Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Jan 21

24190633040_a779557cd3_z

Open-world Pirate Sim Pixel Piracy Coming to PS4

Alex Poysky's Avatar Posted by on Jan 21, 2016 // Executive Producer, Quadro Delta

Just like the game itself, the life of Pixel Piracy has been a wonderful adventure that constantly surprises. Welcome aboard, you scallywags!

We’re thrilled to bring Pixel Piracy to PS4 alongside 505 Games and Re-Logic. Abstraction Games has done an awesome job bringing our PC indie hit to console, and we’re grateful to have them all as part of our pirate crew!

Pixel Piracy on PS4

I actually wanted to get into games because I saw that Andrew Spinks (Re-Logic, Terraria fame) had been in the military and had changed his life to pursue his dreams . Likewise I was stuck in the army on the Jordanian/Iraq border getting mortared daily and thought that there was more to life than that!

Andrew really inspired me to grab my dreams, turn my life around, and make them happen. It’s funny how things turn out, because Re-Logic published the game when we were ready to launch on PC, so my dreams came utterly true!

Pixel Piracy on PS4Pixel Piracy on PS4

My life changed when I met Vitali Kirpu, an insanely talented one-man-band developer who had this awesome game demo which ultimately became Pixel Piracy… and the rest is history. Over time we’ve added more folks to the Pixel team and added a ton of new content to the game, making it the deepest, open-world pirate RPG sim that ever did live.

The great thing for console players is that they get all of the major PC update content already baked into the launch version. We’ve partnered with 505 Games on the PS4 launch. The team has done a great job with Abstraction to make improvements to the UI and to make sure the console controls are nailed, and giving it the all-around piratey polish it needed to bring it to the masses.

Pixel Piracy on PS4

If you like pirates, this is the game for you. If you like the sound of recruiting a motley crew and sailing the seven seas in search of booty, other pirate crews to kill, chasing chickens, building your ship block by block, cleaning the poop deck, boarding enemy ships, then jump aboard.

It also has this wonderful pixel look — the title gives that away — but don’t be fooled; this is a really deeply layered RPG simulation that rewards time spent and exploration. Our pirate dudes are only a few pixels high but they are cheeky and deadly in equal measure.

Let us know what you think — or otherwise you might be the next to the walk the plank!

31 Comments

+ Circuitburnout on January 21st, 2016 at 8:08 am said:

This is looking pretty cool, can’t wait to play this

+ iamtylerdurden1 on January 22nd, 2016 at 10:54 am said:

Will it launch on Vita day 1? Ppl enjoyed Terraria on Vita, make it happen, 14 million Vita owners are interested.

+ Neon_Tigers on January 21st, 2016 at 8:08 am said:

Release date/window ?

+ S4YJ1N on January 21st, 2016 at 8:09 am said:

This is Cross-Buy???and, this game have craft system?

+ Hakumen__ on January 21st, 2016 at 3:26 pm said:

Is it confirmed for PS3 and/or PS Vita?

+ mastocklkaksi on January 21st, 2016 at 9:21 am said:

Looks fun. I’m in.

Is it coming soon?

+ Fin1drful on January 21st, 2016 at 10:20 am said:

February 16th according to the ps trailer on you tube.

+ RSevo09 on January 21st, 2016 at 11:06 am said:

So sad, it seems like Sony has given up on supporting indies to release on Vita as well :(

+ branant221 on January 21st, 2016 at 1:56 pm said:

What? I was on neogaf and there is like 200 indie games coming to Vita this year.

+ Trendy_Kid on January 21st, 2016 at 11:37 am said:

I love Pirate games. I also love Indie games. <3

+ ShadowStar83x on January 21st, 2016 at 2:49 pm said:

This looks fun!

+ rockoutdude77 on January 21st, 2016 at 5:55 pm said:

How have I never heard of this game??? THIS SOUNDS AMAZING!

+ FLAME_THROWER_88 on January 22nd, 2016 at 7:36 pm said:

The game is amazing

+ RSevo09 on January 21st, 2016 at 6:08 pm said:

@branant221 I’m well aware about that thread on gaf, all I’m saying is that it’s getting more and more common that these indies are being announced for PS4 only.

I don’t think it’s coincidence (but maybe it is) that since the beginning of 2016, almost every indie that’s been announced on this blog haven’t had a Vita version even mentioned. Most of these indies would be best on Vita in my opinion.

+ PanTheMan16 on January 23rd, 2016 at 7:04 am said:

Most of these indies would be best where most people want to play them, which is on a current-generation console.
    There are a few million Vita owners, worldwide (I’m one of them), but a very, very small number would buy this game or any other. There is a loyal following, sure, but that platform was dead as soon as it started.

+ Nerofive4 on January 26th, 2016 at 1:42 pm said:

If sony would just market the memory cards for a reasonable mark up (say 30-40%, which is still high, but much better than 300-400% markup currently). They would give the vita a chance. Most people wont touch the system because they see what the prices of any memory are.

Who cares how many games you have if you cant access most of them on the go. I have a 64 gb card, and even that is full. The vita could done much better, but it seems sony would rather see it die, than admit they were wrong on memory pricing, and system marketing. They act like it is dying because there is no market, vs it dying because they are making bad choices.

+ RichiPuppy on January 22nd, 2016 at 6:19 am said:

Does this game have trading goods, like buying cheap at one port and selling high at another? I have been looking for a good pirate game comparable to Uncharted Waters.

+ iamtylerdurden1 on January 22nd, 2016 at 10:58 am said:

Looks exactly like Terraria but with Pirates.

+ d_ck_knight on January 26th, 2016 at 12:10 pm said:

Had the same thought!

+ FLAME_THROWER_88 on January 22nd, 2016 at 7:35 pm said:

To anybody thinking about buying this game, I have it on pc and it’s actually really fun. Going around killing and pillaging pirates. Managing your ship and pirate mates. Really fun game 9/10 would buy again…yes again, just to have it on psn

+ d_ck_knight on January 26th, 2016 at 12:10 pm said:

Thanks man, needed a comment like this to convince me a little more :D

+ KazuyaLegends on January 24th, 2016 at 10:01 pm said:

when the release date?

+ d_ck_knight on January 26th, 2016 at 12:09 pm said:

It sure looks interesting but I`m not too sure if it`s realy going to be something for me. Count me in on it though :D

+ NxP3 on January 26th, 2016 at 9:30 pm said:

again…more crappy 16bit *&#$*(#. Enough of the minecraft hype already….get to making a real game people.

+ pensukaJr2 on February 12th, 2016 at 12:48 pm said:

whats even the release date???

+ isaacharris on February 16th, 2016 at 7:09 pm said:

Do not buy this game yet!!!!! Once you get like 8 crew members the game becomes a slideshow and is unplayable! Wait for a fix or be as ****ed off as I am.

+ foodforme123 on February 16th, 2016 at 9:35 pm said:

Will there be updates because I don’t really feel the flow like on PC

+ Hushed-Massacre on February 17th, 2016 at 12:30 am said:

Neat game until very early on when I acquired a boat with ladders only to discover a bug preventing crew from climbing ladders.
This seems to have been a bug in early versions of the PC game — kind of surprised it made it into the console version a year later.

Somewhat unplayable until it’s fixed (at least, if you intend to get a bigger, multi-level ship).

+ Vindicator4722 on February 17th, 2016 at 6:10 pm said:

I’m experiencing the same ladder bug, plus a bug involving the skills in the game. Especially gun frenzy and 20 strikes, combined with counter attack. I boarded a 9 skull ship like an hour into the game and my captain took out the entire crew cause all my skills seemed to proc off counter attacks, was very messy.

+ Hushed-Massacre on February 18th, 2016 at 12:14 pm said:

I got around the ladder bug (and the crew can’t eat food bug), but now I’ve got the ‘crew can’t board enemy ships without getting stuck’ — there’s a work-around here for the time being, because like you, my captain is absurdly strong and can single-handedly take out enemy ships (though I’m only attacking 6 skull ships presently).

I’m playing on Normal — maybe I should try a separate save on Hard. :-/

+ Vindicator4722 on February 18th, 2016 at 9:32 pm said:

Don’t do it, there are normally better rewards on harder difficulties, you’ll probably just expedite your transformation from a godly pirate amongst men, to some kind of Cthulu.