Days Gone

Sep 10

PS1

Poll: Vote For the Best PlayStation Game of All Time

Sid Shuman's Avatar Posted by on Sep 10, 2015 // Senior Manager, Social Media, SIEA

PlayStation

Update: We’ve counted your votes! And the winners are…

Metal Gear Solid Final Fantasy VII Crash Bandicoot Crash Bandicoot: Warped

This week, we celebrated the 20th anniversary PlayStation’s launch in North America. Now, it’s your turn. Tell us — what’s the best original PlayStation game of all time? Cast your vote(s) below by next Tuesday, September 15th at midnight Pacific Time.

See below for a starter list of games, but note: you can submit two votes, and you can write in an answer if you don’t see it in the list below.

We’ll reveal the official winners next week. Now go forth, and make the hardest decision of your life!

20th Anniversary DualShock 4 20th Anniversary Wireless Headset
20th Anniversary DualShock 4
PlayStation.com
20th Anniversary Wireless Headset
PlayStation.com

PAGE 1 2 3 9

+ HitmanRebornEX on September 10th, 2015 at 7:22 pm said:

The Legend of Dragoon was freaking amazing Sony, I really want to see a sequel on ps4 =D.

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on September 17th, 2015 at 10:30 am said:

Updating winners soon!

+ FlyingPandaz on September 10th, 2015 at 8:10 pm said:

i agree! it was a great game they should HD remaster it and make a sequel! :D

+ KazeEternal on September 10th, 2015 at 8:26 pm said:

Most amazing Mediocre RPG EVA! Funny how many of Sony’s IPs are dormant now, it’s like the Nintendo Library at this point.

+ King_Cobra_3 on September 10th, 2015 at 8:37 pm said:

I agree, they should make a sequel.The Legend of Dragoon was one of my favorites but Final Fantasy 7 deserves to be the best ps1 game of all time.

+ NightShadow6996 on September 10th, 2015 at 11:33 pm said:

I bet that game so many times I remember every thing.. The legend of Dragoon was my favorite game of all time. I wish the make another one on the ps4. ♡♡♡♡♡

+ drpepperdude100 on September 11th, 2015 at 1:58 am said:

I’m still pissed that they teased The Legend of Dragoon right before PlayStation Experience in a YouTube video and then never said anything about it. But I agree it is definitely amazing.

+ timpethick on September 11th, 2015 at 10:57 am said:

Ahh so good! Most under rated game out there.

+ ClawOfTheFallen on September 11th, 2015 at 6:37 pm said:

Legend of Dragoon is one of my favorite RPGs.
    Funny thing is that regarding Playstation exclusive RPGs is that they have heavy japanese Tokusatsu elements like transforming heroes with flashy sequences and moves.
    Legend of the Dragoon, White Knight Chronicles and White Knight Chronicles Origins (on PSP) had Henshin, Sentai and Kaiju elements.
    Lil’ cultural influence detail about the games that I loved.

+ Soullkast on September 12th, 2015 at 6:33 am said:

totally agree. I hope one day they will announce a new project of legend of dragoon on ps4

+ CommandingTiger on September 12th, 2015 at 11:27 am said:

Yes!!!!! The Legend of Dragoon was one of the best games ever made.
    The more discs, the better. I would love to have an HD remake.
    Many YouTubers love the game with a passion.
    Shu, you worked on the game, you are in command of PlayStation. Make it happen. :)
    It’ll outsell every other games out there and be a phenomenon with the right marketing.

+ NinjaKittyJen on September 12th, 2015 at 11:45 am said:

Omg! Favorite game of all time!!! Still play the old one about once a year on my PS2…amazing the thing still works. Dispite the older graphics I love love love love this game! Would spend a pretty penny for a sequel or remake!!!! #SonyMakeANewLegendOfDragoon

+ lavantz345 on September 12th, 2015 at 12:17 pm said:

Legend of dragoon, greatest ps1 game ever! – On a side note their is a Legend of dragoon 2 petition on Facebook if anybody is interested. Gives some momentum!

