PlayStation Vue

Dec 02

20698024981_c863679a2e_k

Explore the AI of Call of Duty: Black Ops III at PlayStation Experience

Scott Lowe's Avatar Posted by on Dec 02, 2015 // Activision Games Blog

We may rarely think about them, but A.I. systems can fundamentally alter the gameplay experience. In order to build Call of Duty: Black Ops 3‘s four-player cooperative campaign, the team at Treyarch had to completely overhaul its A.I. technology and rethink how it influences combat, storytelling, and level design, all the while maintaining the cinematic immersion that the series is known for.

Black Ops 3_SP_Lotus Towers_WM

This Saturday, join me and members of Treyarch’s engineering, design, animation, and story teams as we discuss the making of Black Ops 3, the fundamentals of artificial intelligence, and how it can shape the future of games during the Call of Duty: Black Ops 3: Unlocking the Potential of A.I. panel.

Heading to PlayStation Experience? Here’s how to attend:

• What: Call of Duty Black Ops 3: Unlocking the Potential of A.I.
  • Where: San Francisco, CA — Moscone West Hall, 3rd Floor
  • When: Saturday, December 5th. 4:00 PM Pacific
  • Who:
    • Gary Stelmack, Senior Designer, Call of Duty Black Ops 3
    • Sumeet Jakatdar, Senior Software Engineer, Call of Duty Black Ops 3
    • Yanick Lebel, Lead Animator, Animation, Call of Duty Black Ops 3
    • Craig Houston, Lead Writer, Call of Duty Black Ops 3

We look forward to seeing you all in San Francisco!

7 Comments   1 Reply

+ tusunami on December 2nd, 2015 at 7:17 am said:

I’m really looking forward to watching streaming this on Twiitch. BO3 is a very cool game indeed so much new content & the movement system is amazing!!!!!!

Scott Lowe's Avatar

+ Scott Lowe on December 2nd, 2015 at 11:03 am said:

Thank you for the kind words! Hope you enjoy the stream this Saturday.

+ Mary_Poppins78 on December 2nd, 2015 at 10:20 am said:

Weeks after release still being disconnected. Still freezing. I spend more time searching or reloading system than playing. 2

+ Mary_Poppins78 on December 2nd, 2015 at 10:21 am said:

2 thumbs down

+ Andrew5087 on December 2nd, 2015 at 10:50 am said:

Treyarch isn’t good at programming A.I., the bots in BO3 offline multiplayer are stupid and don’t utilize the new mechanics such as swimming. Seems like all they can do is make good stories about A.I. Ghosts and Advanced warfare had way better bots.

+ Bleak5170 on December 2nd, 2015 at 12:28 pm said:

I could not agree more. The bot A.I. in this game is a HUGE step backwards from that in Ghosts and even Advanced Warfare. I think Treyarch needs to take a long hard look at what I.W. did with Ghosts. Here’s just a few issues:

– they run around in a cluster all the time. Seems like their pathing is limited.

– they are all too equally skilled. This results in them struggling to get any streaks. Other games have fixed this by having bots of different skill levels.

– they all seem to run the exact same streak set-up

– they never shoot down or destroy streaks. Opposite of B.O. II where they’d blast your UAVs out of the sky immediately.

– they are super cheap on the higher difficulties. I want challenging bots which don’t have wallhacks and aimbots. They will 180ยบ spin on you and head shot you every single time. Watch the killcams and you’ll be sick.

– despite being super cheap, on even Veteran they are cannon fodder in objective modes. They can’t seem to concentrate on objectives and shooting at the same time.

– a bot will shoot you and if you run around a corner it will completely forget about you.

+ paulogy on December 2nd, 2015 at 1:59 pm said:

Hi Scott! I won’t be at PSX but will be tuning in to as much as I can. Hope you guys have a great show :-)

+ iCrazy-Teddy on December 5th, 2015 at 11:20 am said: