Horizon Zero Dawn

Jan 19

24385966525_d3300f6b13_z

The Deadly Tower of Monsters Smashes Onto PS4 Today

John Hardin's Avatar Posted by on Jan 19, 2016 // PR Manager, ATLUS

First off, Happy New Year! I mean, sure it’s mid-January, but it’s still okay to say Happy New Year, right? Regardless, I’m here to share the gloriousness of Ace Team’s upcoming action adventure game, the monster movie-inspired The Deadly Tower of Monsters. This sci-fi themed intergalactic planetary voyage it out today on PS4.

How would I describe the game? I would say it’s very similar to one of life’s greatest guilty pleasures. You know what I’m talking about. It’s 3:00 AM, you’ve got the late night munchies, but you’re not moving away from the TV. You’re going deeper and deeper into the Netflix rabbit hole, desperately searching for… the one.

Before all hope is lost, you see it — nestled in the depths of the Sci-Fi section — the perfect movie. It’s a lowest-of-the-low budget 1970s B-movie full of amateur actors, dialogue written by someone who once met a person that went to film school, laughable production values, second rate special effects, monster costumes courtesy of a local flea market, etc.

Sure, it may not have won Oscars or have some profound message, but darnit, it’s just the thing for your spaced-out, late-night state of mind.

The Deadly Tower of Monsters on PS4The Deadly Tower of Monsters on PS4

The Deadly Tower of Monsters has you playing inside that kind of movie, where your controller guides all the acting queues and fighting choreography! The game is framed as a 1970’s sci-fi film — directed by Dan Smith, and starring actors Jonathan Digby as the valiant space explorer Dick Starspeed, Stacy Sharp as the fiery Scarlet Nova, and a poor uncredited actor as the trusty co-pilot, Robot.

Dick Starspeed and Robot crash land onto the hostile planet Gravoria where they eventually team up with Scarlet Nova. Long story short, players must guide Dick Starspeed and company up the eponymous Deadly Tower of Monsters in order to confront Gravoria’s cruel emperor (Who also just happens to be Scarlet Nova’s father… dun dun dun!).

The Deadly Tower of Monsters on PS4

It won’t be an easy task for our intrepid space heroes. A flood of horrible beasts, gross abominations, and creatures from out of this world populate the tower. We’re talking horrific monstrosities such as stop-motion dinosaurs, gross slime creatures, giant nuclear (that’s “nukular”) ants, vicious lizard men, and diabolical puppybots galore! If you can see a zipper or some human feet, just uh… ignore that.

The good news: Dick, Scarlet, and Robot have an arsenal of weapons and skills to zap, whack, burn, and disintegrate their way up the tower. But wait, there’s more! Due to the lax insurance concerns and actor safety regulations of the 1970s, players can freefall off the tower to find secret areas and treasures without fear of death… unless they’re not careful. Plus, you won’t want to miss director Dan Smith’s “insightful” commentary on the filming process as he explains his genius: “There’s something so invigorating about the freefall shots! Like sticking your head out of the sunroof on the freeway!”*

The Deadly Tower of Monsters is truly an homage to classic Ed Wood-ian type schlock films; and kudos to Ace Team for making looking bad look so good on the Unreal Engine — from the film grain effect to the non-claymated claymation animations. So if you love deliciously cheesy sci-fi B-movies or have a knack for a solid action game, you can’t go wrong with The Deadly Tower of Monsters. Good luck out there, and don’t feel too bad for the stuntmen. It’s their job.

*Atlus USA cautions readers to not stick their heads out of sunroofs while driving on the freeway as it is probably dangerous.

+ grinderX19 on January 19th, 2016 at 6:20 am said:

The game looks like a total fun! Gotta grab it.

+ KidGreengene on January 19th, 2016 at 6:31 am said:

Never heard of this game… but I have to admit I had fun now just reading about it. I’ll have to check this out in some Twitch streaming but you have my attention.

+ Anddo on January 19th, 2016 at 6:41 am said:

For anyone interested, check out AngryCentaurGaming review on Youtube.
I gotta say say, this came out of nowhere, looks quite fun.

+ GrafUlrich88 on January 19th, 2016 at 6:49 am said:

Hey John,

Thanks for the awesome write up! This made me feel like I was reading a Mystery Science Theater 3000 movie review.

Cheers!!!

John Hardin's Avatar

+ John Hardin on January 19th, 2016 at 9:36 am said:

I think that’s what ACE Team was going for! The game is rife with that kind of humor :D

+ my360broke_again on January 19th, 2016 at 7:21 am said:

Why is directing me to my yahoo log in when I click on one of the articles included pictures. Weird!

