PlayStation Vue

Jan 12

24293956836_1490fda13d_z

Not A Hero Launches February 2nd on PS4

John Ribbins's Avatar Posted by on Jan 12, 2016 // creative director, Roll7

Hello PlayStation.Blog readers! I’m John, creative director at Roll7 and I’m writing on this here blog because Not A Hero — our 2D, cover-based, side-scrolling shooter about a purple rabbit from the future — is coming to PS4, like real soon.

Not A Hero

So, what’s the story? Well, way back in 2012 when the internet was still in black and white and you had to get games on 3.5 inch floppy disks, Roll7 made a couple of prototypes in a simple game making tool called Clickteam Fusion. Through some kind of miracle/luck/timing, both of the games we made ended up getting signed.

One of those prototypes was OlliOlli, which we signed with PlayStation and which you probably played and destroyed your DualShock 4 in the process of learning nollie 360 hardflips. The other prototype was Ur Not A Hero, which we signed with Devolver Digital around the same time.

With OlliOlli, there was no way that development could continue in Clickteam Fusion, as the game needed to come to PS Vita and PS4. As such, we started from scratch in C++, and rebuilt the game from the beginning. We brought on a team, and in the end, a lot of people and a lot of hard work went into making OlliOlli the game it was.

Not A HeroNot A Hero

Not a Hero on the other hand was coming to PC first. We’d never really dreamed of making it a PS4 game. When OlliOlli launched and we went back to working on Not A Hero, we did it in Clickteam Fusion. Unlike OlliOlli, Not a Hero has always been a smaller, weirder, boutique game. We really wanted to keep it down-river.

For most of the development there were only two people working directly on the game: myself and Jake Hollands. Many other people put countless hours into making the game great, from QA to sound design, but at it’s core, Not A Hero was built by two people who basically didn’t sleep.

When it came to launch, we were so broken from a year of pretty much permanent late nights and working weekends that even thinking about getting the game onto another platform other than PC was beyond us! Not to mention the fact that it shouldn’t even be possible — Clickteam Fusion doesn’t even export to PS4!

Not A Hero

But after it’s awesome reception on PC, and seeing how much people loved Bunnylord and the Fun Club’s (ultra) violent antics, we were determined to get the game onto console. We started out on PlayStation with OlliOlli, and it seemed a shame that Not A Hero wasn’t there.

It’s been a challenge and we’ve had a number of false starts and epic fails, but I’m pleased to announce that, with the help of some excellent people and the support of Devolver Digital, Not A Hero is coming to PS4 on February 2nd, 2016!

28 Comments

+ Mazyx on January 12th, 2016 at 6:03 am said:

So what about the Vita version?

+ RaymondGilbert on January 12th, 2016 at 6:06 am said:

Looks like a perfect fit for Vita ;)

+ jerrikoe on January 12th, 2016 at 7:44 am said:

Preach!

+ gerneric123 on January 12th, 2016 at 6:07 am said:

Another week, another cancelled Vita port.

+ MmaFanQc on January 12th, 2016 at 7:47 am said:

and countless of gerneric123 whinning/trolling, yaawwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

+ WadeDanger on January 12th, 2016 at 6:15 am said:

wasn’t this announced for vita too? is that still in the works, or has it been cancelled like the broforce port?

+ Loomer_Isaw2 on January 12th, 2016 at 6:16 am said:

I didn’t buy this game on Steam as I was looking forward to play this on the Vita, and yet, there’s no mention of it. Is it cancelled?

+ gerneric123 on January 12th, 2016 at 6:26 am said:

“With Remote Play …”

[I find that response annoying too]

+ dkarlowicz10 on January 12th, 2016 at 5:59 pm said:

Can’t play remote play during my commute to work. Remote play only works at home, not on the road (on the train).

+ Meg_Kelly89 on January 12th, 2016 at 6:22 am said:

So…Vita version? Is it cancelled? You mention it then only announce a PS4 release.

+ cjhill1836 on January 12th, 2016 at 6:38 am said:

Great news! I’ve been waiting very impatiently for word on Not A Hero (: Thanks for keeping your PlayStation fans in mind! I’ve had such a great time with OlliOlli 1/2, I can’t wait to get my hands on your newest creation.

