PlayStation Vue

Jan 18

24301387061_de641f8db0_z

Rocketbirds 2: Evolution Coming to PS4, PS Vita

Sian Yue Tan's Avatar Posted by on Jan 18, 2016 // Ratloop Asia

Hello, PlayStation fans! My name is Sian Yue Tan, creator of Rocketbirds. We’ve spent the last four years really looking at what people liked and disliked about the original Rocketbirds game and after a long wait, we’re happy to announce the sequel — Rocketbirds 2: Evolution!

Before we even started the project, we wanted Rocketbirds 2 to provide a more connected experience than its predecessor Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken, which we launched on PS3 back in 2011. But it wasn’t until we finally completed the PS Vita version of the game in early 2013 that we could finally start realizing some of those great ideas. It kind of ate away at me that after you completed the game’s Story and Co-op mode, you would have killed all the bad guys, solved all the puzzles, and “that” was pretty much “it.”

My gut told me that we should build on Co-op mode and have customizable Budgie Commando characters with lots and lots of guns and items to collect. The mission objectives would revolve around rescuing hostages held prisoner in procedurally generated locations. Unlike the first Rocketbirds, this time round we wanted you to stack the hostage on your back and carry him or her to safety. With up to four players, a stack of Budgie Commandos can now get pretty high, like a lumbering tower of death.

Unlike its predecessor, you can also play this mode alone, so we renamed it Rescue Mode instead of Co-op Mode. We feel the new Rescue Mode will be something PlayStation will truly enjoy, especially when playing online together.

Rocketbirds 2 Evolution on PS4, PS VitaRocketbirds 2 Evolution on PS4, PS Vita

Apart from some seriously updated visuals, other stuff we wanted to get right was to implement the online stuff early on in the project so we could build that from the ground up and provide a much better online multiplayer experience — this time we’re using a lobby and players can drop-in / drop-out at any time during an active online session.

We also wanted to improve the controls, responsiveness, and deepen the game’s combat mechanics, which was another chief complaint we received on the predecessor; this time around, it’s all about speed (and skill). The controls are still very pick-up-and-play, but with a bit of practice, players can run, aim, jump, and shoot — all at the same time.

About a year and a half in, we had a cool playable demo up and running and we grabbed every opportunity to get it in a booth to watch people play and get feedback. To date, throughout production, our game was playable at Gamestart Asia, Casual Connect Singapore, Taipei Game Show, Tokyo Game Show, and Bitsummit Kyoto. Nothing beats watching people play your game and we made lots of tweaks based on these mass focus tests, like adding a performance scorecard, “down-not-out” mechanics, Rent-A-Duck (for additional “feather-power” support) and we even added a Dojo where players can go head-to-head and see who is the most badass birdie of ’em all!

We always received great feedback from showcasing the game’s Rescue Mode, but one recurring question from players was always: “So, where’s the chicken?” I could see the serious disappointment in people’s faces when we told them that Hardboiled Chicken’s mission (to kill Putzki, that evil Penguin despot) was completed, so we’re only going to have those pint-sized Budgie Commandos in this game.

Rocketbirds 2 Evolution on PS4, PS Vita

Long story short… we spent another year and a half going the full nine yards to complete a full blown Story Mode, featuring Hardboiled Chicken, a new soundtrack by the talented band New World Revolution (which provided the kickass soundtrack for the original game), new jokes, new enemies, new Jetpack action, and full voice-over work by really talented English and Japanese voice actors!

In Story mode, Hardboiled finds out iL Putzki is still alive and seeks to eliminate him once and for all. Along the way, Hardboiled realizes the Trans-dimensional Space Owls are behind it all and needs to re-assess who his enemies really are. We’ve hidden lots of weapons and Easter eggs for you to find, but if you complete Story Mode and still want more, you can still unlock the big chicken for Rescue Mode and can carry on playing (alone or with friends).

And lastly, Rocketbirds 2 Evolution will feature cross buy and cross save where players can buy the game for one price and own it on both PS4 and PS Vita.

Look for more information about Rocketbirds 2: Evolution in the very near future! Thanks for reading.

+ dkarlowicz10 on January 18th, 2016 at 6:14 am said:

I loved the first one. Can’t wait for this one.

+ sytanic on January 18th, 2016 at 9:07 am said:

Great to hear it :-)

+ iamtylerdurden1 on January 20th, 2016 at 12:43 pm said:

Hard Boiled Chicken is such a fun game on Vita, the soundtrack is prime. I love the “say hello to my little friend” trailer.

+ mauaus on January 18th, 2016 at 6:33 am said:

YESSSS, the first one is so awesome :D CANT WAIT!

