Spider-Man PS4

Feb 03

24664316611_fceb72a043_z

Grand Kingdom Coming to PS4 and PS Vita June 21st

Jordan Vincent's Avatar Posted by on Feb 03, 2016 // Senior Product Marketing Manager, NIS America

When my manager told me I had to put down Disgaea 5 to start looking into some new tactical RPG called Grand Kingdom, I told him “No.” Turns out that doesn’t fly (Who knew?).

I sidled over to our localization team and asked for a build of this game on PS4 and PS Vita, and you know what? I haven’t put it down since. Seriously, this game is legit, and it will be out June 21 of this year. Sharpen your pencils, boys and girls, war is coming!

Grand Kingdom on PS4

One Man’s Vision

The game’s name didn’t really click for me until I saw that it was directed by Tomohiko Deguchi, the director of Grand Knights History — a title that sadly never saw the Western shore. Some of you might better recognize him from an earlier game that he worked on: Muramasa: The Demon Blade.

Mr. Deguchi has taken all the things he learned from those games and put them together into this grand tale. You’ll be traversing the continent of Resonail as the leader of a mercenary group. Along the way, you’ll discover the complex history behind the fall of the Uldein Empire, hire new members to build up your mercenary crew, and spend time fighting under contract for each of four unique countries using an interesting team-building and tactical combat system.

Tactical Triumph

Now, I’m a sucker for pretty much any RPG where I get to train characters and gather cool equipment, but the tactical combat system of Grand Kingdom makes it stand out from the rest. You’ll be fighting on lane-based 2D levels where each unit acts in turn, but their turns play out as real-time movement limited by an Action Gauge similar to Valkyria Chronicles.

Grand Kingdom on PS4Grand Kingdom on PS4

Since each mercenary has their own character class which defines their base stats and the type of attacks they can use, you’ll need to be careful not only about how you use your mercenaries, but also about which mercenaries you pair together. (Hint: a team of all Gunners doesn’t fare so well…)

Each class has their own special skills that are pretty awesome to see. For example, the Dragon Mage’s spells and her fierce-looking dragon’s fiery breath make full use of the game’s gorgeous art and fluid animations to deliver the wild thrill of a screen-filling attack and the smug satisfaction of a perfectly executed tactical decision.

A True Work of Art

I mean, seriously. I am abso-positively in love with this game’s art. We were so excited about the art that one of our designers decided we just had to make a limited edition for Grand Kingdom. He went all-out and compiled a brand-new 128-page art book chock-full of everything from final character art to production sketches and notes.

Grand Kingdom on PS4

Beyond the amazing art book, we’re stuffing a bunch of other goodies into the Limited Edition, so make sure you get all the info on our official site, or check with your favorite retailer.

There’s a lot of meat to this game, so we have a lot more information yet to share in the months leading up to the June 21st launch — most of which you’ll be able to read right here on PS Blog as we announce it. We’ll also be constantly updating our official game website as new things come out, so make sure you head on over there to sign up for our newsletter and snag yourself a free wallpaper!

Thanks for reading, and let me hear the hype, doods! I’ll be around to answer what questions I can in the comments below!

+ goddessmatangi on February 3rd, 2016 at 10:03 am said:

Will the Vita version have a physical launch as well as a digital?

Jordan Vincent's Avatar

+ Jordan Vincent on February 3rd, 2016 at 10:08 am said:

Yup! The Vita version will be available at retail, but it won’t have a launch goodies that the PS4 version will.

Jordan Vincent's Avatar

+ Jordan Vincent on February 3rd, 2016 at 10:43 am said:

@rsoto1125

Ooops! I should have been more clear. The standard retail version for the PS4 will include a mini art book and music CD. These additional goodies will not come with the standard retail version on the Vita. There is a limited edition for both versions. Hope that clears it up!

+ Panzer-Strike on February 3rd, 2016 at 10:15 am said:

Loved Muramasa and can tell this game looks great, sold for Vita!

+ rsoto1125 on February 3rd, 2016 at 10:26 am said:

@Jordan Vincent

Not sure I get what you mean. The site shows a Vita version for both the Limited and Grand editions.

+ Falion on February 4th, 2016 at 10:46 am said:

So excited for this. Thanks for continuing to release these gems in the US, NISA!

+ oshkoshbagosh1 on February 3rd, 2016 at 10:04 am said:

looks great, my vita is ready!

+ StealthReborn-- on February 3rd, 2016 at 10:08 am said:

How much for the Vita version?

+ Twisted_Ian on February 3rd, 2016 at 9:52 pm said:

On the NIS store, it lists the PS4 version as $60. So probably $40.

+ RSevo09 on February 3rd, 2016 at 10:11 am said:

I’ve been hoping for a while that Grand Kingdom on Vita would get localized (it and Exist Archive). Now I’m hoping for a physical vita release, even if it’s limited thru the NISA store. Can’t wait to play it, thanks NISA! (Please also bring over Yomawari, and Hero Must Die, and Exist Archive) Love you guys!!

