Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Jul 15

Jul 15

Hands on: Uncharted The Nathan Drake Collection on PS4

Sid Shuman's Avatar Posted by Director, SIEA Social Media

Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception. Great games, burdened only by the fact that they’re bound to the almost nine year-old PS3. And, well, my TV only has two HDMI inputs, and they’re awfully hard to reach…

Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection

The good news is that Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection brings these three classics to PS4 in remastered form, lovingly detailed by the exacting touch of veteran studio Bluepoint. I got to play a short sequence from Uncharted 2: Among Thieves — namely, the thrilling helicopter attack set piece you might remember from PlayStation’s E3 2009 Press Conference (good memory, by the way!).

Based on what I played, PS4’s copious processing power is helping Uncharted 2 age gracefully. We should all be so lucky as Nate. The new 1080p resolution and generous framerate give everything a clean, crisp, fluid look and feel that flatters the original PS3 version without betraying Naughty Dog’s vision. One might say that this is Uncharted 2 the way it was meant to be played. And yep, that building still falls down real good.

I played unfinished code that was missing a few minor visual effects, but Bluepoint’s loving influence was readily apparent. The studio is upgrading character models, environment textures, lighting, and special effects across the board, bringing all three games as close to visual modernity as possible while ensuring they remain true to their original creative direction.

Uncharted: The Nathan Drake CollectionUncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection

As the studio finalizes work on the collection, it will also roll in the assorted control scheme tweaks, gameplay refinements, and subtle mechanical upgrades that evolved through the series across all three games, bringing them into closer gameplay parity.

Though my experiences with the game were brief, they were encouraging. You’ll get to see for yourself when a playable demo launches on the PlayStation Store later this summer.

Have questions? I’ll do my best to answer in the comments below!

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

Dragonslayer_023 said:

July 15th, 1:05 pm

What frame rate exactly qualifies as generous?

July 15th, 3:16 pm

Target of 60 fps. Felt pretty much identical to The Last of Us Remastered in this regard. Super smooth.

Blacerrr said:

July 15th, 1:08 pm

Probably 30 FPS.

CapJSheridan said:

July 15th, 1:10 pm

Since the original were 30 FPS, I don’t see how it would qualify as generous

BrianMcGuinness said:

July 15th, 1:39 pm

OH MY GOD THE ONLY THING I CARE ABOUT IS FRAMERATE AND IF IT ISN’T UP TO MY STANDARDS I WILL SUE!

yowzagabowza said:

July 15th, 1:44 pm

Its not locked at 60, we know that.
    Funny how this is three games for 60 yet GOW is one game and its 40. Pretty lame.

NEOMERCER said:

July 16th, 11:39 am

It’s 60 FPS

MarinoBrea said:

July 15th, 1:05 pm

What do you mean by ” upgrading character models”? Are they trying to make them all look closer to their Uncharted 3 rendition (in terms of polygon count and detail) ? That could be pretty cool as long as it all remains consistent with the rest of the characters in each game.

July 15th, 3:17 pm

Yes, this is correct – the models, textures, and lighting are much overhauled. Much closer to U3

Renato-II said:

July 15th, 1:07 pm

Beautiful! Can not wait to get this game!

Love Uncharted for forever <3

Dethfuse said:

July 15th, 1:11 pm

Absolutely cannot wait to play through these amazing games again. I do have two questions though. First, are we getting a seperate platinum trophy for each game or we getting only one platinum trophy for the entire collection. And for my second question, will all 3 games be on separate discs? And if its digital how much space will it use? I guess that was three questions lol.

rafael_martines said:

July 15th, 1:15 pm

Maybe as the other SONY collections, is one platinum for each game :) I wonder if they will remaster Golden Abyss…

Kid_Loser said:

July 15th, 1:08 pm

How does Drake’s Fortune look? I remember watching someone play it not too long ago, and it looks really.. painty… paintlike… Idk how to describe it. Does it look more like the new ones or does it have a nice updated look with the graphic style it had still in mind?

July 15th, 3:18 pm

Drake’s Fortune will look way better on PS4, but haven’t seen it running yet so not sure how big the jump is aside from the obvious resolution and frame rate upgrades.

MacThiarnain said:

July 15th, 1:08 pm

Is Crushing unlocked from the start of all 3 games?

July 15th, 3:19 pm

Great question – will ask..

MarinoBrea said:

July 15th, 1:10 pm

Good question, I’d like to see them reply with a YES.

wjang said:

July 15th, 3:31 pm

that would be funny if it was unlocked from the start, but then unlocked an even higher tier of difficulty like TLOU grounded mode.

CrusaderForever said:

July 15th, 4:02 pm

Thanks Sid!!

PatricioUSA said:

July 15th, 8:42 pm

Any new?

AizawaYuuichi said:

July 15th, 11:54 pm

Kinda Funny asked Neil and Bruce when they interviewed them at E3, and they confirmed that yes, Crushing would be unlocked from the start.

wjang said:

July 17th, 4:46 pm

@AizawaYuuichi pretty sure they were joking because they aren’t in charge of the remake, also according to this article an extra difficulty mode http://www.gamespot.com/articles/uncharted-collection-adds-new-difficulty-drops-for/1100-6428949/

Roaming_Ryu said:

July 15th, 1:09 pm

Hi Sid! I’m mostly curious about what the character models from Uncharted 1 now look like. Can you tell us a bit how they’re being improved? Cheers!

July 15th, 3:19 pm

Only got a few minutes to try U2, sorry :) I’m curious too!

Kchow23 said:

July 15th, 1:09 pm

Are we talking locked 60 fps generosity?

July 15th, 3:19 pm

Targeting 60 fps, it looked dead-on in my small playthrough area.

KamikazeBingo said:

July 15th, 1:12 pm

Question!

Are the cutscenes re-rendered at 60fps, or kept the same as in the PS3 game?

July 15th, 3:20 pm

Great question – didn’t see any cinematics (the demo was short) but I will see what I can dig up!

KazeEternal said:

July 15th, 1:13 pm

Sid can you pass this on if they aren’t checking themselves?

Thank you BluePoint Studios for all the hard work on these remasters over the years. I’m really looking forward to the Uncharted Collection.

July 15th, 3:21 pm

Will do :) I love them too. They’re the best.

sealum01 said:

July 15th, 1:14 pm

I can’t wait to play! Having never played any of the Uncharted Series, this seems like a perfect time to dive in and experience the wonderful trilogy in anticipation of Uncharted 4.

July 15th, 3:21 pm

Yeah – this is a great chance for folks who missed out on PS3 or just the series as a whole. One of my faves from last gen.

drd7of14 said:

July 15th, 1:15 pm

It would be cool if the combat system with punches was integrated into 1 and 2 from 3, and throwing grenades back. Heck, even additional weapons, but I don’t know if they’ll go that far. Slow down there cowboy…Looking forward to whatever they do! Bluepoint does a great job with HD(or otherwise) ports!

July 15th, 3:21 pm

Agreed. U2’s melee felt like U2, I should note.

iiTz_GoMeZ_849 said:

July 15th, 1:17 pm

Uncharted 2 & 3 are going to have multiplayer?

Ricen-Beans said:

July 15th, 1:28 pm

Only single player campaigns for all 3 games. No MP.

You do get the U4 MP beta though.

Kchow23 said:

July 15th, 1:20 pm

Any changes to the trophies?

bbswarrior_11 said:

July 15th, 1:23 pm

So excited to hear that a demo is coming up later on. I really want to replay these games so many times on my ps4

paulogy said:

July 15th, 1:27 pm

Hi Sid, this is good news!

Now that the DualShock 4’s triggers have been improved, might we be able to map fire onto R2 instead of R1?

Also, I forget, will the Collection include a photo mode?

July 15th, 3:22 pm

I was playing on a version that used the original PS3 controls; the final version will let you swap to the now-standard L2/R2.

July 15th, 3:23 pm

And and yes, Photo Mode confirmed. Booya!

neonsword13 said:

July 15th, 1:30 pm

Will we be able to separately purchase any of the remastered Uncharted titles on PS4? I’m only interested in 2 because it’s one of my favorite games.

July 15th, 3:22 pm

No, I don’t believe so.

EggySong85 said:

July 18th, 8:02 am

You can purchase any of the 3 at full price, and it will come with the other 2 for free! Bonus! ;)

SLEEPLESS_KNIGHT said:

July 15th, 1:31 pm

Very excited to play through the Uncharted trilogy again! The series was arguably one of the best looking of last-gen already so the new 1080p resolution and smoother framerate are like icing on the cake! Spring of 2016 can’t come soon enough for Uncharted 4 but the Nathan Drake Collection will help scratch that itch until then.