+ pallypower1963 on September 12th, 2015 at 12:51 pm said:

We want Legend of Dragoons sequel!

+ WesBaya on September 12th, 2015 at 4:51 pm said:

Agreed. A remaster and sequel needed!

+ ff7d on September 12th, 2015 at 6:23 pm said:

Legend of Dragoon really was a great Adventure. Let’s all hope SONY is listening and makes a sequel!
    #LetMeBeADragoon

+ benkelsey on September 13th, 2015 at 5:06 am said:

Can I get an Amen!

+ BraLoD on September 13th, 2015 at 2:55 pm said:

The Legend of Dragoon is my all-time favorite game.
    Sure hope that rumored AAA Japan Studio JRPG is related to LoD, be it a remake, sequel or prequel.

Can’t wait for TGS, and I’m still believing Sony, bring me some LoD!

+ Cloudypig on September 13th, 2015 at 5:06 pm said:

Yes I couldn’t agree more

+ Aya-PLN on September 14th, 2015 at 9:49 am said:

Me too or at least an EU PSN Release.

+ webekyle on September 14th, 2015 at 4:07 pm said:

YES ME TOO!

+ king_milkshake on September 18th, 2015 at 11:39 am said:

agreed! make it happen Sony!

+ Kevin_David_Sosa on September 18th, 2015 at 4:48 pm said:

yeah man best game ever , Legend of Dragoon

+ RealShadowtiger on September 18th, 2015 at 8:41 pm said:

Agree with that and Chrono Cross Xenogears Valkyrie Profile

+ Ganfrauss on September 10th, 2015 at 7:22 pm said:

I know everyone will vote for their favorite and all fun games, but seriously, Valkyrie Profile is a timeless masterpiece of gaming as a medium right alongside ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, Portal, The Last of US, Final Fantasy 6 and so on.

If I had to recommend an PS1 game to Roger Ebert to show him that video games can be a high art, Valkyrie Profile would be it.

+ Gwenwyfar on September 10th, 2015 at 8:39 pm said:

Agreed.

+ mandasue84 on September 11th, 2015 at 5:29 am said:

Absolutely, wholeheartedly, 527% agree. Valkyrie Profile is the masterpiece we all need remastered for the PS4. It was an incredibly epic saga.

+ Max_Glycine on September 11th, 2015 at 3:12 pm said:

Problem is Valkyrie Profile had such a limited print that not many people have played it. A copy nowadays goes for $300 so it’s still hard to get a hold of.

+ Ganfrauss on September 11th, 2015 at 7:31 pm said:

Yeah, the print was an issue and the game is not available at the PSN Store. I’m guessing it’s a Square-Enix issue as many games from PS1 and PSP games from Square are not available at the store.

That’s why I wish it could win this contest, then we could maybe finally get a PSN port :P

+ ajayghosal on September 10th, 2015 at 7:22 pm said:

Always will be resident evil 2 for me

+ brandonrocksatga on September 10th, 2015 at 7:23 pm said:

Old memories

+ CommandingTiger on September 12th, 2015 at 11:31 am said:

The Final Fantasy on PS1 are the best of the series.
    Final Fantasy VIII was graphically advanced for it’s time and it’s the best one in the series.

+ cristian_h_r on September 10th, 2015 at 7:24 pm said:

Well, I didn’t want to sleep tonight anyway. I’m gonna spend all of the night deciding.

+ anbu316 on September 10th, 2015 at 7:28 pm said:

Suikoden II all the way

+ Salthammer on September 11th, 2015 at 1:53 am said:

Word!

+ mfiar on September 12th, 2015 at 5:51 am said:

agree..i love it a lot more than legend of dragoon

+ POEIII on September 12th, 2015 at 6:55 pm said:

Suikoden II! I didn’t even have to think about the question.

+ Mercenary09 on September 10th, 2015 at 7:30 pm said:

Metal Gear Solid easily for me. Nothing else like it at the time and it was the game that really led to every other game taking a cinematic approach.

+ oo7PorscheMGS on September 11th, 2015 at 5:58 pm said:

y u p .

