The Last Guardian

Oct 02

21679569810_980446c902_z

Super Meat Boy Leaps Onto PS4, PS Vita on October 6th with New Soundtrack

21679569810_980446c902_z

Tommy Refenes's Avatar Posted by on Oct 02, 2015 // Team Meat

Hello, PlayStation fans! The day is almost upon us — on October 6th Super Meat Boy will finally come to PS4 and PS Vita as a cross buy title. As a thank you to the fans who have been so patient with us, Super Meat Boy is going to be free to download as part of October’s PS Plus lineup.

Super Meat Boy

For those of you that never played Super Meat Boy, you’re in for a real treat. You’re about to play a game with the best controls and level design this side of 1988. For those of you that have already had the joy (Pain?) of experiencing Meat Boy, you’ll notice that the soundtrack is different.

Long story short, we couldn’t secure the rights to include the old soundtrack with the release of the game on PS4 and PS Vita. Now don’t be too bummed because we had the opportunity to work with our favorite artists to re-score Super Meat Boy to celebrate its 5th Anniversary. Our dream team of artists consists of:

• Matthias Bossi and Jon Evans, known the world over as Ridiculon (whose most recent work includes The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth), provided the bulk of the soundtrack. They took care of The Forest, Hell, The Rapture, and The End, as well as the intro music and title screen. They also re-scored all of the cutscenes and miscellaneous ditties. Their work is always stellar and Super Meat Boy is no exception. Ready yourselves for some devilishly gruesome guitar work, my friends.
  • David “Scattle” Scatliffe of Hotline Miami fame used his unique moody style to create incredible tracks for The Hospital and the Salt Factory. His mastery will leave you wondering if the shakes you’re having are from the intense levels or the creepy/industrial bliss your ears are soaking in.
  • Laura Shigihara of Plants vs. Zombies renown scored The Cotton Alley in her style to give Bandage Girl’s levels a gentle, feminine touch that provides a fitting counterpoint to the hardest levels in the game.

That’s a pretty slick roster of artists. We were lucky enough that they were all friends of ours and fans of Super Meat Boy. Their passion and love for the game can be heard in the work they put into making the game sound amazing. We’re honored to have them on the team for this version of Super Meat Boy.

Super Meat BoySuper Meat Boy

Their marvelous soundtrack coupled with Jordan Fehr’s gross and satisfying SFX create an auditory masterpiece that complements Super Meat Boy like butter to lobster. But, talk is talk — your ears need to judge. We don’t want you to hear the whole soundtrack just yet; that special date is reserved for October 6th, but we’ll give a little taste of what’s to come. Below, you’ll find a link to the Hell Boss track. When you listen to it, you can hear that it burns with a seething intensity that is Hell in Super Meat Boy:

We’re excited for old fans, forgotten fans, and fans that don’t yet know that Super Meat Boy is their all time favorite game to join us October 6th on PS4 and PS Vita to celebrate Super Meat Boy’s 5th birthday in style!

Love,
Tommy and Edmund

P.S. The DualShock 4 glows red while you play Super Meat Boy. If you were on the fence before and this tidbit didn’t sway you, then I don’t know what I can do for you.

38 Comments

+ OnTheBus666 on October 2nd, 2015 at 7:19 am said:

Nice, this game is perfect for vita!

+ paulogy on October 2nd, 2015 at 7:20 am said:

“The DualShock 4 glows red while you play Super Meat Boy.” SOLD!

( Well, I will already be getting this free with PlayStation Plus – THANK YOU – but if I didn’t have that I’d be :-)

+ SidNightwalker on October 2nd, 2015 at 7:29 am said:

Broken Age is an excellent example of how to create a game that’s a little more beyond trial and error. That’s I’m actually excited for, as it will be a fine addition to my Plus library.

+ helbertpina on October 2nd, 2015 at 7:35 am said:

Oh, man, I predict SO MANY Vita’s being smashed to bits soon… :P

+ helbertpina on October 2nd, 2015 at 7:36 am said:

*Vitas, not Vita’s. Argh, we need an “edit post” option, guys…

+ dkarlowicz10 on October 2nd, 2015 at 7:40 am said:

I have a PS4 but I can’t wait to play this on Vita.

+ CraddaPoosta on October 2nd, 2015 at 7:45 am said:

I would care more about this title if it weren’t the flagship of October’s PS+ games. Couldn’t be more sick of indie titles. I appreciate that it’s a strong genre, and that a lot of gamers enjoy indie games, but any PS+ subscriber who’s had a paid subscription for more than a year has already received dozens and dozens and dozens of 99-cent shovelware games that enjoyed success on Steam, Android, iOS or as part of a Humble Bundle.

Look at the blog post about October’s PS+ additions. Count how many gamers are saying the exact same thing.

Sony has ridden this horse to the ground. It’s not Team Meat’s fault. But, now I know how it felt to be a gamer in 1983. I can’t wait for this obsession with indie games to finally run its course.

