Spider-Man PS4

Jul 15

nathandrake

Hands on: Uncharted The Nathan Drake Collection on PS4

Sid Shuman's Avatar Posted by on Jul 15, 2015 // Senior Manager, Social Media, SIEA

Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception. Great games, burdened only by the fact that they’re bound to the almost nine year-old PS3. And, well, my TV only has two HDMI inputs, and they’re awfully hard to reach…

Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection

The good news is that Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection brings these three classics to PS4 in remastered form, lovingly detailed by the exacting touch of veteran studio Bluepoint. I got to play a short sequence from Uncharted 2: Among Thieves — namely, the thrilling helicopter attack set piece you might remember from PlayStation’s E3 2009 Press Conference (good memory, by the way!).

Based on what I played, PS4’s copious processing power is helping Uncharted 2 age gracefully. We should all be so lucky as Nate. The new 1080p resolution and generous framerate give everything a clean, crisp, fluid look and feel that flatters the original PS3 version without betraying Naughty Dog’s vision. One might say that this is Uncharted 2 the way it was meant to be played. And yep, that building still falls down real good.

I played unfinished code that was missing a few minor visual effects, but Bluepoint’s loving influence was readily apparent. The studio is upgrading character models, environment textures, lighting, and special effects across the board, bringing all three games as close to visual modernity as possible while ensuring they remain true to their original creative direction.

Uncharted: The Nathan Drake CollectionUncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection

As the studio finalizes work on the collection, it will also roll in the assorted control scheme tweaks, gameplay refinements, and subtle mechanical upgrades that evolved through the series across all three games, bringing them into closer gameplay parity.

Though my experiences with the game were brief, they were encouraging. You’ll get to see for yourself when a playable demo launches on the PlayStation Store later this summer.

Have questions? I’ll do my best to answer in the comments below!

PAGE 1 2

+ Dragonslayer_023 on July 15th, 2015 at 1:05 pm said:

What frame rate exactly qualifies as generous?

+ Sid Shuman on July 15th, 2015 at 3:16 pm said:

Target of 60 fps. Felt pretty much identical to The Last of Us Remastered in this regard. Super smooth.

+ Blacerrr on July 15th, 2015 at 1:08 pm said:

Probably 30 FPS.

+ CapJSheridan on July 15th, 2015 at 1:10 pm said:

Since the original were 30 FPS, I don’t see how it would qualify as generous

+ BrianMcGuinness on July 15th, 2015 at 1:39 pm said:

OH MY GOD THE ONLY THING I CARE ABOUT IS FRAMERATE AND IF IT ISN’T UP TO MY STANDARDS I WILL SUE!

+ yowzagabowza on July 15th, 2015 at 1:44 pm said:

Its not locked at 60, we know that.
    Funny how this is three games for 60 yet GOW is one game and its 40. Pretty lame.

+ NEOMERCER on July 16th, 2015 at 11:39 am said:

It’s 60 FPS

+ MarinoBrea on July 15th, 2015 at 1:05 pm said:

What do you mean by ” upgrading character models”? Are they trying to make them all look closer to their Uncharted 3 rendition (in terms of polygon count and detail) ? That could be pretty cool as long as it all remains consistent with the rest of the characters in each game.

+ Sid Shuman on July 15th, 2015 at 3:17 pm said:

Yes, this is correct – the models, textures, and lighting are much overhauled. Much closer to U3

+ Renato-II on July 15th, 2015 at 1:07 pm said:

Beautiful! Can not wait to get this game!

Love Uncharted for forever <3

+ Dethfuse on July 15th, 2015 at 1:11 pm said:

Absolutely cannot wait to play through these amazing games again. I do have two questions though. First, are we getting a seperate platinum trophy for each game or we getting only one platinum trophy for the entire collection. And for my second question, will all 3 games be on separate discs? And if its digital how much space will it use? I guess that was three questions lol.

