Uncharted 4

Oct 02

21833590411_e3ea484cb8_z

Primal Carnage: Extinction Comes to PS4 on October 20th

21833590411_e3ea484cb8_z

Adam Creighton's Avatar Posted by on Oct 02, 2015 // Director of Development, Panic Button

Heya, PlayStation folks. My name is Adam from Austin-based independent studio Panic Button.

In celebration of International Dinosaur Month (it’s really a thing), we’re bringing Circle 5 Studio’s dino-versus-people, first-person frag fest Primal Carnage: Extinction to PS4 on October 20th!

In a nutshell, Primal Carnage: Extinction is a class-based biter/shooter in which you play as your favorite dinosaur or mercenary to bite/claw/douse-with-poisonous-spit members of the opposing team in a variety of gameplay types.

The game is no-frills, jump-in-and-have-fun PS4 multiplayer mayhem with up to 16 players in player-hosted online and offline (single-screen LAN) modes. It makes great use of DualShock 4 and even has a custom control scheme for PS Vita Remote Play.

1. Team Deathmatch — (un)Traditional dino-versus-human team-based multiplayer in unique battle arenas.
  2. Get to the Chopper — Control key parts of the map in this objective-based game mode, ultimately unlocking the escape helicopter and the Tyrant dinosaur that will try to stop it.
  3. Survival — Play solo or co-op through wave after wave of AI dinos.
  4. Free Roam — For those who want to strut their dino-might without the pressure of timers or kill counts.

Primal Carnage: Extinction

Playing as dinosaurs, spit, pounce, chomp, and tail-swing your way to the top of the food chain. Not exactly your typical FPS.

1. Dilophosaurus — Ambush and blind your enemies from a distance or put your poisonous fangs to use, which will blind and slow the bipedal meat sacks.
  2. Novaraptor — Fast and scary is your namesake. Mercilessly slash your enemies or pounce and maul them into the ground. Watch out for the counterattack, though!
  3. Pteranodon — Reconnoiter from the sky and hone your swoop-down-and-carry-off skills or practice juggling your prey with a Pteranodon friend.
  4. Carnotaurus — You’re a two-legged cross between a bull and a T-Rex that charges your victims to death and can also heal by taking a bite out of them.
  5. Tyrannosaurus Rex — As the King of Lizards, be a high-health fearsome tank of an adversary.

Primal Carnage: Extinction

As far as the human team, use weapons unique among first-person shooters to tranq, net, snipe, shoot, flame, or rocket your way to homo sapien superiority.

1. The Scientist — Snipe from afar, or slow down opponents with your unique-to-class tranquilizers, but don’t let the beasts get in your personal space (You can say goodbye if they do).
  2. The Commando— On the other end of the spectrum, humble those legendary beasts with your assault rifle or rocket launcher. Remember you may be strong, but you’re not quick. Good thing you can take a beating.
  3. The Pathfinder — Get up close and personal with your powerful short-ranged shotgun and leverage your agility to reload without getting eaten.
  4. The Trapper — Net smaller dinos and lock the jaws of the larger ones to make them more susceptible to damage — a great tactic to slow them down for your team mates.
  5. The Pyro — Because fire.

Whether you’re comfy in your human skin or dinoLARPing is more your thing (we don’t judge), we hope you enjoy this modified take on the class-based first-person shooter genre.

Happy International (First-Person-Shooter) Dinosaur Month!

52 Comments

+ FearMonkey on October 2nd, 2015 at 8:16 am said:

I don’t see any feathers on the raptors or T-Rex. Also a Pteranodon’s feet weren’t designed to carry anything. They lifted things with their beaks like pelicans.

Jurassic World got all this stuff wrong too.

Game looks fun though. :p

+ jchill001 on October 2nd, 2015 at 8:44 am said:

technically in jurassic world/park they weren’t dinosaurs, they were scientifically engineered animals made to look like dinosaurs, and it was stated in the world that if the scientists didn’t use amphibian dna the animals would look different, so if they had used bird dna then the animals would probably have feathers

+ FearMonkey on October 2nd, 2015 at 9:01 am said:

@jchill001 – that was lazy writing on their part to give a reason why they didn’t update 25-year-old science so the director could make a movie based on his fanboy nostalgia of the original movie. It doesn’t make sense in the movie world either because they said they did it to make the dinosaurs what people expected them to look like. Well 20 years after Jurassic World opened I’m pretty sure the people who would go to a dinosaur park would want to see real dinosaurs, especially the kid who knows everything about them yet never says anything about real dinosaurs even though he should.