The only game series to not only invent + change the stealth action genre, but to also care about cinematic quality, great voice acting + writing, great iconic bosses, breaking the 4th wall, having comedic touches throughout, and most importantly sending a message about war / life / culture… how the environment and/or genes shape you, how nuclear weapons are an issue we shouldn’t forget about (look at Iran, we still need to talk+worry about this topic today in real life…).

Simply put, MGS has it all. No other game can really claim that.

+ ALX_0m3g4_23 on September 10th, 2015 at 7:32 pm said:

Crash 3 and Metal Gear Solid received my vote.

+ GoldsRaven257 on September 10th, 2015 at 7:32 pm said:

I would be a fool if I didn’t say uncharted 2

+ Akmaljon on September 10th, 2015 at 7:42 pm said:

Agree! all series are nice

+ jgr9 on September 10th, 2015 at 8:12 pm said:

Not a PS1 game…

+ GoldsRaven257 on September 10th, 2015 at 8:44 pm said:

+jgr9 it says all time

+ GoldsRaven257 on September 10th, 2015 at 8:55 pm said:

And original

+ smoothboarder540 on September 11th, 2015 at 3:42 am said:

It’s clear from the context that they mean PS1. The title sounds better without “original” in the title. Also, the PS1 was known just as the Playstation.

+ XxBeedeexD on September 12th, 2015 at 8:31 pm said:

They mean the original Playstation. Please read before you vote and comment.

+ REDSLATE on September 13th, 2015 at 8:42 am said:

No, you ARE a fool FOR saying Uncharted. The pole’s limited to the original PlayStation.

+ Mistic0690 on September 10th, 2015 at 7:33 pm said:

Kings field!

+ GooieGreen on September 11th, 2015 at 11:21 am said:

And I’ve already cast my vote >,<

+ Blu3bombr on September 10th, 2015 at 7:37 pm said:

Mega man legends FTW

+ da1writer on September 16th, 2015 at 7:09 am said:

Heck yeah, Megaman Legends 1 and 2 definitely!

+ swimquick on September 10th, 2015 at 7:37 pm said:

It has Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex, but that’s a multiplatform game from the PS2 era.

+ supersonic56 on September 10th, 2015 at 7:40 pm said:

Yeah, The Wrath of Cortex is a PS2 game that wasn’t ever released on PS1.

Also, Spyro 1 is missing, despite the fact 2 and 3 are there.
    and Tomba 1 is missing, despite the fact 2 is there.

+ jgoncalvex on September 12th, 2015 at 9:41 am said:

+ supersonic56 No is there, Spyro the Dragon.

+ langdon on September 10th, 2015 at 7:38 pm said:

Chrono Cross + Gran Turismo 2… hard choosing which Gran Turismo title… Neither of them probably have a chance for that reason alone.

+ GGGGit on September 11th, 2015 at 9:12 am said:

Gt changed the game for what a driving Sim could be. Ive owned and enjoyed every one.

+ Mori-DogMovies on September 10th, 2015 at 7:42 pm said:

Silent Hill for me.
Sure, Resident Evil lead the way for all “survival horror” games to follow, but SH really took it to another level with atmosphere, sound effects, and story. It’s also probably the first game I played through the demo 3 or 4 times before it came out (way back with Official US Playstation Magazine #16…damn I’m getting old). Such a fantastic beginning to a great series.

+ Akmaljon on September 10th, 2015 at 7:42 pm said:

Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception. Uncharted series if possible. all 3 is awesome. Most repelling is protagonist Drake’s personality. thats what makes it so perfect.

+ Mercenary09 on September 10th, 2015 at 7:52 pm said:

This is asking what is your favorite PlayStation game as in the first PlayStation. Looks like your vote won’t be counted if you wrote in Uncharted.

+ jgr9 on September 10th, 2015 at 8:13 pm said:

Uncharted is not a PS1 game.

+ Seidnerz_is_WINS on September 12th, 2015 at 2:19 pm said:

Repelling? As in the main character of your favorite series dissuades you from playing the game? Did you mean “compelling?”

