Watch Dogs 2

Jan 26

Jan 26

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan Hits PS4, PS3 This Summer

Robert Cooper's Avatar Posted by Producer

I get to be Donatello.

At some point, every hardcore TMNT fan picks a favorite. It’s not a selection that we take lightly, and maybe that’s because we know that our Turtle will become something of a lifelong friend. So, we carefully weigh each character’s pros and cons and make our choice based on the Turtle that resonates with our own personality. It might not be a conscious decision, but very few TMNT fans waver after making their initial selection.

Myself? I’m usually more of a “Mikey” kind of guy, but Donnie has the coolest moves. So, if you and I ever play the co-op mode in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan, I get to be Donnie. I called him first.

Before we play, though, you’ll need to select a Turtle. Leonardo’s katanas make him the most well rounded character, thanks to his medium-ranged reach and moderate attack speed. Raphael, on the other hand, is a little bit slower, but he’s a powerhouse. And even though Mikey’s nunchucks limit his strike zone, his attacks are the speediest of the bunch. And Donatello? His staff gives him the longest reach; so I’ll handle the ranged attacks.

If you’ve ever played a title from PlatinumGames, you’ll feel right at home with this one. The combat is fast-paced, silky smooth, and customizable. Each Turtle’s distinctive fighting style compliments the others’ during an online co-op campaign, but you’ll need to select your teammates carefully. Co-op games require constant communication and collaboration, so you probably shouldn’t partner up with that friend who doesn’t reply to text messages for weeks at a time.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan on PS4Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan on PS4

Fans of the comic book series will definitely be familiar with the game’s art. PlatinumGames’ took a lot of inspiration from TMNT artist Mateus Santolouco, combining his distinctive style with their signature visuals, animations, and combat.

Also, did I mention Bebop and Rocksteady? Shredder’s long-time accomplices are making their way back to the video game realm, along with a slew of other iconic enemies. And, for the record, the boss fights are crazy. Every boss has a collection of specialized maneuvers and weapons, forcing players to devise a unique plan of attack and adjusting that plan when everything goes wrong.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan is the game that the fanatics have been salivating for. And I can say that with confidence, because I haven’t stopped drooling since starting the project. We’re anticipating a Summer 2016 release on PS4 and PS3.

Which Turtle will you choose?

Add Your Own

Wario64 said:

January 26th, 7:02 am

Any local co-op?

Trendy_Kid said:

January 26th, 7:44 am

I’m hoping it has some kind of mini-game like Pro-bending in Legend of Korra.

Tinye310 said:

January 26th, 11:49 am

I believe I read on Kotaku and it does.

andrewseddy said:

February 12th, 4:39 pm

Hey

SilentNova said:

January 26th, 7:11 am

The best Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game is still the arcade game from years ago for me. Still bothers me that it only came to Xbox Live Arcade and I traded my 360 towards the Xbox One, so that game is pretty much gone now.

Though you guys appear to be going in the right direction as for someone like me as I cannot stand the new series and as a Donnie fan myself, I hate how they made him super obsessed with April.

Will have to give this a shot since I have been missing some serious TMNT action and love the original comics and cartoon.

Krillinfan said:

January 26th, 7:45 am

Well thankfully that’s only in the cartoon series. Comic this is based on has none of that.

SilentNova said:

January 26th, 7:58 am

I still cannot believe the cartoon series did that. So annoying. Though I am also not a fan of the VAs in the new show either.

Have not gotten around to the new comics. Still own most of the original comics from before the cartoon. As childish as that cartoon was in those days I still prefer it over most of what has come out since.

I will probably pick this up day one.

RGS396 said:

January 26th, 8:03 am

Are you talking about Turtles in Time? If so, that was available for the PS3 for a while.

I think it was removed from the store (those who has already purchased could still download it) due to Konami no longer having the TMNT license.