P.S. Put me on the list as desperately hoping for a Vita port too.

+ mthodmn101 on January 12th, 2016 at 6:53 am said:

It is not coming to Vita… maybe Sony can step in again and help these hapless devs like with The Banner Saga

+ KillerBane91 on January 12th, 2016 at 7:11 am said:

Can’t wait to play it! :D Hopefully you guys can bring it too vita in the future :)

+ virsox on January 12th, 2016 at 7:17 am said:

I understand that Vita versions need to be cancelled, but what really annoys me is the lack of clear communication. All these blog posts are written in such a way that imply the Vita versions have never been announced. Why not clearly communicate with your fans? It’s much better to say “Vita version got cancelled, I’m sorry” than leave all Vita fans speculating.

+ virsox on January 12th, 2016 at 9:50 am said:

And even worse, most often the developer is clear on their own website (like Roll7 is), but apparently they cannot be here in the “official communication channel”

+ Xanthus179 on January 12th, 2016 at 7:37 am said:

Very cool. I’ve been wanting to try this one out just based on its outrageous trailer.

+ Mercenary09 on January 12th, 2016 at 7:45 am said:

Hmm first Tuesday of the month huh. Might be free on PS+ then in Feb.

+ paulogy on January 12th, 2016 at 9:01 am said:

Wow, sounds like quite an odyssey, but it’s very interesting to hear, and I’m glad the PS4 version is just around the corner. This was definitely a fun game to play at PAX East 2015, and if you guys were “broken” at the time, you sure fooled me :-)

+ cmdluke on January 12th, 2016 at 9:54 am said:

Please bring this to vita!

+ Hakumen__ on January 12th, 2016 at 10:31 am said:

Any news on the PS Vita version?

+ xarienne on January 12th, 2016 at 11:08 am said:

Wow. Since I read this this morning (and inferred for myself that the Vita version is no longer planned), I’ve done my own version of The Five Stages of Grief.

I passed through Denial pretty quickly and moved on to Anger. Seem to have skipped right over Bargaining to Depression though.

Not ready for Acceptance.

Instead, back to Bargaining: SONY, please PLEASE step in to help with this(!). Like MANY others, I was REALLY looking forward to playing this on my beloved Vita. Please help.

(Also? I’m gonna have to agree with @virsox: I understand that the Devs have posted something on their own blog, addressing the Vita version. But it really wasn’t good Customer Service to not be upfront and open about the situation in your post here. All that did was make Vita fans even more unhappy than we would have been if you’d just stated it plainly.)

+ TheHerbinator75 on January 12th, 2016 at 1:25 pm said:

So what will the initial price point be and will it be discounted for Playstation Plus users?

+ woojajg on January 12th, 2016 at 1:49 pm said:

I would have bought this on Vita, before that version was cancelled.

+ dkarlowicz10 on January 12th, 2016 at 6:02 pm said:

The developer said that they cancelled the game for Vita because it was incredibly hard. How can that be? Vita can play games like Killzone Mercenary and Uncharted GA (both games with higher graphics), a game like Not a Hero should not be harder to bring to Vita than those games.

+ nextleveltaken on January 13th, 2016 at 5:15 pm said:

They said that to be nice. Sales of Vita games are either anemic or it could have to do with Sony quietly killing off the system. Sony treats it like the redheaded stepchild of the PS4. They should just lower prices of memory sticks already or let someone else manufacture them and drop the price of the system to squeeze out what last bit of sales they can.

+ Doppelgangergang on January 12th, 2016 at 7:46 pm said:

This would have been a Day 1 Purchase for me.

No Vita Version just knocked it straight to my “Wait for PSPlus” list.

Can Sony give these guys an assist just like The Banner Saga?

+ Welmosca on January 13th, 2016 at 10:08 am said:

Yeah this game screams Vita…if they bring it to Vita or PS3 I’m buyin if not then…just lament.

+ Nerofive4 on January 26th, 2016 at 1:25 pm said:

Would have bought this for Vita, but little need for it on my PS4. Removed from wish/waitinglist.