+ VeritableHero on January 19th, 2016 at 7:52 am said:

It might have been prudent to embed a trailer or game play clip in this blog post. After seeing this post, I found one and was immediately interested.

John Hardin's Avatar

+ John Hardin on January 19th, 2016 at 9:39 am said:

We sent them one! I’m not sure where it is!

+ CrusaderForever on January 19th, 2016 at 8:36 am said:

I agree!

+ FeistFan on January 19th, 2016 at 9:05 am said:

Totally agree.

YouTube has a few videos, but it’s not clear what platform they’re from (PC, I presume) or how close they are to what we’ll get. It gives you a few more hints at gameplay than what you see here, though.

+ The_Bunn on January 19th, 2016 at 8:29 am said:

Looks cool, but I always assume those top down games are multiplayer. It was kinda disappointing to discover it isn’t (just personal preference, don’t need to be offended by it, internet). I’ll definitely buy it sometime down the line

+ LeandroDiFini on January 19th, 2016 at 9:25 am said:

Man… If that’s so, I’m disappointed by the lack of multiplayer too. I can’t play games without my wife participating on the action anymore. :)

+ Fuhr31 on January 19th, 2016 at 8:33 am said:

Sounds interesting… But no idea without any gameplay footage to show it off.

?

John Hardin's Avatar

+ John Hardin on January 19th, 2016 at 11:16 am said:

It’s up!

+ CrusaderForever on January 19th, 2016 at 8:34 am said:

Pictures don’t do this game justice. Check out Destructoid’s review http://www.destructoid.com/review-the-deadly-tower-of-monsters-334028.phtml. There is a trailer as well. This game looks very fun!

+ Anddo on January 19th, 2016 at 8:49 am said:

^^@ Fuhr31

Wacth the AngryCentaurGaming review on Youtube. If that doesn’t sell you nothing will.

+ Trendy_Kid on January 19th, 2016 at 8:58 am said:

I’m going to buy this.

+ FeLiPe_MachiN3 on January 19th, 2016 at 9:04 am said:

It looks fantastic, i have $20.92 on my wallet so i hope this game is like $20

John Hardin's Avatar

+ John Hardin on January 19th, 2016 at 9:40 am said:

It’s $10!

+ LeandroDiFini on January 19th, 2016 at 9:19 am said:

An Ed Wood inspired video-game?! I WANT IT! I WANT IT! I WANT IT!

+ Anddo on January 19th, 2016 at 9:43 am said:

Wow $10? and it clocks in at around 5-7 hours.. Not bad.

John Hardin's Avatar

+ John Hardin on January 19th, 2016 at 9:58 am said:

*Technically* it’s $14.99 on sale for $9.99 for two weeks, but still!

+ sfbsfb on January 19th, 2016 at 10:37 am said:

ACE Team always has some interesting ideas. I enjoyed playing Abyss Odyssey, partly because of the creative combination of ideas. Rock of Ages also was clever. This team clearly understands the concepts of fun and experimentation.

Others have mentioned AngryCentaurGaming on YouTube – his reviews are extremely thorough, informative, and entertaining. Among the very best game reviewers.

+ EmmaGees on January 19th, 2016 at 11:05 am said:

Hi,
I’ve been checking the PSN Store all morning, and Deadly Tower of Monsters isn’t showing up in “new games,” or via search. Anyone else have this problem?

+ CrusaderForever on January 19th, 2016 at 11:11 am said:

The PS Store doesn’t update until 4pm CT on average. It will arrive soon you just have to be patient.

+ EmmaGees on January 19th, 2016 at 11:24 am said:

Didn’t know that, thanks!

+ allegretto2500 on January 20th, 2016 at 4:34 am said:

Still missing from the ps4 psn store.

+ larshar6 on January 20th, 2016 at 10:52 am said:

when is it coming out says comes out today but don’t see it

+ FeLiPe_MachiN3 on January 20th, 2016 at 6:35 pm said:

I still can’t find this game on the store, was the release delayed?

+ MaxieMostel on January 20th, 2016 at 8:43 pm said:

Is this game not available in NA? Still not seeing it in the PS Store. Any ETA?

+ Hypergyaos on January 20th, 2016 at 9:25 pm said:

This game took me completely by surprise and is really awesome. I had a big grin on my face throughout the demo and immediately bought a copy. If you love B movies, this will make your day. Great work ACE Team!!!