+ Superstone on October 2nd, 2015 at 7:47 am said:

Thanks for supporting the vita

+ Fuhr31 on October 2nd, 2015 at 7:50 am said:

I can’t see the back of the controller when I play games. Hope too much time wasn’t spent on that “feature”

+ langdon on October 2nd, 2015 at 7:54 am said:

It says “don’t be a jerk” in capital letters. =/

+ Fuhr31 on October 2nd, 2015 at 8:10 am said:

I’m sorry that you were somehow offended by my not being able to see the back of my controller. ?????

+ veryhoudini11 on October 4th, 2015 at 1:23 am said:

do you not realize that light illuminates???? … thats the point of the feature.

+ kmtburton on October 2nd, 2015 at 8:00 am said:

If it hadn’t been givin out I’d of bought it anyways. Been a long wait but I’m glad I’ll finally get to play SMB.

+ kmtburton on October 2nd, 2015 at 8:06 am said:

Been a long wait but I’m glad to finally get to play this amazing looking game. Would have bought it regardless but thanks for giving it out free for our wait.

+ TinyTim2301 on October 2nd, 2015 at 8:24 am said:

Who’s the stickler who wouldn’t let you guys use the original soundtrack? Was it Microsoft again or Danny himself?

+ Silver_shion on October 2nd, 2015 at 8:49 am said:

Ok that song is sick .
Im sold.

+ ero619 on October 2nd, 2015 at 9:01 am said:

Tuesday cant come song enough :) Is the game compatible with vita tv?

+ yellowchicken14 on October 2nd, 2015 at 9:03 am said:

Great to have a version for the Vita too – and the new soundtrack is pretty awesome!

+ Vextalon on October 2nd, 2015 at 10:02 am said:

This such a great addition to the Playstation family. Now for those that don’t have Playstation Plus anymore how much is this game going to be once it’s up on the store? I’m definitely going to grab it but I rather own then have it locked out once my subscription runs out.

+ death_nation100 on October 2nd, 2015 at 10:13 am said:

Woah I’m liking the fact they found great music composers. Hotline Miami soundtrack are the best they deserve to win best soundtrack award thisd year.

+ DarthSmurfX on October 2nd, 2015 at 10:14 am said:

Any news on a magical new feature that allows us to import our X360 saves to the PS4?!?! Please. Pretty please?!?! I am super far, and really, REALLY don’t want to start over.

– Signed DarthSmurfX’s DS4 controller

+ coffin_eder on October 2nd, 2015 at 12:53 pm said:

smb have platinum trophy ?

+ DAROCK2300 on October 2nd, 2015 at 2:05 pm said:

I’ve heard alot about this game and can’t wait to finally play it.

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on October 2nd, 2015 at 2:33 pm said:

This game is amazing for the PS Vita..you know what other games would be amazzing..ALL OF THE PS3 TITLES! Shank..Blitz and NBA JAM for a PERFECT EXAMPLE! #JustSayin lol

+ spacemonkeyham on October 2nd, 2015 at 3:59 pm said:

This game will be on my PS4 and Vita forever. Or until I go insane trying for the platinum,

+ oo7PorscheMGS on October 2nd, 2015 at 6:40 pm said:

Heard a lot about this game over the years… Thanks for bringing it to ps4!!

Never played many indie / small games before a few years ago, but thanks to PS PLUS (and an open mind willing to try different stuff instead of COD + Destiny 24/7…) I’ve played some awesome stuff. :)

+ Welmosca on October 3rd, 2015 at 1:10 am said:

You made the best hoice.

+ Welmosca on October 3rd, 2015 at 1:10 am said:

*Choice

+ Akmaljon on October 2nd, 2015 at 7:24 pm said:

Its free on ps+, and as a ps4 owner i am disappointed on PS+ line ups. nothing wrong with game its just how ps+ treats us. Tired of getting same kind of game. No offense tho.

+ veryhoudini11 on October 4th, 2015 at 1:26 am said:

^^^Overly privileged.

+ Welmosca on October 3rd, 2015 at 1:03 am said:

Vita hu?…nice one,since its cross-buy I will check this out on the Vita.And reading the comments looks like this game is pretty hard.Well thats a big surprise and a pleasant one…game may just have ma interest.

+ XrosBlader821 on October 4th, 2015 at 5:44 am said:

The new soundtrack sounds freaking amazing!
Will the digital soundtrack be available on Windows store in Europe like the previous was?

+ TO_RULEZ on October 4th, 2015 at 6:03 am said:

played this on xbox 360 and i have not been so mad at game since playing super mario the original and being stuck at the final bowser castle. Cant wait to play it on ps4

+ Aerol901 on October 6th, 2015 at 9:24 pm said:

The new soundtrack is pretty horrible, and doesn’t fit the game. They really should have worked out a deal with the original composer.

See the “Street Fighter” sequence at the beginning of the game for a prime example of how the new music kills the mood.

+ Purgatories on October 11th, 2015 at 9:09 am said:

Great that it’s free, I’m so disappointed about the OG soundtrack. I knew something was off.

+ AutomaticOcelot on October 22nd, 2015 at 1:06 pm said:

Thanks Tommy, good luck with the launch… oh wait it’s PS+ collection, congrats on the enormous novelty cheque? ;)

I’m glad that more Meatboy music exists. Professional differences are what they are. Customers can still choose another platform.