Spider-Man PS4

Oct 20

18852079341_8f78c93668_z

Star Wars Battlefront: Leia, Han, and Palpatine Join the Battle

Jamie Keen's Avatar Posted by on Oct 20, 2015 // Lead Hero Designer, Star Wars Battlefront

Star Wars Battlefront on PS4 lets you step into the shoes of many iconic figures from the vast Star Wars universe. Playing as a Hero or Villain character in Star Wars Battlefront (including Luke Skywalker or Darth Vader) isn’t only about charging fearlessly into battle and laying waste to enemy troopers; it’s also about defensive tactics and supporting your team.

Star Wars Battlefront

I’m here today to give you insight into the design process of two new heroes (and one new villain) on the Star Wars Battlefront roster. Let’s start with a legendary royal Rebel, Princess Leia.

Leia Organa

Star Wars Battlefront

Leia is a character that succeeds through her fearless, strategic mind. We can all remember moments when her quick-thinking blaster fire helped the Rebels out of trouble. Our goal for all the Hero characters has been to capture their essence and spirit from the original Star Wars film trilogy, and then convey that through gameplay. Doing that is more straightforward with characters wielding Lightsabers and Force abilities; it’s obvious how to build gameplay around those things. Leia was trickier in that regard since she doesn’t have a specific, favorite weapon, so we had to represent her in another way.

It’s clear that Leia is a leader, so in Star Wars Battlefront she’s very much about support play, buffing team members, and holding positions. Furthermore, players spawning close to her will spawn as Alderaan Honor Guards. That said, she’s got a lot of offensive output as well. Just look at the original Star Wars trilogy: you’ll notice that when Leia shoots at stormtroopers, she kills them quickly. We’ve based one of Leia’s abilities on this: Trooper Bane.

A hard-hitting, boosted blaster shot, Trooper Bane is designed to be fired in single bursts. Now, this packs a real punch if you hit your target. A stormtrooper will get killed in one blast by Trooper Bane, and against Villains it will both deal a lot of damage and temporarily stun them.

Star Wars Battlefront

A more defensive power is the Enhanced Squad Shield. This works like the regular Squad Shield Power Card but is far stronger: it can stop some Force abilities and Leia can even shoot out of it with Trooper Bane active, which ground troopers cannot. The Enhanced Squad Shield is ideal if you want to own a certain area of the map, such as an Uplink Station in Walker Assault. Simply deploy the shield and you can securely hold these key areas as a group thanks to Leia’s cover.

Then there’s Supply Drop, another power that will make Leia a key asset for Rebel forces. Activate this ability to drop a variety of power ups for ground troopers, or health boosts for other Hero characters. This can really help your team out, so make sure to use it as often as you can.

Han Solo

Star Wars Battlefront

It’s been incredibly fun to work on Han Solo for Star Wars Battlefront. He’s such a likeable character, and turning his unique persona into gameplay features is a thrill when you’re a Star Wars fan. We’ve also witnessed the love for this character in our playtests. Han’s sardonic lines and emotes seem to put a smile on everyone’s face.

Gameplay-wise, Han Solo is a gunslinger mainly designed for lone wolves and, echoing the beginning of the original Star Wars trilogy, he’s not very dependent on others. Similar to a Rebel trooper, but with a greatly boosted arsenal, Han Solo might be the easiest Hero character to get into. Offensive output, damage, and mobility — that’s what this guy’s about.

Han Solo has three useful abilities to even out the odds fighting the Empire and the first one is called Rapid Fire. Active for a few seconds, this lets Han fire his Blaster as fast you can pull the trigger, without having to worry about overheating. Try this out when taking on compact groups and mow down those stormtroopers! Rapid Fire is also really good for when villains like Darth Vader approach. Use it at the right time and you’ll lay down a ton of damage.

Star Wars Battlefront

Han Solo has an element of fortune around him and that’s where Lucky Shot, Han’s second power, originates from. This is a “build up and release” power that hits really hard and is effective against vehicles. Lucky Shot works for infantry as well and is mighty enough to break Darth Vader’s block.

Last but not least is the Shoulder Charge power. Remember the Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope scene where Han charges into a group of stormtroopers? Then you’ll know what to expect. Shoulder Charge is both an offensive and defensive move and can be used to quickly get into battles — but also out of them.

Emperor Palpatine

Star Wars Battlefront

Based on how he’s been characterized and how he plays, Emperor Palpatine might be my personal favorite character in Star Wars Battlefront. But getting to that point has been a challenge.

We wanted many different things with the Emperor. We wanted him to be very mobile, but also about deception and fooling people that he’s fragile and weak. As you’ve seen in the original Star Wars trilogy, Palpatine pretends to be a weak old man, when he in fact is extremely powerful. That two-faced side was something we wanted to convey in gameplay and the Emperor’s abilities.

Palatine’s main attack is the iconic Force Lightning, which does a lot of damage to troops within reach. The lightning also comes in the more powerful Chain Lightning form, which is an area of effect ability dealing damage to enemies around you in all directions.

Another power is called Force Dash and is (pun intended) shocking in another way. When Palpatine activates Force Dash he’ll move extremely fast in his current direction, which can be a real nasty surprise for Rebel soldiers. We’ve seen some players get really startled when they have been aiming down the sights at Palpatine and suddenly see him right up close.

In contrast to these abilities, Palpatine is also the Empire team’s support Villain, capable of providing powerups for others and himself. Thanks to his command of the Empire, Palpatine can use the Imperial Resources ability to hand out power-ups to teammates and health boosts to other Villains.

30 Comments

+ Skater_Ricky on October 20th, 2015 at 9:07 am said:

May the Force be with us all.

#4ThePlayers

+ Ethereal on October 20th, 2015 at 9:10 am said:

Sweet!

+ jchill001 on October 20th, 2015 at 9:13 am said:

Hopefully we will see the clone wars and have a standalone darth sidious, especially since he had a light saber

+ Helter-Skeletor on October 20th, 2015 at 12:24 pm said:

Um…you do realize that Emperor Palpatine IS Sidious, right?

+ Dudnukem on October 20th, 2015 at 12:38 pm said:

Hence why he said “standalone” this implies he knows that, but wants a more melee version of him. Just like Adding in Anakin one would argue Vadar’s already in it.

+ Skater_Ricky on October 20th, 2015 at 9:17 am said:

The Force is Strong on PlayStation!

+ indm50 on October 20th, 2015 at 9:21 am said:

Will the PS4 version have exclusive content?

+ falconbox on October 20th, 2015 at 9:43 am said:

I hope not.

Advertising and marketing agreements is one thing, but I don’t like when companies hold back content from other platforms like that.

+ GGGGit on October 20th, 2015 at 11:26 am said:

I know if you preorder the deluxe version you get in game treats and early access to the battle of jakku 2 weeks before everyone else. Not sure on console exclusives.

+ Welmosca on October 21st, 2015 at 9:11 am said:

@ falconbox – WTF?…I hope yes.

+ Maryokutai on October 21st, 2015 at 11:19 am said:

Yeah, every platform should have the same content. I don’t see how I would benefit from something that’s missing on other consoles apart from some childish “Haha, but I have it!” scenario I have outgrown when I turned 11.

+ ZombieRollz on October 20th, 2015 at 9:22 am said:

New Star Wars trailer and more info on Battlefront? My heart can only handle so much love!

+ DookBros on October 20th, 2015 at 12:49 pm said:

I’m feeling like it’s 1999 again with all this Star Wars hype. Hope to be wrong about the movie though…

+ SCOOTER614 on October 20th, 2015 at 9:38 am said:

This is really shaping up to be a one of a kind type of game! I loved the beta, graphics and simple play type. This is a game that is busting with hours of fun! I can’t wait to finally pop that disc in my PS4, I’ve got a felling it’ll stay in there for a long time!!! Great job DICE and PlayStation. BEYOND

+ llucha on October 20th, 2015 at 10:26 am said:

Can’t wait till the 17th too much HYPEEEEE

+ Strangeheaven on October 20th, 2015 at 10:52 am said:

Sony, today the PS4 received a new firmware 3.10. I was not amused at all,how on earth do stickers benefit me,when all I want is an option to delete all my trophies permanently. Yes I dislike trophies,and I would like the option to delete. Plus I want Folders to organise my games,and a delete button to delete all unwanted demos,add ons from the library. Come on sony,I want to see these two features in the next firmware,these two features are a must,and should of been implemented in the ps4 at launch.

+ Mickuchiha on October 20th, 2015 at 12:42 pm said:

This is just a suggestion, when trying to troll, try harder to not make it so obvious

+ GGGGit on October 20th, 2015 at 11:28 am said:

Im still trying to get over the season pass fiasco. This helps a little. Palpatine looks awesome.

+ RGS396 on October 20th, 2015 at 1:44 pm said:

What fiasco?

Them offering a season pass or DLC should not have been a surprise to anyone.

+ Welmosca on October 21st, 2015 at 9:24 am said:

@ RGS396 – Just because it ain’t a surprise doesn’t mean it ain’t a fiasco.

+ fabinpls on October 20th, 2015 at 12:33 pm said:

In my opinion, Leia should use the DDC Defender blaster pistol, or the SC X-30, which was notably used by Leia in A New Hope and Return of the Jedi respectively.

+ GARDEN-ST8T-GR8T on October 20th, 2015 at 12:34 pm said:

The beta was awesoqme i put all my games down abs plagued only the beta until it ran out can’t wait for the release #starwarsbattlefront

+ EwokBandit on October 20th, 2015 at 2:32 pm said:

I don’t care what all the big websites are saying about Battlefront. I think the beta was fantastic and I’m VERY excited for this game.

+ KingKush5150 on October 20th, 2015 at 4:21 pm said:

Still no sight of Boba Fett? Maybe they saw that leak post of the guy who looked into the beta coding on PC?

+ jonikon on October 21st, 2015 at 12:16 am said:

Cant wait!

+ itsmekamren on October 21st, 2015 at 3:58 am said:

I can’t wait to play the Iconic Star Wars BattleFront III. To me back in 2005 it was amazing…

+ Welmosca on October 21st, 2015 at 9:22 am said:

Bad move…the excitement,thrill and in some cases the desperate search for the hero power ups are gone in the maps you’ll get to play as one of them 3.Don’t get me wrong I like Han and Leia….but becoming Luke and Darth Vader is one thing now Han,Leia and the lame palpatine?
When I played the beta I was afraid something like this would be in the full game.I reckon Endor will have Luke and Darth Vader power ups as well right?…I really hope we’ll have more than just 2 maps to become Luke and Darth Vader cuz thats where the real thing is.
Where’s the thrill in becoming Han,Leia or palpatine?…damn I wonder how palpatine will move around the map.

+ darcyleclair on October 21st, 2015 at 9:38 am said:

I cant wait for Star War’s to come out but I would really like PlayStation to allow us to play our old PS3 games! I like what they did with Drake’s collection buy the forth and get previous games with it but are they going to do that to all continuing saga’s? I have so many games that I still play daily on my PS3 my PS4 is going unused because I have my PS3 playing most of my games and YouTube and other sites and services. Please allow people to play their previous purchased games. This has happened for each concole and its unfair that we spend all this money on games and everything else then when the new console comes out we have to start all over again. There are so many good games for the PS3 like Portal 2 why can games not be playable on both when you have others that can? its unfair and unethical to keep making us pay for more and more stuff to be able to play our already purchased games.

+ SmoothItalianICE on October 22nd, 2015 at 5:56 am said:

I often have to play offline and I’m curious as to whether or not this would be worth purchasing with only being able to play online occasionally. Does it offer enough single-player to be worthwhile?

+ Kid_Grim on October 22nd, 2015 at 7:53 pm said:

well my pre-order is in from the comfort of my own couch.