+ rafael_martines on July 15th, 2015 at 1:15 pm said:

Maybe as the other SONY collections, is one platinum for each game :) I wonder if they will remaster Golden Abyss…

+ Kid_Loser on July 15th, 2015 at 1:08 pm said:

How does Drake’s Fortune look? I remember watching someone play it not too long ago, and it looks really.. painty… paintlike… Idk how to describe it. Does it look more like the new ones or does it have a nice updated look with the graphic style it had still in mind?

+ Sid Shuman on July 15th, 2015 at 3:18 pm said:

Drake’s Fortune will look way better on PS4, but haven’t seen it running yet so not sure how big the jump is aside from the obvious resolution and frame rate upgrades.

+ MacThiarnain on July 15th, 2015 at 1:08 pm said:

Is Crushing unlocked from the start of all 3 games?

+ Sid Shuman on July 15th, 2015 at 3:19 pm said:

Great question – will ask..

+ MarinoBrea on July 15th, 2015 at 1:10 pm said:

Good question, I’d like to see them reply with a YES.

+ wjang on July 15th, 2015 at 3:31 pm said:

that would be funny if it was unlocked from the start, but then unlocked an even higher tier of difficulty like TLOU grounded mode.

+ CrusaderForever on July 15th, 2015 at 4:02 pm said:

Thanks Sid!!

+ PatricioUSA on July 15th, 2015 at 8:42 pm said:

Any new?

+ AizawaYuuichi on July 15th, 2015 at 11:54 pm said:

Kinda Funny asked Neil and Bruce when they interviewed them at E3, and they confirmed that yes, Crushing would be unlocked from the start.

+ wjang on July 17th, 2015 at 4:46 pm said:

@AizawaYuuichi pretty sure they were joking because they aren’t in charge of the remake, also according to this article an extra difficulty mode http://www.gamespot.com/articles/uncharted-collection-adds-new-difficulty-drops-for/1100-6428949/

+ Roaming_Ryu on July 15th, 2015 at 1:09 pm said:

Hi Sid! I’m mostly curious about what the character models from Uncharted 1 now look like. Can you tell us a bit how they’re being improved? Cheers!

+ Sid Shuman on July 15th, 2015 at 3:19 pm said:

Only got a few minutes to try U2, sorry :) I’m curious too!

+ Kchow23 on July 15th, 2015 at 1:09 pm said:

Are we talking locked 60 fps generosity?

+ Sid Shuman on July 15th, 2015 at 3:19 pm said:

Targeting 60 fps, it looked dead-on in my small playthrough area.

+ KamikazeBingo on July 15th, 2015 at 1:12 pm said:

Question!

Are the cutscenes re-rendered at 60fps, or kept the same as in the PS3 game?

+ Sid Shuman on July 15th, 2015 at 3:20 pm said:

Great question – didn’t see any cinematics (the demo was short) but I will see what I can dig up!

+ KazeEternal on July 15th, 2015 at 1:13 pm said:

Sid can you pass this on if they aren’t checking themselves?

Thank you BluePoint Studios for all the hard work on these remasters over the years. I’m really looking forward to the Uncharted Collection.

+ Sid Shuman on July 15th, 2015 at 3:21 pm said:

Will do :) I love them too. They’re the best.

+ sealum01 on July 15th, 2015 at 1:14 pm said:

I can’t wait to play! Having never played any of the Uncharted Series, this seems like a perfect time to dive in and experience the wonderful trilogy in anticipation of Uncharted 4.

+ Sid Shuman on July 15th, 2015 at 3:21 pm said:

Yeah – this is a great chance for folks who missed out on PS3 or just the series as a whole. One of my faves from last gen.

+ drd7of14 on July 15th, 2015 at 1:15 pm said:

It would be cool if the combat system with punches was integrated into 1 and 2 from 3, and throwing grenades back. Heck, even additional weapons, but I don’t know if they’ll go that far. Slow down there cowboy…Looking forward to whatever they do! Bluepoint does a great job with HD(or otherwise) ports!

+ Sid Shuman on July 15th, 2015 at 3:21 pm said:

Agreed. U2’s melee felt like U2, I should note.

