get the chance to enjoy the frantic multiplayer fun. Congratulations to everyone on the team. I really glad you are making all the future maps free so the community isn’t split. I look forward to competing against you guys online.

+ deadendblues on July 7th, 2015 at 10:19 pm said:

Whatever happened to plus discounts like the bloodborn sale in June. It even had a fancy name…

+ comatosevessel on July 7th, 2015 at 10:49 pm said:

AWEEEEESOME!!!! I was hoping this was going to be free for PS Plus members. Saw people play this game on YouTube and it looked bad ass. Can’t wait to play!

+ amackey10 on July 7th, 2015 at 10:51 pm said:

Just played season mode for 2 straight hours because it doesn’t work online (please hurry up and fix that) and I really enjoyed it. I’d have more fun online though, since that’s the main focus of the game. Once you fix that, I think the game will serve as an awesome multiplayer game to whet my appetite for the uncharted 4 beta, the retail release of uncharted 4 and beyond. I’ve been wanting an awesome online competitive multiplayer game on PS4 for a long time and I think you guys will deliver on this one once the online is fixed.

+ stevenomes on July 7th, 2015 at 11:12 pm said:

not sure how you can release this without online connectivity. the game is fun and all but isnt multiplayer a major portion of it? it doesnt work because servers are down or just that multiplayer will be added later?

+ stevenomes on July 7th, 2015 at 11:52 pm said:

“We’ve poured our heart and soul into Rocket League, and we’ve done everything we can to make it the best game possible — whether it’s dedicated servers, crossplay with PC users, 10 billion-plus customization combinations, an all-new Season Mode, four-player splitscreen, eight-player online”

If that is the case why doesnt onlilne work? this is the kind of thing that frustrates me. dont say one thing and do something else. it was the same with this hype machine as soon as the game goes live sony servers are down. and nobody can play for 5 hours. if the online doesnt work to start fine, but dont imply it is going to be working and then it doesnt. I like this game and hope online gets fixed soon.

+ IcedDice777 on July 8th, 2015 at 1:39 am said:

Thanx for this fun game! Would gladly pay for more Twisted Metal vehicle DLC packs and even The Batmobile from Arkham knight. Make it happen Psyonix.

+ saab01 on July 8th, 2015 at 7:43 am said:

Really enjoying rocket league and I didn’t think I would have. I ended it up playing it for 2 hours last night and stayed up till 2 am which never happens. Its cool but how do we play as sweet tooth? Really nice that the game was given to us free on its release date.

+ mommo_h on July 8th, 2015 at 12:21 pm said:

Is it only me or what ? Can’t seem to come into a online game. I can wait for 30 min and still nothing happend….

+ pedrohq16 on July 9th, 2015 at 5:38 pm said:

This is happening with me as well, after I’ve updated the game today.

+ finaler on July 8th, 2015 at 9:07 pm said:

This is a really fun game on single player. As for the multiplayer, it takes way too long to find a match. I don’t care about player skill level, I just want to quickly get in a match.

+ MastaChiefMc on July 9th, 2015 at 9:30 am said:

Hallo, i can play Online trough Matchmaking on the PS4, but i can not create a Groupe or Join a Group. How to solve this Problem??

+ Komredd on July 9th, 2015 at 8:53 pm said:

I love this game; I hate the AI most times as it will have teammates score goals against you?? But LOVE the game.

+ GUEVARA_5150 on July 10th, 2015 at 6:34 am said:

This game is a total surprise! So much fun spent a good 4 hours playing yesterday the time flies when you’re really having fun! great job guys! I will happily be supporting all content you put out!

PAGE 1 2