Overwatch

Nov 18

23112611401_858386f5c0_z

Darkest Dungeon Coming to PS4, PS Vita Next Year

John Lindvay's Avatar Posted by on Nov 18, 2015 // Community Manager

Let me share with you the terrible wonders I have come to know…

We’ve all played dungeon crawlers before, but have you ever had your fighter go on a bender to cope with the horrors he’s witnessed in the darkness? Darkest Dungeon deals with the psychological toll adventurers endure as they brave the nightmarish horrors of the pit. This December, Darkest Dungeon will be coming to PlayStation Experience.

Darkest Dungeon

We’ve always been fans of dungeon crawlers and we’ve all grown up with the gospel of Gygax, but there was one aspect always missing from these adventures of fame and glory. Warriors are always brave, clerics always faithful to their deity. But humans are fragile and become irrational as pressures mount. So we wanted to make a game set in a dark gothic low-fantasy world that would begin to capture what it would be like if a human, not a superhero, lived through the events we see so often in RPGs.

We’ve been working on Darkest Dungeon since April 2013. And coming up this December, a major milestone is happening: for the first time ever we’ll be showing Darkest Dungeon running on PS4! Seeing your game running on a console is a big deal for any developer, and we couldn’t be more excited. We’ve always been proud of our game’s visuals, but seeing it on a large TV… it’s never looked better.

So be sure to come by our booth, check out the game and say hello! We will have a special goodie to hand out for those who were brave enough to battle the nightmares that lurk below.

Darkest DungeonDarkest Dungeon

Can’t make it out to San Francisco? That’s a bummer, but don’t worry! Darkest Dungeon will be launching on PS4 and PS Vita in Spring 2016. That being said, PlayStation Experience will be one of the few chances to play the game on PS4 before we release it.

We couldn’t be more excited to bring the game to Playstation, and we look forward to seeing you this December!

A devil walks these halls… only the mad or the desperate go in search of him…

+ Mickuchiha on November 18th, 2015 at 6:10 am said:

I’ve been interested in this game for a while now, glad to hear Its coming to ps4 and vita

I have a few questions

Cross features? (save/buy)
PS TV compatible?

+ Kharmeister on November 18th, 2015 at 7:34 am said:

In my opinion, all games that come out on Vita now should be compatible with PS TV, and any games that are multi-plat but also on Vita should be cross-play/cross-buy, as Sony has pretty much condemned the Vita to only a trickle of support from third-parties at best and as of late, zero first-party support. If the devs behind this game truly want Darkest Dungeon to sell in any significant numbers on PSN, they need to make the game available to as many PlayStation platforms as possible, which means including PS TV compatibility and widening the install base with cross-save/cross play. After all, there are far more PS4s out there than Vitas or PS TVs, but if I own the former and at least one of the latter two, I’m more likely to buy the game if I only need to purchase it once, right?

+ SaviorMachine on November 18th, 2015 at 6:14 am said:

I’ve been awaiting this announcement for AGES. I’ll buy this game just to listen to the narrator. He should do audiobooks.

John Lindvay's Avatar

+ John Lindvay on November 18th, 2015 at 11:13 am said:

He does do audio books! You should look him up, his name is Wayne June and his audio books are terrific!

+ SaviorMachine on November 19th, 2015 at 4:51 pm said:

That is so sick. I will do, thanks.

+ madmanwithabox12 on November 18th, 2015 at 6:16 am said:

I hope the Vita version doesn’t go MIA for a year like every other indie lately.

+ Supermoon11 on November 18th, 2015 at 6:23 am said:

YEESSSSS!!!!! Every Vita owner in the Kinda Funny Community is going to be super excited!!

+ luvtoseek on November 18th, 2015 at 9:46 am said:

Really? I’ve haven’t heard Kinda or the PS I Love blog cast mention Darkest Dungeon at all which is a shame. Though I didn’t visited the forums yet.

+ rockoutdude77 on November 18th, 2015 at 12:22 pm said:

Hell yeah!

+ judasgoat on November 18th, 2015 at 6:32 am said:

After playing this on Steam for quite a while, I have been waiting for this on PS4 and Vita to really dive in (despite some 20-odd hours invested on PC). I love everything about this game. From the rogue-like exploration and combat, to the Mignola-inspired art, this fires on all cylinders for me. So glad to see that it’s coming together!

+ iamsirjoshua on November 18th, 2015 at 6:47 am said:

This looks like a really intriguing title. I love the concept behind it and the graphics are really attractive, so big props to your art team. Thanks for sharing it on the blog – I’ll add it to my list to keep an eye on for Spring 2016. Definitely looking forward to hearing more about it as it gets closer to release.

John Lindvay's Avatar

+ John Lindvay on November 18th, 2015 at 11:17 am said:

Thanks for your consideration! Our artist is Chris Bourassa and we agree that his work is incredible.

+ Kharmeister on November 18th, 2015 at 7:37 am said:

I’ve heard great things about this game on PC, so I’m definitely interested. With my backlog though it’s unlikely I’ll be able to get to this game anytime soon, so as you can imagine there’s a part of me that secretly hopes this game will appear in the PS Plus IGC after it’s made the majority of its sales, but I’ll be on the lookout for this game once I have some spare time and spare change regardless.

Speaking of critically-acclaimed RPGs coming to PS4 and Vita, where the heck is THE BANNER SAGA?!?

