Dec 31

23397024642_23bc8495f4_z (1)

PlayStation Developers on 2016’s Most Anticipated Games

23397024642_23bc8495f4_z (1)

Fred Dutton's Avatar Posted by on Dec 31, 2015 // SCEE Blog Manager

Earlier this week we found out what the stand-out gaming moments for PlayStation developers were in 2015. As promised, today we’re going to find out which games the same group of razor-sharp creative minds are most looking forward to getting their hands on in 2016. Read on to find out, and then chime in with your own picks in the comments below.

Oh, and a pre-emptive Happy New Year from everyone here at PlayStation. Whatever you have planned, have a great evening. See you in ’16!

Paul Rustchynsky, Game Director (Driveclub), Evolution Studios

“As much as I’m excited to play the latest entry in the Uncharted series or try something as intriguing as The Witness, my inner Souls fan is getting more and more hyped for Dark Souls III by the day. I’m already preparing myself to die over and over again!”

Aki Raula, Lead Designer (Matterfall); Housemarque

“One more romp from Naughty Dog in the adventure lands with Nathan Drake. Just a one of a kind experience and now I can’t wait to get sucked in again with Uncharted 4.”

Adrian Chmielarz, Creative Director (The Vanishing of Ethan Carter), The Astronauts
“If I had to choose just one, it’d be Mass Effect: Andromeda. The first trilogy was incredible, and the mind boggles when I imagine what’s in store for us in this new installment of the series.”

Mare Sheppard, Co-founder, Metanet Software (N++)

“Rain World. Absolutely everything about how the game looks and feels is fresh and inspiring. We love how it’s a bold vision that stands apart from every other game, on many levels. We really can’t wait to play it :)”

Mike Bithell, Founder, Mike Bithell Games (Volume)

“2016 looks like a bumper year for fantastic games. Like everyone else I’m eagerly awaiting No Man’s Sky, but games like Adr1ft, Overland and Firewatch have me seriously excited. A new generation of teams are creating some fantastic experiences. I suspect I’d be very hyped for PlayStation VR too… if I hadn’t already fallen in love with my devkit.”

Tom Jones, Principal Artist (RIGS Mechanized Combat League), Guerrilla Cambridge

“There are loads. Aside from RIGS and Horizon Zero Dawn (excuse the obvious plug!) I’m really keen to play The Last Guardian. Team Ico has a stellar history with games like Shadow of the Colossus and Ico, so I’m expecting big things from its latest offering!”

Shahid Ahmad, Developer

“The title I’m most looking forward to in 2016 is No Man’s Sky. How could it be anything else? It’s the game I’ve been looking forward to all my life.”

Peter Field, Game Designer (Dreams), Media Molecule

“Oh man, there are so many! It’s probably a close call between The Witness and No Man’s Sky. I think The Witness is currently more intriguing so if I had to choose one I’d go with that.”

Simon Harris, Executive Producer (Until Dawn: Rush of Blood), Supermassive Games

“At the risk of sounding slightly ‘on message’, I have to say Uncharted 4. I love the genre of action storytelling titles and the Uncharted series has delivered through the previous three titles, each time getting bigger and more bombastic. I can’t wait to see what Nathan Drake gets up to in the fourth episode.”

Thomas Grip, Co-founder, Frictional Games (SOMA)

“As a massive fan of Shadow of The Colossus, The Last Guardian is the one I am the most excited about.”

Jun Yoshino, Producer (Bloodborne), SCEE

“So many to choose from! Street Fighter V, Uncharted 4, Doom, Dark Souls 3, Final Fantasy XV… but the standout one for me is Persona 5.”

Dominic Matthews, Product Development Manager (Hellblade), Ninja Theory

“In 2016 I’m most looking forward to seeing VR become a reality for gamers. Every time I put on a VR headset I make a funny little chirping noise of delight. 100% of the time. I can’t wait to see the immersive worlds and experiences that lay ahead.”

Pekka Kujansuu, Gameplay Programmer (Alienation), Housemarque

“I’m intrigued by The Witness. It sounds like there’s something beneath the surface. If there isn’t, I still like puzzle games and I expect The Witness to be a good one. Oh, and of course Dark Souls III also.”

