PlayStation Vue

Jan 18

24320193435_567e2bdaf9_z

Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty Arrives on PS Vita January 19th

Bennie Terry's Avatar Posted by on Jan 18, 2016 // Executive Producer, Oddworld Inhabitants

Hello, Oddworld fans! It’s been a little while since we’ve been here on PlayStation.Blog talking about our games, but we’re delighted to finally share the first details of our upcoming PlayStation Vita game — Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty — and explain exactly what we’ve been doing in making this version of Abe the Mudokon’s adventure.

PS Vita is a wonderful machine, and for Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty it grants us — for the first time with this particular game — the ability to build an experience designed to be enjoyed on the bus, or laid back on the sofa, or for those sneaky 10 minute distractions under the desk while your boss calls this week’s Important Meeting.

Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty on PS Vita

In essence, this is very much Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty — the same critically-acclaimed hit that launched on PS4 in 2014 and PS3 in 2015 — but it’s a refined, specially adapted version of the game that plays to the strengths of the mobile format, while still delivering that “AAA indie” level of polish our fans have come to expect.

For starters, we’ve reworked the controls considerably. Heaps of attention has been lavished on the individual buttons and sticks — tweaking the analog dead zones, doubling up the shoulder buttons and making sure that Abe always goes exactly where you want him to no matter what.

So, the two “old school” control settings from the PS4 version have been made the default. This means that X hops you forward, not up; and the left analog stick is used to walk, not run. For the latter to happen, you hold down the R trigger, and, similarly, the L trigger is used to sneak. Push both triggers to chant. It’s a fluid, intuitive system that takes all of ten seconds to master, and then you’ll wonder why we didn’t do that at first!

Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty on PS VitaOddworld: New 'n' Tasty on PS Vita

Elsewhere, we’ve kept the free aiming and throwing on the right analog stick, but while aiming a tap of the R trigger throws whatever Abe’s holding. Want to drop something on the ground instead of whizzing it through the air? Just tap the centre of the front touch screen.

Gamespeak — the revolutionary way to interact with other characters and puzzles in the game that helped make the original PlayStation version such a hit — is on the d-pad. Up for “Hello,” Right for “Follow me” — you get the idea. Want to whistle, laugh or even perform one of Abe’s hysterical farts? Simply use Triangle as a Gamespeak shift button. Again, once you’ve tried it this way, it makes perfect sense.

Of utmost importance, however, is the fact that we’ve retained the instant QuikSave and QuickLoad from the PS4 version: tap Select to QuikSave wherever you are in the game, and hold the same button to reload. It might not help your speedrunning times if you die and have to reload, but it removes any frustration that a set of three rapidly oscillating meat grinders might otherwise enforce. It also means you can Quiksave, do something else with the Vita and come back to it at exactly the same point in the game.

And speaking of speedrunning, we’ve been humbled by the response to our leaderboards in New ‘n’ Tasty on PS4 and PS3, and we’re delighted to announce that speedrunning on the go is present and correct for PS Vita. But we’ve not stopped there — we’ve been carefully watching how people have been playing the game and thrown in a few minor revisions here and there to throw you off a little.

Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty on PS Vita

We’ve also worked tirelessly to ensure that the visual experience on PS Vita matches up as closely as it can with the other versions. We’ve made the game look a little grittier — gone is the bloom and glow leaving an aesthetic that closer resembles the 1997 classic — while tweaking every single area in the game to suit the platform.

We’ve also improved the readability of certain items that just wouldn’t have worked on the smaller screen without some attention: mines are now painted bright red so you can’t accidentally stumble into them without blaming yourself; well leaves are bigger so it’s clearer which way you need to go as Abe attempts his temple trials; a few camera angles have been adjusted, and so on.

And of course, everybody loves Trophies, right? Well, Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty features a full rack of them, including a Platinum for those that possess the skill to save every single Mudokon in under three hours.

All this makes for what we think is a great version of Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty. One designed for gaming on the go, with the Quiksaves working hard to ensure you can dip into the game for as little or as long as you’d like per session, but one that retains all the great playability, humor, visual direction and audio from its bigger brothers. We’re excited to get the game in front of PS Vita owners, and the time to do that is very nearly here.

Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty will be out on January 19th. And after that, well, it’s on to Exoddus… :)

21 Comments

+ Astroking112 on January 18th, 2016 at 8:09 am said:

Got the game for free with PS+ a while back, but I was waiting for the PS Vita version to drop before trying it out. Nice to see that’s finally happening–I’ve been meaning to experience Oddworld ever since hearing about Abe as a potential character for PlayStation All-Stars.

+ SHARINGAN_JP on January 18th, 2016 at 8:15 am said:

get the pyhsical copy

+ madmanwithabox12 on January 18th, 2016 at 8:20 am said:

It’s finally here! =D

Great blog post too, I really enjoyed reading and gaining some insight into how you’ve adapted it for Vita. Enjoyed it on PS4, might dip back in for the Platinum on Vita – especially with that speed run trophy taunting me.

As a lifelong fan, I look forward to whatever Oddworld has in store. Shame Exoddus remake probably won’t be on Vita given the trouble this one was, but honestly I’m just happy to see the best game in the series getting remade at all. Exoddus is perfection.

+ neoa34 on January 18th, 2016 at 9:48 am said:

Good News! Abe’s Forever

+ al2009man on January 18th, 2016 at 9:51 am said:

Does it support PlayStation TV along with full controller support (closer to PS4/PS3’s control schemes)

+ xarienne on January 18th, 2016 at 10:24 am said:

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

In conclusion, I’d like to say: THANK YOU(!) and Long Live the Vita!!! :-)

+ BluSpykz on January 18th, 2016 at 10:28 am said:

Great news!

Does it have cross buy and if not what’s the pricing?
Does it have cross save?

Great news!

+ djsaiyan on January 18th, 2016 at 8:12 pm said:

Cross-buy AND cross-save!

Source: oddworld . com/2014/04/oddworld-new-n-tasty-pricing-cross-buy-release-date-update/

+ LeandroDiFini on January 18th, 2016 at 10:35 am said:

I have to admit this game was surprisingly pleasant. I think it’s the perfect opportunity for those who got it for ps4 on ps plus and didn’t play it yet, to now enjoy it on Vita. And it’s a good opportunity for me to get the better ending this time around. :)

+ Amir_G_M_US on January 18th, 2016 at 12:39 pm said:

Finally some respect for VITA!!!

+ tusunami on January 18th, 2016 at 2:45 pm said:

As long as more people support the Vita more game will happen.

+ xClayMeow on January 18th, 2016 at 6:15 pm said:

I’ve been waiting for the Vita version. It’s great to hear you actually took the time to not simply port the game, but actually improve the experience and cater to the Vita’s strengths.

Vita is pretty much my exclusive platform for side-scrollers, so I’m looking forward to this!

+ CommanderClif on January 18th, 2016 at 8:16 pm said:

Dang! I basically gave up hope the vita version wa ever coming! Stoked and I think I’ll finish up those last trophies now.

+ zepified on January 18th, 2016 at 10:50 pm said:

I can’t tell you how happy & excited I am about this finally making its way to the Vita, especially given all of the technical difficulties you guys had to overcome in order to make it playable on the Vita!!! I actually waited on playing my PS4 version of the game once I found out that it was coming to the Vita… yeah, that’s how much I love & enjoy playing great games on the Vita. And seeing as how I’ve never even played this game to begin with, I know that once I play through the Vita version, I’ll immediately want to replay it over again on the PS4. So thanx again to everyone for sticking with the Vita version and not giving up on it.

+ zepified on January 18th, 2016 at 10:50 pm said:

^^^^continued from above^^^^

I do have one question though about the content in the new Vita version… in the PS4 version, there was/are extra levels offered as DLC for purchase on the PSNstore. I bought the DLC for the PS4 version and I’m wondering if that same DLC content will be included in the Vita version, or will it be offered as a separate purchase like with the PS4 version… or, will it be available in this new Vita version at all?? Because from what I’ve read based on other people’s impressions of the DLC, the added/extra DLC content does a lot to add to the game and I would hate to see the Vita version miss out on the DLC altogether?!?! But, whatever happens, happens… I’m still overall very grateful that this game is finally out on the Vita for every Vita fan to play & enjoy!!

+ GENETICIDE on January 19th, 2016 at 12:46 am said:

Let limited run games release this and exoddus. That would be super.

+ my360broke_again on January 19th, 2016 at 1:45 am said:

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many games on Vita. If only it was supported.

+ Hakumen__ on January 19th, 2016 at 12:45 pm said:

What about Alf’s Escape DLC? Will it be cross-buy? Or is it already included with the PS Vita version?

+ CommanderClif on January 19th, 2016 at 8:36 pm said:

Not seeing Cross Save. Still coming? I remember reading that it was going to be there and sure enough, I found the article from April 2014 on oddworld.com that the odd inhabitants were hard at work on the cross save feature. 1 year and 8 months later you gotta think it’s ready right??

+ Elvick_ on January 19th, 2016 at 10:38 pm said:

Thank you for the support!

+ Losabos1 on January 23rd, 2016 at 4:10 am said: