Horizon Zero Dawn

Jan 14

24258289861_d0e8940566_z

Meet the Voice Actors of The Witness

Jonathan Blow's Avatar Posted by on Jan 14, 2016 // President, Thekla, Inc.

We’re a couple of weeks away from our release date, and we’ve just finished recording the last of the voice acting, which means it’s a good time to tell you about the actors!

The Witness deliberately riffs on several traditional elements of game design, and one of those elements is the classic audio log, where you are wandering along and you find a recording that was placed there by someone before.

The Witness has recordings like this, but let’s just say they are done in a highly non-traditional way. When you first encounter them you won’t find much in the way of answers, but, if you keep looking, you will eventually be able to piece together what’s going on.

The Witness

The WitnessThe Witness

These are the folks whose fine voicework you will hear in these recordings:

The Witness - Ashley Johnson Ashley Johnson, who you may know as Ellie from The Last of Us, or from her roles in Tales from the Borderlands and Infamous: First Light. She also plays the smartest person on the hit TV show Blindspot. You can find Ashley on Twitter here.
The Witness - Phil LaMarr Phil LaMarr, who I best know as Marvin from Pulp Fiction, but who you may know as Vamp in Metal Gear Solid 2 and 4, or as Ratbag from Shadow of Mordor. He also played Hermes in Futurama and Ollie Williams in Family Guy! You can follow his random musings here.
The Witness - Matthew Waterson Matthew Waterson, who played very English person Sir Lucan in The Order: 1886, and has recently acted in Fallout 4 and Halo 5. Check out Matthew’s amazing Sean-Connery-themed profile picture here.
The Witness - Terra Deva Terra Deva, an oft-performing musician, including recent hit single “At Night” with the Swiss group Shakedown (though she doesn’t play music in The Witness because we don’t have music in The Witness! She is acting!) and veteran of… The Mickey Mouse Club (among many other places)!! Terra’s Twitter is here.

I will warn you, though, that the story in The Witness, such as it is, is fairly subtle and happens mostly implicitly. You really have to explore and read between the lines to know what’s going on. So do not expect a traditional game story like The Last of Us or The Order! All that said, we are very happy to have these actors lending their talents to our game, and I look forward to release when you’ll see what we’ve been up to.

20 Comments

+ Patsrule0316 on January 14th, 2016 at 7:43 am said:

I’m so excited for this game. I can’t wait to play it. I wish you the best of luck, and thanks for the info on the voice actors.

+ porhawj2014 on January 14th, 2016 at 8:07 am said:

ughh i am wondering why they didn’t tell me us the price of this game

+ sealum01 on January 14th, 2016 at 8:10 am said:

Wow! What a cast! I didn’t even know that the game *needed* voice actors, but now I am even more intrigued at what the mysterious game has in store. I cannot wait for the 26th!

+ BrianMcGuinness on January 14th, 2016 at 8:11 am said:

Awesome. As a voice actor I like reading this stuff. I was lucky enough to do a few small parts in Until Dawn and I had a blast. Let me know if you guys need me for Witness 2!

Also, I had NO IDEA LaMarr did Ratbag though! Ha.

+ dashmasha on January 14th, 2016 at 8:36 am said:

I’m ashamed to admit I’ve played well over a 1000 hours of Destiny. I’m half way through Fallout 4. I pre-ordered The Division… but as soon as I get this game I’m dropping everything. I CAN’T BLOODY WAIT. I’ve been waiting so long and I’m getting it ASAP. I Just want to explore and do puzzles while stopping to admire the view and take another sip of my coffee. I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS GAME. It’s my most anticipated game, alongside Uncharted 4, No Man’s Sky and Horizon. I’m seriously counting the friggin’ days.

+ epicnate932 on January 14th, 2016 at 9:22 am said:

I love Ashley Johnson!! Shes an amazing voice actress. I think her best work is When she did The Last of Us.

+ Seluhir on January 14th, 2016 at 9:24 am said:

This is one of those games that I really wish gave me the option to see the character I was controlling. I’d be so all over this type of subtle puzzle game if not for that one hurdle. First person is just so… game-breaking for me. Just destroys my connection to the experience.

Oh well, there are plenty of other games out there.

+ AizawaYuuichi on January 17th, 2016 at 12:27 am said:

Just to offer a suggestion, if you’re interested in this type of game, you should check out The Talos Principle. It actually allows you to switch between 1st and 3rd person, as well as which shoulder the camera is over while in 3rd person mode. I don’t know if the game makes it clear it has the option, so I thought I’d let you know. It’s a similar, amazing (imo) puzzle game. Happy trails. :)

+ mnep99 on January 14th, 2016 at 9:26 am said:

You had me at “Ashley Johnson”.

+ Welmosca on January 14th, 2016 at 10:55 am said:

Damn this game looks really beautiful…its pure beauty.Can’t wait to see it in ma screen with those vibrant colors.It’ll be quite a sight to behold.

BTW I didn’t know Ashley Johnson was on 1st light…who exactly did she played there?

+ teh_pwner on January 14th, 2016 at 12:29 pm said:

Jenny. The girl who helps Fetch.

+ The_Dukie85 on January 14th, 2016 at 12:14 pm said:

This game is soooooo pretty. I need it bad.

+ paulogy on January 14th, 2016 at 2:54 pm said:

Well done, Jon! Very interested in seeing (or I suppose, hearing) how these fine talents have been put to good use :-). It won’t be long now…

+ Wozman23 on January 14th, 2016 at 3:03 pm said:

Really psyched for the release. Hope Phil LaMarr uses a voice similar to one from Futurama so I can pretend this is just a really weird episode and the series wasn’t cancelled. Oh… I made myself sad.

+ PanTheMan16 on January 22nd, 2016 at 9:56 am said:

Lolz

+ siriusbee on January 14th, 2016 at 5:10 pm said:

Thanks for sharing, and excited to play the game! But, um…aren’t you cutting it a little close? How have you just finished recording, and the game is supposed to come out in a couple of weeks? I mean, doesn’t Sony’s certification process take a bunch of time and stuff? Just curious.

+ AizawaYuuichi on January 18th, 2016 at 12:21 pm said:

In the first sentence he says they’re “a couple weeks away from release”, so I’m guessing this post was written around the beginning of the month, and the Blog is just posting it now.
    Also, from the way it sounds the voice work will be in the game, they could have completely made the game, including whatever triggers the audio logs, then just append the dialogue to them later once it was recorded, so not a huge surprise. I’m sure everything is fine and it’ll release on schedule. We should have heard about a delay by now.

+ death_nation100 on January 15th, 2016 at 1:33 pm said:

Did he just mentioned that stupid FPS game from that other systems ? YOU’RE FIRED !!!

+ Aero_Guardian17 on January 16th, 2016 at 11:52 am said:

I cannot wait for The Witness. It’s been on my list for a long time now. Its visual style and gameplay look fantastic. The only thing I’m worried about is the price. I’m hoping it will be $15. It’s up there with Uncharted 4, Mirror’s Edge: Catalyst, No Man’s Sky, and Horizon: Zero Dawn. Only 10 more days to go!

+ SharonBTaylor on January 17th, 2016 at 6:06 am said:

My last month paycheck was for 11000 dollars… All i did was simple online work from comfort at home for 3-4 hours/day that I got from this agency I discovered over the internet and they paid me for it 95 bucks every hour…Try it yourself… Earnmore9.com