PlayStation Vue - One Punch Man

Jan 19

24015880769_c0f7ec9e8d_z

Resident Evil 0 Out Today on PS4, PS3

24015880769_c0f7ec9e8d_z

Andrew Schnorr's Avatar Posted by on Jan 19, 2016 // Product Manager, Capcom

In 2002, Resident Evil 0 unveiled to the world a new, previously unexplored chapter in gaming’s greatest survival horror series. As we move into the 20th Anniversary of Resident Evil this year, we are proud to revisit the series’ roots with you all — and today this beautifully remastered version of the prequel chapter makes its PlayStation debut on both PS4 and PS3!

Of course the world of Resident Evil is a big one, filled with grand conspiracies and complex relationships. So to bring you up to speed, I’d like to give you a taste of just a few of the ways that the story of Resident Evil 0 ties back into some of the other mainline games in the series.

Resident Evil 0 on PS4, PS3

The Original Resident Evil

First and foremost, Resident Evil 0 is a direct prequel to the first game in the series. It takes place the day before the famous Mansion Incident and leads directly into those events. If you’ve seen the intro of the original Resident Evil, you’ll know that the S.T.A.R.S. Alpha Team was out searching for signs of their compatriots, Bravo Team, who disappeared during their mission to investigate a series of murders occurring in the suburbs of Raccoon City.

In Resident Evil 0, you start out on that ill-fated mission as you take on the role of S.T.A.R.S. rookie cop Rebecca Chambers. It’s not going to be an easy 24 hours for her or her circumstantial partner, convicted murderer Billy Coen, before the events of the first Resident Evil game take place.

Trivia: This actually makes Rebecca the very first S.T.A.R.S. member to see a zombie and live to tell the tale. She’s quite a trendsetter!

Resident Evil 2

The biggest thread that Resident Evil 2 shares with Resident Evil 0? Dr. William Birkin. In Resident Evil 2, Birkin serves as the main antagonist, the evil genius behind the G-Virus. In Resident Evil 0, you learn that he and his co-conspirator Albert Wesker were working behind the scenes, incidentally making life difficult for Rebecca and Billy.

You also get to learn a bit more about his backstory with Umbrella, mainly what a snake he is.

Resident Evil 0 on PS4, PS3

Resident Evil 5

There are also ties to Resident Evil 5, though in this case non-canonically. The new Resident Evil 0 introduces Wesker Mode, which you can access by beating the main campaign once. In this mode, you have the opportunity to play as an Uroboros-enhanced Albert Wesker, based on his Resident Evil 5 appearance and abilities. Why that version? Well, in the spirit of goofy bonus modes like ye olde Tofu mode, we wanted a really overpowered character, and who’s more overpowered than a self-proclaimed god?

So now that you have an idea of how Resident Evil 0 fits in the larger RE universe, this is a great time to see where it all began. The HD release, featuring remastered visuals and sound, options for new and classic controls, and the all-new Wesker Mode, is available for download today on PS4 and PS3 for $19.99.

If you prefer physical discs, you can also pick up Resident Evil Origins Collection for PS4, which retails for $39.99 and includes both this game and the Resident Evil HD remaster. Now turn out the lights and get ready to experience the origins of Resident Evil!

+ Brandon_Storm on January 19th, 2016 at 10:25 am said:

Pretty excited to finally get a chance to play this. Big fan of the whole RE series (yes, each and every one for better or worse), but never own the consoles necessary to give this one a shot.

Going to grab that physical edition ASAP so I can sink my teeth into Resident Evil HD as well.

+ SilentNova on January 19th, 2016 at 10:53 am said:

I already bought the digital version of Resident Evil and I am still getting this since it includes both physical. Though I have this title on Wii and had it on GameCube. Well both with RE and RE 0. Cannot wait for Umbrella Corps as well.

+ Phenix--Nguyen on January 19th, 2016 at 10:55 am said:

Love the RE series up until 5. RE 5 & 6 was a joke. Not even a survival horror games anymore. RE shouldn’t be label under Survival Horror genre anymore.

I love that CAPCOM is remaster these original RE survival horror games. Next remaster I would like is RE2, RE:CV and RE3,

Andrew Schnorr's Avatar

+ Andrew Schnorr on January 19th, 2016 at 11:20 am said:

Thankfully, we’ve got you covered on Resident Evil 2, as we announced back in August that we’ve greenlit a full remake (that is, in the same vein as the 1996-to-2002 RE1 remake). It’s still super early on, so we don’t have any details to share just yet, but rest assured that it is coming!

+ SilentNova on January 19th, 2016 at 11:01 am said:

They already announced RE2 having a fully worked on Remaster. Super excited about it. I like 4, 5 and 6, but they did take the series in a very different direction gameplay wise. Survival horror or not, love the series.

+ Popbot on January 19th, 2016 at 11:04 am said:

Glad to see this coming out too as well obviously. Although, any official comment as to why this release does not offer cross buy between PS3 and PS4 versions like REHD did?