Naustradamus said:

July 15th, 1:33 pm

Please just confirm 60 FPS … if it’s going to be HD’d then it needs to be this:

July 15th, 3:23 pm

Yep, targeted 60 fps.

akibake said:

July 15th, 1:35 pm

I understand that there is (sadly) no multiplayer in this collection. I can kind of understand the decision, because it would require dedicated servers for quite some time. Multiplayer would have been excellent on PS4, though.

I’m not sure it’s been specifically mentioned, but will there also be no co-op? As fun as multiplayer was on U2 and U3, my friends and I found co-op to be the most fun. Perhaps it depends whether dedicated servers would be required for co-op, but I would assume that the syncing happens on the client side for co-op. If co-op IS present on this collection, my friends and I will be buying this collection, without hesitation.

July 15th, 3:24 pm

It’s just the campaign stories, so sadly no co-op. But you’ll get access to the U4 multiplayer beta…

bluto20 said:

July 15th, 1:40 pm

Drop that kitty down low!

CrusaderForever said:

July 15th, 1:40 pm

Yes! My #1 most anticipated fall release! Looks spectacular! Do you know if this is going to be 60FPS? I thought that was what they were pushing for. Do you know if you will be able to start Crushing Mode right away? Thanks for the pics!

lisatsunami said:

July 15th, 1:44 pm

I’m confused about this. Will we be able to earn trophies all over again in addition to the ones we got on the original PS3 version? U2 is one of the best games ever, so incredibly fun that I played it twice. I might play it again if I get new trophies.

U1 had the creepy zombie thingies. Scared me too much, lol. U3 gave me motion sickness.

Nonetheless, this is really really great for all the console converts who came to Playstation with the PS4. Now they can see what we’ve all been raving about, about Uncharted series, all these years. This and TLoU and they’ll have to admit the Naughty Dog is simply the best dev ever.

Zoryu_of_Setsuna said:

July 15th, 1:44 pm

Well, i can’t wait to get my hands on this! I never did get to play the first game and the 3rd game, so this is definitely on my must buy list.

Gamer_USA- said:

July 15th, 1:45 pm

As DLC has become the standard practice, is there any planned DLC for this game?

BlaqMagiq24 said:

July 16th, 6:43 am

There wasn’t any for the PS3 versions aside from MP DLC. But seeing that there’s no MP…

airJordan_Xx said:

July 15th, 1:45 pm

Can you explain why there no multiplayer for uncharted 2 and uncharted 3 because if you didn’t want to split p the player base for them the only game mode you can play is tdm because online community not there so please exloian why no multiplayer

jamaal76 said:

July 15th, 1:46 pm

I love Uncharted definitely my favorite series but I can’t spend $60 for a game I played and beaten numerous times maybe one day when it’s dirt cheap

ZGamer097 said:

July 17th, 4:00 am

I am in this exact same situation

MagicalNightKat said:

July 21st, 7:49 am

I was almost at that same situation, but i’m still getting it since never had the chance to try Uncharted 1, and i really want to try out the beta too! :)

avanfreak23 said:

July 15th, 2:21 pm

Where is Uncharted Golden Abyss for PS4? It also had Nathan Drake… You know the Nathan Drake Collection

JoeUFC said:

July 15th, 3:10 pm

That’s why I’m so confused that they called it this… they did with the Master Chief Collection because there were spin off games without him… makes absolutely no sense with this collection, especially since the Vita one relied so heavily on the touch screen and probably will never be re-released…

opikal said:

July 15th, 2:30 pm

I would be happy if the first one just didn’t have screen tearing. Maybe it would help if it was a little bit easier too. That up river jet ski chapter made me want to break my controller in half.

saiyanknight87 said:

July 15th, 2:33 pm

Hey Sid! Can we please get the PS Vita Uncharted Included as well! Also I’m sure it should be known there’s a great demand for at least the Uncharted 2 MP. There have been petitions, Forum post and all. Let’s make that happen or at least give us an explanation why it can’t be implemented? I’m really looking forward to this game. But I truly wanted just a tad bit more than just the story campaigns at least Co-Op play would make it Nice and more worth while in relation to value!

