Call of Duty Infinite Warfare

Jan 21

The Witness

PlayStation Blogcast 193: Witness Protection Program

Ryan Clements's Avatar Posted by on Jan 21, 2016 // Senior Specialist, SIEA Social Media

After many years of development, hard work, and passion, The Witness is out next week on PS4. The crew discusses this ambitious open-world puzzler — a game that Nick has worked on since he started at PlayStation! We also assert our love for the original Mirror’s Edge, talk Trophies, and even “review” The Great British Bake Off. Enjoy the show!

Subscribe via iTunes or RSS, or download here

Stuff We Talked About

• The Witness
  • Our favorite puzzle games
  • Tharsis
  • Tales from the Borderlands
  • Gone Home
  • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
  • Mirror’s Edge
  • Cooking shows

Recent Episodes

The Cast

Official PlayStation.Blogcast - Nick SuttnerOfficial PlayStation Blogcast: Justin MassongillOfficial PlayStation Blogcast: Ryan Clements

Nick Suttner – Lead Account Manager, SCEA
Justin Massongill – Social Media Manager, SCEA
Ryan Clements – Social Media Specialist, SCEA

Send us questions and tips! blogcast@playstation.sony.com
Leave us a voicemail! (650) 288-6706

Thanks to Cory Schmitz for our beautiful logo and Dormilón for our rad theme song and show music.

16 Comments

+ paulogy on January 21st, 2016 at 4:37 pm said:

Really looking forward to playing The Witness myself, so this sounds like it’s going to be a great episode to whet my appetite until 1/26 :-)

+ cool_trainer on January 21st, 2016 at 4:45 pm said:

1/26 is sooo close :o

+ cool_trainer on January 21st, 2016 at 4:44 pm said:

Great title choice.

+ Heartless_Angel7 on January 21st, 2016 at 4:48 pm said:

6 more to go….

+ Mercenary09 on January 21st, 2016 at 4:54 pm said:

What no Sid? Was he banned from the blogcast for his drawn out awards last week? Besides that I too can’t wait to play The Witness next week as well as This War of Mine: The Little Ones!

+ Nerroth on January 21st, 2016 at 4:59 pm said:

Is there any word on whether Civilization Revolution 2 Plus will be coming out on PS Vita next week?

It had been scheduled for a December 2015 release on the North American PSN, but was given a last-minute delay to the 26th of January.

+ BlindMango on January 21st, 2016 at 5:15 pm said:

Awesome, new episode! =D Just wanted to drop by the comments like I do from time to time and say you guys are only getting better! I remember I was just dying laughing the entire way through the last episode, haha. Can’t wait for the Witness either, it’s been a long wait but I’m sure it will be worth it.

I have a question for you guys, do you have any goals as far as trophies this year? Any games coming out in 2016 that you think you’ll try to platinum?

+ sealum01 on January 21st, 2016 at 5:16 pm said:

Oh man! I can’t wait to listen to this week’s episode! The Witness is right around the corner, and the amazing price ($39) is a dream come true! I cannot wait to listen, and I cannot wait to play! The witness may be an indie, but it seems to have all the earmarks of a AAA game. I call it a Triple-I, or III!

PS. Guy On a Buffalo was AMAZING! :)

– Sean Lumly

+ cool_trainer on January 21st, 2016 at 5:47 pm said:

Oh my god you talked about Action Bronson again!? Please do a crossover episode with him.

+ Tjoeb123 on January 21st, 2016 at 6:38 pm said:

You are correct, Ryan – Trails in the Sky was the first in the Trails series that came out on PSP and PC way back in 2012 or so, and for a lot of folks was the first foray in the Legend of Heroes franchise. It took much longer for XSEED (which you also said correctly) to localize the 2nd part (Trails in the Sky SC, short for Second Chapter, also on PSP and PC) so that’s why it just came out in Fall of last year.

Either way Trails of Cold Steel is a fantastic game (which is also on PS3, by the way), and I absolutely cannot wait for Cold Steel II later this year. (Assuming there’s no hiccups during localization.) Falcom announced a 3rd game when we got Cold Steel 1 so it’ll be interesting to see what that’ll be like.

Oh, and because Justin didn’t mention which platform specifically – it made the December 2015 Vita list. (At #8!)

+ Anecdotal_Karma on January 22nd, 2016 at 7:07 am said:

Hey guys,

A couple months ago, I listened to the blogcast for the first time and liked it so much I went back to the first blogcast and proceeded to listen to every podcast during work every day and now I’m finally caught up! It was really fun hearing the evolution of the group dynamics and the many, many inside jokes and tangents.

I love the show and keep up the good work!

+ KidGreengene on January 22nd, 2016 at 10:00 am said:

I’ll have to listen on my way home today. The Witness looks really good and I love to support the smaller “indie” games since they need it more than the AAA ones… but $40 for a FPX (even though I love that style game) seems like so much. So hoping to get convinced of some evolution between Gone Home (which I loved) and this that nets the extra $20.

+ destruction1983 on January 22nd, 2016 at 3:18 pm said:

Awesome :)

+ Megusta32 on January 24th, 2016 at 7:04 am said:

Not sure about The Witness yet.. I’ve never been a fan of Puzzle Games. I’ll wait for some reviews, but definitely interested.
I’m very excited about Firewatch, though. Looks amazing and I believe some Telltale’s writers worked on it. Which means the story is definitely going to be awesome.

The Division looks pretty good too, are you guys (Justin and Ryan, as Destiny Veterans) going to play the Beta next weekend?
I hope I’ll see you guys in Manhattan on the 29th… through my scope!

Cheers from Switzerland and take care

+ deliriumsfrogs on January 25th, 2016 at 9:09 am said:

Hey guys!
Really enjoyed all the talk about puzzle games and their lasting impressions. To me, puzzle elements, whether featured front and center like in Fez, or finding themselves playing more of a minor role, like the light puzzles one comes across in Skyrim, always stand out as some of the most enjoyable parts in a game. They work like the movements in a musical composition, serving to change the tempo of play, and the rhythm of the player’s thinking. When a developer or studio does this well, it’s a concerto I most definitely want a ticket to. :)))

Thanks for always being awesome!

+ Rpm2878 on January 28th, 2016 at 10:27 am said:

I know I’m way too late to the party, but did no one finish The Swapper? It had a lot of “aha” moments, from the puzzles to the story. Maybe it’s so similar, mechanically, to Portal that you guys forgot that it was an awesome puzzle game. ;)