Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward

Dec 03

22851883503_68a33c97d3_h

Bound Revealed for PS4

Michal Staniszewski's Avatar Posted by on Dec 03, 2015 // Game Director, Plastic

Hello, PlayStation fans! This is Michał “bonzaj” Staniszewski from Plastic, a small team with demoscene roots. In the past we brought you Linger In Shadows and Datura on PS3. We haven’t got rid of our experimenting habits, and this time we are going to deliver something to you that is quite unique in visual style, narrative storytelling, and also mechanics.

Bound is a 3D platformer designed for people with the desire to concentrate on the narrative side of games and experience a mature story. On the other side of the spectrum, Bound is also being prepared for hardcore gamers looking for the challenge of one big puzzle that can be only solved by a community of players working together.

The result: we are going to deliver a “notgame” to you, which is also a game. It’s up to you to decide how you would like to play.

BoundBound

Looking at the art side, we were searching for a style that is not deeply explored in video games, but still has a major influence on how our world looks today. We have concentrated on Modern Art in full flavor. If you are interested in art movements such as Suprematism, Concretism, Neoplasticism, or what Bauhaus has delivered, then you are going to love the world that we have created.

It would be a sin not to write a couple of words about the game’s main character. We were looking for a rich personality, one that could bring beauty to moves and exploration, a dancer or to be more precise — a ballerina. Thanks to our dancer Maria Udod and her choreographer Michał Adam Góral, we were able to capture some true expressive and emotional moments and put it into our game.

Bound

The accompanying soundtrack will be a perfect blend of ballet and electroacoustic music performed by Oleg “Heinali” Shpudeiko. He is the author of this beautiful contemporary piece.

Last but not least, and very important to me personally. You are going to experience our procedural 3D platforming world in a classic way. This means ultra-sharp anti-aliased 60 Hz in 1080p resolution. We have spent more than a year on optimizations, just to deliver you a game that will squeeze the most of your PS4.

I’ll be back soon. It’s really hard to describe our game in a single blog post. Please visit our small teaser site at bound.playstation.com.

Cheers!

+ Omac_brother on December 3rd, 2015 at 6:08 am said:

Sold. Day One.

+ MisterAxle on December 3rd, 2015 at 6:23 am said:

Definitely looks interesting!

But I’ll want to see a bit more than just what’s in that trailer before I decide to spend time and money. A demo level would be great; if the game can sell itself, I’ll certainly want to pick up a copy.

Michal Staniszewski's Avatar

+ Aaron Kaufman on December 3rd, 2015 at 7:04 am said:

It will be playable at PSX this weekend, likely something will come out of that online

+ MattKZ11 on December 3rd, 2015 at 6:33 am said:

Looks super interesting. Definitely on my radar!

+ poodude on December 3rd, 2015 at 6:41 am said:

Day one. I loved Linger in Shadows; it’s still one of my favourite PSN experiences.

Michal Staniszewski's Avatar

+ Aaron Kaufman on December 3rd, 2015 at 7:05 am said:

Plastic is rad, we love partnering with them. Their artistic vision is out of this world.

+ twinspectre on December 3rd, 2015 at 6:52 am said:

“Hardcore gamers” ? what the heck is he talking about?
Hardcore gamers? lol these guys buys what’s cool they probably never heard of Dragon Quest, Natural Doctrine, Inferno climbers to name a few

gaming isn’t heavily focused on story
these guys are confusing games with poetry, games with books
stop abusing people’s lack of gaming experience/knowledge

and i don’t want people to answer me, i want to be answered by the Devs

+ Dinchman on December 3rd, 2015 at 7:14 am said:

He said the puzzling aspect is for hardcore gamers, not the story. Did you miss that part?

+ twinspectre on December 3rd, 2015 at 7:30 am said:

i think you missed the part of
    i don’t want people to answer me, i want Devs to answer me
    and i bet the puzzle will be so dumbed down, let’s face it
    modern gamers don’t want to spend their time on solving a complicated puzzle
    so they are saying Hardcore so the modern gamers can continue to call themself Hardcore
    but i bet the puzzle will be easy

+ xDigitalTaco on December 3rd, 2015 at 6:54 am said:

Looks absolutely beautiful, I can’t wait to play!

+ paulogy on December 3rd, 2015 at 7:03 am said:

It seems like PlayStation is a perfect home for out-of-the-box ideas like this. Really looking forward to seeing more of this soon :-)

Michal Staniszewski's Avatar

+ Aaron Kaufman on December 3rd, 2015 at 7:05 am said:

And you definitely will

+ TomatoDragon on December 3rd, 2015 at 7:05 am said:

Love the art style.

+ twinspectre on December 3rd, 2015 at 7:09 am said:

this is a “not game” and people are happy
this is the saddest day for gaming, because i realise people don’t want to play Games anymore

+ Dracorius on December 3rd, 2015 at 8:09 am said:

Took a look through all your forum posts and your twitter account. Wow! Stay classy.

+ LucasFla1 on December 3rd, 2015 at 8:09 am said:

NO GOD! PLEASE NO!!!

I want God fo War.

+ EL-NINO-LOVO on December 3rd, 2015 at 12:16 pm said:

You do know they’re developing it right? They didn’t put their entire focus on this, heck they’re not fully responsible for this game so chill GOW is still coming.

+ AizawaYuuichi on December 4th, 2015 at 12:42 pm said:

Did you even bother to look at who the Blog post was made by? The game is developed by Plastic. SMS has a large XDEV group within their building, which has helped make/release a bunch of games over the years. Doesn’t mean they aren’t working on one or more huge AAA games with their own development teams… geez.

+ Dracorius on December 3rd, 2015 at 8:12 am said:

Looking forward to this. The artwork looks awesome! Thanks Aaron!

+ DirjelJunshin on December 3rd, 2015 at 8:33 am said:

DOES IT RUN AT 1080P 60FPS 420 NO SCOPE?

Seriously, though, Linger in Shadows was friggin’ beautiful, and Datura made me feel mildly uncomfortable pretty much the whole time. Will be picking this up too. I like these smaller, tighter experiences you guys have put out.

I like the idea of games like Ether One, but they kind of drag after a while. I’m hoping I can get through this in an evening or so; between Destiny / FFXIV / Fallout 4 / Bloodborne, I don’t have time for a bajillion-hour long walking simulator.

+ LarZen on December 3rd, 2015 at 10:16 am said:

This looks like something that would be amazing in VR. If I’m gonna be honest I must say I’m not that excited if it’s not. After testing VR, many games are just not entertaining enough anymore by watching a flat screen. I need to be immersed.

+ plaztiksyke on December 3rd, 2015 at 12:40 pm said:

another fan of Linger in Shadows and Datura here. I’d love to see those games on PS4 with lossless surround audio and 60fps. (linger in shadows would be amazing in stereo 3D as well!)

I love how Linger in Shadows required me to physically explore with the DualShock in a way that no other game had. I had to practically twirl it around on its axis to find some of the secrets in that game!

I’m looking forward to more “games as art” things like this. it’s experiences like this that make me stick with PlayStation.

+ xenorevlis on December 3rd, 2015 at 1:20 pm said:

You all made Linger in Shadows and Datura? Consider me on board! The trailer is quite intriguing as well :D

+ oo7PorscheMGS on December 4th, 2015 at 9:13 pm said:

Cant wait to try it, so much going on this week but this one catches the eye..it definitely will when I see it at PSX! :)