JoeUFC said:

July 15th, 3:08 pm

They’ve already announced the game and it’s 3 months away, they wouldn’t be able to add that now lol… maybe one day, as DLC, possibly.. but having the studio add in all the multiplayer would have probably made this project take too long while they’re already focusing on multiplayer for part 4. Also, I think they would have had the same kind of problems as the Halo collection since it would have been an incredible amount of content on one disc. Don’t get me wrong, I agree about the Golden Abyss though, but they didn’t even bother making it compatible for Playstation TV, since it relies so heavily on the touch screen…

subsamuel01 said:

July 15th, 4:21 pm

The Uncharted Golden Abyss should stay on the Vita where it belongs, that game is the biggest game that the platform.

Fuhr31 said:

July 15th, 2:41 pm

With an HDMI splitter I have my PS3 and PS4 plugged in to the same input. Problem solved!

JoeUFC said:

July 15th, 2:56 pm

Yeah, but it’s just so much easier without those lol…

KazeEternal said:

July 15th, 11:41 pm

Latency man. I’ve tried that config with a low latency handler. Still screwed with my headshots.

gtuil said:

July 15th, 2:59 pm

As someone with all three games on a working PS3 and who doesn’t really care about graphics and framerate. What features would get me to rebuy these games for PS4? Does UC3 have cheats and model changes like UC1 and 2 did? What does the pre-order bonus do? I get that there skins but its vague on what they’re for, UC1 and 2 or all three? Are there any gameplay changes?

July 15th, 3:25 pm

Not clear on all of the changes here, but the resolution and frame rate clean things up a whole, whole lot. Will keep you posted on other details as they emerge.

D-Squad3 said:

July 15th, 3:08 pm

When will the Uncharted 4 Beta be available?

July 15th, 3:25 pm

No timing details, but stay tuned.

Tefrin said:

July 15th, 3:22 pm

Are any videos posted for it yet?

Kchow23 said:

July 15th, 3:51 pm

How easy is it to transition between games are they all under one menu?

Kchow23 said:

July 15th, 3:52 pm

Also is replacing Six Axis controls for UC1 one of the changes or will that remain the same?

subsamuel01 said:

July 15th, 4:19 pm

Uncharted 2 and 3 already looked amazing, if the game truly runs at 60FPS then i’ll be satisfied. I’m more curious about Drakes Fortune, that game was really starting to show its age, plus the game used six axis motion controls.

Hatchetforce said:

July 15th, 4:26 pm

“Any changes to the trophies?”

There has to be at least a slight change because 2 and 3 had 1 or 2 Coop/MP trophies which were required to Platinum the game. So there has to be a change even if it is just an omission.

kdiep said:

July 15th, 4:56 pm

Does Uncharted 3 have 3D TV support like the original version? Would probably look really nice with the improved frame rate.

AizawaYuuichi said:

July 15th, 11:58 pm

This is what I’m most curious about. When Bluepoint remastered Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, they added 3D to both games. I’m really hoping they aren’t removing 3D from Uncharted 3. I loved playing it that way on PS3, it would be great to do it again on PS4. Heck, hopefully they just aren’t saying anything, but all three games will be in 3D. A gamer can hope, right?

plaztiksyke said:

July 17th, 9:53 am

Bluepoint already said that they are *removing* stereo 3D support from Uncharted 3, which is *extremely* disappointing.

I appreciate that 60fps might not be possible with stereo 3D, but I’d prefer they offer the same option as they did in The Last of Us to lock at 30fps in order to turn on better lighting, stereo 3D, etc.

All of the PS2 -> PS3 remasters *added* features which, along with the pricing, made for fantastic value. I hope Uncharted Collection removing features and stuttering performance of other remasters aren’t the first hints that these remasters are turning into shovelware for the platform.

PS: Hopefully Bluepoint can ‘remaster’ Blast Factor for PS4/Vita — one of my favorite early PSN titles that a friend and I poured 60+ hours into! The sound design in that game was amazing if you have a home theater speaker setup!

TeamGreen615 said:

July 15th, 4:57 pm

Hey Double S, Will we still hear Sully yell “Nate! Noooooo!” if Drake falls off a cliff?

B3GV5M63 said:

July 15th, 5:20 pm

When the PS6 comes we will get the playable version of all the PS3 games that we have now that are running at 20 FPS. its funny how when remastered games get released “60 FPS FULL HD” and when regular games get released “30 FPS IS CINEMATIC. AND BLACK BARS ON THE SIDE ARE TOO”. c’mon man. make the system more powerful.

KazeEternal said:

July 15th, 11:42 pm

They tried more powerful last gen and people thumbed their noses at it. Something about the price being too much.