Andrew Schnorr's Avatar

+ Andrew Schnorr on January 19th, 2016 at 11:49 am said:

Hi there! The cross-buy offering for REHD was used as our pre-order incentive. For RE0, our incentive was to provide the bonus costumes.

+ Hakumen__ on January 19th, 2016 at 11:09 am said:

I’m not expecting an explanation at this point, but I wish Capcom would go ahead and explain RE0’s “magic elevator”, which connects the Management Training Facility and Water Treatment Plant (both at the Arklay Forest) with what seems to be Birkin’s laboratory (supposedly in the middle of Raccoon City).

Andrew Schnorr's Avatar

+ Andrew Schnorr on January 19th, 2016 at 11:52 am said:

Not a canon explanation, but horizontal elevators are a thing! :)

+ FearMonkey on January 19th, 2016 at 3:47 pm said:

Funicular.

+ RoII_chan on January 19th, 2016 at 11:35 am said:

If we didnt pre order can we get the special costumes via paid DLC?

Andrew Schnorr's Avatar

+ Andrew Schnorr on January 19th, 2016 at 11:49 am said:

You can indeed! If it suits your fancy, you can buy individual costumes packs with two costumes apiece for $2.99, or you can buy a complete costume pack that includes all eight costumes (including both the digital and physical pre-order bonuses) for $9.99.

+ fribee on January 19th, 2016 at 11:45 am said:

Time to put my life in hold for a few days and relive the joys of freshman year of college when this first came out.

+ spacedelete2 on January 19th, 2016 at 12:55 pm said:

Please remaster Resident Evil 4 next as that was the best Resident Evil game and i would love to play it on my PS4.

+ obed17 on January 19th, 2016 at 1:19 pm said:

I preordered the game 3 days ago of PS4, too bad the PS3 version didn’t come with it as a bonus. Resident Evil and Resident Evil O should be crossbuy.

+ Alastor424 on January 19th, 2016 at 1:19 pm said:

Stoked for RE2 to release as well!
Hoping for a RE4 overhaul as well.

+ Celticsx33x on January 19th, 2016 at 1:39 pm said:

hey capcom can you please remake the re outbreaks with the four player co-op many of us would love to play those online

+ franky_boyzz on January 19th, 2016 at 2:18 pm said:

Still have it on my Dreamcast but I never really end it ….even if it was crazy like the camera under the stair ……that was something :D

+ franky_boyzz on January 19th, 2016 at 2:20 pm said:

I mean …my game cube :S LOLLLL

+ dizeeStL on January 19th, 2016 at 11:51 pm said:

Please remaster the Outbreak games with full online support!

+ nevets_78 on January 20th, 2016 at 5:54 am said:

Sweet! Cant wait to pick this up, Loved the RE remake! Never had a chance to play it on Gamecube. Thanks Capcom keep releasing the good stuff! Remake Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers!

+ Mooting1983 on January 20th, 2016 at 7:46 am said:

Love the original resident’s

+ estigmatrance on January 20th, 2016 at 3:14 pm said:

the game doesnt install on ps3, it get stcuk at 95% what can it be?

+ Criso_93 on January 20th, 2016 at 6:44 pm said:

Picked the physical disc day one, loving it so far.

I’m sad that I will never buy any digital games from Sony anymore, all those DRM checks are awful, the fact that my secondary PS4 has to be in my main account, online while connected to PSN at all times to even play my games is a big hassle.

+ SXAF-STRIKER_X_ on January 24th, 2016 at 7:48 pm said:

OK here look. It’s so sad to me cause I buy all digital copies on psn and hate, absolutely hate hard disk copies. Now that to me is a hassle. But why the f^^^ do they ‘Capcom’ make versions of the game in different manners. I mean seriously what a cash grab joke to place RE HD and RE Zero one simple buy but you can buy both together on PBS store. All games on disk should and always be available the same from pan store to what retailers sell as well. To have to buy them both separately you will end up with 3 games and 2 of then will be duplicates. That’s pure total be in history of hard copies to digital. I mean why they can’t just be it synch on release from retailers to what’s in ps n store. This is my BIGHGGEEESSSTTTT issue. I and thepprevious order goodies. Wtf game companies. I live I north America and now I’m never able to use own and appreciate the NUK3TOWN CAMO crap like that

+ SXAF-STRIKER_X_ on January 24th, 2016 at 8:00 pm said:

Wow I hate auto correction almost as much. LOL. Look psn does not offer both digitally but retailers sell it together re HD and zero. Also if u prefer order a game for the dlc goodies it soul don’t be offered in a separate after release in a dlc with other costumes as well. Ex the 2 costumes for pre order RE ZERO are also in the 9.99 pack I mean Wtf the point of any pre order if the costume dlc has it included with few morethings . All this Capcom double buy crap is taking a Long time RE fan from day one ps 1 I was on the grind. Now looking how they treat they’re fan base with the structure of distribution has become a joke.