Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Feb 23

24487910054_184fd5f68d_z

Risk of Rain Heading to PS4, PS Vita

Duncan Drummond's Avatar Posted by on Feb 23, 2016 // Co-founder, Hopoo Games LLC

While we were developing Risk of Rain, we never expected our game to gain a dedicated following. We were just two college students working out of our dorms in our free time, doing something we loved — making and playing games!

Three years later, Hopoo Games and Code Mystics have partnered up to send Risk of Rain to PS4 and PS Vita! While PC gamers will be familiar with Risk of Rain, we have a few new features to the game’s online system — exclusive to PlayStation owners.

Thanks to the PlayStation Network, we now have automatic matchmaking integrated into Risk of Rain. With just one press of a button you’ll be automatically placed into a lobby with up to three other players around the world — no IP address or port forwarding required. Just online fun.

But what would Risk of Rain be without playing with friends? Now you can play on the couch, and on the internet — all at once! While we still have the four-player local co-op available in Risk of Rain, you can now play online lobbies while sharing a machine with your friend — up to two per machine. Wanna just play online instead? You can also invite your friends into your lobby through PSN to get all your game buddies into one lobby.

Risk of Rain on PS4, PS VitaRisk of Rain on PS4, PS Vita

“But Duncan, what if my friend is on PS Vita and I’m on PS4?” No worries — we know that people prefer playing on their own platform, so now we also have cross-platform online support between PS Vita and PS4. That means that both a player sitting on the couch on his PS4 and a player on the bus playing on his PS Vita can enjoy Risk of Rain chaos — together.

These changes are all aimed at letting Risk of Rain do what it’s best at — a fun, but brutally hard time with friends. With automatic matchmaking, local co-op integration with online lobbies, and cross-platform support, we’re hoping that the online experience is the best possible for players.

Risk of Rain on PS4, PS Vita

And for all our new PlayStation fans — thank you so much for your support, and prepare to die. A lot.

See you on the planet.

+ janusfilmsfan on February 23rd, 2016 at 8:06 am said:

Can’t wait! Love hearing news about this game. I thought y’all may have given up on porting it over. ;)

+ benhofb on February 23rd, 2016 at 8:09 am said:

Awesome! Hope we get a TBA sometime soon (other than early 2016, haha)!

+ Zwiki on February 23rd, 2016 at 8:56 am said:

I think you meant ETA, which I hope we get soon too!

+ reson8er on February 23rd, 2016 at 8:12 am said:

Very cool, thanks for bringing this to PlayStation! Looking forward to playing this.

+ Gorvi on February 23rd, 2016 at 8:12 am said:

Is it also Cross Buy? I’m really looking forward to RoR.

Duncan Drummond's Avatar

+ Duncan Drummond on February 23rd, 2016 at 10:32 am said:

Yes! We will have Cross Buy between the PS Vita and the PS4.

+ luvtoseek on February 23rd, 2016 at 12:40 pm said:

@Duncan- woo-hoo! Can’t wait to play your creation!

+ Supermoon11 on February 23rd, 2016 at 8:15 am said:

So what was your inspiration for this game? it reminded me of Nuclear Throne combined with a Platformer & Co-op. I’ll be supporting this game since its coming to the Vita.
You should come over to Kinda Funny and showcase the game.

P.S I LOVE YOU XOXO

+ edgehead22 on February 23rd, 2016 at 8:16 am said:

“so now we also have cross-platform online support between PS Vita and PS4”

Awesome! Can’t wait to play this.

+ tusunami on February 23rd, 2016 at 8:32 am said:

To those that gave up on the PS Vita you gotta believe.

+ Zezzler on February 23rd, 2016 at 8:34 am said:

Oh man! I’ve been so excited for this game to release on Vita forever! So happy to hear it’s not a half-baked port either. Good to hear an update on this game!

+ FearMonkey on February 23rd, 2016 at 8:39 am said:

Have this game on Steam. Soooooooooooooooooooooo goooooooooooooooooood. May have to double/triple-dip. :p

+ pablikenemy79 on February 23rd, 2016 at 8:43 am said:

Thanks For Supporting The Ps vita!

+ Steam07 on February 23rd, 2016 at 8:52 am said:

So excited for this game to finally hit PS4 and Vita. One question, is the local co-op splitscreen or shared screen? One of the biggest issues I ran into with the local co-op on PC were my friends falling off a ledge and having no idea how to get back up because the camera only followed one player.

Duncan Drummond's Avatar

+ Duncan Drummond on February 23rd, 2016 at 10:55 am said:

Glad to hear it! For the local co-op it will be shared screen, with the camera panning out to try to accommodate the vision of all the players like it does on the PC version. We felt this was the best way to do it by keeping all the action on one screen, because the resolution of the game is so low. Hope that makes sense!

+ Dragonchasers on February 23rd, 2016 at 8:58 am said:

I hope the game does well. Personally I’ve kind of had my fill of ‘brutally difficult’ games for a while so I’ll be giving it a pass, but happy to see so many other excited comments. I’m just a little bummed because I dig the aesthetics of the game. I’ll have to content myself with a “Let’s Play” or something.

+ paulogy on February 23rd, 2016 at 9:01 am said:

Looks and sounds great, especially that local co-op! Glad it’s finally coming to PS4 & Vita.

The timing of the announcement has me wonder if this might be a March PS+ game? If not, do you have a more concrete release date?

+ Alecj22 on February 23rd, 2016 at 9:06 am said:

THIS GAME IS AWESOME!

I got it on PC a while back and played the heck out of it. The only reason i dont still play it is because i prefer to enjoy games on my PS4.

This is literally a wish granted. I cannot wait to play this on console.

Thank You Sony and the great devs who made Risk of Rain!

+ Alecj22 on February 23rd, 2016 at 9:12 am said:

I cant find a release date? Anyone know when its coming out?

+ ShermieWhipped55 on February 23rd, 2016 at 9:47 am said:

Shame it took a PSN release for the online to move beyond peer to peer….even with my ports forwarded I could never get it to work.

+ Bellalara on February 23rd, 2016 at 9:50 am said:

Thanks for bringing this to the Vita

+ Symbiotx on February 23rd, 2016 at 10:26 am said:

I was wondering if this was still coming to PS4 and vita. Can’t wait!

+ Zepherj on February 23rd, 2016 at 10:40 am said:

Very excited to check this out. The local and online co-op sounds perfect, especially for my friends and I who move around a lot between Vita and PS4. Oh, and thanks for bringing the game to PS Vita!

+ Figboy on February 23rd, 2016 at 10:41 am said:

Very excited for this. I have it on Steam, but couldn’t get the hang of the mouse and keyboard controls. I’ve been eagerly awaiting the Vita version!

+ DunningKrugerMD on February 23rd, 2016 at 10:45 am said:

Nice! Thanks for bringing this to the Vita!

+ gus_xl on February 23rd, 2016 at 11:13 am said:

This is going to be great on the Vita.

+ TufoBR on February 23rd, 2016 at 11:34 am said:

Awesome!! very excited for this, can’t wait to play it!

+ Lord_Ripper02 on February 23rd, 2016 at 12:19 pm said:

Hey Duncan,

In light of recent PS Vita Delays and cancellations, can you confirm that it will for sure come out on the VITA and that it will come out on the VITA the same day (or within a few days)?

Duncan Drummond's Avatar

+ Duncan Drummond on February 23rd, 2016 at 3:01 pm said:

Yes, it will be launching on the Vita the same day as the PS4.

+ poodude on February 23rd, 2016 at 12:34 pm said:

Day one for sure. Hoping you guys will include a platinum trophy!

+ Kishnabe on February 23rd, 2016 at 4:54 pm said:

Remember playing this on PC, shocked to see it come to Console and Vita.

Will be picking because of the vita version.

+ NinjaMicWZ on February 23rd, 2016 at 7:42 pm said:

Awesome. Must buy. Way to go with crossplay and matchmaking.

+ rigo-the-best on February 23rd, 2016 at 9:58 pm said:

Nice! Been waiting for this for a long time. I thought this versions were cancelled. This is going to be a blast!

+ PBLegend0 on February 23rd, 2016 at 10:08 pm said:

I haven’t heard of this game, but now super excited to get my hands on it. Looks awesome!!!

+ cusman on February 24th, 2016 at 6:37 am said:

This could be good for co-op play, but I worry about the one-life thing. When playing co-op are we able to revive each other?

+ Su7vK1s7 on February 24th, 2016 at 8:52 am said:

In RoR, once you die on a level/wave you must spectate until the next wave starts or until all of your teammates die.

+ SinceByDarren on February 24th, 2016 at 6:45 am said:

I thought this was a different game when I read the headline, but this game looks great! I will get this, for sure.

+ Su7vK1s7 on February 24th, 2016 at 8:50 am said:

Duncan, im actually really happy for you guys but upset that you’ve been able to do all of this for sony. You guys seemed to have abandoned the Pc community. Currently, multiplayer is dead and it’s sad to say because i really enjoyed the 8man raids. Im just hoping that in the very near future pc will also get matchmaking… as we’ve been waiting for, for 2+ years. Hopefully all of this extra support will be able to make it happen. Maybe even pc + Sony cross platform!

+ timothy82286 on February 24th, 2016 at 5:52 pm said:

Is PlayStation Plus required

+ zatanna0zatara on February 25th, 2016 at 6:16 am said:

I really like all the combinations that can be done for multiplayer play, especially local co-op. Seems like that’s gone by the wayside these days, so it’s nice to see. :) Plus VITA love.

+ punchbandit on February 26th, 2016 at 1:35 pm said:

It’s fun on PC, but I’ve been dying to play this on Vita. So glad it’s actually happening.

+ GoCanes89 on February 27th, 2016 at 10:55 am said:

This is one of my favorite permadeath rogue-likes ever, but I always had trouble getting the peer to peer outside of my home network stable enough to really enjoy the co-op. I bought a 4-pack on Steam when it launched and enjoyed several hours of dying with my son and daughter in co-op. I actually still have an extra copy in my Steam inventory – may have to find someone willing to trade PSN credit for it. ^_^

+ GoCanes89 on February 27th, 2016 at 10:55 am said:

Oh, and I’d love to see this as a PS+ game when it comes out. *wink, wink*

+ crazygamer28 on February 27th, 2016 at 4:33 pm said:

Man I’m so excited for this game. Glad to here vita version isn’t dead, I was a kinda worried since there wasn’t much news since the announcement.