PlayStation Vue

Dec 07

20504275739_cc9b06f305_o

PlayStation Messages App Coming to iOS and Android Devices Today

John Koller's Avatar Posted by on Dec 07, 2015 // Vice President, PlayStation Brand Marketing, SCEA

Connecting with friends on PlayStation Network is about to get even easier with the PlayStation Messages app for iOS and Android devices, available now. This app gives you a dedicated interface to quickly send messages to people on your friends list, right from your phone. Want to check if your friends are ready for a round of Zombies in Call of Duty: Black Ops III? The Messages app gives you an easy way to gather the team.

PlayStation Messages (iOS) 05PlayStation Messages (Android) 07

We know that Messages is the most used feature of the PlayStation App, so we created the standalone PlayStation Messages app with a more streamlined design in order to get you into your Messages and communicating with your friends faster than ever before.

The app will display your full friends list, sorted by online status or alphabetically. It will also show any Favorite Groups you’ve added to message several people at once. You can send text or voice messages, as well as stickers and attachments.

PlayStation Messages (iOS) 04PlayStation Messages (Android) 03

Making PS4 a socially connected experience has always been one of our core goals, and we think this app will help enhance that connectivity even further. Download the app and let us know what you think in the comments below!

109 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ jchill001 on December 7th, 2015 at 8:36 pm said:

This is TOTALLY what we’ve been asking for…

+ AizawaYuuichi on December 8th, 2015 at 2:03 am said:

And the development of this app by a mobile application development team TOTALLY took away from the resources needed to make “what we’ve been asking for…”, whatever that means.

/s

+ DirjelJunshin on December 8th, 2015 at 6:32 am said:

Heck yeah it is! This is great news!

+ Circuitburnout on December 8th, 2015 at 10:31 am said:

Who’s “We”? Don’t lump me in with your Negative Nancy self

+ Aeolus426 on December 8th, 2015 at 6:12 pm said:

Yeah seriously, who’s we? I’ve been able to message my friends on my galaxy for some time now with the PSN app. why does this need to exist?

+ deaf-mute85 on December 16th, 2015 at 5:05 pm said:

Eh why even bother? I’m appalled at how little Sony/Playstation actually takes the time to listen to feedback from customers. I agree that you should’ve just taken extra time to integrate the new messaging app features into the existing PS app. Actually I agree that the PS app just needs to be updated/streamlined/overhauled. Playstation is the top dog in the console market but that’s all Sony really has going for them. PS Vita/TV has been tanking since their release. Nobody’s really buying Vaio or Walkman anymore either. Much less Ericsson and Xperia. You 86ed Playstation mobile a while ago and the Vita has become a lackluster effort. It’s a real shame that you don’t spend much time protecting your namesake these days. Idk guys, step up your A Game.

+ slikstudio on December 7th, 2015 at 8:36 pm said:

Why is there no direct link in this blog post? But this is awesome, resourcing since typing in a phone is significantly easier than typing on the ds4

+ SHARINGAN_JP on December 7th, 2015 at 8:37 pm said:

will vita get the update or not to the message app?

+ MiiAmigo on December 7th, 2015 at 8:42 pm said:

I don’t see it in the iOS App Store.

+ andrew_pohuliai on December 7th, 2015 at 8:46 pm said:

OK, off to the store to buy an android phone…

+ MakaiOokami on December 8th, 2015 at 5:16 am said:

Tablet will give you more bang for hte buck.

+ TheJuice5 on December 7th, 2015 at 8:47 pm said:

Finally. the other app is atrocious with messaging.

+ insano_jaco on December 7th, 2015 at 8:55 pm said:

This is really cool!
Any chance to see Communities integrated in one of the apps?

+ BlueBl1zzard on December 9th, 2015 at 4:18 pm said:

+1 this idea!

+ kcatriel on December 7th, 2015 at 9:04 pm said:

Why Sony only supports U.S.?

+ jvasq on December 8th, 2015 at 10:11 am said:

because ‘Murica

+ Tyger0 on December 8th, 2015 at 11:50 am said:

I don’t know, maybe they don’t and you’re just driving yourself crazy being logged into the US blog with all the American related news.

+ Senjutsu_Dav on December 7th, 2015 at 9:06 pm said:

Niice, I’ll use it a lot more now. It would be nice to have a PSN Store app too. The Web page works on mobile but it’s not as nice as a dedicated app. I’ll check it out right now.

