PlayStation Vue

Feb 11

Firewatch

PlayStation Blogcast 196: Ranger of a Lonely Heart

Justin Massongill's Avatar Posted by on Feb 11, 2016 // Social Media Manager, SIEA

Subscribe via iTunes or RSS, or download here

Join the Blogcast gang as we enjoy a quieter, more intimate show (read: Sid couldn’t make it this week) and continue our discussion about gaming masterpieces. Inspired by this week’s release of Firewatch, we recall games that nail the feeling of loneliness and isolation, veering dangerously close to an actual serious conversation. All this, plus next week’s new PlayStation Store releases (Street Fighter V!) and more, on this week’s episode of the PlayStation Blogcast.

Stuff We Talked About

• Firewatch
  • Tharsis
  • Sid’s groceries
  • SOMA
  • Street Fighter V
  • Vote to Play
  • Lonely games and masterpieces
  • Not a Hero

Recent Episodes

The Cast

Official PlayStation.Blogcast - Nick SuttnerOfficial PlayStation Blogcast: Justin MassongillOfficial PlayStation Blogcast: Ryan Clements

Nick Suttner – Lead Account Manager, SCEA
Justin Massongill – Social Media Manager, SCEA
Ryan Clements – Social Media Specialist, SCEA

Send us questions and tips! blogcast@playstation.sony.com
Leave us a voicemail! (650) 288-6706

Thanks to Cory Schmitz for our beautiful logo and Dormilón for our rad theme song and show music.

19 Comments   1 Reply

+ ramn14 on February 11th, 2016 at 5:22 pm said:

Looking forward for Sid’s groceries section
It should be hungry inducing
Greetings from Costa Rica

Justin Massongill's Avatar

+ Justin Massongill on February 11th, 2016 at 5:32 pm said:

The groceries segment certainly induced something. Pass our greetings along to the rest of Costa Rica, and thank you for listening!

+ bam37 on February 11th, 2016 at 6:01 pm said:

love firewatch jus hope they patch the frame rate thats my only gripe…..

+ RCU005 on February 11th, 2016 at 7:27 pm said:

Hi, is it possible to remove or switch off the live stream previews from the “Content Info Area” on the PS4? Those things spoil games!

I got Neptunia spoiled because it had a picture from late in the game. It also spoiled the final boss of Wolfenstein, and I don’t even want to play the game anymore, and I just had started! I get that Sony wants us to focus n social features, but that thing is unacceptable. To put it as a huge chunk of the screen, all the way to the top, so that the first thing we see is a huge SPOILER! It was much better when the thing at the top was your trophy progress. That’s what’s supposed to be at the top!

How can I ask for a refund of Wolfenstein? I don’t need to play the game anymore. It got spoiled!

+ Tjoeb123 on February 11th, 2016 at 7:40 pm said:

Exactly.

Thankfully I didn’t encounter too many Neptunia VII spoilers there (but I did elsewhere on the Internet…..), but I second this. There are times where I might wanna browse user-generated screens and streams (…hey, that rhymes!), but there are others where I would very much like to browse the content info area for things like DLC and activities, without the blantant spoiler material.

+ The_Rogue_Ewok on February 12th, 2016 at 1:05 am said:

I would still recommend playing through Wolfenstein. There are several plot points that occur before then that the screenshot wouldn’t have spoiled, and it really is a fantastic game.

That said, I do agree that it would be nice to disable the previews from automatically showing/playing.

+ cjkloster on February 13th, 2016 at 6:15 pm said:

This is where you go to discuss the week’s blogcast, not make requests for Sony to change features of their products…

+ Tjoeb123 on February 11th, 2016 at 7:36 pm said:

I know I kinda keep bringing up Neptunia a bit here in the comments, but….that title, man.

For those who don’t know, Noire (aka Black Heart) is basically the PlayStation goddess who has no friends. One of the series staples is Neptune (aka Purple Heart) occasionally making fun of her by calling her Lonely Heart.

+ The_Rogue_Ewok on February 12th, 2016 at 1:20 am said:

Metro 2033 had a very lonely feel, partly due to the structure of the narrative, but the environments really add to this. In fact, I’m not sure which areas were more lonely – the dark, claustrophobic metro tunnels, or the expansive, abandoned wasteland at the surface. Playdead’s Limbo also fits this theme well.

Great show guys! I’m really enjoying these discussion segments. :)

+ Ernestinacgarcia on February 12th, 2016 at 3:40 am said:

I’m making over $7k a month working part time. I kept hearing other people tell me how much money they can make online so I decided to look into it. Well, it was all true and has totally changed my life. This is what I do… Earnmore9.com

+ gohan16ken on February 12th, 2016 at 7:32 am said:

1. Please support plug and play for external HDD on the PS3 or at least remove the 10% reserve of the usable HDD for future PS3 OS update
2. Please support ultraviolet with PS Video
3. Please make PS Now more like iTunes and PS Video and not like Netflix. Support ownership
4. Please allow those who bought PS3 games digitally to get a PS Now copy
5. Please support 2-step verification for PSN
6. Please support a pin code for PSN

Thanks.

+ klassymike on February 12th, 2016 at 8:51 am said:

gohan16ken
    Here’s an idea……Stop spamming every post with your unrelated outlandish requests! It got old a very long time ago!!

+ gohan16ken on February 12th, 2016 at 10:00 am said:

Thanks again for your reply @klassymike. You do now that if Sony has an issue with me, they could easily delete my message and/or block me.

+ cjkloster on February 13th, 2016 at 6:16 pm said:

I’m with klassy. Please stop.

+ Naberios on February 12th, 2016 at 10:24 am said:

You realize that a lot of times you can find some of those “grocery” items, especially paper products, cheaper on Amazon. Particularly if you option for the “subscription” (I think that’s what it’s called) option. It’s not always because someone doesn’t want to make a trip to the store.

+ Naberios on February 12th, 2016 at 10:25 am said:

*go* not option…

+ Valde_zerocool on February 12th, 2016 at 10:28 am said:

Minecraft makes me feel alone, with the somber music and not many humanoid NPCs in sight it’s actually kinda desolate.

Nick shouldn’t be so judgemental when it comes to Sids groceries, let him live his life.

+ Ind3structoman on February 13th, 2016 at 11:59 am said:

Gentlemen,
Thank you for another great blogcast. Nick, I can vouch for arcade machines in laundromats. When I was younger, there used to be a laundromat down the road from my house that had an X-Men vs. Street Fighter machine. A lot of working-class parents have to bring their kids with them when they do laundry, so arcade machines are a nice way to occupy their little ones!

+ cjkloster on February 13th, 2016 at 6:22 pm said:

I also have memories of arcade cabinets in laundrymats.

I must say that I’m a big fan of Sid’s groceries, but this box was the most boring yet. Where’s the ridiculous stuff in multiples? Spatulas, toothbrushes, and tea…

I’m minecrafted out at this point, but I would agree that the first time I played through the first night was probably the most lonely I’ve ever felt in a game.

+ StuTX on February 15th, 2016 at 4:00 pm said:

Kindoms of Amalur is a very fun game if I do say so myself. I thought the DLC packed some solid content as well.
I would have to agree that Limbo gave a very lonely & desolate feeling.