God of War

Dec 04

Dec 04

Classroom Aquatic Brings Cheating and Dolphins to PlayStation VR

Remy Karns's Avatar Posted by Designer, Sunken Places

Hey there, my name is Remy Karns, and I want to tell you about Classroom Aquatic, a new game that my team and I here at Sunken Places are developing for Playstation VR. If you haven’t heard of Classroom Aquatic, then this blog post should be the perfect way to dive into our game, and long time fans can keep up with all of the exciting new things we’re adding.

Classroom Aquatic

In Classroom Aquatic, you’re a foreign exchange diver student spending a semester abroad in a school for dolphins. There, you’ll be given a series of tests that you’re in no way prepared for. The only way to pass is to cheat — avoid being caught by the teachers, don’t let your fellow students tattle on you, and cheat your way to the top of the class!

The good news is, we all know how to cheat: just look over at your neighbors’ tests and copy their answers. Don’t worry — dolphins are very smart — they always know the right answers. But they also know when you’re trying to cheat, and the more obvious you are, the harder they’ll try to hide their answers. And if you get them too angry, they’ll tattle to the teacher!

Teachers, of course, don’t take kindly to cheating. Each teacher has a unique way of proctoring the class. For example, Professor Porpoise, the history and dolphinities teacher, patrols the class to prevent anyone peeking at any other pupil’s papers, while Doctor Delphinidae, the Science and Mathematics teacher, surveys the class from her desk, and the Career Counsellor directs his student aids to administer each question one at a time.

Classroom AquaticClassroom Aquatic

As you progress through the campaign, the teachers employ more and more drastic means to catch the cheaters. They’ll start with desk dividers and rearranging the classroom. Get past those and they’ll resort to more desperate, and creative measures — Professor Porpoise will enact rigid, arcane rules from his university days. Doctor Delphinidae invents elaborate contraptions to make cheating harder, and the Career Counsellor will appeal to the other students to turn you in. You’ll even have to compete with a dolphin student who wants to out-cheat you!

Classroom Aquatic has been designed to be a true VR game: rather than a port of a single screen game or a translation of an existing genre, its mechanics, goals, and gameplay have all been tailored to be played on VR head-mounted displays. We think Playstation VR will be the ideal platform for us, as it’s a VR device specifically made for games.

That’s all for now! I’ll try to read all your comments and answer all your questions (and if I can’t answer any I’ll just have to cheat). It’s always great to get feedback, and now’s the time, while we’re still in development. Until then, remember to never ascend faster than your smallest bubble when diving: it’s polite to let bubbles go ahead of you!

Add Your Own

Mickuchiha said:

December 4th, 8:09 am

But what if I happen to be a Nerdphin and know the answers by default?

Remy Karns's Avatar

Remy Karns said:

December 4th, 11:11 am

Then you don’t have to cheat!

Sometimes, a person playing the game will know one or two questions in the quiz. I think it adds to the immersive aspect: brief glimpse of hope, followed by sheer terror once you turn the page to the next impossible question ☺

wanX199A said:

December 4th, 8:15 am

then you will be made fun of and bullied for being a (nerd)phin lol :P

RyTeOuS said:

December 4th, 8:20 am

you get shoved in your locker :)

RyTeOuS said:

December 4th, 8:21 am

Since I know I am getting a PSVR any game is up for grabs for me

gamerinconstante said:

December 4th, 8:26 am

Need this game badly

Et13nn3M said:

December 4th, 8:26 am

Sounds interesting, but how long of a game can it be? Definitely want to try it though :)

Remy Karns's Avatar

Remy Karns said:

December 4th, 11:14 am

Each level takes about 5 minutes, including the demo that show at events.

We have a campaign full of different levels, with different teachers, and different ways that they’ll try to stop you from cheating, so it’ll definitely feel like a semester under the sea!

DeRR1ck19 said:

December 4th, 8:54 am

I played this in the Indie Lounge at PAX East last year and it was a blast! Glad to see it’s being ported to PlayStation VR! Will definitely buy, assuming it’s not outrageously priced.

Remy Karns's Avatar

Remy Karns said:

December 4th, 1:20 pm

PAX was a blast! We were so happy with the showing we had.

If you get the chance to come to PSX, you can see how much we’ve added to the game since then! It’s our pride and joy, this game.

DJ_Steve93 said:

December 4th, 9:15 am

Kinda seems like a waste of virtual reality….

paulogy said:

December 4th, 9:39 am

This looks hilarious, and the kind of game that could only taken place in VR :-). Having graduated a long time ago I vowed never to return, but I think I can make an exception here. I hope there’s an option to flip open the desk and play a little mini game from time to time, too.

