Days Gone

Feb 10

24706016741_8669b90d6f_z

Post-apocalyptic Survival Game Sheltered Heading to PS4

Sonny Meek's Avatar Posted by on Feb 10, 2016 // Co-founder, Unicube Studios

I’m Sonny Meek, co-founder, designer, and artist of Unicube Studios. Unicube is a small, two-man studio comprised of myself and my co-founder Dean. Dean and I are avid gamers, just like you, and I’m here today to tell you all about our debut game Sheltered!

Sheltered on PS4

Before working on Sheltered, myself and Dean had done some stints at university and retail jobs, but now we’re actually making our game development dream come true. Since January 2015, we’ve been working out of Team17’s offices and they’ve been helping support us make Sheltered be the best possible game we imagined.

So what is Sheltered? Well, at its core it’s a post-apocalyptic survival game with some pretty complicated mechanics that we believe bring it snugly into the roguelike arena. In Sheltered you’ll find some familiar mechanics: scavenging for supplies, crafting, building, and maintaining your shelter, but that’s where familiarity ends. Sheltered doesn’t focus on soul survivors, but an average family. Your family.

You start the game with two adults, two children, and a trusty pet. How you customize your family is entirely in your hands — choose their appearance, sex, traits, and name them. It’s this that makes Sheltered stand out so prominently.

Sheltered on PS4Sheltered on PS4

The game has its hardships, and facing them as a family unit brings real emotional bonds and attachment, making every day decisions carry weight and difficulty. How will you cope when a child needs food, but doesn’t have any? Your dog, a loyal and trusty addition to the family is hungry — does he go without for the sake of the rest of the family? Does he… become the main food source himself?

Everyday survival is the main goal in Sheltered, but venturing out is just as important as battening down the hatches. In the wasteland you can find like-minded survivors, or people who are just thirsty for havoc. People can break into your shelter, and you’ll really have to bring out your strategic A-Game, setting traps and creating panic rooms for your family members. At every corner in Sheltered there’s an opportunity to improve your situation, or bring it crashing down like a house of cards!

Sheltered on PS4

Sheltered doesn’t pull any punches. If one of your family members dies then that’s it and you’ll have to find ways for the remaining members to cope. It’s game over when all family members die. How long will you be able to survive?

Thanks for reading! We’re so looking forward to bringing Sheltered to PS4 and we cannot wait to see your own survival plans in action and hear how many days you’re able to survive for when the game launches in the coming months.

+ Supermoon11 on February 10th, 2016 at 7:06 am said:

Looks Awesome cant wait, does this have a chance of coming to the Vita?

Sonny Meek's Avatar

+ Sonny Meek on February 10th, 2016 at 7:15 am said:

At this moment in time we don’t have any plans for Vita, but we’ll never say never!

+ xXjhutzXx on February 10th, 2016 at 7:07 am said:

Release date?

Sonny Meek's Avatar

+ Sonny Meek on February 10th, 2016 at 7:14 am said:

We don’t have a specific release date just yet, but it’s coming very soon I can assure you!

+ Squareh00r on February 10th, 2016 at 7:16 am said:

Looks and sounds great! Can’t wait to see it in action, and to play it as well :)

Sonny Meek's Avatar

+ Sonny Meek on February 10th, 2016 at 7:18 am said:

Won’t be too long now, Square. Glad you’re excited to play it!

+ Stinkdeken on February 10th, 2016 at 7:21 am said:

Yes! Backer here, now I can finally play it on my Kinda Funny PS4!!

Haaai Colin/Greg

Sonny Meek's Avatar

+ Sonny Meek on February 10th, 2016 at 7:23 am said:

Thanks for backing the game, Stinkdeken! People like yourself helped bring the game to this point!

+ Hemming87 on February 10th, 2016 at 7:27 am said:

Been looking forward to this ever since I backed it on Kickstarter. It’s come a long way since then, and it looks great!

+ rashhour96 on February 10th, 2016 at 8:01 am said:

is this coming to playstation store asia as well?

+ LiquifySolid on February 10th, 2016 at 8:26 am said:

I hope so, we in Asia are suffering from a lack of parity!

+ DillSauceAK14 on February 10th, 2016 at 8:12 am said:

Looks Awesome!!! I never played a lot of survival games but I will give this game a shot

+ peafam69 on February 10th, 2016 at 8:17 am said:

Any idea on how much it’ll cost? Looking forward to it, keep up the great work

Sonny Meek's Avatar

+ Sonny Meek on February 10th, 2016 at 8:25 am said:

No solid price yet as yet, peafam. If you look at our current pricing on other platforms you can get a better idea :)

+ LiquifySolid on February 10th, 2016 at 8:25 am said:

TROPHIES!?

Sonny Meek's Avatar

+ Sonny Meek on February 10th, 2016 at 8:28 am said:

Hey, Liquify. Yes, absolutely there will be trophies! Some really interesting ones, too!

+ ac13nva on February 10th, 2016 at 9:02 am said:

You sir, have my interest. i do think think I will be bad at the game if there is an option to choose sex

Sonny Meek's Avatar

+ Sonny Meek on February 10th, 2016 at 9:16 am said:

Hey, Ac13, you can indeed choose sex. You can have same-sex couples!

+ Hakumen__ on February 10th, 2016 at 9:36 am said:

I hope you will be able to bring this game to PS Vita in the future.

+ RockBlackstone on February 10th, 2016 at 9:53 am said:

This game would be amazing on Vita. Please make it happen if you can!

+ NickNacca611 on February 10th, 2016 at 10:04 am said:

This looks cool. I’ll play it. It’s reminiscent of “This War of Mine.”

+ Fear_Me_All on February 10th, 2016 at 12:01 pm said:

look interesting! got my attention!

+ fireskullCAMERO on February 10th, 2016 at 12:27 pm said:

Umm. Probably a stupid question but when your and if your whole family dies, can you start over?

+ the_slackers- on February 10th, 2016 at 1:37 pm said:

Looks and sounds perfect for the vita! Do it, lads.

+ dhunter_12 on February 10th, 2016 at 3:38 pm said:

Yep, sounds perfect for the vita!

+ Goddess_Mushu on February 10th, 2016 at 5:26 pm said:

So glad to see it’s finally coming to PS4! You guys have come such a long way I can’t wait to see what comes next! :)

Please be kind with the trophies ;)

+ cowmamba on February 10th, 2016 at 6:44 pm said:

Wow it does look perfect for the Vita!

+ ChristenaFevelyn on February 11th, 2016 at 3:28 am said:

I’m making over $7k a month working part time. I kept hearing other people tell me how much money they can make online so I decided to look into it. Well, it was all true and has totally changed my life. This is what I do… Earnmore9.com

+ IcedDice777 on February 11th, 2016 at 4:35 am said:

Looks interesting. Will buy Day 1.

+ KonietzkyStrain on February 11th, 2016 at 8:36 am said:

Another game I can remove from my Steam WIshlist. I have dropped my list from 80 games down to 10 in the last six months.

+ PUREPERFECTlON- on February 11th, 2016 at 12:28 pm said:

What will be the price for this game and will it be online?

+ plaztiksyke on February 11th, 2016 at 1:15 pm said:

Thanks so much for allowing same-sex parents/relationships!!

What are the inspirations for the resolution and color palette? 256-color VGA, or..?

+ Slimwiggins on February 11th, 2016 at 5:25 pm said:

This would be perfect on the Vita. Perhaps I’ll buy the ps4 version in hopes of adding support for Vita. Looks fun.

+ SteelC4 on February 13th, 2016 at 8:59 pm said:

This sounds really interesting. I’m excited! A Vita port would make it a definite purchase for me.