PlayStation Vue - One Punch Man

Feb 25

25025460731_99cfa55eaa_z

Neverending Nightmares Coming to PS4, PS Vita

Matt Gilgenbach's Avatar Posted by on Feb 25, 2016 // Creative Director, Infinitap Games

Hello PlayStation fans! I’m Matt Gilgenbach, creative director of Infinitap Games. As a huge PlayStation fan myself, I’m pleased to announce that my atmospheric horror game Neverending Nightmares will launch on PS4 and PS Vita in the 2nd quarter of this year. All the scares and thrills of the original version are there but with a host of new improvements.

Neverending Nightmares is a very personal game for me because it’s meant to metaphorically express the experience I’ve had dealing with mental illness — specifically obsessive compulsive disorder and depression. It was a real challenge to develop a game to express those dark feelings, but my team and I have created a unique interactive experience. I know I called it a “game” up above, but I think “interactive experience” is a more apt description.

Neverending Nightmares on PS4, PS Vita

Neverending Nightmares is designed to explore the darkest and most negative emotions — fear, horror, anxiety, hopelessness, pain, and frustration. It isn’t a typical game where you are faced with challenges and can win. We worked really hard to make players feel trapped and helpless when playing the game. After one reaches all three endings, none feel like a happy resolution. They barely feel like a resolution at all because there really aren’t clean endings in life.

In the game, you play as Thomas, a weak young man with asthma who wakes up from a terrible nightmare. As you continue to progress through the game, you discover that he is trapped in a series of nightmares — each more hellish than the last. Your goal is to hide and flee from the terrifying apparitions that Thomas is defenseless against in order to finally “wake up” in the real world.

The game features a unique branching narrative where — depending on the paths you take — you end up in different nightmares with completely different and contradictory endings. There isn’t a clear overarching story, and that was an intentional design choice. We were greatly influenced by David Lynch, and wanted the nightmares to feel more real than the “reality” in the endings.

Neverending Nightmares on PS4, PS Vita

As you can see from the screenshots, Neverending Nightmares has a very unique pen sketch look reminiscent of legendary artist Eduard Gorey. The game has a dynamic lighting and shadow system that fills in the darker areas with different amounts of pen sketch lines. We animate the pen sketch lines to create a tense atmosphere where it feels like the darkness surrounding you is always closing in.

The audio in Neverending Nightmares is one of its strongest features. IGF-nominated composer Skyler McGlothlin delivers a haunting and oppressive dark ambient score. The warped piano notes and rumbling bass provide an ominous backdrop to the nightmarish soundscape, including the pained rasping of Thomas’ labored breathing and the guttural growls of lurking monstrosities.

We’ve taken our time with the PlayStation versions of the game to make sure that you are getting the best possible experience. Firstly, we’ve improved plenty of rough edges on the game. The biggest change is an improvement to the way the branching narrative works. We want gamers to experience all the content in the game, so we’ve made it easier to get to the branching points and have designed them to be a bit more obvious. This makes a huge difference in the experience, so we are happy that PlayStation gamers’ first exposure to the game will be this improved version.

Secondly, we’ve made sure that the visuals are the best possible on their respective platforms. On PS4 Neverending Nightmares runs at a targeted 1080p, 60 frames per second with antialiasing, but we also improved the engine to ensure pixel accuracy for our textures. Since Neverending Nightmares uses a lot of intricately detailed drawings, this has a great increase in graphical fidelity.

Neverending Nightmares on PS4, PS Vita

The PS Vita version also runs at a targeted 60 frames per second with all of the effects turned on, so no matter what your PlayStation platform of choice is, you will get a great experience. Since we support cross buy and cross save, you won’t have to choose!

Thank you so much for your time reading this blog post, and if you like bleak and tense atmospheric horror, give Neverending Nightmares a try when we launch on PS4 and PS Vita!

+ poodude on February 25th, 2016 at 8:06 am said:

Oh man, awesome! I picked up the PC version of Neverending Nightmares back when it first came out, but unfortunately I never got around to playing it. Definitely going to rectify that with the PS4/Vita version.

Also, shout out for Retro/Grade! I loved that game. Hopefully you’re able to give it a second chance on PS4/Vita one day!

+ Matt Gilgenbach on February 25th, 2016 at 8:34 am said:

Awesome! Thank you for your support on both Neverending Nightmares and Retro/Grade. Right now, Retro/Grade is available on PS4/Vita through PSNow, which is pretty exciting. It was really easy for us to bring the technically complex game to other Sony platforms. :)

+ Reverie_Reality on February 25th, 2016 at 8:07 am said:

I’m getting a very Knock-knock feel from this game, especially with that first screenshot. Looks very similar.

+ Matt Gilgenbach on February 25th, 2016 at 8:37 am said:

Embarrassingly, I’ve actually never played Knock-Knock. Visually, I think they were both influenced by Edward Gorey (along with Don’t Starve). I’ve heard they actually aren’t that similar from a gameplay perspective.

+ Supermoon11 on February 25th, 2016 at 8:08 am said:

Awesome! the more games on the Vita the better! Thanks.

P.S I LOVE YOU XOXO

+ Matt Gilgenbach on February 25th, 2016 at 8:37 am said:

I love you, and we as a company love the Vita and are happy to support it! :)

+ T3DV0L70L1N4 on February 25th, 2016 at 8:10 am said:

David Lynch + Eduard Gorey = Awesome!

Looks great, can’t wait for this! Do you have a release window yet? This looks like a day-one purchase for me!

+ Matt Gilgenbach on February 25th, 2016 at 8:38 am said:

We are planning on releasing in the 2nd quarter of this year (April to June) but haven’t narrowed it down to a date yet. Thank you so much for your support!

+ T3DV0L70L1N4 on February 25th, 2016 at 9:21 am said:

And yes, thank you for supporting the Vita!

+ Vyprstryke on February 25th, 2016 at 8:15 am said:

Awesome!! I remember seeing this on Kickstarter and being bummed it wasn’t coming to consoles. I liked Retro/Grade as well and echo the hopes of it getting a second wind on PS4 =)

+ Matt Gilgenbach on February 25th, 2016 at 8:39 am said:

Thank you for your kind comment! It is great to see that Retro/Grade had its supporters. :)

+ GeminiBoy on February 25th, 2016 at 8:19 am said:

I will support this one…thanks for the vita support!

+ Matt Gilgenbach on February 25th, 2016 at 8:39 am said:

My pleasure. The Vita is awesome!

+ Jagged13 on February 25th, 2016 at 8:26 am said:

Hey sweet! I knew Neverending Nightmares would end up getting a PS4 released one of these days… but I’ve forgotten about the game long after it came out in… what, 2013? 2014? I don’t know. Like i said, it’s been awhile since I’ve heard of the game. So it would be great to finally play this on consoles.

+ Matt Gilgenbach on February 25th, 2016 at 8:40 am said:

We came out in late 2014, so it has been a longer road to the consoles than I had originally planned but we are very happy to release on PlayStation platforms! :)

+ JamonSerranoSky on February 25th, 2016 at 9:04 am said:

Awesome! I’ll buy it for my VITA as soon as it comes out.

+ Matt Gilgenbach on February 25th, 2016 at 9:35 am said:

Thank you so much! We worked extra hard on the Vita version to make sure it is as awesome as possible. :)

+ TomHoang on February 25th, 2016 at 9:18 am said:

I will gladly support more interactive titles like this. +1 for the Vita love!

+ Matt Gilgenbach on February 25th, 2016 at 9:36 am said:

We appreciate your support!

+ MrBeens on February 25th, 2016 at 9:25 am said:

“Neverending Nightmares is designed to explore the darkest and most negative emotions — fear, horror, anxiety, hopelessness, pain, and frustration. It isn’t a typical game where you are faced with challenges and can win. We worked really hard to make players feel trapped and helpless when playing the game. After one reaches all three endings, none feel like a happy resolution. They barely feel like a resolution at all ”

Well that’s a hell of a sales pitch…

+ Matt Gilgenbach on February 25th, 2016 at 9:38 am said:

Neverending Nightmares is a bit of a hard sell because it is deliberately unpleasant, which usually isn’t something you brag about. It is definitely not for everyone, but the people that get it, really love it! As you point out, it is a challenge to market the game because we want people to play it, but we also want them to know that it isn’t a typical horror game – and might not be considered a game at all by some players.

+ MisterJumpMan on February 25th, 2016 at 10:08 am said:

Awesome! I look forward to playing this on console :) Hopefully this will help Devastating Dreams happen sometime in the future!

