Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Feb 09

24807242981_219c04c180_z

Screencheat Launches March 1st on PS4

24807242981_219c04c180_z

Nicholas McDonnell's Avatar Posted by on Feb 09, 2016 // Designer, Samurai Punk

Hi everyone! I’m Nicholas McDonnell from Samurai Punk and I’d just like to say thanks to everyone who came by and checked out the PS4 version of Screencheat at PAX Prime and PlayStation Experience. It was great to meet everyone!

We’re also excited to announce that Screencheat will be coming to PS4 on March 1st.

Screencheat on PS4

If you haven’t heard of Screencheat yet, it’s a split-screen first-person shooter that centers around the conceit of screen cheating/peeping/looking (looking at the screens of other players to locate their position). In Screencheat all players are invisible, turning this controversial tactic into the core mechanic of the game.

Although the initial version of the game launched on PC, the PS4 version of Screencheat will launch with all the work we’ve done over the past year to build on the core experience and make it the best local/online multiplayer game for you and your friends.

This includes all the new maps, weapons, modes, mutators, and granular customization options, eight-player support and solo training challenges. The most recent additions to the game’s roster of features include AI bots which can join you in games locally and online. Along with a new map Museum II. Evoking the feel of the first map, Museum, it takes what was great for new players but extends its tactical depth for experts.

Screencheat on PS4

You will be able to play all of this with up to four players locally on the couch, or up to eight with a mix of couch and online players via either matchmaking or private games. Additionally part of our work has been adding a wide range of languages including English, French, German, Russian, Dutch, and Portuguese. We’ve also just partnered with H2 and Playism to localize the game into Japanese, Simplified Chinese, and Korean — and bring the game to Sony Asia and Japan regions around the same time as Europe and America.

We can’t wait to get Screencheat out to everyone in March so lock in the date, grab your friends, and get ready for a party.

Much Love,
Samurai Punk

+ jman17774 on February 9th, 2016 at 8:11 am said:

This looks amazing!! I used to LOVE screen cheating when playing GoldenEye on the N64 with my younger brothers! Maybe if I get this the nostalgic feeling will come rushing back. :)

Good work on such a GREAT concept guys/gals/samurai!

+ Vyprstryke on February 9th, 2016 at 8:13 am said:

This sounds rather unique. How would online work for this tho if the core mechanic is looking at other players screens lol?

Nicholas McDonnell's Avatar

+ Nicholas McDonnell on February 9th, 2016 at 1:45 pm said:

The online play looks just like the local play so we show all players screens.

+ JeroenVermunt on February 9th, 2016 at 8:39 am said:

It could just work exactly the same. Have a split screen even tough you’re playing online?

+ GGGGit on February 9th, 2016 at 9:10 am said:

I remember seeing this from E3 last year. This game looks like a lot of fun. Your on my radar Samurai Punk.

+ saab01 on February 9th, 2016 at 9:52 am said:

Interesting idea I like the concept. Any news on a price point hopefully it will not be overpriced like all the other games lately on psn.

+ paulogy on February 9th, 2016 at 10:32 am said:

Looks like a great throwback to the days when local multiplayer was all there was, with an understanding of what more recent games do well, too :-)

In terms of local gameplay modes, are there any 2v2 or 3v1 options, or is it all 4 player vs. eachother?

Nicholas McDonnell's Avatar

+ Nicholas McDonnell on February 9th, 2016 at 1:47 pm said:

So it’s 2-4 players locally and 2-8 online, in either modes of play nearly all the gamemodes have team variants which allow you to play 2v2 or 3v1 or even 2v2v2v2.

+ paulogy on February 9th, 2016 at 3:46 pm said:

Sounds great, thanks!

+ Crunchewy on February 9th, 2016 at 10:46 am said:

This sounds fun, but I’m curious about the online play. The idea with this game is that you look at other players screens, thus the screencheat, but online play is up to 8 players. Are you really going to split the screen 8 ways, or how exactly is this going to work with that many players in a match?

Nicholas McDonnell's Avatar

+ Nicholas McDonnell on February 9th, 2016 at 1:50 pm said:

So online play is exactly the same with local in how we split the screens. We only allow 8 players in private games as it can get a little hectic but we still think it can be pretty fun. With that many players we split the screen as a 3×3 with the centre square for the scorecards.

+ plaztiksyke on February 9th, 2016 at 12:07 pm said:

I like this gameplay concept, but this is not what I would expect a 3D game to look like on PS4. Static lighting, seemingly total lack of shaders, and bizarrely low-poly geometry.

If it was a retro look with some modern tweaks, like Tenebrae Quake, I could see the intentional design/charm. If it was cross-platform with Vita, I could understand having to find a middle-ground between the platforms as a constraint.

The lack of modern polish in the look does not give me high hopes for the AI implementation. (Then again, Brink was a beautiful game where the poor AI and lack of updates killed otherwise fun gameplay.)

+ ChristenaFevelyn on February 11th, 2016 at 3:29 am said:

I’m making over $7k a month working part time. I kept hearing other people tell me how much money they can make online so I decided to look into it. Well, it was all true and has totally changed my life. This is what I do… Earnmore9.com