Spider-Man PS4

Aug 17

14877181686_6ff52dcc42_h (1)

Until Dawn: New Trailer Lets You Take Control

14877181686_6ff52dcc42_h (1)

Ken Chan's Avatar Posted by on Aug 17, 2015 // Product Manager, SCEA

I’m sure you’ve heard by now, but the choices you make in Until Dawn carry extreme and sometimes deadly consequences. You, the player, take on the role of eight teenagers and make snap decisions that will determine who survives.

As fans of the survival horror genre, we worked with MoFilm on a short series of live action films to illustrate the gravity of the decisions you’ll be forced to make in the game. In each of these films, equal attention was focused on the exact moment the characters are faced with a tough decision, as is on the potential outcomes they must weigh. For better or worse, every action has a different consequence. The two films will explore scenarios inspired by Until Dawn.

Part 1 of 2 in our mini-series is called “Choices,” and what better way to tell this story than by having the film be interactive! Without giving too much away, we set out to create a classic killer scenario that most of us have seen in other films with different outcomes. The main difference with ours is that your decision has a direct impact on the final outcome. Question is, what decisions will you make? And will you survive?

The interactive experience is only compatible on your desktop

From the “Choices” director, Torben:

“We took our inspiration from the many choices presented in the game and from its cinematic style. We want to give the viewer a feeling of what it’s like being caught up with a killer on the loose — having to make life threatening decisions on the run. Most people can relate to watching a horror and disapprove of the decisions made by the main protagonists. Now you can actually have a say in them — and carry full responsibility if the protagonist gets away or is killed in a brutal way…”

The second film takes on a darker, ominous twist on Robert Frost’s classic poem — “The Road Not Taken.” Head here to watch part two of the Mofilm series, being hosted by our partners at GameStop.

From the director of “The Road Not Taken,” Lloyd Choi:

“I’ve always been in love with games that you can’t play alone in the dark. The idea of creating an extended spin-off of the world around Until Dawn definitely excited me, and decided I wanted to try something a little different than the typical game trailer.

“Since Until Dawn is based around the concept of choice (and the tension around it), I immediately thought of Robert Frost’s poem “The Road Not Taken”, which I thought would create an interesting tone and backdrop paired with visceral and frightening images. The poem is often misinterpreted, and is really more complex than people think.

Until Dawn for PS4Until Dawn for PS4

“It’s really about how no matter which direction you choose, that’s the choice you make, leading to a life lived regardless of this road or the other road. And in hindsight, that will be the only way you know and you’ll look back on that decision to take this road as meaningful and important.

“But all roads are really the same. It’s not really an empowering poem of choosing your unique destiny that others haven’t taken; it’s meaning is more bleak and bittersweet. And I found that perfect for Until Dawn.”

Hopefully you’ll be at peace with the choices you make in Until Dawn when it launches on August 25th!

For more info on Until Dawn, head over to the official site for more.

26 Comments

+ hawjboi2009 on August 17th, 2015 at 6:09 am said:

hi Ken, i am very excited to play this game next week at midnight on Monday night because i already pre-order it from PSN Store so how many gb does this game take to download/install ?

+ ChronoBreak777 on August 17th, 2015 at 6:17 am said:

Great trailer! I can’t wait for the 25th!

+ Andrewww76 on August 17th, 2015 at 6:34 am said:

I wish I pre-ordered when the game was still at 60$… :(

+ Kurting77 on August 17th, 2015 at 7:32 am said:

Wait, you mean it’s now over $60? How much does it cost now?

+ hawjboi2009 on August 17th, 2015 at 8:15 am said:

hahah you funny.. this game is 10 to 15 hours per playthrough but it has great replay value for more endings to watch and enjoying understand branching stories.. this game has over hundreds of ending and thousand choices. The Order 1886 is 60 dollars with 6 hours to complete story mode is ridicilous

+ Andrewww76 on August 17th, 2015 at 8:20 am said:

I hear you hawjboi2009, but still… 2 months ago the game was 60$ and now we need to spend 75$. It would have been less frustrating if it had always been 75$.

+ Kchow23 on August 17th, 2015 at 8:21 am said:

He is from Canada :)

+ Kchow23 on August 17th, 2015 at 7:57 am said:

I hope this game can scratch my Heavy Rain itch ;)

+ hawjboi2009 on August 17th, 2015 at 9:55 am said:

ohhhhhhhh ok i see he live in canada.. that suck for people who pay more than 60

+ Kchow23 on August 17th, 2015 at 8:27 am said:

Is the bonus chapter only for PSN preorders?

+ bleedingwicked on August 17th, 2015 at 8:57 am said:

I received the bonus chapter from preordering at Best Buy. Also if you sign up for Gamers Unlocked, you’ll get 20% off all games. I preordered for $48.

+ hawjboi2009 on August 17th, 2015 at 9:56 am said:

yes i checked it in psn store.. it has bonus chapter

+ hawjboi2009 on August 17th, 2015 at 10:00 am said:

physical copy also have bonus chapter from gamestop website

here is details :

Pre-order Until Dawn and receive the Until Dawn Bonus Chapter!
    In this Until Dawn Bonus Chapter Matt and Emily, a new couple, are out on the cold and snowy mountain path, and it’s not long before they realize that they are not alone. Only your choices determine who will survive…
    *While Supplies Last.
    Online Customers: Code will be emailed within 2 business days after your order ships.
    Store / In-Store Pickup Customers: Code will be printed on your receipt at time of purchase.

+ Stonesthrow on August 17th, 2015 at 9:08 am said:

You guys finally get to show off the game in its final phases and you go for a live action trailer? Major facepalm.. I’ve been waiting to see how the game turned out on a technical level but you’ve shown very little gameplay in general and when you do actually release a trailer, it’s live action, which only shows off the concept (that we all know by now) and none of the actual game. It’s not exactly encouraging.. Not to mention releasing so close to MGSV. Makes me wonder whether I should cancel my pre-order and wait for a pricecut, as I imagine most people will do..

+ Welmosca on August 17th, 2015 at 12:23 pm said:

Well said.

+ al2009man on August 17th, 2015 at 4:07 pm said:

b-but da spoilars?!

+ Dark_Duck_422 on August 17th, 2015 at 7:45 pm said:

Where have you been the past year? There’s a ton of long gameplay videos…

+ whereymyconary on August 17th, 2015 at 9:37 am said:

If you use the thing called Google and look for “Until Dawn gameplay e3” you’ll find a ton of footage. People all over have been up loading parts of the first section since the embargo was lifted in July.

That said everything I’ve watched looks awesome and I’m very excited. Have it preordered from amazon. Just need to wait for my mail to come on my day off.

Ps I really hope this game is getting more promotion I can say I haven’t seen anything at best buy unless I dig for it there.

+ Stonesthrow on August 17th, 2015 at 11:28 am said:

Ok, I’ll try to find some footage but I usually prefer something a little more constructed like trailers or developer videos as to avoid spoilers etc.. Your last sentence says it as well, I haven’t seen a lot of promotion out here either, or even much (game)trailers or anything of the kind. I check the EU blog daily and have seen very little on this game.. I’m not too big on overly promoting, but its existence and progress should atleast be made aware of to the general gamer, especially considering it’s a new IP :p
    The only things going for me now is that it’s an exclusive (which are usually great in terms of polish etc.), cinematic experience in the likes of Quantic Dream and Telltale games (which I really love), for which they’ve procured some well known actors, and just wanting to support PS exclusives and games of this genre.

+ ProdijusX on August 17th, 2015 at 10:17 am said:

Its Sega CD all over again.

+ bray4ever8 on August 17th, 2015 at 11:16 am said:

I probably pick this up in October a week or so before Halloween. MGSV has my complete attention.

+ Ind3structoman on August 17th, 2015 at 3:24 pm said:

Couldn’t agree more. Playing this game around Halloween should be a blast!

+ Welmosca on August 17th, 2015 at 12:29 pm said:

Game has got ma attention some months ago,got a Heavy Rain vibe from it so I will be buying it for sure not at launch but I will get it in the future.And that bonus chapter better be available on the Store later.
BTW Sony how about giving more attention to Until Dawn which well…is your game than to Destiny hu?….a lot of people don’t even know about Until Dawn while its impossible to see PS and not see Destiny close to it….a damn shame.

+ Tomoprime on August 17th, 2015 at 12:30 pm said:

So it looks more like QTE / choose your own adventure game? How much of the character control is actual realtime?

+ NickMulder on August 17th, 2015 at 6:30 pm said:

OMG I CAN’T WAIT TO BUY THIS GAME NEXT WEEK!!!!!!!!!!

+ gmac44 on August 19th, 2015 at 7:15 am said:

I’m pretty interested in this game, but not sure if I’m going to buy it day one or not. May pick it up later in the year, too many good games coming out this Fall!!