AizawaYuuichi said:

July 15th, 11:56 pm

@ Kaze: +1

ThievingFalcon said:

July 15th, 5:28 pm

Are those images from the Uncharted Collection or are they just from Uncharted 2 PS3?

Astroking112 said:

July 15th, 6:17 pm

A demo? I thought those were extinct! Thank goodness! I may buy this just to support having more demos now, lol.

Seriously though, Golden Abyss really should be here. It isn’t really the “Nathan Drake Collection” without all of his story, and it would help appease the pains of the removed multiplayer by including a ‘brand new’ story that most players probably never got to see. I’m sorry Vita, but Sony isn’t supporting you, so there’s really no point in keeping Golden Abyss exclusive.

Then again, I guess that that would require too much for this remaster. I love Uncharted, but it’s pretty apparent that this is a quick rush to fill that itch for this year and compete with any opposing exclusives for the holiday (Along with even releasing before U4). If more time was allotted, then we probably would’ve seen Golden Abyss AND multiplayer.

Because of these obvious cut corners, I’m probably only going to borrow the game from one of my friends who never played the originals. That’s really the only use of this collection it seems, sadly.

tusunami said:

July 15th, 6:56 pm

This is good for those that haven’t played the game. I’m only buying remastered games that I have not played.

fuel2thafire99 said:

July 15th, 9:02 pm

Wait So there Will be a demo? Will it come out before the game release or after? PreOrder it already but would love to get a taste of it early!

Coloran said:

July 15th, 9:46 pm

I can’t wait for more info on this.

AMDman18 said:

July 15th, 10:35 pm

I may be in the minority here but I really hope they don’t overhaul the first one TOO much. I think all I’d want to see is a cleaned up framerate and some of the enemies tweaked a bit(they were REALLY bullet spongey in that first title…) but other than that I really just want to experience that game as close as possible to how it was originally and have an easy way to go from that first one to the newer ones.

Shalone said:

July 15th, 11:25 pm

Having just seen this in motion from various sources.. I am very, very impressed to say the least.
I enjoyed the original games, and feel this might be the best way to play it.. I may actually finish Uncharted 1 now!
(For some reason, combat just seemed to slog on in UC1, the later games enemies were less bullet spongey but.. got 1 was annoying)

Also, I’m glad people are pointing out the BS Microsoft & Epic are spouting with “Gear of War Ultimate Edition.”
They are actually on record as saying the reason they only did Gears 1 was because they didn’t have the time or manpower to do the entire series. Which is just a crap excuse when you see releases like this, or their own MCC. All they really did was dump the resources into the new Unreal 4 engine, and optimized the assets and textures to run better.

Thank you for sharing this update with us!

Shalone said:

July 16th, 12:06 am

AizawaYuuichi
    All I did was google it and posted the date found there.
    I didn’t even look to see what day it was…

AizawaYuuichi said:

July 16th, 1:18 pm

@ Shalone: Don’t worry, it’s cool. October 7th is the European release date, so technically you’re not wrong. But this is the US Blog, so I posted the US date, and specified the day since most releases are on Tuesdays. Have a good one!

Shalone said:

July 16th, 5:44 pm

@AizawaYuuichi
    I’m from the states myself, after you pointed it out I went to look and was confused to why it was a wednesday.

kmetek said:

July 15th, 11:41 pm

when is this releasing?

Shalone said:

July 15th, 11:44 pm

October 7, 2015

AizawaYuuichi said:

July 15th, 11:55 pm

It’s actually October 9th, which is a Friday.

kmetek said:

July 15th, 11:46 pm

thanks 3 months :(

Monterossa said:

July 16th, 1:29 am

dat ass.

WilliamBKenney said:

July 16th, 3:31 am

Make 7500 bucks every month… Start doing online computer-based work through our website. I have been working from home for 4 years now and I love it. I don’t have a boss standing over my shoulder and I make my own hours. The tips below are very informative and anyone currently workin­­g from home or planning to in the future could use this website…
⇨⇨⇨⇨⇨⇨⇨⇨⇨⇨ w­­­w­­w.­­E­­x­­t­­r­­a­­-­­i­­n­­c­­o­­m­­e­­9­­0­­­.­­­Com­­­

SpooNManX said:

July 20th, 11:17 am

Moderators…. MODERATE this crap please.

PAGE 1 2