Amphibian DNA also doesn’t explain why a Pteranodon’s 65 million year old instincts would change and make them want to lift their prey with their feet. :p

Also, technically, Pterosaurs like Pteranodon weren’t dinosaurs, but I don’t have a problem with them being in the Jurassic World movie or the Primal Carnage game. One of my favorite prehistoric animals after all. :)

+ YoruAzeniaSIC on October 2nd, 2015 at 1:37 pm said:

eh yeah it’s not accurate science but whatever even the original Jurassic Park was scientifically accurate for it’s time but thats what is great about science fiction is that we can have some fun with science XD Regardless I see your point and your not wrong I just don’t let it bother me and it didn’t effect my enjoyment of Jurassic World and I’m sure it won’t effect my enjoyment of this game XD Just felt like tossing in my 2 cents :)

+ YoruAzeniaSIC on October 2nd, 2015 at 1:39 pm said:

*meant to say Jurassic Park was scientifically inaccurate for its time but my spell correct screwed it up sorry lol

+ Throwsfeces on October 2nd, 2015 at 4:38 pm said:

Oh. My. God. Who the hell cares, ain’t none of y’all know what a dinosaur really looks like. This game however, looks fun.

+ jimmy50st on October 4th, 2015 at 12:09 am said:

It’s fun

+ tusunami on October 2nd, 2015 at 8:25 am said:

I think This would be something I can get into. A much different type of shooter than what I am accustomed to.

+ fudgenasty21 on October 2nd, 2015 at 8:41 am said:

2 questions adam. how much will it cost and will i need ps plus? also the sound in the video won’t work

+ NectarWombat on October 2nd, 2015 at 10:27 pm said:

Sorry the sound isn’t working for you!

We’ll be announcing a price soon, and you will need PS Plus for the online multiplayer (but not for the single-screen LAN mode).

+ EdReedFan20 on October 2nd, 2015 at 9:27 am said:

Oh, that’s pretty smart. This is releasing the same day Jurassic World releases on Blu-Ray! Dinos!

+ Throwsfeces on October 2nd, 2015 at 4:38 pm said:

Oooh, cool.

+ punkmusic2009 on October 2nd, 2015 at 9:35 am said:

fudge its a free to play game free to play but you can buy pruim packs and items for the game ive been playing since they where in beta on pc now its on staem and facebook for free and beta time preuim was free to earn when you complete the quest objest now you have to buy them it would not make seince sony to charge you for a free pc game

+ SneakyWhite on October 2nd, 2015 at 10:36 am said:

Free-To-Play? It’s $20 on Steam as of right now. I don’t think it will be free unless you’re thinking of that other free Dinosaur hunting game on Steam? Everyone should expect $20 unless it really is Free and I am dumb or something lol. Sorry if I am mistaken!

+ NectarWombat on October 2nd, 2015 at 10:15 pm said:

This isn’t a free-to-play or freemium game – It’s a purchase-to-own title for PS4, and the price will be posted soon.

+ JMBlakk on October 2nd, 2015 at 11:25 am said:

WOW THIS IS STILL COMING OUT!!!!!!

+ TruePSIVWiiUFan on October 2nd, 2015 at 12:45 pm said:

So, this game is mainly multiplayer game…? No single player campaigns…???

+ YolaakKrosisDrun on October 2nd, 2015 at 3:07 pm said:

Yes, this is multiplayer only.

+ NectarWombat on October 2nd, 2015 at 10:11 pm said:

Yes, the game is designed to be basically multiplayer only (online and single-screen LAN).

There is a Survival mode that pits you against waves of dinos, and you can play that solo, if you want (and there are Trophies available from the mode).

+ Kevin_David_Sosa on October 2nd, 2015 at 4:51 pm said:

Any Split Screen please respond

+ NectarWombat on October 2nd, 2015 at 10:22 pm said:

Sorry, Kevin – No split-screen for PC:E. We looked at it pretty seriously, but it just wasn’t an option in the time we had for this game.

+ Welmosca on October 3rd, 2015 at 12:49 am said:

Hoou thought this game was cancelled,remember seeing it announced even before PS4 was released if I’m not wrong.Anyway glad to see it being released…shame its online-only but looks ok and the survival mode got me pretty interested.

No chance of a demo?…at least for the survival mode?

+ G-Force08 on October 3rd, 2015 at 8:47 am said:

I believe it was Primal Carnage: Genesis that was cancelled (or at least put on an indefinite hold) and instead they decided to port over Extinction.