+ iiTz_GoMeZ_849 on July 15th, 2015 at 1:17 pm said:

Uncharted 2 & 3 are going to have multiplayer?

+ Ricen-Beans on July 15th, 2015 at 1:28 pm said:

Only single player campaigns for all 3 games. No MP.

You do get the U4 MP beta though.

+ Kchow23 on July 15th, 2015 at 1:20 pm said:

Any changes to the trophies?

+ bbswarrior_11 on July 15th, 2015 at 1:23 pm said:

So excited to hear that a demo is coming up later on. I really want to replay these games so many times on my ps4

+ paulogy on July 15th, 2015 at 1:27 pm said:

Hi Sid, this is good news!

Now that the DualShock 4’s triggers have been improved, might we be able to map fire onto R2 instead of R1?

Also, I forget, will the Collection include a photo mode?

+ Sid Shuman on July 15th, 2015 at 3:22 pm said:

I was playing on a version that used the original PS3 controls; the final version will let you swap to the now-standard L2/R2.

+ Sid Shuman on July 15th, 2015 at 3:23 pm said:

And and yes, Photo Mode confirmed. Booya!

+ neonsword13 on July 15th, 2015 at 1:30 pm said:

Will we be able to separately purchase any of the remastered Uncharted titles on PS4? I’m only interested in 2 because it’s one of my favorite games.

+ Sid Shuman on July 15th, 2015 at 3:22 pm said:

No, I don’t believe so.

+ EggySong85 on July 18th, 2015 at 8:02 am said:

You can purchase any of the 3 at full price, and it will come with the other 2 for free! Bonus! ;)

+ SLEEPLESS_KNIGHT on July 15th, 2015 at 1:31 pm said:

Very excited to play through the Uncharted trilogy again! The series was arguably one of the best looking of last-gen already so the new 1080p resolution and smoother framerate are like icing on the cake! Spring of 2016 can’t come soon enough for Uncharted 4 but the Nathan Drake Collection will help scratch that itch until then.

+ Naustradamus on July 15th, 2015 at 1:33 pm said:

Please just confirm 60 FPS … if it’s going to be HD’d then it needs to be this:

+ Sid Shuman on July 15th, 2015 at 3:23 pm said:

Yep, targeted 60 fps.

+ akibake on July 15th, 2015 at 1:35 pm said:

I understand that there is (sadly) no multiplayer in this collection. I can kind of understand the decision, because it would require dedicated servers for quite some time. Multiplayer would have been excellent on PS4, though.

I’m not sure it’s been specifically mentioned, but will there also be no co-op? As fun as multiplayer was on U2 and U3, my friends and I found co-op to be the most fun. Perhaps it depends whether dedicated servers would be required for co-op, but I would assume that the syncing happens on the client side for co-op. If co-op IS present on this collection, my friends and I will be buying this collection, without hesitation.

+ Sid Shuman on July 15th, 2015 at 3:24 pm said:

It’s just the campaign stories, so sadly no co-op. But you’ll get access to the U4 multiplayer beta…

+ bluto20 on July 15th, 2015 at 1:40 pm said:

Drop that kitty down low!

+ CrusaderForever on July 15th, 2015 at 1:40 pm said:

Yes! My #1 most anticipated fall release! Looks spectacular! Do you know if this is going to be 60FPS? I thought that was what they were pushing for. Do you know if you will be able to start Crushing Mode right away? Thanks for the pics!

+ lisatsunami on July 15th, 2015 at 1:44 pm said:

I’m confused about this. Will we be able to earn trophies all over again in addition to the ones we got on the original PS3 version? U2 is one of the best games ever, so incredibly fun that I played it twice. I might play it again if I get new trophies.

U1 had the creepy zombie thingies. Scared me too much, lol. U3 gave me motion sickness.

Nonetheless, this is really really great for all the console converts who came to Playstation with the PS4. Now they can see what we’ve all been raving about, about Uncharted series, all these years. This and TLoU and they’ll have to admit the Naughty Dog is simply the best dev ever.

+ Zoryu_of_Setsuna on July 15th, 2015 at 1:44 pm said:

Well, i can’t wait to get my hands on this! I never did get to play the first game and the 3rd game, so this is definitely on my must buy list.

+ Gamer_USA- on July 15th, 2015 at 1:45 pm said:

As DLC has become the standard practice, is there any planned DLC for this game?

+ BlaqMagiq24 on July 16th, 2015 at 6:43 am said:

There wasn’t any for the PS3 versions aside from MP DLC. But seeing that there’s no MP…

+ airJordan_Xx on July 15th, 2015 at 1:45 pm said:

Can you explain why there no multiplayer for uncharted 2 and uncharted 3 because if you didn’t want to split p the player base for them the only game mode you can play is tdm because online community not there so please exloian why no multiplayer

+ jamaal76 on July 15th, 2015 at 1:46 pm said:

I love Uncharted definitely my favorite series but I can’t spend $60 for a game I played and beaten numerous times maybe one day when it’s dirt cheap

+ ZGamer097 on July 17th, 2015 at 4:00 am said:

I am in this exact same situation

+ MagicalNightKat on July 21st, 2015 at 7:49 am said:

I was almost at that same situation, but i’m still getting it since never had the chance to try Uncharted 1, and i really want to try out the beta too! :)

+ avanfreak23 on July 15th, 2015 at 2:21 pm said:

Where is Uncharted Golden Abyss for PS4? It also had Nathan Drake… You know the Nathan Drake Collection

+ JoeUFC on July 15th, 2015 at 3:10 pm said:

That’s why I’m so confused that they called it this… they did with the Master Chief Collection because there were spin off games without him… makes absolutely no sense with this collection, especially since the Vita one relied so heavily on the touch screen and probably will never be re-released…

+ opikal on July 15th, 2015 at 2:30 pm said:

I would be happy if the first one just didn’t have screen tearing. Maybe it would help if it was a little bit easier too. That up river jet ski chapter made me want to break my controller in half.

+ saiyanknight87 on July 15th, 2015 at 2:33 pm said:

Hey Sid! Can we please get the PS Vita Uncharted Included as well! Also I’m sure it should be known there’s a great demand for at least the Uncharted 2 MP. There have been petitions, Forum post and all. Let’s make that happen or at least give us an explanation why it can’t be implemented? I’m really looking forward to this game. But I truly wanted just a tad bit more than just the story campaigns at least Co-Op play would make it Nice and more worth while in relation to value!

+ JoeUFC on July 15th, 2015 at 3:08 pm said:

They’ve already announced the game and it’s 3 months away, they wouldn’t be able to add that now lol… maybe one day, as DLC, possibly.. but having the studio add in all the multiplayer would have probably made this project take too long while they’re already focusing on multiplayer for part 4. Also, I think they would have had the same kind of problems as the Halo collection since it would have been an incredible amount of content on one disc. Don’t get me wrong, I agree about the Golden Abyss though, but they didn’t even bother making it compatible for Playstation TV, since it relies so heavily on the touch screen…

+ subsamuel01 on July 15th, 2015 at 4:21 pm said:

The Uncharted Golden Abyss should stay on the Vita where it belongs, that game is the biggest game that the platform.

+ Fuhr31 on July 15th, 2015 at 2:41 pm said:

With an HDMI splitter I have my PS3 and PS4 plugged in to the same input. Problem solved!

+ JoeUFC on July 15th, 2015 at 2:56 pm said:

Yeah, but it’s just so much easier without those lol…

+ KazeEternal on July 15th, 2015 at 11:41 pm said:

Latency man. I’ve tried that config with a low latency handler. Still screwed with my headshots.

+ gtuil on July 15th, 2015 at 2:59 pm said:

As someone with all three games on a working PS3 and who doesn’t really care about graphics and framerate. What features would get me to rebuy these games for PS4? Does UC3 have cheats and model changes like UC1 and 2 did? What does the pre-order bonus do? I get that there skins but its vague on what they’re for, UC1 and 2 or all three? Are there any gameplay changes?

