Watch Dogs 2

Dec 05

REZ

Rez Infinite Revealed for PlayStation VR

REZ

Tetsuya Mizuguchi's Avatar Posted by on Dec 05, 2015 // President and CEO, Enhance Games

In 2001, together with my team at Sega, I made a game called Rez.

It was not your typical game. It’s a bit hard to explain in words, actually… you’re better off seeing (and hearing) it for yourself:

What do you think? Looks cool, right?

Well, to be honest, when the original Rez came out back in 2001, not everyone understood what we were trying to do with the game — but the few people that did “get it,” really got it. A dedicated and steadily growing number of fans called it visionary. Revolutionary. Ahead of its time.

With Rez Infinite, I feel like that time has finally come.

Now, almost 15 years later, it feels like the perfect time to introduce our game to a whole new generation of PlayStation hardware, and to a new generation of gamers, who I know are more open to experiences that don’t fit the traditional molds (and with today’s more flexible game pricing at retail and online, at a price that we can all feel good about).

Rez Infinite, Image 02

And, of course, very soon — and most personally exciting — we will have excellent quality, truly mass-market VR with PlayStation VR.

When I started working at Sega in the 1990s, I got involved in some arcade game VR projects like “Virtuality” and “Sega Rally Special Stage.” VR in those days was bulky, blurry, and slow. It was clear the technology wasn’t ready yet, but even that small taste had me dreaming of what might someday be possible.

Speaking of bulky and blurry, Rez was released at a time when most home console games were played on small 4:3 ratio tube TVs, with fuzzy pictures and sound that was barely stereo. It’s only playing Rez Infinite on a PS4, especially in VR mode but even on a nice, big, modern flat screen (Rez Infinite can be played both as a normal game or in VR, your choice), that the game comes closest to what we saw in our heads when we were creating it: vivid colors that blend seamlessly into one another, crystal-clear textures, and razor-sharp lines only possible at full 1080p HD, all swimming around you at the speed-of-life 60 frames per second (120 frames per second in PS VR), with full 3D audio (PS VR) or 7.1 surround sound (PS4) that, well, truly surrounds you.

Rez Infinite, Image 04

I know to some people that’s all just a bunch of numbers and technical mumbo-jumbo — and in a way, I agree. The only thing important about that technology for Rez Infinite is how it makes you feel; hopefully, it makes it easier to forget the fact that you’re sitting in front of a TV playing a game, and instead lets the real world melt away into a swirl of incredible sights and sounds that could only ever exist in your imagination.

That’s exactly how we want players to feel — that they aren’t just playing Rez Infinite, they’re living it. Rez Infinite is the futuristic “synesthesia” experience I’ve wanted to create from the beginning.

Rez Infinite, Image 05

Engaging all your senses was also the idea behind the original Trance Vibrator, an optional peripheral we designed to plug into PS2 and pulse along to the beat of the music and sound effects in the original Rez. Since we’re now making the ultimate version of Rez with Rez Infinite, we thought, why not also make the ultimate version of the Trance Vibrator? And thus, the Synesthesia Suit was born.

Rez_Infinite_Suit_04

This one you don’t just need to see and hear, but also really need to feel for yourself. This is a special promotional item and there will only ever be one of these in the world. If you’re one of the lucky few, you can try it at PlayStation Experience!

Rez Infinite, Image 07

If not, hopefully there’ll be other opportunities in the future — as there will be to talk more about our plans for (and all the features of) Rez Infinite, very soon.

Our time is coming, my friends. I hope you’ll be there for it.

More PlayStation News from PlayStation Experience 2015

The Modern Zombie Taxi Co. Announced for PlayStation VR

Fat Princess Adventures Out Today on PS4

Invisible, Inc. and Balancing the Endless Mode

PS Now: 12-Month Subscription for $99.99, 9 New Games from WB

14 Comments

+ ChaoofNee on December 5th, 2015 at 1:10 pm said:

Playing this on every platform from Dreamcast forward has been like experiencing the stages of the Rez player character as she evolves. Can’t wait to play this!

+ FuturisticCasket on December 5th, 2015 at 1:39 pm said:

Wow was literally going through my ps2 games thinking this would be a great addition to the ps2 on ps4 line. So awesome that a remake is coming and to VR no less. Cant wait to hear more about this.

+ Septrelo on December 5th, 2015 at 5:55 pm said:

Absolutely gorgeous! Wow. This is way up there among the many minimalist / cel-shaded indies.

+ Korahn27 on December 5th, 2015 at 6:42 pm said:

Loved it on PS2 and Rez D was one of the first games I grabbed on XBLA. I’m just wondering if this version is bringing anything new. Rez HD still looks pretty good. Sure there’s the VR, but until THAT is given a reasonable price and more support, I doubt it will make its way into my home. Nor is there any way for me to try it out first either.

+ ForSpareParts on December 6th, 2015 at 2:16 pm said:

The reveal video from the show said something about an “Area X.” Sounds like it’s probably new content.

+ iREVOLTER on December 6th, 2015 at 3:21 am said:

Still one of my favorite DC game! Cant wait for a full surround immersion on PSVR.

+ Vaichevengo on December 6th, 2015 at 8:47 am said:

Wow, can’t wait to play one of my fav games ever again. I hope the original trance vibrator will be supported. Mizugichi for president.

+ Jotamide on December 6th, 2015 at 11:51 am said:

REZ on VR makes so much sense! I hope it does well enough to be able to see Child on Eden on VR since I adore that game as well. I wish the best for Tetsuya and company while I patiently wait for the coming of Space Channel 5 Part 3!

+ opikal on December 6th, 2015 at 2:07 pm said:

What about child of eden? That game is amazing on a 3DTV, it would be 100x better with VR.

+ Logan22 on December 8th, 2015 at 10:12 pm said:

Yea, Move + 3D with that game is probably the closest thing to this Rez VR. I’m sure they’re thinking about it and will see depending on this’ success.

+ hdcase on December 6th, 2015 at 2:18 pm said:

This was the best news of 2015!!! Thank you so much for bringing this game to VR. It has been a dream of mine since I played the PS2 version, before consumer grade VR even seemed possible.

Tetsuya, please make a special edition with the rumble vest that this game was demo’d with at PSX. Words can’t describe how badly I want one and I am willing to pay an embarrassing premium for it! Thanks again.

+ asarien on December 6th, 2015 at 2:29 pm said:

You best believe, Mizuguchi-san, I am one of the few who “got it.” I am deeply saddened Rez HD wasn’t released on PlayStation 3, but you best believe I will be purchasing Rez Infinite and its soundtrack the minute they’re released.

I’m greatly looking forward to this.

+ Nemuren on December 7th, 2015 at 8:39 am said:

I have adored Rez since I played it on Dreamcast and it is one of my very favorite games. However, I was disappointed with Rez HD for the 360 because the pitch of the music was noticeably changed in places, particularly Areas 2 and 4. (This brief video contains a comparison of a section of Area 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK8Jh_Lr-aA). This change made the music sound less pleasing than it did originally and in a game where music is critical for the experience, it was a major letdown. I really want to be excited for Rez Infinite, but if this trailer is any indication (the Area 4 boss fight is prominently featured), it sounds like it will have the same audio changes as Rez HD. I hope the original audio can be restored for Rez Infinite, or perhaps allowed as a option.

+ plaztiksyke on December 7th, 2015 at 4:01 pm said:

best reveal of the show for me, I think. I absolutely love playing Child of Eden on my 3D projector — at ~130″ in stereo 3D, it’s almost like a VR experience itself despite the framerate/resolution limitations of the PS3.

I’m so happy that Rez Infinite will support 3DTV as well as PS VR, and 7.1 surround sound. I hope the sound/music assets are all 24-bit/lossless encoding as well!

I hope that Child of Eden also comes to PS4/PSVR!