+ jimmy50st on October 4th, 2015 at 12:09 am said:

Yes there’s a survival mode with dinos
    And no demo sorry

+ bobbyfabiani on October 3rd, 2015 at 1:27 am said:

Hello everyone, do you love dinosaurs? Have you played Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis? Well after 13 years a small indie team is taking up the task of creating a spiritual successor to a game that allows you to build your very own dinosaur theme park. allowing you to play as the park operator, visitor, and even the dinosaur this game brings things to the table no other tycoon simulator can. with very little time left to make this game a reality please help us and support them on kickstarter. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1896199000/mesozoica the dinosaurs are very realistic

+ josephene on October 3rd, 2015 at 2:02 am said:

Hi, me and my brother love playing split screen. Does this have splitscreen on the ps4? If it does it will be a definite purchase for me.

+ teenymhunter on October 3rd, 2015 at 3:12 am said:

i signed in just to ask if there was going to be bots but i see someone already asked a question that got mine answered
my questions are
will there be a rank/leveling system with unlocks?
how many maps are in the game?
will there be vehicles?
estimated fps?

+ IRONMANAJM on October 3rd, 2015 at 3:52 am said:

Another Jurrasic Park kinda game. Nope not something I would play considering the comparison with games like GTAV, Fallout4, Batman, etc!!!!!!

+ G-Force08 on October 3rd, 2015 at 8:47 am said:

All of which have dinosaurs, no doubt.

+ cake_batter on October 3rd, 2015 at 7:03 am said:

This game reminds me of Evolve, If you know what I mean. But I still might get it, if I hear good things about it. Good luck.

+ NectarWombat on October 11th, 2015 at 10:35 pm said:

Thanks!

+ G-Force08 on October 3rd, 2015 at 8:49 am said:

I’m down for some dinosaurs! :D

+ punkmusic2009 on October 3rd, 2015 at 3:27 pm said:

sorry I was thinking dino storm it looks the same to me but good news jrassic world game is free on androd

+ Xx_Nasser_Ahmad_ on October 3rd, 2015 at 6:15 pm said:

Awesome! But will it released in worldwide?

+ NectarWombat on October 11th, 2015 at 10:33 pm said:

We’ve announced with Sony Computer Entertainment America for October 20, but we’ll have more announcements very soon!

+ Xx_Nasser_Ahmad_ on October 20th, 2015 at 7:44 pm said:

So the game just released for the American release today but still waiting for the Europe release. I’ll wait if they announced.

+ jimmy50st on October 4th, 2015 at 12:05 am said:

Will it cost $19.99 right
And plus will the
Test map be playable

+ jimmy50st on October 4th, 2015 at 12:07 am said:

Will it cost $19.99 right
And plus will the
Test map be play-
Able

+ SweatySasquatch on October 4th, 2015 at 1:30 pm said:

Is this going to be $20 like it is on Steam?

+ sirtubby356 on October 4th, 2015 at 6:12 pm said:

I will buy this game and convince all my ps4 owning friends to buy this game just please tell me your still thinking about doing primal carnage genasis that game looked and sounded brilliant and honestly would do so well considering there are no dinosaur games for new gen consoles

+ sirtubby356 on October 4th, 2015 at 6:15 pm said:

If buying this game means you guys will finish primal carnage genesis i will totally give extinction a shot

+ Brendar on October 15th, 2015 at 8:55 pm said:

Congrats Panic Button!

Can’t wait to grab this, love me some dinosaurs.

+ Hypnooxx on October 19th, 2015 at 10:24 am said:

I don’t understand why the PS4 keeps getting old PC games that have been around for years already. Primal Carnage is from 2012! It sells for $7.99, you can play it today! Sony will talk it up like it’s a new product and sell it to you for 60 bucks? I don’t understand…

+ Lumi-ni on October 20th, 2015 at 5:49 am said:

Hey Adam, i still can’t find it at the PSN store (eu).

+ bloodoffaith on October 20th, 2015 at 7:22 am said:

And is not included on the new games posted on the blog. Smels to delay…..

+ bloodoffaith on October 20th, 2015 at 10:56 am said:

where is the gameeeee

+ bluedash24 on October 20th, 2015 at 12:05 pm said:

Where is primal carnage extinction on the so store I can’t find it anywhere it’s not even in the new games section and today’s the day it is expected to be realased if you check the ps website it says it’s out now. Why?!

+ bluedash24 on October 20th, 2015 at 4:10 pm said:

Oops never mind guys its here now i guess they heard complaints and added it!

+ ratman2365 on October 22nd, 2015 at 11:06 am said:

What game modes can you play offline?

+ maximusmaxim on October 23rd, 2015 at 10:12 am said:

im in the ps4 store right now and can’t find it :( anybody knows why?

+ CMoore797 on October 24th, 2015 at 2:36 pm said:

Hey guys! Loved Primal Carnage before it was brought to PS4. I was just wondering, when can we expect Extinction to be released in Europe? Any feedback would be appreciated!
Good luck in the future!

+ Sequoia1512 on October 27th, 2015 at 3:32 am said: