PlayStation VR

Jan 25

24447649871_f0794f67bb_h

Street Fighter V Story Details and Free Cinematic Expansion Revealed

Peter Rosas's Avatar Posted by on Jan 25, 2016 // Capcom, Associate Producer

Hey everyone! I’ve been itching to tell you about this for the longest time, and now I finally can! We’re happy to reveal the single-player story details for Street Fighter V. There are two main components to the story experience: Character Stories and the Cinematic Story Expansion.

Character Stories

We knew there would be a lot of new players who are jumping into the franchise for the very first time, so we wanted to provide a way for everyone to become familiar with the eclectic personalities of each fighter. Each character has his or her own storyline that provides background information on what drives him or her to fight, and what that fighter’s relationships are to the other characters.

Street Fighter V on PS4Street Fighter V on PS4

Each story has been illustrated by renowned Japanese illustrator Bengus who worked on a variety of Capcom titles in the past. I think you’ll find his colorful, throwback style fits perfectly with the background tales we want to tell about each character. What answers does Ryu seek in his never-ending journey? What happened to Charlie Nash after his apparent demise in Street Fighter Alpha? Who is Necalli and what does he want? Play the Character Stories to find out all these answers and more! Once you complete all of them you’ll be ready for the next part of the story experience, which is…

Cinematic Story Expansion

For the first time in franchise history, we are creating a cinematic story experience that takes players deep into the Street Fighter action and mythology through beautifully rendered cutscenes. The Story Expansion will be available to all players as a free content update, releasing in June 2016. Chronologically in the Street Fighter storyline, it takes place between the events of Street Fighter IV and Street Fighter III, and fully explains everything that transpired in that electrifying time period.

Street Fighter V on PS4

If you got goosebumps from watching our latest story trailer, know that you are definitely not alone. M. Bison and Shadaloo will be a main focus of the story… and I can’t say much more than that right now. We’ll have more details to share about this free update in the coming months, so stay tuned!

Finally, as a big thank you to all the fans who have supported us throughout the year, we are holding one final beta starting January 30th at 12:01 AM Pacific and ending January 31th at 7:00 PM Pacific. If you have been on the fence about getting the game, this will be your last chance to try it out before release so be sure to pre-order for beta access, as well as exclusive costumes! I mean, just look at this guy!

Street Fighter V on PS4

That’s all for now. Until next time!

25 Comments

+ Angelosidad on January 25th, 2016 at 8:18 am said:

I love that you are doing this, I really liked the story telling style of the recent mortal kombat games, so I’m looking forward to what you’ll do with this :)

+ Tigerriot on January 25th, 2016 at 8:27 am said:

I’ll buy the game when it’s actually finished. Story mode should be on the disc.

+ drew327 on January 25th, 2016 at 8:37 am said:

@Tigerriot

Then you will never buy the game, as they are going to be adding to it every year!

+ al2009man on January 25th, 2016 at 1:44 pm said:

Sorry @Tigerriot, but Street Fighter V is a long-term Service. (similar to popular MMOs, DRIVECLUB and others)

+ silphs on January 25th, 2016 at 8:27 am said:

Sounds awersome to me, can’t wait for 16 february, but is great to know that will be one final beta test.

+ saltrack25 on January 25th, 2016 at 8:45 am said:

Neat.

+ MGN1990 on January 25th, 2016 at 9:07 am said:

I love that it’s taking a page from the Mortal Kombat playbook, especially MK9. It really embraced it’s mythos. I like it. I hope it turns out well. Day 1 for me.

+ Avalanche on January 25th, 2016 at 9:25 am said:

anyone know whats the deal on the pre order costumes? i shouldnt have to buy 3 copies from 3 different retailers if i want all of the pre order costumes.

+ Sub-Zero on January 26th, 2016 at 1:49 am said:

Dont feel bad …you dont even get any pre-order costumes for PSN purchase. Sure they will all be avail at some point. But its a terrible practice, that players lose to make retailers happy.

+ capitolc on January 25th, 2016 at 10:33 am said:

So basically, its a mini small movie about the end of the world. Dag you Bison for going so far. I hope you get out in time or else …

+ SilentNova on January 25th, 2016 at 10:58 am said:

First going to be the guy and correct that it is January 31st and not 31th. Minor typo I know, but just one of those things.

Other than that I so freaking excited about this game and cannot wait for its release. Going to jump onto that final beta for certain. Still not as thrilled with V as I was IV, but I love Street Fighter and this looks great and plays smooth. Fight or die!

+ D-Squad3 on January 25th, 2016 at 11:18 am said:

NOOO!!! Why does the last beta have to be at the same as the Division beta? You guys are monsters!

+ Tjoeb123 on January 25th, 2016 at 11:24 am said:

Is this gonna be separate from Arcade Mode, or what…?

But I’m real glad they’re finally doing this! :D

+ gameman15 on January 25th, 2016 at 11:26 am said:

At least the story mode in this game will be for free, instead of doing what EA is doing with Star Wars Battlefront where you can only get the campaign mode if you buy the $50 season pass.

+ Caio_Shadowman on January 25th, 2016 at 12:13 pm said:

*-*

Please add Ingrid and Haggar

+ Vaughn21 on January 25th, 2016 at 12:27 pm said:

Sean. Where is Sean! That’s who I hoped would show up in this one.

+ KazeEternal on January 25th, 2016 at 12:34 pm said:

Hopefully the games music is as epic as that trailers O.O

+ WolfyHopeless on January 25th, 2016 at 12:56 pm said:

WHAT?! NO SKULL-O-MANIA?! GAW!

+ shadysaiyanz on January 25th, 2016 at 1:21 pm said:

@47 second – look in Cammy’s eye, it looks like that other Cammy woman.

Also, who is that woman at 44 seconds? is that cammy too? with her hair down?

+ vstarwow on January 25th, 2016 at 7:57 pm said:

A LOT of DLC incoming…
EX, Alpha, Turbo, Arcade, Remix, Super, Ultra edition…
wanna play the full game? get $200 ready!

+ IcedDice777 on January 25th, 2016 at 8:09 pm said:

Collector’s edition preordered long ago! That Ryu statue will be standing next to my Akuma statue on my mancave, No Mancave would be complete without them :)

Mr. Rosas, pass the word to the Sony and Capcom overlords that Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 Needs to be Remastered for the PS4. Trust us… IT WILL PRINT MONEY!

+ Sub-Zero on January 26th, 2016 at 1:51 am said:

Capcom no longer has the rights to use the Marvel licence. Well will prob get another Vs down the line just not Marvel

+ longevity on January 25th, 2016 at 10:15 pm said:

story mode is definitely value added content

now they need to add an easy input mode for casual players. I can never get hardly anyone to play street fighter because dragon punch, fireball and half circle motions are way too much work for them to learn for a video game.

+ Taiko_us1983 on January 26th, 2016 at 3:15 am said:

Not keen to get it on day one unless it is the post-thought Vita version.

+ SilentNova on January 27th, 2016 at 12:56 pm said:

I wisj Capcom would respond on here more. At least the game is just barely more than two weeks away at this point. Would be nice to know if there is anything special about this last Beta weekend. Also I am still curious what exactly my bonus DLC goodies will be in my CE version.