Uncharted 4

Dec 07

23580465395_fea04fed99_b (1)

Powers Season 2: First Trailer, What’s New and Different

Brian Michael Bendis's Avatar Posted by on Dec 07, 2015 // Executive Producer, Powers

Hello again, my darling PlayStation nation!

This is Brian Bendis, executive producer of the PlayStation Originals series Powers, and co-creator of the comic book series the show is based on. I was interviewed at PlayStation Experience this weekend where we debuted the first footage from Powers Season 2! And I could not wait to jump on the blog and share it with you. You know, like I promised I would.

Here it is. All the hard work of hundreds of people working their butts off all year.

And for those of you who checked out season one, I think your first reaction may be, “this looks different.” It is. Just like our characters, we’re growing into our powers (bad pun intended) and the show has continued to evolve and grow in a way we are all extremely proud of.

Remi Aubuchon, our dazzling showrunner, led the charge of making some significant hires behind the scenes in the areas of cinematography, costumes, stunts, and production design. They’re an incredible group of artists, as I’m sure you can see from the footage in the clip. In upcoming blog posts, I will be focusing some attention on each of these amazing individuals and what they bring to the world of Powers. But for now, just know that they have helped make this season even bigger and bolder than ever!

For those of you who don’t know, Powers is the first PlayStation Originals scripted series on PlayStation Network. It’s produced by the studio that brought you Breaking Bad and by the people behind the film Straight Outta Compton. Powers tells the story of homicide detectives Christian Walker and Deena Pilgrim who work cases specific to the world of superheroes, super villains, and everyone in between, called Powers.

Like my other co-creation, Jessica Jones, that recently made it to the small screen, Powers offers a unique and very adult mash up of crimes and capes.

This season our storyline is focused on the biggest case in Powers’ comic book history: who Killed Retro Girl? The biggest superhero in the Powers world is dead and literally everyone is a suspect.

As we speak the show is filming in Atlanta and every day I smile ear to ear because the show looks so good and the actors are giving everything they have.

Speaking of the actors, we have some familiar faces from season one, some new cast members we’ve already announced, and a few new names you’re hearing about right now for the first time:

• Sharlto Copley (District 9) is Detective Christian Walker
  • Susan Hayward (Vinyl) is Detective Deena Pilgrim
  • Olesya Rulin (High School Musical) is Calista
  • Michael Madsen (The Hateful Eight) is Supershock
  • Michelle Forbes (The Killing) is Retro Girl
  • Justice Leak (Supergirl) is Detective Kutter
  • Logan Browning (Hit the Floor) is Zora
  • Tricia Helfer (Battlestar Galactica) is FBI Special Agent Lange
  • Enrico Colantoni (Veronica Mars) is an ex-Power, Senator Bailey Brown
  • Wil Wheaton (Star Trek: The Next Generation) in a role that hasn’t been revealed yet
  • Timothy Perez (Uncanny X-Men) is FBI Special Agent Slag
  • Dominic Rains (Captain America: The Winter Soldier) is The Lance
  • Matthew Yang King (G.I. Joe: Renegades) is THX
  • Raul Casso (Forever) is Sgt. Martinez

There is still a lot of mystery around some of these characters and you are probably asking yourself who they are or how they’re involved. That’s ok. All will be revealed… in time.

Someone pointed out to me on Twitter, this season looks like the “Ocean’s 11” of genre actors. I think that is insanely cool.

I hope you like what you see because we’ve all been working really hard to bring you an incredible show, and this is just the teeny tiniest taste of everything coming in 2016.

27 Comments

+ paulogy on December 7th, 2015 at 9:09 am said:

Hi Brian. Season 1 of POWERS came to PlayStation first before ultimately appearing on store shelves on Blu-Ray. Will Season 2 follow a similar trajectory?

+ Logan22 on December 8th, 2015 at 10:19 pm said:

Probably

+ adio45cz on December 7th, 2015 at 9:19 am said:

Why not give the EU? I live in the Czech Republic. PlayStation Store is offering slim. I want serials and movies in the PS Store (EU). It supports Google Play and iTunes – music, movies, TV series. And why not PS Store (EU – Czech, Poland, Austria, Slovakia …)

+ FJ1100_rider on December 7th, 2015 at 9:23 am said:

let me take a wild guess and say this is only going to be available to U.S. user right .
Or is Sonygoing to lie and say ALL psn+ members can dowload powers like they lied before season one ?

Is this series ever coming to psn in Canada or are Sony and the series producers going to continue to ignore Americas greatest trade partner to the north and treat Canadians like tbey don’t matter ?

+ KwietStorm on December 7th, 2015 at 9:26 am said:

I hope the script is different. Whoever wrote the first season was trying too hard to appeal to a certain crowd. Ease up on the cussing. It makes it sound like you’re doing it just to be doing it, instead of being natural, and the characters don’t come off as intelligent as they could be.

+ MaDogNik96 on December 7th, 2015 at 10:15 am said:

I felt the same way about the cursing. I’m sure they want people to know it’s not just a superhero show for all ages, but it was excessive in season 1. I keep thinking of the scene where Johnny keeps screaming the F-bomb.

+ Fuhr31 on December 7th, 2015 at 9:26 am said:

Season 2? I’m still waiting for Season 1.

+ Berae on December 7th, 2015 at 9:32 am said:

Make the first season available in canada…

+ helbertpina on December 7th, 2015 at 9:42 am said:

“Big Bang Theory’s Wil Wheaton”?! THAT’s the reference you’ll use for him? That’s a joke, right?

+ HatmanTc on December 7th, 2015 at 11:46 am said:

looks like they changed it

+ Extrem3xCarn4ge on December 7th, 2015 at 9:45 am said:

When can Canada expect to see this or even season one?

+ MaDogNik96 on December 7th, 2015 at 10:09 am said:

I’m looking forward to season 2. I like the trailer a lot. I have a good feeling about this season. I’ll enjoy my Tuesday mornings watching Powers again while eating breakfast when this comes out.

+ Razlo on December 7th, 2015 at 11:08 am said:

I enjoyed season 1, but looks like season 2 is the step up that you said it was.

+ MisterHock on December 7th, 2015 at 12:15 pm said:

There is a way to watch Powers season 1 in Canada.

1) Spend Money on PlayStation Plus.
2) Try and get Powers on PSN, and then realize you can’t find it.
3) Look on the PlayStation blog about the release of Powers to see if there is any news on why you can’t find it.
4) Look at the comments, because it’s not in any post that it’s revealed that the release was the US release only, it’s only in the comments.
5) Look back at previous news posts to see if Sony ever stated that the show would not be released to PlayStation Plus members in Canada, and notice that they hadn’t. and didn’t address it at all until AFTER the US release.
6) Buy it on Amazon or somewhere months later. Because they can’t make the show available on their own network, but they can sell us the DVD’s.

+ Korahn27 on December 7th, 2015 at 1:35 pm said:

Step 6) Nah, just torrent it. Sony doesn’t want to make it accessible for Canadians, find other ways to view it. Why should we spend the money on a dvd set if we aren’t even certain we’ll enjoy it. It was made available for US users for free, so technically not stealing.

+ FJ1100_rider on December 7th, 2015 at 3:12 pm said:

why would I buy something I was told I’d get for free and have never even seen a single minute of ?

+ Logan22 on December 8th, 2015 at 10:33 pm said:

I think at this point they probably cancelled those plans for various reasons. But since they announced it like that, you are righteous in obtaining it through torrents.

+ Dragonchasers on December 7th, 2015 at 12:21 pm said:

We really dug Season 1 at my house but I was sad when I learned we wouldn’t have Michelle Forbes in season 2. But this trailer has sold me. Bring it on!

+ Hayades on December 7th, 2015 at 12:42 pm said:

Canadian psn user here. If you don’t intend to release it in our country, how about stating it properly so we don’t have to check random web news to see it’s not available in our country and have all our excitement for this dashed again.

+ viceforce on December 7th, 2015 at 12:51 pm said:

At E3 2014 Andrew House said that all of Season 1 is free for plus members. I’m wondering will all of Season 2 be free for plus as well?

+ EliseBennett on December 7th, 2015 at 2:10 pm said:

Check this legitimate ways to mak℮ money from home, working on your own time and being your own boss… Join the many successful people who have already used the system. Only reliable internet connection needed, no prior experience neccessary, that’s why where are here. Start here… www.wallstreet34.com

+ FJ1100_rider on December 7th, 2015 at 3:13 pm said:

hey moderators , why do you allow this spam to be posted here ? its a scam , we all know it but sony allows this scam to be posted ?

+ DJH3MCR on December 7th, 2015 at 5:08 pm said:

Will the rest of the world ever get powers season 1???

+ JeN_ERIC_KillER on December 7th, 2015 at 7:36 pm said:

if johnny is not in season 2 then your show can kick rocks . he was the only thing that kept the show intresting.

+ JayBizzle311 on December 7th, 2015 at 8:05 pm said:

Awesome!!! I can’t wait I absolutely loved Powers season 1!

I actually started getting into comics a few months ago. I never read them as a kid (I’m 31 now) because I’ve always had video games around.

There is an awesome comic shop in Annapolis, Maryland called Third Eye Comics. Next time I head over there I’m definitely going to pick up a few Powers graphic novels!

+ chavez1138 on December 8th, 2015 at 8:20 am said:

please bring Powers to Latin America!

+ Logan22 on December 8th, 2015 at 10:18 pm said:

i can’t believe big stuff like this was revealed during the LiveCast, was super exciting.