SilentNova said:

January 26th, 8:15 am

There was one before Turtles in Time. Similar concept though. I would have preferred the original version of Turtles in Time over the 3D version with 8-way run. Not that I do not appreciate the work put into it, I really do.

ChaseHammerJ said:

January 26th, 11:07 am

This was also TMNT: Out of the Shadows. It came out in 2014 and is still available on PS3

veryhoudini11 said:

January 26th, 12:05 pm

My work just got the ninja turtles arcade machine.been obsessed with using my breaks to play it. Definitely a classic. I love platinum games so this game is going to be great even if it doesnt replace the nostalgic love for the arcade one.

SilentNova said:

January 26th, 3:40 pm

I really enjoy most of the Platinum games I have played. Bayonetta, Legend of Korra and Transformers Devastation. The only one I could not get into was Metal Gear Solid Rising.

Skater_Ricky said:

January 26th, 7:16 am

Rumor no more!

This game reminds me of my childhood watching the original TMNT cartoon show with a new twist. I’m excited for the 4 player online Co-op.

I’m not sure who I’d pick first. There all awesome to me.

Best order some Pizza and kick some shells tonight.

rickvargas said:

January 26th, 7:16 am

Loving the art style! Hope this game plays as good as it looks. Also, i’m picking Donatello. :D

BrianMcGuinness said:

January 26th, 7:38 am

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick.

KonietzkyStrain said:

January 26th, 7:38 am

I also agree that the best “TMNT” game is the arcade game… but I really dig the art-style of this one. I am really glad it is geared towards the comics and not those HORRIBLE new reboots.

Raven-Valor95 said:

January 26th, 7:39 am

Is it possible for you to let us know who the Director of TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan is going to be? Thanks :)

Superstone said:

January 26th, 7:45 am

Wish I could play a TMNT game on Vita, and no not remote play.

veryhoudini11 said:

January 26th, 12:08 pm

The vita couldn’t handle this without sacrificing fps or detail and resolution. Plus when has activision shown much care for the vita? Platinum games are better off focusing on making a solid game like they usually do and not with learning a new hardware they have never developed for.

Krillinfan said:

January 26th, 7:47 am

IDW’s comic has been nothing short of amazing, one of the best comics currently running, blows out pretty much anything DC or Marvel have done in the last several years.

That the series writer wrote the story for this game is enough to sell me on it. The rest is just a big, lovely bonus.

Day one for me, dibs on Leo.

Vyprstryke said:

January 26th, 8:24 am

Is this a digital only title or can I buy a disc as well?

LeandroDiFini said:

January 26th, 9:00 am

Maaan…. I really want to play it! Local co-op, please!

mcksalg said:

January 26th, 9:01 am

WOW, I really hope you guys put in a crap load of boss fights, would love to see Baxter, Metalhead, Rat King, Heatherhead, Goundchuck, Slash, Krang, and the Dark Turtles. TMNT has so many good characters to use. Looks very good so far. Hope is feels arcady like the the older games.

SilentNova said:

January 26th, 10:01 am

So many possible bosses before even talking about all the possible aliens and other characters.

SilentNova said:

January 26th, 10:04 am

Sorry. They could also add the four frogs. Atilla, Raspusrin, Ghengis and I forget the other one.

Jesstival said:

January 26th, 10:51 am

No mention of local co-op is scary. Day one buy for me if I can play this with my son. Will skip entirely if I can’t.

BReal1982 said:

January 26th, 10:55 am

Nice! I love the new comics, so I’m glad to hear this is the inspiration rather than the recent movies.

Can we possibly get some skins of the other points in Turtle history and some maps / dlc that recreate stages from the classic arcade games? I imagine there are some legal issues with Konami on the latter, but some sort of deal should be struck. I mean, not having the two arcade games as downloadable titles on PSN is just leaving money on the table, so I imagine there is room for negotiation.