Also, it seems like Octodad should exist in this world, somehow :-)

Remy Karns's Avatar

Remy Karns said:

December 4th, 11:08 am

We have solutely love Octodad! Very friendly people, very awesome game.

We’re definitely going to throw in a nod to them somewhere in to the game ☺

Hayades said:

December 4th, 11:21 am

Haha, love the concept. I really want to play this. One question tho, do PSVR games have trophies?

Remy Karns's Avatar

Remy Karns said:

December 4th, 2:22 pm

We’ll dolphinitely have trophies in our game.

Doctor_Hank_Pym said:

December 4th, 11:59 am

HA!!! I first saw this on PewDiePie and knew I had to own it someday. Glad it’s coming to the PS4!

Remy Karns's Avatar

Remy Karns said:

December 4th, 2:30 pm

That was a great video! One of the things we’re most proud of is that Classroom Aquatic is as fun to watch as it is to play. You can be sure there’ll be tons of videos when the full game is released :)

Reaper527_ said:

December 4th, 12:01 pm

this… actually sounds really interesting.

hopefully the ps:vr will launch at a reasonable pricepoint and it won’t be so expensive it ends up being dead on arrival.

MakoSOLIDER said:

December 4th, 12:27 pm

I’m a master cheater so this sounds like fun :)

death_nation100 said:

December 4th, 12:29 pm

Actually whenever humans are in the water with dolphins they usually will r*** you . No seriously .

RodCih said:

December 4th, 12:35 pm

Sony, I need VITA games, no VR games!!

Ind3structoman said:

December 4th, 12:47 pm

I love video games and I love dolphins. This game is right up my alley. I’m particularly interested to see the variety of teachers and their means of surveying their classrooms.

Remy Karns's Avatar

Remy Karns said:

December 4th, 2:26 pm

Each teacher has a distinct personality that comes out in the way they manage tests, and especially in the later parts of the campaign when they’re at the end of their ropes!

Amnalehu said:

December 4th, 1:26 pm

It’s good to see a variety of games coming for PSVR. This looks like game my whole family will enjoy!

clearwolves said:

December 4th, 2:11 pm

Any chance of an Endless Mode that uses RSS FEED to add non-scripted quizzes to the game like braingle.com?

Remy Karns's Avatar

Remy Karns said:

December 4th, 2:23 pm

Dunno about the RSS FEED option, but we do have a robust question editor that will allow players to make, share, and download question packs of their choice. As well, an endless mode (we call it an ‘open study session’) is in the works!

TubaDude49 said:

December 4th, 8:43 pm

Huh, I’m pretty sure I knew the answer to the only question pictured off the top of my head (480, right?). I got to interact with a newborn whale a while back, and that sounds like about how long the mother was pregnant.

How large is the question set? Do I get a detailed score report so I can study for future exams? I’d really like to see if I could get through without cheating, even if it meant retaking the class a few times.

Remy Karns's Avatar

Remy Karns said:

December 4th, 11:12 pm

The current question set is about 150 questions, and more are added every day. Lots of people go through without cheating– they just don’t do very well ☺

Correctly answered questions are added to a ‘study guide’ that you can check out in your Bathysphere Dorm room, and you can make custom quizzes to play in quick mode.

Britnipkoss said:

December 5th, 4:47 am

M­y l­a­s­t p­a­y c­h­e­c­k w­a­s $9­5­0­0 w­o­r­k­i­ng 1­2 h­o­u­rs a w­e­ek o­n­l­ine. M­y s­i­s­ter­s f­r­i­e­nd h­a­s b­e­e­n a­v­er­a­g­i­ng 1­5­k f­o­r m­o­n­t­h­s n­o­w a­n­d s­h­e w­o­r­k­s a­b­o­u­t 2­0 h­o­u­r­s a w­e­e­k. I c­a­n­’t b­e­l­i­e­v­e h­o­w e­a­s­y i­t w­a­s o­n­c­e I t­r­i­e­d i­t o­u­t. T­h­i­s i­s w­h­a­t I d­o… wallstreet34.com

Mega-Gazz said:

December 5th, 7:57 am

I just want to make sure that when you say “cheating and dolphins” – this isn’t a sequel to “Hatoful Boyfriend” is it?

Remy Karns's Avatar

Remy Karns said:

December 5th, 1:01 pm

I think any developer who doesn’t admit their game is a spiritual sequel to Hatoful Boyfriend is a liar.

MAW27 said:

December 5th, 2:03 pm

I honestly never would have thought taking a test would be something I would want to do, and especially not as a game. Somehow , dolphins make it ok. I’m gonna put that on a T-shirt.