+ paulogy on September 10th, 2015 at 7:44 pm said:

So many great memories with Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill, Tekken 3, Twisted Metal 2, Bushido Blade, Puzzle Fighter… decisions, decisions! :-D

+ lanmao on September 10th, 2015 at 7:50 pm said:

The ps1 had so many great games! How can you ask me to choose? I could easily pick 20 games from this list and make an argument for them being the best!

+ Cat_Corye on September 10th, 2015 at 7:50 pm said:

Bloody Roar 2, because I miss that game. But there was so many others I wanted to pick.

+ I-_TyRaNT_-I on September 10th, 2015 at 7:51 pm said:

Resident Evil 2 & 3 Hype!! :D

+ Arn_1 on September 10th, 2015 at 7:52 pm said:

Final Fantasy 7.

+ presence80 on September 10th, 2015 at 7:53 pm said:

Without looking at the comments above, I voted FF7.

+ DIE_JCL on September 10th, 2015 at 7:54 pm said:

Resident Evil 2. A close second would be Shadow of The Colossus.

+ airJordan_Xx on September 10th, 2015 at 8:01 pm said:

Why isn’t socom or uncharted games on the list:(

+ jgr9 on September 10th, 2015 at 8:13 pm said:

Because Uncharted isn’t a PS1 game.

+ DJHaole on September 10th, 2015 at 10:42 pm said:

Neither is Warhawk

+ DJHaole on September 10th, 2015 at 10:43 pm said:

NM I forgot there was a PS1 version

+ Welmosca on September 10th, 2015 at 10:56 pm said:

@ DJHaole – What are you on about?…the guy didn’t even mentioned Warhawk.
    @ airJordan_Xx – Socom started on the PS2…thats why it ain’t on the list.

+ GooieGreen on September 11th, 2015 at 11:21 am said:

Actually, Warhawk IS a PS1 title… but yeah, OP didn’t mention it :P

+ Catch-u-SlipN on September 11th, 2015 at 5:10 pm said:

Haha I feel you man! When I 1st entered this post I was looking for Socom. I got upset when I didn’t see it. I went back and read the post again and then realized the were speaking for the “Original Playstation”. Metal Gear Solid and the very 1st 3rd person view Grand Theft Auto got my vote.

+ God-Of-Lyf on September 10th, 2015 at 8:01 pm said:

I had to go with the first game I ever bought for the PS1 Metal Gear Solid, and the very first RPG game I ever played FF VIII To me those two games meant the world to me back then and still hold a very special spot in my heart when it comes to Playstation. I played FF VIII so much that my system would overheat and lockup to where I had to turn the system up on it’s side just to continue playing :)

+ Ed333829 on September 11th, 2015 at 8:22 am said:

Oh the memories. Metal gear and final fantasy 8 were my two first games as well. Spent so much time playing these two games and loved them.

+ El-_-Rok3riito on September 10th, 2015 at 8:03 pm said:

Monster Rancher 2 not such a famous ps game but for me one of the best ps game I’ve played

+ Tubular1845 on September 18th, 2015 at 4:18 pm said:

I voted to Monster Rancher 2 :(

+ udontneed2know26 on September 10th, 2015 at 8:06 pm said:

IMPOSSIBLE!

+ jgoncalvex on September 12th, 2015 at 9:42 am said:

I agree totally!

+ SpyderDarksider on September 14th, 2015 at 12:46 pm said:

Agreed. ONLY 2 votes? Nope. Can’t do it. I won’t vote. There’s too many good ones. THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE!

+ udontneed2know26 on September 10th, 2015 at 8:09 pm said:

I had to go with Twisted Metal 2 though.

Game just blew me away in every possible way. I played that for years.

+ PolarDad on September 10th, 2015 at 8:09 pm said:

The opening scene from Medal of Honor left me breathless like few games ever have since. Storming the beach was heart-pounding action that made me feel like I was running for my life. It’s a shame to see the downward spiral this series took over the years.

+ Welmosca on September 10th, 2015 at 10:57 pm said:

Couldn’t agree more.