+ luvtoseek on November 18th, 2015 at 9:50 am said:

Banner Saga is now up in the air, as the dev has stated the sequel is taking up alot of resources. I hope it pulls through!

+ eocavalcantiBR on November 18th, 2015 at 7:50 am said:

Oh boy, thanks for launching it on Vita. I’ll put this one on my Vita’s Wishlist for next year, looks really interesting.

+ PaleMemories on November 18th, 2015 at 7:58 am said:

I was SUPER excited when I saw the screen shot on the blog! …then I read the headline. Sigh. Okay, I can wait until Spring. It’s what I expected, but…sigh. I’ll be patient.

John Lindvay's Avatar

+ John Lindvay on November 18th, 2015 at 11:15 am said:

Thanks for your patience! And we are also super excited to see it come to the platform.

+ Fuhr31 on November 18th, 2015 at 8:00 am said:

Seen a lot of this game on youtube and it looks great. Will likely pick this up if the price is right.

My hope is that the devs take in to consideration the differences between pc and console gaming. Namely font size. So many indie devs don’t think about this and their games become frustrating to play due to struggling to read what’s on screen. Console players aren’t sitting inches from their screens like pc gamers.

I’ll look forward to this release and hope the port is top notch.

John Lindvay's Avatar

+ John Lindvay on November 18th, 2015 at 11:16 am said:

It is super important when making the jump to consoles to make sure text is legible! It’s one of my biggest pet peeves! So we are very conscious about this and couldn’t agree more!

+ luvtoseek on November 18th, 2015 at 9:47 am said:

Agreed. UI formating has to be considered for the Vita!

+ Hakumen__ on November 18th, 2015 at 10:08 am said:

I really like the artwork on this game. Looking forward to play this on my PS Vita!

+ Vextalon on November 18th, 2015 at 11:04 am said:

Great, I have this game on Steam, and I can proudly say that this is such a fantastic game.Playing this on my Vita will be so good now. I have already lost several characters that I have invested plenty of time in but there legacies will continue on…

Anyway will this be the complete edition or will there be any post launch dlc? Any details on what the final price is going to be?

+ sethisthegoat on November 18th, 2015 at 11:31 am said:

Every time I’ve made a list of my most-anticipated (announced) games over the past year, this has been on it. (No Man’s Sky, Uncharted 4, Darkest Dungeon and Horizon: Zero Dawn…in that order). Stoked to see that it is definitely on its way, and is coming relatively soon.

+ rockoutdude77 on November 18th, 2015 at 12:20 pm said:

THIS IS A PERFECT VITA GAME!

+ Blaine on November 18th, 2015 at 1:37 pm said:

Been waiting a long time to play this on Vita! Please don’t delay that version, like so many other games have.

+ Doctor_Hank_Pym on November 18th, 2015 at 2:53 pm said:

Finally!!! One of my favorite PC releases of the past year — I loved the art, music, narration, gameplay, general atmosphere, and’ll happily rebuy it for PS4/Vita.

+ Doctor_Hank_Pym on November 18th, 2015 at 2:55 pm said:

Also: please implement cross-save / cross-trophies between the PS4 & Vita versions! I really thought that would be an absolute standard by now, but it still seems to only pop up on a case by case basis. I’d love to be able to work off the same Save both at home and on the go.
Thanks so much!

+ cao13 on November 18th, 2015 at 5:53 pm said:

will they be a early access on the ps4. I hope so cant wait.

+ PAFenix on November 18th, 2015 at 6:07 pm said:

Cross Buy? :D

+ Jackal888 on November 18th, 2015 at 6:41 pm said:

I am excited for this game on Vita! Dungeon games are perfect for the commute.

+ GENETICIDE on November 18th, 2015 at 8:10 pm said:

Was hoping for physical retail announcement. =/

+ PaulKylymnyk on November 18th, 2015 at 9:31 pm said:

A perfect Vita game indeed!

+ Caio_Shadowman on November 19th, 2015 at 12:01 pm said:

Loving this…. Digimons next year for Vita too *-*

+ Phillyblunz on November 19th, 2015 at 12:43 pm said:

Any game on VITA which is not PSTV compatible is a pass for me.

And remember guys, PSTV supports up to 4 players!!

Do the right thing here, make the PSTV version the right way.

The best way to play vita games or do remoteplay is PSTV, dont forget that.

+ plaztiksyke on November 19th, 2015 at 1:38 pm said:

Same thing here — I’ve been waiting for this announcement since the tease of the PC version, and I heard a rumor it might come to PlayStation. The fact its coming to PS4 and Vita with cross-save makes it a no-brainer for me :)

I played a game on PC and Xbox about 10 years ago based on John Carpenter movie called The Thing. It had/has a fantastic mechanic where fear and paranoia are resources that you have to maintain in your team, just like ammunition and health. Was that game an inspiration for the fear/stress management in your game?

+ InfernalxOverkil on November 19th, 2015 at 3:44 pm said:

I’ve never seen an early access title handled as well as Darkest Dungeon, it’s been a great ride seeing all of the additions and improvements made over the past year. Happy to buy this game again on PS4.

+ Welmosca on November 19th, 2015 at 10:28 pm said:

The pic in the Blog main page couldn’t be more disgusting.

+ geraine on November 25th, 2015 at 2:27 pm said:

Can I assume it is digital only? I am a physical collector, so while I will buy a digital game if I have to, I prefer physical!