+ Sian Yue Tan on January 18th, 2016 at 10:48 am said:

Love these reactions! You guys are awesome :-)

+ jcthomas00 on January 18th, 2016 at 6:38 am said:

Yay! I finished the 1st one on Vita, and look forward to enjoying Rocketbirds 2: Evolution on my handheld.

+ sytanic on January 18th, 2016 at 9:07 am said:

Sweet :-)

+ four24twenty on January 18th, 2016 at 6:58 am said:

“First I was lost but now I’m found”…….dope song.

+ ossiecastro5 on January 18th, 2016 at 8:54 am said:

Agreed!

+ TwinDad on January 18th, 2016 at 7:05 am said:

Yea. Hardboiled Chicken is back.

+ sytanic on January 18th, 2016 at 9:08 am said:

Hah! And so is Putzki :-)

+ Kishnabe on January 18th, 2016 at 8:17 am said:

After platting the first one through PS+, was instantly hoping there was a second one. Not a fan of shooters, this one was a lot of fun. Did not like the co=op connectivity issues. I hope the second is better there.

+ sytanic on January 18th, 2016 at 9:10 am said:

Rocketbirds 2 features matching and drop-in/drop-out. Rescue mode has undergone a massive overhaul actually.

+ SmokeAdellic on January 18th, 2016 at 9:12 am said:

3D support returning as well?!

+ sytanic on January 18th, 2016 at 9:22 am said:

Yes, full Stereoscopic 3D as well :-)

+ SmokeAdellic on January 18th, 2016 at 9:45 am said:

You guys are awesome!

+ ossiecastro5 on January 18th, 2016 at 9:28 am said:

I liked the variety for the first one, as well as the stellar soundtrack. I hope to see the same here again!

+ sytanic on January 18th, 2016 at 9:31 am said:

We went all out this time :-)

+ ossiecastro5 on January 18th, 2016 at 9:43 am said:

I will look forward to this. Thank you!!!

+ LeandroDiFini on January 18th, 2016 at 10:38 am said:

This was a fun title! It’s like Rambo with chickens! Excited to see the second installment! Keep it short and sweet.

+ Sian Yue Tan on January 18th, 2016 at 10:45 am said:

It’s bigger than the first one – especially the game’s Rescue Mode has been overhauled and revamped. – Hmmm… There should be a trailer to accompany this post which may have been bird-napped by Penguins – we worked pretty hard on that, so I hope it’ll get rescued soon ;-)

+ N-eph on January 18th, 2016 at 11:19 am said:

Awesome! I´m in the middle of playing the first one and was worried about finishing too fast. I´m happy that we´ll get more hardboiled chicken soon

+ Sian Yue Tan on January 18th, 2016 at 4:50 pm said:

Oh yes, you’ll get more where that came from :-)

+ DarkSeraphim666 on January 18th, 2016 at 12:41 pm said:

“I gotta take a huge dump.”

Loved the first game.

+ Sian Yue Tan on January 18th, 2016 at 4:52 pm said:

Hahah… that was our intern who voiced that line, actually :-) This time, all lines are voiced by professionals

+ svgarcia on January 18th, 2016 at 12:55 pm said:

Any chance Rocketbirds 2 will be released for PS3 also?

+ Sian Yue Tan on January 18th, 2016 at 4:54 pm said:

Sorry, we had to make some hard decisions, but the PS3 was just too different from the PS Vita / PS4

+ badcatsclaws on January 18th, 2016 at 1:24 pm said:

I assume it has similar gameplay where you shot planes with missiles. That was the only part I hated. Controls were weird.

+ Sian Yue Tan on January 18th, 2016 at 4:57 pm said:

We did manage to squeeze in some Jetpaction and with the new 360 degree aiming controls, that just got so much sweeter.

+ TheBlackerBaron on January 18th, 2016 at 4:19 pm said:

No PSTV support, no buy.
So it seems i’ll never ever be buying it.

+ Sian Yue Tan on January 18th, 2016 at 5:02 pm said:

Hmmm… don’t give up yet. For Rocketbirds 1 PS Vita version used the rear touch panel for aiming, which made it incompatible with Vita TV. For Rocketbirds 2 however, the controls are Dualshock 3 compatible, which makes it easy for us to support Vita TV. We’ll look into this.

+ Thillhouse on January 18th, 2016 at 5:27 pm said:

Any word on the soundtrack? I loved the New World Revolution songs in the first game.

