PlayStation Vue

Jan 21

23972526069_b33d9bfe7d_z

The Escapists The Walking Dead Coming to PS4 on February 16th

Grant Towell's Avatar Posted by on Jan 21, 2016 // Lead Designer, Team17 Digital Ltd

Hey PlayStation.Blog readers! We hope everyone had a great holiday. Here at Team17, we’ve got a lot of exciting games coming to PS4 in 2016 — the first of which I’m here to tell you about today is the awesome The Escapists The Walking Dead!

The Escapists The Walking Dead

Yes, that’s right — we’ve taken our breakout hit The Escapists and merged it with the well-loved universe that is Robert Kirkman’s The Walking Dead comic series. We’ve taken the very best of both worlds and lovingly recreated comic panels, dialogue, and the story of the award-winning comic series within the charming 8-bit style of The Escapists.

Starting the game, you’ll take on the role of iconic protagonist Rick Grimes as he wakes up in the Harrison Memorial Hospital. This first tutorial level matches that very first issue of The Walking Dead comic, and sees Rick encounter his first walkers in the hospital. The levels will then follow the timeline of the comics, seeing Rick travel to various locations such as the Greene Family Farm, Meriwether Correctional Facility, Woodbury, and Alexandria. In fact, our game spans right up to around issue 83 of the comic!

You’ll get to meet other familiar characters from the hit series along the way including Carl, Lori, Glenn, Hershel, Maggie, Dale, Tyreese, Michonne, Abraham, and Gabriel. As Rick, you must take care of your survivors by performing headcounts, and cleaning up the compound to avoid getting overrun with walkers.

The Escapists The Walking DeadThe Escapists The Walking Dead

Fans of The Escapists will be glad to know crafting is still a big part of the game. Choosing from over 250 materials, you’ll be able to craft more than 70 different items to keep your survivors safe including tools like cutters and shovels, and weapons such as the modified pistol and rifle.

We’ve absolutely loved teaming up with Skybound Entertainment on this and we can’t wait to see you on the leaderboards when The Escapists The Walking Dead launches for PS4 on February 16th.

+ Mercenary09 on January 21st, 2016 at 7:31 am said:

Been waiting for you guys to bring this over to PS4! So excited to play it. Thanks for giving it a Platinum trophy just like the original game as well!

Grant Towell's Avatar

+ Bethany Aston on January 21st, 2016 at 7:55 am said:

Hey @Mercenary09,

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. We’re glad you’re excited about the game and all the best with getting that platinum!

+ Major01 on January 21st, 2016 at 7:35 am said:

Looks very interesting. I never played the original so may have to check it out.

+ CapJSheridan on January 21st, 2016 at 7:35 am said:

I’m really surprised this isn’t on Vita, kinda disappointed =( it looks like it fits perfectly with portable gameplay

+ RSevo09 on January 21st, 2016 at 11:04 am said:

Who do we beg to get this on Vita? This would be perfect on it.

+ creepysuitguy on January 21st, 2016 at 12:10 pm said:

I also would love and have been wanting the escapists on Vita since it was originally announced!
Any chance???

+ hornetsv on January 21st, 2016 at 12:28 pm said:

I love a vita version too, preorder if necesary

+ Garbwire47 on January 21st, 2016 at 2:51 pm said:

Vita would be ideal :)

+ dkarlowicz10 on January 21st, 2016 at 3:07 pm said:

I have a PS4 and a Vita. I typically play big budget games like Infamous, Batman, Witcher 3 on PS4, while I play games like this one on Vita. These games on Vita get more attention than they would on PS4. I play Vita during my train commute, so remote play is not possible. Please consider a Vita version.

+ RSevo09 on January 21st, 2016 at 6:33 pm said:

I’m the same, my PS4 is generally for the AAA games. I don’t agree that indies get more attention on Vita than PS4 though just by virtue of the PS4’s larger install base. Although it’s well known that Vita owners (like myself) by an insane amount of games, and most of them are indies.

In any case, this game would be fantastic on Vita, I hope the developers take a port into consideration.

+ Hakumen__ on January 21st, 2016 at 3:23 pm said:

I join the requests for a PS Vita version. Also hope for the original The Escapists to come to PS Vita.

+ Losabos1 on January 23rd, 2016 at 4:05 am said:

This game is amazing fun and a must get if you have not played it. I picked it up on my Xbone a couple of months ago when it came out over there so I wont be grabbing it on the PS4, however I would totally pay for it again day one on my vita. I also join the vote for a vita version!

+ EnigmaNemesis on January 23rd, 2016 at 10:39 am said:

This is a really cool concept. Going to have to check out The Escapist as well.

+ Ketchup_Apple on February 15th, 2016 at 11:24 am said:

I’ve been playing this game for a few weeks now, and I’m in love with it :) so thanks for creating such a great game! People like you make my world go around

+ DunningKrugerMD on February 18th, 2016 at 12:19 pm said:

Please consider bringing this to PS Vita!