+ Matt Gilgenbach on February 25th, 2016 at 7:31 pm said:

Thank you for your support! Devastated Dreams is on hiatus at the moment, but if Neverending Nightmares finds a new audience on PlayStation platforms, I would be happy to revive it. :)

+ pablikenemy79 on February 25th, 2016 at 10:20 am said:

This game looks awesome, Thanks for supporting Vita!!!

+ Matt Gilgenbach on February 25th, 2016 at 7:32 pm said:

My pleasure! Vita is awesome!

+ pillowpxnts on February 25th, 2016 at 10:40 am said:

The old lady and myself cannot wait to play this game. Sounds like it has high replay value! Will it be cross-buy?

+ Matt Gilgenbach on February 25th, 2016 at 7:30 pm said:

We will definitely support Cross-Buy and Cross-Save. :)

+ Hakumen__ on February 25th, 2016 at 10:52 am said:

I have come to like this kind of games. Glad they keep coming to PS Vita!

+ rudetoy on February 25th, 2016 at 10:58 am said:

This reminds me of a PC game called “The Cat Lady” that came out a few years ago. Glad this will be on the Vita too….looks interesting.

+ jgrizzle358 on February 25th, 2016 at 11:07 am said:

I’m loving this recent bombardment of indie horror games on PS4.

SOMA
Knock Knock
HOME
Among the Sleep
Layers of Fear
Kholat

and now this :)

As an aspiring Let’s Player and lover of indie games, I love playing these types of games on YouTube. It helps me achieve my goal and it helps developers advertise their games. I even put links to the developer’s websites in my credits because I want people to show them love.

Also, I suffer from Anxiety, OCD and social phobia. I can sympathize. Even if this wasn’t a horror game I intended on Let’s Playing, the fact that you added a part of yourself to this by metaphorically representing your struggles would have sold me on it alone. I love when developers put sentimental value in their games.

+ Matt Gilgenbach on February 25th, 2016 at 7:33 pm said:

I think you will really like the game. It is interesting because I think a lot of the details are only appreciated by people who have gone through similar things. I Hope you like the game! :)

+ kmtburton on February 25th, 2016 at 12:00 pm said:

Just got this on PC, its really good so far. Worth getting if you’ve not played it.

+ magooser on February 25th, 2016 at 12:05 pm said:

Any game that lets me play as Bobby Hill is ok in my book.

+ Matt Gilgenbach on February 25th, 2016 at 7:33 pm said:

Ha! It wasn’t deliberate but I see the resemblance. :)

+ ZalitoEurope on February 25th, 2016 at 2:32 pm said:

H.p. Lovecraft told me to support this game, so I will.

Its REALLY appreciated the vita release

My best regards

+ Matt Gilgenbach on February 25th, 2016 at 7:34 pm said:

I wish I could talk to H.P. Lovecraft! :-P Vita is a great console with a really dedicated community, so we are happy to bring the game to the platform.

+ Daburcor on February 25th, 2016 at 3:17 pm said:

Really looking forward to this! I didn’t have a good enough PC for it until very recently, but now I’m just going to wait for this one. This game does make me wish Edward Gorey were still alive so I could shake his hand and talk with him about cats.

+ Matt Gilgenbach on February 25th, 2016 at 7:35 pm said:

I too wish he was alive. Some have asked if I think he would have liked the game, and I suspect he would have because he was a big fan of pop culture. Unfortunately, we’ll never know. :(

+ anglsanddmns502 on February 25th, 2016 at 4:12 pm said:

Was a backer for the PC version, and loved playing when it first came out. The game is absolutely fantastic, a must recommend, so seeing it come to consoles and a handheld is excellent news. Greatly looking forward to playing the game again with these mentioned new improvements!

+ Matt Gilgenbach on February 26th, 2016 at 8:14 am said:

Thank you for your kind words! :)

+ Lord_Orpheo on February 25th, 2016 at 4:37 pm said:

Nice.

I originally picked this up for the Ouya and will be repurchasing it for my Vita. :)

+ Matt Gilgenbach on February 26th, 2016 at 8:14 am said:

Thank you for supporting the game twice! :)

+ SidNightwalker on February 25th, 2016 at 5:46 pm said:

I’ve been wanting to play this for some time, and it seems like another one of those games that’s perfect for the Vita, so that is a welcome addition. As is any indie game that is truly artistic. There are very few of them.

