PlayStation Vue - One Punch Man

Feb 11

Knights and Bikes Confirmed for PS4

Rex Crowle's Avatar Posted by on Feb 11, 2016 // Co-founder, Foam Sword

Today feels like we are cycling downhill on an out-of-control bike, with a pocket full of water-balloons and a grin from ear-to-ear. Why? Because Knights and Bikes is coming to PS4!

Knights & Bikes on PS4 (GIF)

It’s exciting for us because we’re the biggest fans of PlayStation and its games — we’ve even been lucky enough to work on some of them like LittleBigPlanet, Tearaway, and Ratchet and Clank, and we definitely didn’t want that to stop even after going indie! We’re currently running a campaign on Kickstarter, so we should introduce ourselves properly…

We are Rex Crowle and Moo Yu and together we are Foam Sword! I was the Creative Lead on both Tearaway and Tearaway Unfolded, Moo was the Lead Gameplay Programmer on Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction, and we both worked on LittleBigPlanet. In fact, it’s where we met!

So what are we making now? Well, Knights and Bikes is a co-op action adventure game, inspired by our own childhoods and some of our favorite movies and games like The Goonies, Earthbound, and Secret of Mana.

Knights and Bikes takes place on Penfurzy Island, off the coast of Cornwall; a place of medieval legend and modern tourism. Our story starts in 1987 when the island is under threat from a number of forces, ancient and modern, which can only be tackled by the island’s most overlooked heroes: its children.

Knights & Bikes on PS4Knights & Bikes on PS4

You play as Nessa, Demelza, and their gang of helpers. Nessa is an outsider from the mainland, who is searching for her family’s past. Demelza is an imaginative local who still believes in the island’s ancient legend (spurred on by her favourite video game). Together they explore the island on foot and on bikes, seeking the truth, searching for treasure, recruiting new gang members, and learning more about the adult world.

The island might be under threat, but how will our heroes deal with it? By fighting like kids! Use your ingenuity to splash enemies with mud or swerve a Frisbee past their shields; hack video game hardware to use against them, or build a lance and surprise enemies with some bike-jousting!

Knights and Bikes is a dream project for us. A combination of childhood memories, the power of imagination, and the wonderful gift that video games can be. While you can play it on your own and it’ll be a great experience, it’s also built for co-op play, so you can team up with a friend and explore the beautifully hand-painted world together.

Knights & Bikes on PS4 (GIF)

And this is why we think the game is perfect for PS4, as PlayStation has always been about bringing people together. And with SharePlay, you can even reunite with that childhood-friend who moved far, far away.

We’re so excited to bring Knights and Bikes to PS4 and we hope you’ll ride along with us!

+ Crunchewy on February 11th, 2016 at 7:16 am said:

I’m disappointed to see you say that it relies on SharePlay for online. SharePlay is no substitute for native online play. For one thing only the host earns trophies in SharePlay. I hope you’ll re-consider not having online play built-in.

+ mugathur on February 11th, 2016 at 7:26 am said:

Moo here. Totally understand. Online co-op is something we’d love to do, but we don’t want to promise until we’re 100% sure we can deliver it. :)

+ Squareh00r on February 11th, 2016 at 7:16 am said:

This is great news :) Am already a backer and now adjusted my pledge to get the PS4 version :) Can’t wait to play the game :D

Rex Crowle's Avatar

+ Rex Crowle on February 11th, 2016 at 9:56 am said:

Thanks! We really appreciate that :)

+ gerneric123 on February 11th, 2016 at 7:18 am said:

Not on Vita, not interested. Sorry (not sorry?).

+ derb on February 11th, 2016 at 7:27 am said:

Dunno what you mean about “Vita”

Is that a different game? Is it good?

+ Vengeance1138 on February 11th, 2016 at 7:20 am said:

Title still says you’re the Creative Lead at Media Molecule, might wanna change that as it looks like this is a Media Molecule game.

+ liammill18 on February 11th, 2016 at 7:23 am said:

I hope you guys will consider doing a Vita version of the game!

+ Ind3structoman on February 11th, 2016 at 7:37 am said:

Rex and Moo,
Thank you for the post! I look forward to playing this game with my brother.

+ mugathur on February 11th, 2016 at 7:58 am said:

Awesome! I wonder if I can convince my brother to play video games again like when we were kids. It’ll be worth a try!

+ kitler53 on February 11th, 2016 at 7:54 am said:

w00t w00t!!

i figured it would come to playstation based on the team’s prior affiliations but glad to hear it confirmed. very much looking forward to this!!

Rex Crowle's Avatar

+ Rex Crowle on February 11th, 2016 at 10:00 am said:

Circle-Square-Triangle-Cross forever!

+ mugathur on February 11th, 2016 at 8:11 am said:

Yeah. We really do love playstation. We just had to dot all the Is and cross all the Ts. :)

+ the_FREELANCER on February 11th, 2016 at 8:24 am said:

Congrats! I fell in love with it the first time I saw it, can’t wait!!

+ mugathur on February 11th, 2016 at 8:27 am said:

Thank you! We’re so happy with what it has become. :)

+ KonietzkyStrain on February 11th, 2016 at 8:35 am said:

Glad this is coming to the PS4. Seriously love the art-style of their games.

+ THE_ENDGAME_BOSS on February 11th, 2016 at 8:43 am said:

I could tell the MM influence from the trailer! Looks amazing I must say and glad it’s coming to PS4! Please make sure to get that Secret of Mana ( Loved this game as a kid) feel perfectly and I hoping for online play as well. 3 player co op please.

+ mugathur on February 11th, 2016 at 9:11 am said:

We’re still debating whether or not Captain Honkers is playable. Surely he (she?) has to be! :)

+ DirjelJunshin on February 11th, 2016 at 9:07 am said:

Never heard of this game. Looks cute. I’ll keep you guys on my radar :)

Rex Crowle's Avatar

+ Rex Crowle on February 11th, 2016 at 9:58 am said:

Thanks! We are happy to be on your radar now *waves*

+ cubbielovr on February 11th, 2016 at 9:36 am said:

I just backed the Kickstarter campaign now that I know I can play this on my PS4. Keep up the good work, you all!

Rex Crowle's Avatar

+ Rex Crowle on February 11th, 2016 at 10:03 am said:

Thanks for the support!

+ paulogy on February 11th, 2016 at 9:59 am said:

I love the look of this, and I’m glad it’s coming to PS4 now, too (provided the Kickstarter is successful, which I hope it is :-)

And the phrase, “it’s also built for co-op play” is music to my ears! I enjoyed Costume Quest, but thought it would have been that much better with local co-op, especially given there was a sequel. Glad Knights and Bikes will have that :-)

Rex Crowle's Avatar

+ Rex Crowle on February 11th, 2016 at 10:07 am said:

We’re hoping the Kickstarter is successful as well, as we’re having a lot of fun building this world and expanding the gameplay all the time.

And making it a co-op adventure means its more enjoyable for us to play while we’re making it!

+ boxmyth on February 11th, 2016 at 10:10 am said:

Already backed before the PS4 news since I hoped you’d add PS4 as a platform.
Yay hope! This look amazing.

+ plaztiksyke on February 11th, 2016 at 10:21 am said:

This looks simply amazing, went and backed it immediately.

I’m sad to hear you guys aren’t at Media Molecule anymore — is that a permanent departure?

I understand that ambitious games using Unity are non-trivial/impossible to bring to Vita without nearly double the work. I would ask that you have the licensing/contracts in place to be able to tune/optimize the game on PS4 well before the release. I love Firewatch so far, but the Campo Santo guys were remiss on optimizing for the platform and it was pretty distracting during gameplay.

who is doing the music?

Rex Crowle's Avatar

+ Rex Crowle on February 11th, 2016 at 10:58 am said:

Thanks Plaztiksyke! I still work part of the week at MM, which is what I’ve been doing off and on for 10 years now. So Knights And Bikes is kind of like a solo-album (but by the two of us!) so that Moo and myself can try out some different things.

We’re lucky to have had lots of experience making Playstation games in the past, so we’ll definitely make sure we put the time into optimisation.

And for audio, so far we have been collaborating with Kenny Young (who was Audio Lead on Tearaway/LittleBigPlanet and Daniel Pemberton (who composed the LittleBigPlanet theme, as well as doing film scores for Steve Jobs and The Man From Uncle). They are awesome!

+ plaztiksyke on February 11th, 2016 at 10:22 am said:

oh, and will there be any use of the motion controls or touch surface on the DS4? I’d love to see all the practice you guys had in leveraging those PS4-specific features in Tearaway be applied to a totally different genre/game!

Rex Crowle's Avatar

+ Rex Crowle on February 11th, 2016 at 11:00 am said:

We don’t have anything we can share on that just yet, but I know one thing – I will not allow the touchpad to just be used as a big Start/Select button. That just makes me mad! :D

+ Shadowbhiemes on February 11th, 2016 at 10:34 am said:

So are you guys still a part of MM, and this project is just a separate offshoot? or did you leave? :(

In any case it’s great to see this is coming to PS4, I just hope online co-op can eventually be a reality.

Rex Crowle's Avatar

+ Rex Crowle on February 11th, 2016 at 4:03 pm said:

I still work at Mm for a couple days a week on Dreams, but this is a project that me and Moo have wanted to do, to create a special type of atmosphere and art-style, and have really fast and fun gameplay that suits the setting :)

+ Hayades on February 11th, 2016 at 12:28 pm said:

This looks awesome as heck. I will definitely buy this when it comes out (and it will, no doubt about it). By the way, is there a way you guys could release the song from the trailer on youtube or online somewhere. I am an author and would love to listen to the song on repeat while writing. Good day

Rex Crowle's Avatar

+ Rex Crowle on February 11th, 2016 at 3:59 pm said:

Thanks Hayades, it is on YouTube – at least the trailer is, with the same song. I find myself humming it myself while working on art for the game. I hope it helpful with your writing!

+ Jake_Indiman on February 11th, 2016 at 1:50 pm said:

Good Golly. I just saw the Kickstarter the other day. That was fast! Thanks Rex, Moo. You have my support!

Rex Crowle's Avatar

+ Rex Crowle on February 11th, 2016 at 4:04 pm said:

Thanks Jake!

+ neoprime33 on February 11th, 2016 at 3:48 pm said:

I was so hoping this would be on PlayStation when I backed it! YES!!!

Rex Crowle's Avatar

+ Rex Crowle on February 11th, 2016 at 4:05 pm said:

We were hoping the same as we were building it! :)

+ Ernestinacgarcia on February 12th, 2016 at 3:40 am said:

I’m making over $7k a month working part time. I kept hearing other people tell me how much money they can make online so I decided to look into it. Well, it was all true and has totally changed my life. This is what I do…

+ derb on February 12th, 2016 at 9:08 am said:

I earn 16K per day reporting spam to PlayStation. :D

+ Jackal888 on February 12th, 2016 at 4:52 pm said:

I have been falling back in love with RPGs.

+ Laidbackcat on February 13th, 2016 at 3:12 am said:

Wonderful news that its coming to ps4 thank you. Its amazing how many parts of real Cornwall are reflected in Penfurzy in just the trailer alone, the vibe of the place is captured perfectly. Please please can it have a flambards section and a St Ives cliffpath tin mine mission with knockers in it …. Ohh, and the Zelah big dipper, great on a bike lol. Seriously though, great news and i’ll be promoting the game to all my psn m8’s. Think Im as excited for this as I am for Dreams !

+ Welmosca on February 16th, 2016 at 10:55 am said:

A bit late for comment but anyway…I need to see some gameplay but seeing the record of you guys this looks promising.Looking forward to see more about it.