+ Sian Yue Tan on January 18th, 2016 at 5:29 pm said:

NWR’s workin’ on that OST :-)

+ hongthay on January 18th, 2016 at 6:15 pm said:

So Happy to hear that New World Revolution is doing the music for this one, too. Their music was the whole reason I bought the first game and enjoyed it. I would have skipped right over it originally, if not for their music in the trailer that just made me have to have it. The first game was fun, and looking forward to this wone.

+ Sian Yue Tan on January 18th, 2016 at 6:38 pm said:

cool :-)

+ xClayMeow on January 18th, 2016 at 6:22 pm said:

I owned the game on Steam for awhile, but Vita is my go-to platform for side-scrollers nowadays. I finally got around to playing the first game on my Vita and loved it, though I do second the gripe with the responsiveness (or lack thereof) of the controls – the end boss fight kicked my butt because Hardboiled wouldn’t pick up the health pack or ammo pack on my first tap, and that split second difference would get me shot to hell. But other than that, it’s an awesome game.

And whoever did the soundtrack for the first game…please tell me they’re doing the soundtrack for the sequel because the music was AWESOME!

+ Sian Yue Tan on January 18th, 2016 at 6:37 pm said:

Yeah, NWR did all the music for Rocketbirds 2 as well – the Controls are now super responsive – responsive and deep enough to make us run another mile to include a PvP minigame inside Rescue Mode, where you can battle your team mates

+ CaptainJeff87 on January 18th, 2016 at 7:30 pm said:

You guys read my mind or something, I was literally just thinking about Rocketbirds 2 and when an update on it’s status would be posted. Can’t wait for it. Day one purchase for sure.

Question though, if Putzki is still alive, does this mean Brno is alive too??

+ Sian Yue Tan on January 19th, 2016 at 5:05 pm said:

I guess you’ll need to find out :-)

+ TheHerbinator75 on January 19th, 2016 at 3:40 am said:

A long as the game isn’t overpriced at $19.99 and is a much more reasonable $9.99, count me in. But that is only if the wonky controls of the original have been addressed in the sequel. I loved the humor and art style of the first game but felt like I was constantly fighting against the controls a lot of the time.

+ Sian Yue Tan on January 19th, 2016 at 5:06 pm said:

The controls have received a big-assed update – combat was at the top of our list of things we needed to improve

+ samewere on January 19th, 2016 at 6:13 am said:

Been waiting for this game for quite a long time, thanks for the great work.

+ Sian Yue Tan on January 19th, 2016 at 5:10 pm said:

We pretty much worked flat-out completing this game – Again, thanks for your patience!

+ shadow_fire on January 19th, 2016 at 8:20 am said:

The soundtrack from the first game was so great and had me more pumped than any other soundtrack including the Hotline Miami’s.

+ Sian Yue Tan on January 19th, 2016 at 5:18 pm said:

HM has an awesome soundtrack, so that’s great to ‘hear’

+ Xanthus179 on January 19th, 2016 at 3:09 pm said:

Any chance you will be working with New World Revolution again for the soundtrack? The music was absolutely brilliant, and it brought so much emotion to the game. Also, I’m pretty sure rocking out to the intro tune was what sold me on the game when I was enjoying the demo.

+ Sian Yue Tan on January 19th, 2016 at 5:14 pm said:

Yes, NWR was totally on board for RB2E since the start – Throughout production, they also created some custom tracks for the game which have undergone lots of iterations and polish.

+ MarauderPrime64 on January 19th, 2016 at 10:04 pm said:

Any chance the game will have cross-platform play between the PS4 and PS Vita? Also will there be an open mic for chat/cross-chat?

+ Sian Yue Tan on January 21st, 2016 at 1:15 am said:

no cross-platform play or open mic, but cross-save and cross-buy

+ hongthay on January 19th, 2016 at 11:06 pm said:

It looks like the soundtrack is really popular. You should have a game / soundtrack bundle. I know I’d buy it.

+ iamtylerdurden1 on January 20th, 2016 at 12:44 pm said:

Vita day1

+ Xanthus179 on January 20th, 2016 at 5:30 pm said:

Ha, I should have looked through the comments first to see everyone else excited about the music. Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions! I’m really looking forward to this sequel.

+ Sian Yue Tan on January 21st, 2016 at 1:13 am said:

looking forward to finally let this puppy go…

+ zaldorone on February 4th, 2016 at 5:09 am said:

So very glad that RB2 is coming soon, any official release date?? Like many others on the posts, I also enjoyed the soundtrack, so much that I interviewed H from NWR on my podcast! Very nice guy, and may have to hit him up for another interview for RB2 soundtrack! Here’s hoping there will be a RB3!!