+ zatanna0zatara on February 25th, 2016 at 7:33 pm said:

The art style is very cool. I think we see the water-color effect a ton, but the pen sketch style is a little different and intriguing.

+ Matt Gilgenbach on February 25th, 2016 at 7:36 pm said:

Thanks! We put a lot of effort into the visual development in order to create a really unique looking game!

+ Baroque-Legacy on February 25th, 2016 at 8:15 pm said:

Excellent! I’ve really been hoping to see this on the PS4, or at least some Sony platform! Loved the demo on the Ouya! Day one purchase for me, and thanks for sharing a very personal part of yourself through this game!

+ Matt Gilgenbach on February 26th, 2016 at 8:13 am said:

My pleasure and thank you for your support! The PS4 version has much better graphics than the OUYA demo. :)

+ zirocrath on February 26th, 2016 at 4:20 am said:

“We want gamers to experience all the content in the game, so we’ve made it easier to get to the branching points and have designed them to be a bit more obvious.” Do not underestimate console gamers like this…

+ Matt Gilgenbach on February 26th, 2016 at 8:12 am said:

I am sure console gamers could have figured it out the old way, but the new way is more fun and will require less frustrating trial and error, so I think it is a positive change for the game. Thanks for pointing that out. I could have phrased that better.

+ zirocrath on February 26th, 2016 at 4:41 am said:

Still.. can’t say I’m really happy to see a game like this on Vita, thanks for supporting a great console

+ HussamFelimban on February 26th, 2016 at 6:40 am said:

Game looks great! Will the Vita version be compatible with the PSTV?

+ Matt Gilgenbach on February 26th, 2016 at 8:10 am said:

Yes it will!

+ HussamFelimban on February 26th, 2016 at 6:41 am said:

Good for you. But we’re happy with our incomes, so stay the hell away from the Blog.

+ InDebt3Fiddy on February 26th, 2016 at 9:42 am said:

I experience these negative emotions playing bloodborne

+ creepysuitguy on February 26th, 2016 at 9:58 am said:

Thank you for supporting the Vita!!!

+ OuroborosChoked on February 26th, 2016 at 12:22 pm said:

I love Edward Gorey’s art and horror is a seriously underappreciated genre… but good-looking, narrative- or thematically-driven indie games have a track record of being short and disappointing with zero replay value. Can we get any assurances that this *isn’t* the case with your title?

Thanks in advance!

+ Ralstonizer on February 26th, 2016 at 1:08 pm said:

Great game. I’ll have to buy it again in hopes that it will help Devastated Dreams happen someday.

+ xXGhost617Xx on February 26th, 2016 at 6:57 pm said:

It’s very hard finding a game (especially an indie game) worth the money for the vita but this is very well worth it. Just wish the PS store wasn’t overloaded with terrible indie games so the good indie devs can shine.

+ badpuppy2982 on February 26th, 2016 at 7:43 pm said:

Fantastic news! I was a backer/beta tester (I purchased the Ouya version). I ended up purchasing the soundtrack, also. The game is amazing, the soundtrack is amazing, and I’m so stoked that this is finally coming to PS4! Excellent!!!!

+ Chiabone on February 26th, 2016 at 10:11 pm said:

I have battled severe clinical depression for most of the past tweny-five years, it really tends to feel like a nightmare from which I can never awaken. It is nice to see someone else who struggled (struggles?) like I have, come up with such a creative way to express these feelings of hopelessness and despair. I have yet to play the game on PC, but certainly will give it a shot on PS4 as soon as it is released.

+ Kingofkings816 on February 27th, 2016 at 1:57 am said:

When exactly is the exact release date? I need another cool game to show my friends

+ Mercenary09 on February 27th, 2016 at 1:53 pm said:

Really happy to see this coming to PlayStation. I’ll be picking it up for sure. Can you guys tell us if it will have a Platinum trophy or not?

+ HeWhoIsmie on February 28th, 2016 at 10:10 am said:

I had the opportunity of meeting the creator at PAX Prime 2014 in the Indy Booth, and I was mesmerized with the game.. Playing with headphones is a must… After the quick demo I came out shaking, and asking when it would reach consoles cause this definitely is the type of gme meant to be played on them… SOOOO Glad to see it coming now, I have put off buying the android/PC versions until now.. One quetion; Since it’s now finished will it still come out in episodic format, or will we get it in a complete collection? As I remember it originally came in 18 or so episodes.