+ Saiyan1337 on December 10th, 2015 at 2:53 pm said:

OH I SO AGREE!!!!! PSN Store App +1 do it plz Sony! <3

+ thuginomix on December 7th, 2015 at 9:18 pm said:

Separating the Messaging portion of the PlayStation App to make it it’s own thing is really stupid.

+ Senjutsu_Dav on December 7th, 2015 at 10:46 pm said:

I don’t use the rest of the app, I always found it stupid to be inside another app that I did not use.

+ LeeorV on December 7th, 2015 at 11:20 pm said:

Is it though? The Playstation App is good for Second screen features, checking your playstation notifications, checking trophies, and/or using the PS Store.

The messages section is bulky and takes too long to update when getting a message, having a separate App for it with much better performance will help tremendously

+ komentra on December 8th, 2015 at 12:19 am said:

I’m with you completely.
    Just another app to take up my home screen.

+ MakaiOokami on December 8th, 2015 at 5:20 am said:

-Thuginomix I get signed out of the Playstation app every once in a while and have issues connecting every once in a while.

If this messages app will fix that it will make keeping in contact with PSN friends while out and about SOooo much easier.

-Komentra You don’t have to download it, you don’t have to use it, don’t you have folders or something on IOS yet? If you’re complaining about it taking up room on your homescreen on android, then you need to learn how to use your phone.

+ cronqvist on December 7th, 2015 at 9:18 pm said:

Apparently it makes more sense to release ANOTHER messaging mobile app to the world than to port the PlayStation app for Windows devices. Couldn’t you at least open up the API so talented developers can make a decent app for us Windows fans? (Yes, we exist.)

+ Audi_S4-HB84 on December 7th, 2015 at 10:38 pm said:

Completely agree. Sucks to be left out as a Windows fan.

+ Senjutsu_Dav on December 7th, 2015 at 10:47 pm said:

I thought there were only a legend!! :|

+ MakaiOokami on December 8th, 2015 at 5:31 am said:

96% of the smartphone market is Android and IOS.

Microsoft almost makes up 3%

When you are 3% of the market… well… You’ll have to hope that they do a Windows 10 app and make the app compatible with windows phone 10 as well.

+ Lexangel on December 8th, 2015 at 3:43 pm said:

Agree 100%!

+ zu-fox on December 7th, 2015 at 10:01 pm said:

Is it only for US and oficially supported regions? It’s 2015 — people play PS worldwide, guys.

+ PatricioUSA on December 7th, 2015 at 10:36 pm said:

Downloading from Argentina….

+ Senjutsu_Dav on December 7th, 2015 at 10:47 pm said:

Well I have it in Canada.

+ Tijder on December 8th, 2015 at 2:41 am said:

Also in the eu. I think they release it worldwide.

+ al2009man on December 8th, 2015 at 3:58 am said:

I despites region lock.

Sadly the only way to get that app is neither finding the APK file on Android Devices, or changing ur original region to the supported ones in iOS.

+ Exebiel on December 10th, 2015 at 10:16 am said:

I’m from Perú and this app is working like a charm. Tested already with some friends and loads messages hella fast.

+ MLGNINJATURTLE on December 7th, 2015 at 10:15 pm said:

No windows phone version? come on sony

+ MakaiOokami on December 8th, 2015 at 5:33 am said:

You guys are 2.6% of the phone market. How can you expect them to spend 33% of their time working on a windows phone app when you’re actually less than 10% representative of the time?

If you had a blackberry would you expect a blackberry app?

+ R3co on December 7th, 2015 at 10:36 pm said:

A download links would be handy in the original post

+ Senjutsu_Dav on December 7th, 2015 at 10:48 pm said:

Good point

+ Blkant on December 7th, 2015 at 11:18 pm said:

I could really use an application like this for OS X. I’m on my computer more than my phone.

+ N3W-JOSH on December 7th, 2015 at 11:24 pm said:

No windows 10 app? I am beginning to see a trend here and I wonder how successful your remote play app for PC is going to be if it only comes out for Mac and Linux. Many many many… PlayStation customers are currently using Windows. Any particular reason to neglect them apart from being users of a Microsoft OS?

+ Kaiser_ on December 7th, 2015 at 11:35 pm said:

I honestly can’t believe a PlayStation app has Material Design, it’s great. Huge props to the Devs that made this (: Now just add VOIP in there and also release a desktop application and then I could finally ditch Hangouts.

+ komentra on December 8th, 2015 at 12:17 am said:

So I have to use two apps for what one app previously done?
I do not understand.

+ AizawaYuuichi on December 8th, 2015 at 2:01 am said:

I didn’t see them saying they’re removing the Messages area from the PS app. This is simply an additional application. Use at your own discretion. Or don’t. Simple.

+ BlindMango on December 8th, 2015 at 2:43 am said:

Yeah, they’ve actually disabled messaging in the main PlayStation app, so now you have to download a second app to send messages.

+ opikal on December 8th, 2015 at 7:59 am said:

Hi @blindmango from psnprofiles!

+ BlindMango on December 8th, 2015 at 1:05 pm said:

What’s up opikal! =D

+ NIGHT_SHADOW_007 on December 11th, 2015 at 4:18 am said:

Me either!!! To everyone saying “just don’t use it & use the regular app” No, this does not work! It will not allow us to use regular messaging app anymore. Plus, my main argument is, the only friends that will show up is the ones you are currently talking with. So if you wanna talk with another friend, you have to go back to other app and select them to message & then go over to new app for actual messaging. This takes extra time- too mNy steps to get started is the huge downfall…
    Fix that & it wouldn’t be so bad..

+ SpyDudeFX on December 8th, 2015 at 12:53 am said:

Why was the option to disable vibrate alerts eliminated with this new app? @_@

+ AngryChad on December 8th, 2015 at 2:17 am said:

If you could break out all functionality into individual apps that would be great. Why have just one app that does everything when I can have 23 that all need to be signed into and launched separately?

+ Orpheus_Aeons on December 8th, 2015 at 3:48 pm said:

LOL x’D

+ BlindMango on December 8th, 2015 at 2:50 am said:

I appreciate the app devs over at PlayStation making a really nice application for messaging, the current main PlayStation app feels so dated as if it were created in 2009, so this feels like a great improvement. That being said, I’m unsure why there now needs to be a completely separate app to use a function that I could do previously in the PS App – the PlayStation mobile experience now feels even more “all over the place” than it already was, selecting many things in this app now shoots me back and forth through both of the apps like a theme park ride.

In all honesty, the main PlayStation app needs a complete visual and technical overhaul, how the messaging app is a great start but trophies, profile, store purchasing, livestreaming, and so on need to be added to that with the same visual cleanness and flow along with the nice technical functionality.

In other words I’d like to see everything back in one single app at some point in the future, all with the quality of the PS Messages app, but all together in one app.

+ TheCraZyCloWn on December 9th, 2015 at 7:04 am said:

Well said.

+ behrooz_zahedi on December 8th, 2015 at 3:05 am said:

okay this is good news, thanks SONY, but i’m mostly waiting 4 Remote Play for PC ! thanks before <3

+ xarienne on December 8th, 2015 at 4:05 am said:

Uh-uh. NO.

Not unless you add in a DARK background option (like in the main PSN app).

I don’t like being BLINDED by bright white backgrounds when I’m trying to use an app at night or in the early morning.

Being able to message from an app is super-convenient, but I guess I’ll have to go back to using my consoles (which is super-INconvenient) for that until you make a DARK theme available.

+ falconbox on December 8th, 2015 at 8:20 am said:

Blinded? Are your eyes that sensitive? Wow, people will complain about anything now.

+ Strangeheaven on December 8th, 2015 at 4:45 am said:

FOLDERS should be the number 1 priority. The Library section is a complete mess.

+ MarkUs_NL on December 8th, 2015 at 6:13 am said:

Does the app have Friend Online/Offline Notifications ;)

– couldn’t resist.

+ KingWulfgar42 on December 8th, 2015 at 6:58 am said:

This is going the wrong way. It should just be one app. I don’t want multiple apps from the same service cluttering up my phone.

+ GLiTcH2 on December 8th, 2015 at 7:02 am said:

This new app is way better for messaging so I am loving it, However certain things can only be done in the Playstation App…. This is a bit ridiculous messing around with two different apps!!!!

+ Kaznasty- on December 8th, 2015 at 7:13 am said:

This really needs to have a Community feature as well. I communicate with Communities just as much if not more than I do with individuals.

+ Highpark_united on December 8th, 2015 at 7:17 am said:

Works great although I didn’t want another seperate app am just glad that annoying default notification sound is gone and I can leave group messages without logging in to the ps4

+ ChaseHammerJ on December 8th, 2015 at 7:34 am said:

Why was this not integrated in the regular PlayStation App? No thanks.

+ NerdyJustin on December 8th, 2015 at 7:35 am said:

I hardly ever comment on these things, but as a Windows Phone user, we could use more attention by bigger companies for app development. Windows Phone Apps are extremely stable compared to others are are much easier to reconfigure and support. Please bring development of this to the Windows Phone.

+ guitarded77 on December 8th, 2015 at 7:50 am said:

Bring this and the PS App to WINDOWS PHONE!!! Why are you not showing us any love?

+ Ryusennin on December 8th, 2015 at 7:54 am said:

Fantastic. Yet another pointless messaging app.

+ xeno3d on December 8th, 2015 at 8:31 am said:

Please Sony, bring the option to remote play my PS4 on my iPad……

+ LilRican on December 8th, 2015 at 8:36 am said:

Those who hate that ugly white back ground there is a way to make it black

If your jailbroken on a iPhone download a tweak called eclipse.

+ Anupu on December 8th, 2015 at 8:56 am said:

Lots of people send short messages in the message subject alone. We need to be able to see that.

+ PanTheMan16 on December 8th, 2015 at 8:58 am said:

I liked the idea of this since the PS app is slow, but the messages app is worse, as there is still no rotation to view messages in landscape, and I can’t zoom in on screenshots in messages like i can in the regular PS app.
It was a good idea, in theory, but executed poorly. I immediately uninstalled the new “Messages” app.

+ Orpheus_Aeons on December 8th, 2015 at 3:58 pm said:

LOL, Don’t tell me you’re actually surprised by that.

That’s 100% Sony: “a good idea, in theory, but executed poorly”.

xD

+ Transient on December 8th, 2015 at 9:19 am said:

I don’t understand why this had to be split into a separate app. Yes, the messaging in the old app sucked, but you could have just fixed it rather than waste your time developing a second app that nobody wanted.

Here’s an idea: Maybe look at the features people are actually asking for and work on those instead. It always amazes me that these ideas are treated with such a low priority. Most developers would love to have the type of feedback you get, yet you routinely ignore it, just like you’ll ignore the feedback here.

+ Reaper527_ on December 8th, 2015 at 10:00 am said:

how about making the main playstation app a good messenger so we don’t need multiple apps flooding our app list?

+ Larzz77 on December 8th, 2015 at 10:14 am said:

great, now I got 2 PS apps on my phone.

+ ElektroDragon on December 8th, 2015 at 10:52 am said:

Great move Sony, but what if I have both PS and the Messenging apps installed? Will I get double notifications?

+ bestscreenname on December 8th, 2015 at 10:58 am said:

Wait what? You’re telling me after 2 years of complaints about how the app hardly works, you’re going to go ahead an introduce a separate app just for chatting? Oh Sony, wtf happened to you? You do know that re-releasing things isnt the only way to stay in business right?

+ Bryentman on December 8th, 2015 at 2:34 pm said:

Sorry your iPhone 3 is having trouble

+ JMBlakk on December 8th, 2015 at 11:31 am said:

Who the hell is Gina and Naomi and why aren’t they on my friend’s list. But seriously this is cool just didn’t think I needed 2 apps to send messages maybe I’ll be able to send and receive quicker on my phone. Wish this also linked to the playstation forums

+ Betogalado on December 8th, 2015 at 12:18 pm said:

Agree with people asking for Windows Phone Playstation App…
Come on devs, do it please!
We know Xbox is a Microsoft product but it doesn’t mean its phone can’t have an official Playstation app.
Do it! For us, the players.

+ Su7vK1s7 on December 8th, 2015 at 1:33 pm said:

And yet we still don’t get a SoundCloud streaming app…

+ Solid-Snake-Eyes on December 8th, 2015 at 1:52 pm said:

This is really inconvenient, just keep it all in one app. If the old app still works for messaging then never mind, but the latest update for the old app told me that I have to start using the new one if I want to continue using messages.

+ Link01 on December 8th, 2015 at 2:36 pm said:

…… um, it’s not really inconvenient. Do you use mobile apps at all, this kind of thing has been a standard since Facebook started parsing large apps into sub apps. Frankly, it makes the code base clearer and the app far better.

+ Bryentman on December 8th, 2015 at 2:33 pm said:

Okay but,

Don’t forget to get online tonight guys

+ Link01 on December 8th, 2015 at 2:35 pm said:

Thank god, finally.. you’ve listened!

+ KidSqueek on December 8th, 2015 at 2:44 pm said:

When will the Playstation iOS app get updated with iPhone 6 Plus / 6S Plus optimization? It doesn’t look good since my iPhone 6S Plus has to enlarge the app to fit my entire screen. The PS Messages app, however, looks really good.

+ Mando44646 on December 8th, 2015 at 3:00 pm said:

Why isnt this just part of the normal PS app?

PAGE 1 2