+ Sid Shuman on July 15th, 2015 at 3:25 pm said:

Not clear on all of the changes here, but the resolution and frame rate clean things up a whole, whole lot. Will keep you posted on other details as they emerge.

+ D-Squad3 on July 15th, 2015 at 3:08 pm said:

When will the Uncharted 4 Beta be available?

+ Sid Shuman on July 15th, 2015 at 3:25 pm said:

No timing details, but stay tuned.

+ Tefrin on July 15th, 2015 at 3:22 pm said:

Are any videos posted for it yet?

+ Kchow23 on July 15th, 2015 at 3:51 pm said:

How easy is it to transition between games are they all under one menu?

+ Kchow23 on July 15th, 2015 at 3:52 pm said:

Also is replacing Six Axis controls for UC1 one of the changes or will that remain the same?

+ subsamuel01 on July 15th, 2015 at 4:19 pm said:

Uncharted 2 and 3 already looked amazing, if the game truly runs at 60FPS then i’ll be satisfied. I’m more curious about Drakes Fortune, that game was really starting to show its age, plus the game used six axis motion controls.

+ Hatchetforce on July 15th, 2015 at 4:26 pm said:

“Any changes to the trophies?”

There has to be at least a slight change because 2 and 3 had 1 or 2 Coop/MP trophies which were required to Platinum the game. So there has to be a change even if it is just an omission.

+ kdiep on July 15th, 2015 at 4:56 pm said:

Does Uncharted 3 have 3D TV support like the original version? Would probably look really nice with the improved frame rate.

+ AizawaYuuichi on July 15th, 2015 at 11:58 pm said:

This is what I’m most curious about. When Bluepoint remastered Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, they added 3D to both games. I’m really hoping they aren’t removing 3D from Uncharted 3. I loved playing it that way on PS3, it would be great to do it again on PS4. Heck, hopefully they just aren’t saying anything, but all three games will be in 3D. A gamer can hope, right?

+ plaztiksyke on July 17th, 2015 at 9:53 am said:

Bluepoint already said that they are *removing* stereo 3D support from Uncharted 3, which is *extremely* disappointing.

I appreciate that 60fps might not be possible with stereo 3D, but I’d prefer they offer the same option as they did in The Last of Us to lock at 30fps in order to turn on better lighting, stereo 3D, etc.

All of the PS2 -> PS3 remasters *added* features which, along with the pricing, made for fantastic value. I hope Uncharted Collection removing features and stuttering performance of other remasters aren’t the first hints that these remasters are turning into shovelware for the platform.

PS: Hopefully Bluepoint can ‘remaster’ Blast Factor for PS4/Vita — one of my favorite early PSN titles that a friend and I poured 60+ hours into! The sound design in that game was amazing if you have a home theater speaker setup!

+ TeamGreen615 on July 15th, 2015 at 4:57 pm said:

Hey Double S, Will we still hear Sully yell “Nate! Noooooo!” if Drake falls off a cliff?

+ B3GV5M63 on July 15th, 2015 at 5:20 pm said:

When the PS6 comes we will get the playable version of all the PS3 games that we have now that are running at 20 FPS. its funny how when remastered games get released “60 FPS FULL HD” and when regular games get released “30 FPS IS CINEMATIC. AND BLACK BARS ON THE SIDE ARE TOO”. c’mon man. make the system more powerful.

+ KazeEternal on July 15th, 2015 at 11:42 pm said:

They tried more powerful last gen and people thumbed their noses at it. Something about the price being too much.

+ AizawaYuuichi on July 15th, 2015 at 11:56 pm said:

@ Kaze: +1

+ ThievingFalcon on July 15th, 2015 at 5:28 pm said:

Are those images from the Uncharted Collection or are they just from Uncharted 2 PS3?

+ Astroking112 on July 15th, 2015 at 6:17 pm said:

A demo? I thought those were extinct! Thank goodness! I may buy this just to support having more demos now, lol.

Seriously though, Golden Abyss really should be here. It isn’t really the “Nathan Drake Collection” without all of his story, and it would help appease the pains of the removed multiplayer by including a ‘brand new’ story that most players probably never got to see. I’m sorry Vita, but Sony isn’t supporting you, so there’s really no point in keeping Golden Abyss exclusive.

Then again, I guess that that would require too much for this remaster. I love Uncharted, but it’s pretty apparent that this is a quick rush to fill that itch for this year and compete with any opposing exclusives for the holiday (Along with even releasing before U4). If more time was allotted, then we probably would’ve seen Golden Abyss AND multiplayer.

Because of these obvious cut corners, I’m probably only going to borrow the game from one of my friends who never played the originals. That’s really the only use of this collection it seems, sadly.

+ tusunami on July 15th, 2015 at 6:56 pm said:

This is good for those that haven’t played the game. I’m only buying remastered games that I have not played.

+ fuel2thafire99 on July 15th, 2015 at 9:02 pm said:

Wait So there Will be a demo? Will it come out before the game release or after? PreOrder it already but would love to get a taste of it early!

+ Coloran on July 15th, 2015 at 9:46 pm said:

I can’t wait for more info on this.

+ AMDman18 on July 15th, 2015 at 10:35 pm said:

I may be in the minority here but I really hope they don’t overhaul the first one TOO much. I think all I’d want to see is a cleaned up framerate and some of the enemies tweaked a bit(they were REALLY bullet spongey in that first title…) but other than that I really just want to experience that game as close as possible to how it was originally and have an easy way to go from that first one to the newer ones.

+ Shalone on July 15th, 2015 at 11:25 pm said:

Having just seen this in motion from various sources.. I am very, very impressed to say the least.
I enjoyed the original games, and feel this might be the best way to play it.. I may actually finish Uncharted 1 now!
(For some reason, combat just seemed to slog on in UC1, the later games enemies were less bullet spongey but.. got 1 was annoying)

Also, I’m glad people are pointing out the BS Microsoft & Epic are spouting with “Gear of War Ultimate Edition.”
They are actually on record as saying the reason they only did Gears 1 was because they didn’t have the time or manpower to do the entire series. Which is just a crap excuse when you see releases like this, or their own MCC. All they really did was dump the resources into the new Unreal 4 engine, and optimized the assets and textures to run better.

Thank you for sharing this update with us!

+ Shalone on July 16th, 2015 at 12:06 am said:

AizawaYuuichi
    All I did was google it and posted the date found there.
    I didn’t even look to see what day it was…

+ AizawaYuuichi on July 16th, 2015 at 1:18 pm said:

@ Shalone: Don’t worry, it’s cool. October 7th is the European release date, so technically you’re not wrong. But this is the US Blog, so I posted the US date, and specified the day since most releases are on Tuesdays. Have a good one!

+ Shalone on July 16th, 2015 at 5:44 pm said:

@AizawaYuuichi
    I’m from the states myself, after you pointed it out I went to look and was confused to why it was a wednesday.

+ kmetek on July 15th, 2015 at 11:41 pm said:

when is this releasing?

+ Shalone on July 15th, 2015 at 11:44 pm said:

October 7, 2015

+ AizawaYuuichi on July 15th, 2015 at 11:55 pm said:

It’s actually October 9th, which is a Friday.

+ kmetek on July 15th, 2015 at 11:46 pm said:

thanks 3 months :(

+ Monterossa on July 16th, 2015 at 1:29 am said:

dat ass.

+ WilliamBKenney on July 16th, 2015 at 3:31 am said:

Make 7500 bucks every month… Start doing online computer-based work through our website. I have been working from home for 4 years now and I love it. I don’t have a boss standing over my shoulder and I make my own hours. The tips below are very informative and anyone currently workin­­g from home or planning to in the future could use this website…
⇨⇨⇨⇨⇨⇨⇨⇨⇨⇨ w­­­w­­w.­­E­­x­­t­­r­­a­­-­­i­­n­­c­­o­­m­­e­­9­­0­­­.­­­Com­­­

+ SpooNManX on July 20th, 2015 at 11:17 am said:

Moderators…. MODERATE this crap please.

PAGE 1 2