Jordan Vincent's Avatar

+ Jordan Vincent on February 3rd, 2016 at 10:24 am said:

It will be available as a physical Vita release.

+ Zepherj on February 3rd, 2016 at 10:12 am said:

So excited to play this on PS Vita! Especially seeing as the Banner Saga is a ways off for the handheld. I’ve had my eye on this title for a while, and I think this will easily be one of the games I sink dozens of hours into this year. Thanks for bringing over both versions, but an extra thank you for the Vita version!

+ Matieo10 on February 3rd, 2016 at 10:13 am said:

Okay, I’m interested. Genuinely. Is this going to be available at retailers, eg. Amazon, Best Buy, etc.? Canadian dollar is super weak right now, and as much as I’d love to order from your site, at USD, I can’t :(

Jordan Vincent's Avatar

+ Jordan Vincent on February 3rd, 2016 at 10:27 am said:

The limited edition will be available at retailers other than our online store.

+ mthodmn101 on February 3rd, 2016 at 10:14 am said:

cross-save?

+ Sikachuu on February 3rd, 2016 at 10:16 am said:

The Grand Edition is “Grand”. This is awesome.

Also, thank you for let us choose between Vita or PS4 version, and not just limited the _best_ edition only for PS4.

+ OnTheBus666 on February 3rd, 2016 at 10:24 am said:

Loving all the imports coming to the west!

But Sony… Please… For the love of all things mecha… Please…

BRING US GUNDAM BREAKER 3!!!!!

I can’t think of any more ways to digitally beg you sony! Every rally for GB3 my ps4 needs it and I really want to have access to the DLC otherwise I would totally import it.

+ trastan-san on February 3rd, 2016 at 10:30 am said:

This looks a lot like one of my favorite Sega Saturn classics, Dragon Force. Is there fortification of bases similar to that game? Very curious to know more details!

+ Naozumi on February 3rd, 2016 at 10:37 am said:

Will this have a Japanese voice option?

Jordan Vincent's Avatar

+ Jordan Vincent on February 3rd, 2016 at 10:44 am said:

There will be a Japanese and and English voice option.

+ NinjaMicWZ on February 3rd, 2016 at 10:37 am said:

Sweet, it’s NISA. I was just coming to ask about a physical release. As soon as it goes live for the Vita version, I’ll throw my money at it.

+ Slythex on February 3rd, 2016 at 10:40 am said:

Ooooohhh. I was definitely disappointed when I heard that Gran Knights History was not going to be localized a few years ago. This definitely makes up for it! Looks awesome!

+ GGdiv9 on February 3rd, 2016 at 10:41 am said:

Are the screenshots just placeholders or is it still going to be in Japanese?

Jordan Vincent's Avatar

+ Jordan Vincent on February 3rd, 2016 at 10:45 am said:

The final text will be in English – we don’t have screens to show of that quite yet. :)

+ DragonLord1389 on February 3rd, 2016 at 11:12 am said:

I’m really looking forward to this game, but that Grand Edition has me even more excited for this game. I’ll happily be putting in a pre-order for that. I just wish you guys would let me keep a little bit of my money at least, with all these games and awesome Limited/Special Editions you’re releasing. Oh well, completely worth it.

+ nekokyonshi on February 3rd, 2016 at 11:24 am said:

Screenshots made me instantly think of it being a Generation of Chaos successor. Even though that dream isn’t being filled, it still looks mighty awesome. Can’t wait!

+ Virgil_Infernas on February 3rd, 2016 at 11:38 am said:

No Limited nor Grand Edition for Europe, I guess?

+ mcksalg on February 3rd, 2016 at 11:53 am said:

Only one question is this Digital Crossbuy?

Jordan Vincent's Avatar

+ Jordan Vincent on February 3rd, 2016 at 4:59 pm said:

There are no plans for cross buy at the moment.

+ kdiep on February 3rd, 2016 at 11:54 am said:

Been waiting on Unsung Story and in fact even contributed to its Kickstarter. Well, we all know how that went so I’m happy this one looks like the game I’ve been waiting for. Wish it had Yasumi Matsuno’s type of story though.

+ lovestosploge on February 3rd, 2016 at 11:59 am said:

Will we be getting a simultaneous release in Europe?

Jordan Vincent's Avatar

+ Jordan Vincent on February 3rd, 2016 at 12:51 pm said:

It will be released on 17 June 2016 for Europe. (Look, I can format…I think. ;)

+ mcksalg on February 3rd, 2016 at 12:21 pm said:

I actaully found a review on youtube for this one already lol alot of interesting systems can’t wait.

+ Tinye310 on February 3rd, 2016 at 12:24 pm said:

Vita or PS4… seriously it’s the hardest decision in my life right now. Grand Edition looks super enticing as well. Great collection!

+ Sikachuu on February 3rd, 2016 at 2:54 pm said:

I went with Grand Edition Vita because from what I see from Youtube it looks amazing. The ability to take the game anywhere on Vita is nice.