+ JosephBelgier on September 11th, 2015 at 8:14 am said:

You’re talking about Frontline for the PS2 though, whereas this poll is about PS1 titles.

+ Wompdevil on September 10th, 2015 at 8:12 pm said:

This was extremely hard… ended up voting for Metal Gear Solid which blew my mind away with what a video game could do at the time by offering such an immersive and cinematic experience and Suikoden II which was the first video game to have me feel such a huge range of emotions. Wanted to at least give a shot out to Resident Evil 2, Castlevania Symphony of the Night and Final Fantasy VII! And even then so many other great choices on that list!

+ RoguePKK on September 10th, 2015 at 8:12 pm said:

breath of fire 4 !! :D i really hope there will be new series on ps4

+ Sion413 on September 10th, 2015 at 8:13 pm said:

Torn between RE2 and MGS but RE2 wins for me

+ sw5864 on September 10th, 2015 at 8:14 pm said:

WHERE THE HELL IS SPYRO 1????

+ wom1234 on September 11th, 2015 at 7:23 am said:

Dude, Spyro The Dragon is Spyro 1! lol It’s on the list.

+ wom1234 on September 11th, 2015 at 7:23 am said:

Dude, Spyro The Dragon is Spyro 1! lol It’s on the list.
    It’s also my favorite, same as the others.

+ Nevi901 on September 10th, 2015 at 8:16 pm said:

Hardest decision? Duh! It’s Crash & Spyro! What else could it be?!

+ Rogueblade97 on September 10th, 2015 at 8:24 pm said:

No kidding, those games were pretty much my entire childhood!

+ DismantleRepair on September 10th, 2015 at 8:34 pm said:

So close to picking those myself.

+ smoothboarder540 on September 11th, 2015 at 3:45 am said:

You’re definitely right. Although I would pick Crash Warped over the other two.

+ Seeing_Red_Again on September 10th, 2015 at 8:19 pm said:

MediEvil! That game is still magical to me! The music, the art style, the world and the awesome protagonist Sir Dan! The best Halloween game ever, I need a new MediEvil on PS4!

+ SHOCKW4VExX on September 10th, 2015 at 8:42 pm said:

agreed!!

+ Blkant on September 11th, 2015 at 2:26 am said:

This! We seriously need Medievil back on PS4.

+ remanutd5 on September 11th, 2015 at 5:18 am said:

Great to see MediEvil fans here! I love the series and yes, i agree we need a new MediEvil on the ps4.

+ DigitalZips on September 10th, 2015 at 8:20 pm said:

Limiting me to just two votes is incredibly cruel, Sony! So many of these games helped to define my childhood. There are easily over 25 games on that list that are neck in neck in my book.

+ Feisar on September 10th, 2015 at 8:21 pm said:

Wipeout XL won’t get even a tenth of the love it deserves here. Criminally under appreciated game.

I remember playing that game right around when N64 came out. It made the PlayStation sing in a time where it could have been seen as underpowered. The soundtrack in that game must be the first and among best use of real licensed music in a videogame.

It is INSANE that it isn’t among the PSOne classics you can buy today.. And I’m sure it’s because of the music licensing. But that is NO excuse. At the time, this series of games was a huge part of what made PlayStation “cool”. It deserves to be available now.

Bring out XL as a classic. Make a PS4 Wipeout that deserves to be made.

+ mtns_beyond_mtns on September 11th, 2015 at 5:17 am said:

Completely agree. I voted for this classic as well. The fact that you can’t download it as a PSOne classic is surprising (glad I still have my disc).

The design language is still fresh and futuristic, the soundtrack is insane and the game is still challenging and has aged extremely well despite years of AG racing games since. Let us all bow our heads together to mourn the loss of Psygnosis / Studio Liverpool.

+ StygianAgenda on October 5th, 2015 at 11:44 am said:

I’ll absolutely second Feisar’s mention of Wipeout XL, which is among my favorite games of all time, much less on the PSX/PS1.
    I’ve often wondered about that, Feisar… the music… I noticed that XL on PS1 had the best soundtrack, compared to the PC release, which was mostly music by “Cold Storage”, who at the time, was Psygnosis’ inhouse music talent (if I remember correctly, anyway… it’s been a minute).

But yeah, I’d love to see the entire Wipeout series resurrected for release on PS4, along with the Colony Wars series, particularly Red Sun, which I thought was the best from that series because it played alot like Freespace (PC), but was more merc-oriented in mission-style.

+ Hatchetforce on September 10th, 2015 at 8:22 pm said:

Syphon Filter isn’t considered an original PlayStation game? How could it not be on the list when it is the best of the 3. Thanks for putting MediEvil and Fear Effect on the list. Two series that are long overdue for sequels.

+ Hatchetforce on September 12th, 2015 at 12:55 pm said:

Thanks for fixing the list and adding Syphon Filter but since it was missing for a couple of days I am not sure how fair the results will be.

+ koalix on September 10th, 2015 at 8:25 pm said:

Missed Legend of Legaia on the list, wonderful and underrated game

+ DismantleRepair on September 10th, 2015 at 8:33 pm said:

Ahh!! So many greats. But had to go with MGS followed by FF7. Long live PlayStation

+ Subsided_Assasin on September 10th, 2015 at 8:40 pm said:

THE LEGEND OF DRAGOON!! Make another already Sony!!!
Also voted for FF7

+ SpookyYou on September 13th, 2015 at 7:33 am said:

I voted for FF7 and chrono cross. But man… a new Legend of the Dragoon game would be awesome.

+ SHOCKW4VExX on September 10th, 2015 at 8:40 pm said:

Its tough to pick just 2, but i voted for RE 2 and Tomb Raider. I had a hard time not picking Gran Turismo, GTA, Soul Reaver, Syphon Filter or Crash Bandicoot. so many great games!!

+ brookeisthebomb on September 10th, 2015 at 8:47 pm said:

Ape Escape is my favorite game of all time and will always remain dear to my heart, so this poll was a no-brainer for me. However, the other choices definitely deserve recognition as well. This system had so many legendary games that will never be forgotten. :)

+ Tinye310 on September 10th, 2015 at 8:47 pm said:

Final Fantasy Tactics! easy choice. Legend of Dragoon 2nd, I’m surprised I picked that over FF7 but that story really touched me when I was younger.

+ yentair on September 11th, 2015 at 9:31 am said:

Final Fantasy Tactics for me too. Not just my favorite PS1 game, but my favorite game of all time, period.
    Plenty of other great games on this list, but nothing compares. I didn’t even bother voting for a 2nd game.

+ Likealokey on September 10th, 2015 at 8:50 pm said:

It was hard decision to make but I will go for Klonoa & Rayman 2
I love storytelling with puzzle platforming games

+ PuNksterHD on September 10th, 2015 at 8:50 pm said:

Cool Boarders 3, Fighting Force, Evil Zone and Playstation Doom.

+ GoPens35 on September 10th, 2015 at 8:51 pm said:

Castlevania SOTN best action game on the Ps1 and possibly the best RPG as well.

+ ClovePsyKoz on September 10th, 2015 at 8:53 pm said:

Legend of Dragoon and Metal Gear Solid. Those games make me cherish my childhood ^_^

+ AznShadowrunner on September 10th, 2015 at 8:58 pm said:

Bust a Groove and PaRappa the Rapper. So many endless nights playing those two specific games. Timeless.

+ cmdluke on September 10th, 2015 at 9:05 pm said:

Tough choice, but I had to go with Resodent Evil and FFVII. Wanted to put SotN, but I just like the other 2 better.

+ Frigaku on September 10th, 2015 at 9:07 pm said:

MGS for me. I hope you give the best game for free and discount all the other haha, oh, and add Breath of Fire 3 and ps1 compatibility on ps4 please.

+ RendangSapi2 on September 10th, 2015 at 9:45 pm said:

Agreed for MGS, BOF 3 and PS1 (and PS2) compatibility on PS4.

I already got MGS 1 and BoF 4 though, but where’s BoF 3? It’s one of the best BoF i ever played and my BoF digital collection will not complete without it.

PAGE 1 2 3 9