Call of Duty Infinite Warfare

Jan 18

23776772234_6d0798f5cf_z

Inside the Killzone Visual Design Art Book

23776772234_6d0798f5cf_z

Victor Zuylen's Avatar Posted by on Jan 18, 2016 // Editor, Killzone Community

We are very proud to present Killzone Visual Design, a comprehensive art book celebrating 15 years of visual design history of the Killzone series. The book is published by the digital art experts at Cook & Becker, and explores the richness of the Killzone game world in colorful detail. We sat down with key artists of our studio and asked them about some key moments and anecdotes of those 15 years.

Art Director Roy Postma was one of the first artists to work on the original Killzone. He is quick to point out that the aesthetic of its main antagonists didn’t just spring into existence fully formed. “The whole look of the Helghast is something that really evolved over time,” he explains. “We went through a lot of history and photo books to gather inspiration and reference materials for our enemy character. We didn’t set out to create the most iconic look possible — it was more like, okay, how can we make this menacing, sort-of functional, believable character.”

One of the key things when looking at Killzone are the glowy red eyes of the Helghast. This wasn’t a style decision from day one — the red-eyes came into play after a game tester complaint that it was difficult to spot the Helghast against dark backdrops. “It doesn’t seem very camouflage-worthy,” Studio Art Director Jan-Bart van Beek notes, “but the eyes were only added after the game was in development, and we quickly realized it made the game much easier to play.”

Lead Visual Designer Roland IJzermans recounts the example of the vehicle chase over the Helghan ice fields from Killzone 3. “The sequence just so happened to be in development while it was winter time in the Netherlands,” he says. “I went out and I saw these ice skaters out on the lakes, and I thought that was a magnificent view, so I tried to redesign one of those into something that matched the Killzone universe.”

Killzone Visual Design

But when he presented his initial designs to the Art Director, it took all of a minute for the idea to be shot down. “He was like, whoa, is this Helghast? This isn’t Helghast!” Roland realized the Art Director was right — Helghast machines were typically designed as overpowered, opting to tear through nature rather than sail harmlessly over it. “So I sat down with that given information and we came up with the Ice Saw,” he says. “It was a much bigger, much more robust vehicle with chainsaw caterpillar tracks that tore into the ice. Suffice to say it quickly made it into the game.”

Killzone Visual Design is filled with lavish, full-color spreads and insightful comments and anecdotes from Guerrilla’s own visual design artists. It’s a must-have for Killzone fans and visual design aficionados alike. You can pre-order your copy from the PlayStation Gear store today.

13 Comments

+ TomatoDragon on January 18th, 2016 at 7:59 am said:

Love conceptual artbooks. Think I’ll pick this up.

+ CrusaderForever on January 18th, 2016 at 8:14 am said:

Very nice! I am so missing Killzone. I hope there is a new Killzone Mercenary in the works for PS4.

+ Robbie_G_lrish on January 18th, 2016 at 8:53 am said:

I’ve always loved Killzone’s art direction. Unfortunately, being from Canada puts this out of my price range but it looks great and I hope it does well.

+ trustter on January 18th, 2016 at 9:03 am said:

Now please release KZ2 MP only, 1080p, dedicated servers and 60fps and we will be good.

+ WarWolf7 on January 18th, 2016 at 10:24 am said:

Any plans to sell this on Amazon or other retailers? Also it’d be nice if some kind of digital content was included with stuff like this as it costs next to nothing to add.

+ OverTaker on January 18th, 2016 at 10:49 am said:

I will get the book when i get the game.

+ BathoryBlaze on January 18th, 2016 at 11:27 am said:

This looks really awesome. I’m a huge Killzone fan. I love the Helghast hoodie that I got from the Playstation Store too. Great job!

+ brolol07 on January 18th, 2016 at 12:33 pm said:

Interesting video! Preordered the book already! Interesting from a design standpoint from one who wants to be a game designer!

+ nov_17th on January 18th, 2016 at 12:33 pm said:

Cool, nice art book. I’m sadden because it does not seem to have many sketches but at least I get an art book .

+ Matieo10 on January 18th, 2016 at 2:18 pm said:

You guys should reconsider selling this on Amazon or other book stores across North America, eg. Barnes & Noble, Indigo Chapters, etc.

+ tokyopunchout on January 19th, 2016 at 9:16 am said:

Always really respected the design of this series as I felt like they were the game’s strength. It wasn’t until KZ:Mercenary that I felt like their gameplay matched the caliber of design. Really fell in love with that one both in SP & Multiplayer – couldn’t believe what they were able to pull off a Vita. It was my favorite FPS in years. That’s why I’m so excited to see what Guerrilla Cambridge has done with R.I.G.S.!

I may end up picking up this lovely book, but would be way more motivated if it were available on Amazon. You get so spoiled on shipping…

+ ShadoSpawn on January 20th, 2016 at 5:29 am said:

The vivid and splendid conceptual art designs seem to beg for an RPG style Killzone experience. I’m excited to where the series goes. I’ll definitely be buying this art book.

+ Loaf112 on February 1st, 2016 at 3:48 am said:

Is it just me or has the release date for this book been pushed back? I could’ve swore it said it was due for release on 1st February but I’ve just checked now and it says Feb 26th…!