Also, hey, it’s not often that publisher made a CE for Vita. I gotta support that. :)

+ kurishi14 on February 3rd, 2016 at 12:35 pm said:

Super hyped about this game! I can’t wait to get it on my PS4 :D

+ Mollarom on February 3rd, 2016 at 12:45 pm said:

Day one purchase, for sure.

+ Seluhir on February 3rd, 2016 at 12:54 pm said:

Looks pretty cool. Thanks for bringing it across the pond.

+ TeamGreen615 on February 3rd, 2016 at 2:12 pm said:

One more retail game I will be picking up for my Vita this year! Stranger of Sword City, Odin Sphere, and Lego Star Wars are already on that list. Hopefully we will get some news about the God Eater games, Demon Gaze 2, Y’s, and Final Fantasy Worlds soon. Add Severed and Rainbow Skies digitally and 2016 is going to be a good year for my Vita.

+ Astroking112 on February 3rd, 2016 at 3:31 pm said:

Definitely seems interesting, and with Disgaea moving to a platform that I have no interest in playing it on, I’ll be keeping an eye on this. Maybe it was just Fire Emblem Awakening, but now I find most SRPGs to be more suited to the handheld environment.

+ ShadowStar83x on February 3rd, 2016 at 3:50 pm said:

That looks sweet! Think this will be day 1 for me!

+ perrandy on February 3rd, 2016 at 4:07 pm said:

this game sounds and looks pretty cool and since i’m a tactics fan i will definitely try it.thank you nisa!

Jordan Vincent's Avatar

+ Jordan Vincent on February 3rd, 2016 at 5:00 pm said:

You’re welcome! :D

+ SilverWolf1268 on February 3rd, 2016 at 4:10 pm said:

Differences between Vita and PS4 visually?

+ romogarg on February 3rd, 2016 at 4:53 pm said:

xcom2

+ Souledge94 on February 3rd, 2016 at 5:21 pm said:

I see its going to be dubbed. Thank you for that. I have a question is there like a difficulty setting? Since the game looks neat,but im kinda really bad at these games.

+ ClawOfTheFallen on February 3rd, 2016 at 5:37 pm said:

Thank you very much for localizing this game!
I hope that one day Grand Knights History will get a release in the future as well.
I’m a nut for Nanillaware’s games.
Broke my heart that it’s localization was cancelled.
Still I’m very happy the sequel is getting released!

+ AbsoluteChoice on February 3rd, 2016 at 5:40 pm said:

Woo! This looks awesome! The hybrid with real time action sounds amazing.
Day one buy, thanks for supporting vita, ( especially with that physical release). :D

+ califoreigner on February 3rd, 2016 at 9:43 pm said:

So glad this is coming out west! Was pretty bummed when GKH never made it over :(

+ TheTwelve on February 3rd, 2016 at 10:26 pm said:

I am most surely buying this game!!!

+ DrROBschiz on February 4th, 2016 at 4:54 am said:

So excited for this game I can hardly take it!

THANK YOU SPIKE, NISA, and Tomohiko Deguchi!!!

When we didnt get GKH my heart was broken and then you come back and make this amazing looking title!

Bravo!

+ kevinwedler on February 4th, 2016 at 5:06 am said:

Will the Grand or Limited Edition be available in europe?
I don’t wan’t to miss out on another great artbook.

+ american_36 on February 4th, 2016 at 5:36 am said:

I’m looking forward to more information. But as long as my biggest worries dont come through which are those extreme artstyles Odin Sphere featured, I’ll probably buy it xD

+ SeshiLord on February 4th, 2016 at 6:31 am said:

The game looks legit. THANKS FOR THE VITA SUPPORT!!!

+ TomatoDragon on February 4th, 2016 at 7:27 am said:

This looks beautiful.

+ THE_ENDGAME_BOSS on February 4th, 2016 at 8:09 am said:

Exist Archive next sir so I can continue to throw money at y’all. Glad you’re giving us a chance to buy this!

+ Phoenix_Azure on February 4th, 2016 at 10:59 am said:

This looks amazing and I am super excited to try it out! Does the PS4 version support PS Vita Remote Play?

+ lgwyant on February 4th, 2016 at 1:45 pm said:

Wow, this really looks like the type of game i’ve been waiting for.

+ Smo5000 on February 4th, 2016 at 3:05 pm said:

Oh this looks like MY kind of SRPG. Picking up the limited edition for sure!

+ Shin-X on February 4th, 2016 at 8:44 pm said:

The demo for this game completely sold me on it. This game is fantastic! Super excited to pick this up. Thanks NISA!

+ punchbandit on February 7th, 2016 at 5:15 pm said:

Really looking forward to this!

+ plaztiksyke on February 8th, 2016 at 2:29 pm said:

will the audio assets on PS4 be lossless? a few of these PS4/Vita cross-buy have the super-compressed audio from Vita, which sounds quite muddy on my home theater system.

+ TwiggyDave on February 12th, 2016 at 6:17 am said:

Will the poster be rolled or folded?

+ jpnn80 on February 28th, 2016 at 3:56 pm said:

Any chance to see these special editions announced for Europe as well, like it was done for the one of Dragon’s Crown, as for now Amazon has only the standard ones ?