Brynley Gibson, Executive Producer (PlayStation VR), SCE London Studio

“What I’m looking forward to most in 2016 has got to be the release of PlayStation VR! I may be developing for it but I want one at home. 2016 is the year of VR. It’s the start of a journey that is going to change the landscape of gaming forever. There are already a great selection of titles announced and I can’t wait to play all these new experiences.”

Rex Crowle, Lead Creator (Tearaway Unfolded), Media Molecule

“I will have to say Wattam. I don’t know when it’s coming out but I just want to see more of it, because it’s so personal and different. It just fills me with happiness that it exists and there continues to be a place in games for humour and experimentation and pooping.”

Dylan Cuthbert, Founder, Q-Games (The Tomorrow Children)

“The Tomorrow Children! I’m thoroughly addicted to it in internal testing and I can’t wait to see it populated and travel to people’s towns. I don’t think anyone has grasped how big and fun this game is yet because we only show little snippets – the scale is crazy.

“I’m also looking forward to Uncharted 4 of course! Our friends at Naughty Dog have been burning the midnight oil on that one and I can’t wait to see it.”

Simon Bennett, Co-founder, Roll7 (OlliOlli 2: Welcome to Olliwood)

“I guess that would have to be the awesome No Man’s Sky from our mates at Hello Games, can’t wait to explore that world!”

Luke Borrett, Producer (Hatoful Boyfriend), Mediatonic

“Dark Souls III and Persona 5 both have me ludicrously excited. Persona especially looks to be such a huge step up from the last instalment that I’ve been eagerly scouring every trailer and press release for new details!”

Matt Birch, Founder, Heavy Spectrum (Shadow of the Beast)

“Gravity Rush Remastered, Gravity Rush 2 and The Last Guardian. DON’T MAKE ME CHOOSE!

“I was so excited to hear about Gravity Rush returning to PlayStation. I loved the first game so much – it’s one of my proudest platinum trophies! I can’t wait to spend more time with Kat, Dusty and Raven. I was brimming with pride when I saw Shadow of the Beast next to Gravity Rush Remastered at Paris Games Week.

“On the other hand, when I saw The Last Guardians re-appearance at E3 I was literally whooping with joy. I’ve had the title on pre-order since its original announcement, so seeing it return was such an exciting moment. I never lost faith!”

Corey Davis, Design Director, Psyonix (Rocket League)

“Final Fantasy XV. Though, I’m also really looking forward to Firewatch and The Division.”

Nathan Vella, Co-founder, Capybara Games (Super Time Force Ultra)

“You expect me to pick a single game? No way, not gonna happen. I’m just going to list a bunch! I’m really looking forward to: The Witness, ADR1FT, Street Fighter 5, Firewatch, Headlander, Mirror’s Edge 2, Soft Body and, like, 30 more. There are too many good games coming!”

Masaaki Yamagiwa, Producer (Bloodborne), SCE Japan Studio

“Actually I am not really sure if Dreams will be released in 2016 but it certainly is the game I am looking forward to most. LittleBigPlanet was a game that had a huge impact on me and I was so impressed by it, it was one of the reasons I moved to SCE. I am sure that we can expect a whole another level of unique experiences with Dreams, just as the developers did with LBP when that first came out.”

Alex Perry, QA Technician (Dreams), Media Molecule

“There are a bunch of big titles I’m looking forward to next year, but the game I’m most excited to play is What Remains Of Edith Finch. It looks like such an interesting idea; weird and creepy in the best possible way. Plus, I’ve seen footage of the game where you’re a shark stuck up a tree and that kind of sold it to me.”

+ wanX199A on December 31st, 2015 at 6:54 am said:

2016 is gonna be a very good year for us gamers and for devs aswell
i was looking for someone from fromsoftware but i was disappointed
its ok tho
i am SO HYPED for Dark souls 3 that i cant even anymore :)

+ KUMIOSH on December 31st, 2015 at 10:04 am said:

I’m right there with you! If I only had 60 dollars to live on for the whole of 2016, it would all go towards DS3!

+ jsoto1989 on December 31st, 2015 at 7:07 am said:

I am looking forward to the new Ratchet and Clank. Played the demo and it was pretty cool. We’ll be definitely getting it in April when it comes out. This year for PlayStation should be good. #greatnessawaits

+ sealum01 on December 31st, 2015 at 7:28 am said:

I *love* the love that The Witness is getting! “The Witness” is my #1 most desired game for 2016, hands down! Of course, I’m also really excited for a slew of titles including Ratchet & Clank, EvE Valkyrie VR, Battlezone VR, Dragon Quest 11, Persona 5, The Last Guardian, No Man’s Sky (VR — hopefully), ABZU, Mass Effect Andromeda, Uncharted 4, etc, etc. This list isn’t even exhaustive, and is a mere fraction of the games that I cannot wait to play in 2016!

+ Xenojo on December 31st, 2015 at 8:13 am said:

My most anticipated game are Star Ocean 5 integrity and faithlessness, StarOcean till the end of time ps2ps4 on psn store, Ni no kuni 2, horizon, Persona 5, Zero escape, the last of us 2 ( I hope its in developement ) etc man there are alot ^_^ and happy new year Playstation ^_~

+ KidGreengene on December 31st, 2015 at 8:22 am said:

To anyone that said their own title…. *shakes head*

+ V8_R3L3NTL3SS_1 on December 31st, 2015 at 8:48 am said:

Brynlyn Gibson your crazy to think that your nerd VR headset is where gaming is going lol, just like the way 3D went nowhere. All that Sony money from PS+ subscriptions to waste. Hope your lame VR bombs.

+ V8_R3L3NTL3SS_1 on December 31st, 2015 at 8:51 am said:

Sealum01 a VR nerd, you got one Brynlyn.

+ paulogy on December 31st, 2015 at 8:54 am said:

I really love this feature. It’s so interesting to see many devs anticipating games on the opposite end of the spectrum of the ones they make themselves :-)

Most of my most anticipated games were already mentioned: The Last Guardian, The Witness, No Man’s Sky, Uncharted 4, Horizon, but to this I’ll add ones I haven’t seen here: ABZU, Bound, Detroit, Duck Game, Hellblade, Hob, Rime, and Wild.

2016 (and beyond – BEYOND!) is certainly shaping up to be quite the year for PlayStation :-D

Hope you have a good year end and see you in 2016!

+ honkayjeezus on December 31st, 2015 at 5:19 pm said:

Oh, you put your username after you put your message to make sure we knew it was you. The second time the name showing up makes it so much easier.

+ Chidori_93 on December 31st, 2015 at 9:08 am said:

1. Zelda U
2. Persona 5
3. The Last Guardian

+ DaveedT13 on December 31st, 2015 at 9:50 am said:

Can’t wait to try games that are differents on my PS4 like:

– Dreams

– No Man Sky

– The Tomorrow Chlidren

– The Witness

– Wattam

– Rime

– Wild

and A LOT of others, I love the fresh experiences that Sony si giving me instead of just 2 or 3 genres!

I’m also looking forward to even more ROCKET LEAGUE with new interesting Arenas and Modes! ;)

And for sure…UNCHARTED 4 story mode, was a BIG fan of the multiplayer of Uncharted too but the beta with all the gimmicks that plays the game for us didn’t convince me at all… :( I’m still hoping for a mode without Sidekicks and Mysticals (I know that without mid-game-store, radar and revives is asking too much sadly, Uncharted online will never be the same). …but I’m still trusting the main team at ND for the STORY MODE wich WILL be awesome!

I’m also looking forward to VR, it’s way more interesting for me than 3D and way less of a “gimmick” since it’s really modifying the gameplay/control AND it’s our start point to real virtual reality gaming in the future! People must encourage this, we can’t play all our game the exact same way in 15 years! Some games will remain the same but some new experiences and way to play must come!

+ gameman15 on December 31st, 2015 at 9:52 am said:

My anticipated games of 2016:

1) Mighty No. 9 (getting it on the Wii U BTW unless the PS4 version has/will have DLC that won’t/didn’t come to the Wii U version)
2) Street Fighter V (getting it on the PS4)
3) Yooka-Laylee (also getting it on the Wii U unless the PS4 version has/will have DLC that won’t/didn’t come to the Wii U version)
4) Doom (getting it on the PS4)
5) Pokkén Tournament (getting it on the Wii U)

+ TeamGreen615 on December 31st, 2015 at 9:52 am said:

SideQuest Studios, My Vita is ready for Rainbow Skies!

+ stlthriot on December 31st, 2015 at 9:58 am said:

I’d love to hear more about Rime :)

Looks like another great year for PS! Bring on the games of 2016! :D

+ LeandroDiFini on December 31st, 2015 at 10:53 am said:

In order of excitement:

– The Last Guardian
– Ni No Kuni 2
– The Tomorrow Children
– Uncharted 4
– No Man’s Sky
– EA’s UFC 2
– Gravity Rush 2

+ Seluhir on December 31st, 2015 at 12:20 pm said:

Shocking! Some JRPGs on the list!

Amusingly, I just last night posted a list of my most anticipated stuff of 2016(there’s an anime in the list, but the rest are games): http://www.shadowedblade.net/2015/12/shadows-six-most-anticipated-of-2016/

To sum it up… Nier Automata, Last Guardian, Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 2, Horizon Zero Dawn, Persona 5.

There are so many others that it was hard to narrow down… FFXV is definitely up there, as are the numerous JRPGs announced(Star Ocean 5, Project Setsuna, World of Final Fantasy, etc.)… but when it comes down to it, those five are the ‘winners’ as it were.

+ EnobmahChoas on December 31st, 2015 at 12:35 pm said:

Fred, I just want to know if the ps vita will get supported in first party games not including AS A exclusive titles. As a fan, I really hope you do give the system some much needed love that you can give the PS4 because I would hate for it to be on its last leg.

All I ask is for this year in 2016 you revitalize the vita with your efforts to get more fans to show some love for the underdog that you never supported.

Signed, a concerned PlayStation Vita fan. Thanks! :-)

+ EnobmahChoas on December 31st, 2015 at 12:36 pm said:

+ Seluhir on December 31st, 2015 at 12:58 pm said:

They’ve officially stated they’re done with first party development for the Vita.

+ EnobmahChoas on December 31st, 2015 at 1:01 pm said:

They are still making games as far as xdev ones. But not AAA. You haven’t done your research on yoshida did you? He is not lying btw and you must of been living under a rock when you don’t research unless you show me proof, self righteous one. :/

+ EnobmahChoas on December 31st, 2015 at 1:10 pm said:

Looks like no proof at all, thought so! :/

+ Seluhir on December 31st, 2015 at 1:53 pm said:

I’d post a link but it’ll hold my comment for moderation.

Do a google search for “IGN Vita First Party” and you’ll see the first result is an article from October 23 of this year where a Sony Entertainment official states that they’re relying on third parties to support the vita with new releases from here on out.

+ magooser on January 2nd, 2016 at 6:18 am said:

You know, just because they stated last year that they wouldn’t doesn’t mean they can’t change their minds. People are so pessimistic.

+ david-on-earth on December 31st, 2015 at 12:55 pm said:

That’s hilarious! I mean, the part where everyone thinks The Last Guardian is coming out in 2016.

+ Seluhir on December 31st, 2015 at 1:54 pm said:

Get off your high horse. I have two ps3s, a vita, a psp, a ps4, a ps2, and 2 psones… my wife and I are planning to buy another ps4 for her to keep upstairs in the new year.

some of my favourite games of all time are on the Vita. But I’m just realistic and honest. Try a dose of that yourself sometime.

+ EnobmahChoas on December 31st, 2015 at 2:05 pm said:

So you are going to ignore what yoshida misinterpreted that does not have to do with whatever you are posting? If he was lying, he get harassed on Twitter because of gamescon being so stale when it comes to.that. Part of why Sony is not making those games is partly them and the consumers fault as well! If it sold well enough and saved the budget for that then all will be well, but noooooo, people did not want it and frankly said they won’t buy those first party game stop which should tell you the consumers aren’t interested so social media comes into play where they shat on those games like the vultures they are… :/ Hence the problem with the vita as far as bad journalism goes!

+ EnobmahChoas on December 31st, 2015 at 2:08 pm said:

I meant paris games week*

+ Seluhir on December 31st, 2015 at 3:37 pm said:

I think all I can say is lay off the drugs and maybe you’ll stop being so paranoid…

+ EnobmahChoas on December 31st, 2015 at 4:15 pm said:

Same to you

+ honkayjeezus on December 31st, 2015 at 5:18 pm said:

Anyone mention any non-Sony title?

Quantum Break, Zelda or XCom 2?

+ TwinDad on December 31st, 2015 at 7:26 pm said:

Persona 5
Uncharted 4
Gravity Rush 2

I’m sure there is more I will check out, but I wish I could play those 3 today.

+ finaler on December 31st, 2015 at 8:32 pm said:

Hopefully a new Way Of The Samurai game will be announced. Anyway, I’m really looking forward to the next Tales Of game. Besides that, Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts 3 if they make it out this year.

+ KnightRid on January 1st, 2016 at 3:34 am said:

Ratchet and Mass Effect are really the only 2 I can think of. I thought the last Uncharted was boring so I doubt I will grab the new one unless it goes on deep discount. I can’t believe none of them picked Ratchet!!!!! Sheepinator will find them all

+ Apollyon_Vice on January 1st, 2016 at 7:14 am said:

2016 does look really nice.
Tomorrow Children, The Last Guardian, Rachet and Clank, and all the fighting games.
Just would like Starbound to get out of Beta on PC and come over to PS4 and Vita!
I thought that at sometime that game was meant to come over.
Or maybe it was wishful thinking….

+ Elvick_ on January 1st, 2016 at 8:19 am said:

Gravity Rush: Remastered, Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth, Star Ocean 5, The Last Guardian, Ratchet and Clank, the list goes on and on. Too many good games coming!

+ ZeroHart on January 1st, 2016 at 10:13 am said:

I have tons of Gaes in Mind, but FFXV, The Division, Ni No Kuni 2, Dreams, Persona 5, Everquest Next? (Maybe on 2016) and hopefully the first part of FFVII?

+ Caio_Shadowman on January 1st, 2016 at 12:56 pm said:

STREET FIGHTER V is the best for me and VERY VERY HAPPY for west version of Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth too *-*

+ Keysersoze10033 on January 2nd, 2016 at 1:50 pm said:

Loving The Leftover music on that Uncharted trailer.

+ wwwdotjames on January 2nd, 2016 at 4:59 pm said:

It will be GREAT if they release the games this year and NOT hold off till 2017… I’m not holding my breath! 2015 personally was a weak year in gaming despite a few great titles! My 2 all time go to games are the entire Batman series and Infamous where I can go back and replay! Rocket League is also very addicting and looking forward to the updates. Walking Dead and Life is Strange are my go to Indie games. Looking forward to Rime!

+ varmintx on January 2nd, 2016 at 9:36 pm said:

The game I’m most looking forward to is the same one I’ve been looking for to every year for…okay, I’ve lost track of how many years I’ve been waiting for The Last Guardian (I’ve had it pre-ordered since 2009), but lets hope this is the year it finally comes out.

+ dkarlowicz10 on January 3rd, 2016 at 3:13 pm said:

Is everyone at the blog on a vacation since Christmas? Barely a blog entry since Christmas. Yeah, I say this because I miss those news feed blogs. I am hoping that there will be a deluge of blogs all this week to make up for the silence.

+ jebs1994 on January 3rd, 2016 at 5:39 pm said:

Persona 5 is most likely going to impress me. i haven’t been disappointed with an atlus title ever and seeing there track record makes me excited to see that game in action.

+ davidstubbs on January 3rd, 2016 at 10:23 pm said:

Alright! Dark Souls 3 and Persona 5!

+ magooser on January 4th, 2016 at 5:06 am said:

Seems like the blog is on vacation.

+ zirocrath on January 4th, 2016 at 5:50 am said:

Dylan Cuthbert praising his own game.. Nailed it.

+ Patsrule0316 on January 4th, 2016 at 3:51 pm said:

Mass Effect 4
For Honor
The Last Guardian
Zero Time Dilema (Vita)
Dishonored 2

+ zirocrath on January 5th, 2016 at 7:16 am said:

Salt and Sanctuary looks like a Dark Souls that I’m willing to play (the souls saga and bloodborne… no, I don’t want to break my console)… but then still, it’s a concept taken from Castlevania SOTN… so perhaps I should try dark souls (for the 3rd time) looking at it from a different perspective?

+ guitarded77 on January 4th, 2016 at 10:22 pm said:

No Man’s Sky has reached a level of hype to where it’s likely to be a letdown no matter how great it is. It seems to be every developer’s and journalist’s, most anticipated game.

Just give me my Uncharted 4 already… daddy needs.

+ Oste18262009 on January 18th, 2016 at 12:16 pm said:

I’m So Pumped For Uncharted 4 Especially With The Multiplayer! I Hope It Lives Up To The First 3 Games!