Anddo said:

January 26th, 10:59 am

Very impressed. I can’t believe I’m excited for a Turtles game.

nelson_khoma said:

January 26th, 11:04 am

I hope its better than Transformers Devastation. The graphic looks awesome but i wont pay 60 bucks for another 2hr game again…

BathoryBlaze said:

January 26th, 11:08 am

I’m a huge TMNT fan. And not at all a fan of Platinum Games. I’m being cautiously optimistic. Hopefully this changes my opinion of Platinum Games. I can still taste the sting of that PS3 Bayonetta purchase though haha.

veryhoudini11 said:

January 26th, 12:11 pm

Really? I havent been dissapointed vy them yet. Other than bayonette what other games have you played of theirs. I loved metal gear rising and vanquish.

BathoryBlaze said:

January 26th, 2:44 pm

I played Bayonetta then Legend of Korra then Transformers. Nothing impressed me. I purposely didn’t play that Metal Gear game with Raiden by the way.

gameman15 said:

January 26th, 11:17 am

I really hope this is 100x better than that godawful Out of the Shadows game.

ShadowStar83x said:

January 26th, 11:17 am

Looks awesome. Going to pick Raphael.

Tinye310 said:

January 26th, 11:49 am

I love the art direction. Great choice with all the different styles lately. This feels more like my childhood than anything has in years.

D-Squad3 said:

January 26th, 11:53 am

Hopefully this won’t be as shallow as the legend of korra was.

InitIs said:

January 26th, 1:30 pm

wow wow wow THAT rhyno reminds me the off of the old school arcade tmnt lol how time flys lol

Mo-green28 said:

January 26th, 1:38 pm

Cant wait to play, I hope we can turn off the color glow around the weapons, dont like that. I like the 2003 cartoon turtles look the best but it’s whatever just hope the gameplay is good, and it’s atleast 5-6hrs long with (co-op) survival modes. Speaking of co op also hope the online functions correctly. But yea I like what I see so far… I have no fav. Turtle like em all equally for different reasons.

dizeeStL said:

January 26th, 3:32 pm

day1 buy

paulogy said:

January 26th, 3:53 pm

Wow, this actually looks…. pretty good :-D. I REALLY hope it ultimately has local co-op though, at least for two people, ideally all four.

Avalanche said:

January 26th, 4:15 pm

is this a Digital only game or can i buy a physical copy???

pierre15cool15 said:

January 26th, 6:19 pm

Sorry guys, buy I don’t think there will be a local co-op mode. It states on their website the game will only have a single player campaign and online co-op. In my opinion, I don’t think Platinum Games big fan of local co-op because most of their games are single player and multiplayer.

Thillhouse said:

January 26th, 6:36 pm

What an ugly game. Those noses ruin the whole thing. Nickelodeon needs to take the TMNT license away from Activision.

MGN1990 said:

January 26th, 7:03 pm

I hope this becomes the Arkham City of TMNT. PlatinumGames knows combat, I hope they nail it.

Fuhr31 said:

January 27th, 10:25 am

I’d love an Arkham style TMNT game. This doesn’t look like that at all though.

ETBangin said:

January 26th, 7:28 pm

Donnie…always Donnie.

IcedDice777 said:

January 27th, 3:09 am

Ok, looks good and the online Co-op while i welcome it, it’s supposed to be expected to begin with. It’s The TMNT and the game would’ve benefited greatly by having 4 player Couch Co-op instead, imho.

If Activision and platinum games can Add 4 player couch Co-op they’ll earn my money day on Day 1. If they don’t…

…Assuming i feel charitable, i’ll pick it for $19.99 on Black Friday… assuming i still remember ;)

My .02

Jisatsu_Kiddo said:

January 27th, 3:53 am

I’ll probably get it as a tmnt game is far and few between any more… but I could have done without the Michael Bay turtle design.

dboi_4 said:

January 28th, 9:22 pm

Can’t wait for a release date. luv what i see so far n if it come out before the movie or at the same time that would b great. thank you deep silver. and always thanks to PlayStation for a great gaming experience and the best console(ps4) Thank you.

MIKECOSBY said: