Final Fantasy XV

Feb 25

Feb 25

Neverending Nightmares Coming to PS4, PS Vita

Matt Gilgenbach's Avatar Posted by Creative Director, Infinitap Games

Hello PlayStation fans! I’m Matt Gilgenbach, creative director of Infinitap Games. As a huge PlayStation fan myself, I’m pleased to announce that my atmospheric horror game Neverending Nightmares will launch on PS4 and PS Vita in the 2nd quarter of this year. All the scares and thrills of the original version are there but with a host of new improvements.

Neverending Nightmares is a very personal game for me because it’s meant to metaphorically express the experience I’ve had dealing with mental illness — specifically obsessive compulsive disorder and depression. It was a real challenge to develop a game to express those dark feelings, but my team and I have created a unique interactive experience. I know I called it a “game” up above, but I think “interactive experience” is a more apt description.

Neverending Nightmares on PS4, PS Vita

Neverending Nightmares is designed to explore the darkest and most negative emotions — fear, horror, anxiety, hopelessness, pain, and frustration. It isn’t a typical game where you are faced with challenges and can win. We worked really hard to make players feel trapped and helpless when playing the game. After one reaches all three endings, none feel like a happy resolution. They barely feel like a resolution at all because there really aren’t clean endings in life.

In the game, you play as Thomas, a weak young man with asthma who wakes up from a terrible nightmare. As you continue to progress through the game, you discover that he is trapped in a series of nightmares — each more hellish than the last. Your goal is to hide and flee from the terrifying apparitions that Thomas is defenseless against in order to finally “wake up” in the real world.

The game features a unique branching narrative where — depending on the paths you take — you end up in different nightmares with completely different and contradictory endings. There isn’t a clear overarching story, and that was an intentional design choice. We were greatly influenced by David Lynch, and wanted the nightmares to feel more real than the “reality” in the endings.

Neverending Nightmares on PS4, PS Vita

As you can see from the screenshots, Neverending Nightmares has a very unique pen sketch look reminiscent of legendary artist Eduard Gorey. The game has a dynamic lighting and shadow system that fills in the darker areas with different amounts of pen sketch lines. We animate the pen sketch lines to create a tense atmosphere where it feels like the darkness surrounding you is always closing in.

The audio in Neverending Nightmares is one of its strongest features. IGF-nominated composer Skyler McGlothlin delivers a haunting and oppressive dark ambient score. The warped piano notes and rumbling bass provide an ominous backdrop to the nightmarish soundscape, including the pained rasping of Thomas’ labored breathing and the guttural growls of lurking monstrosities.

We’ve taken our time with the PlayStation versions of the game to make sure that you are getting the best possible experience. Firstly, we’ve improved plenty of rough edges on the game. The biggest change is an improvement to the way the branching narrative works. We want gamers to experience all the content in the game, so we’ve made it easier to get to the branching points and have designed them to be a bit more obvious. This makes a huge difference in the experience, so we are happy that PlayStation gamers’ first exposure to the game will be this improved version.

Secondly, we’ve made sure that the visuals are the best possible on their respective platforms. On PS4 Neverending Nightmares runs at a targeted 1080p, 60 frames per second with antialiasing, but we also improved the engine to ensure pixel accuracy for our textures. Since Neverending Nightmares uses a lot of intricately detailed drawings, this has a great increase in graphical fidelity.

Neverending Nightmares on PS4, PS Vita

The PS Vita version also runs at a targeted 60 frames per second with all of the effects turned on, so no matter what your PlayStation platform of choice is, you will get a great experience. Since we support cross buy and cross save, you won’t have to choose!

Thank you so much for your time reading this blog post, and if you like bleak and tense atmospheric horror, give Neverending Nightmares a try when we launch on PS4 and PS Vita!

Add Your Own

poodude said:

February 25th, 8:06 am

Oh man, awesome! I picked up the PC version of Neverending Nightmares back when it first came out, but unfortunately I never got around to playing it. Definitely going to rectify that with the PS4/Vita version.

Also, shout out for Retro/Grade! I loved that game. Hopefully you’re able to give it a second chance on PS4/Vita one day!

February 25th, 8:34 am

Awesome! Thank you for your support on both Neverending Nightmares and Retro/Grade. Right now, Retro/Grade is available on PS4/Vita through PSNow, which is pretty exciting. It was really easy for us to bring the technically complex game to other Sony platforms. :)

Reverie_Reality said:

February 25th, 8:07 am

I’m getting a very Knock-knock feel from this game, especially with that first screenshot. Looks very similar.

February 25th, 8:37 am

Embarrassingly, I’ve actually never played Knock-Knock. Visually, I think they were both influenced by Edward Gorey (along with Don’t Starve). I’ve heard they actually aren’t that similar from a gameplay perspective.

Supermoon11 said:

February 25th, 8:08 am

Awesome! the more games on the Vita the better! Thanks.

P.S I LOVE YOU XOXO

February 25th, 8:37 am

I love you, and we as a company love the Vita and are happy to support it! :)

T3DV0L70L1N4 said:

February 25th, 8:10 am

David Lynch + Eduard Gorey = Awesome!

Looks great, can’t wait for this! Do you have a release window yet? This looks like a day-one purchase for me!

February 25th, 8:38 am

We are planning on releasing in the 2nd quarter of this year (April to June) but haven’t narrowed it down to a date yet. Thank you so much for your support!

T3DV0L70L1N4 said:

February 25th, 9:21 am

And yes, thank you for supporting the Vita!

Vyprstryke said:

February 25th, 8:15 am

Awesome!! I remember seeing this on Kickstarter and being bummed it wasn’t coming to consoles. I liked Retro/Grade as well and echo the hopes of it getting a second wind on PS4 =)

February 25th, 8:39 am

Thank you for your kind comment! It is great to see that Retro/Grade had its supporters. :)

GeminiBoy said:

February 25th, 8:19 am

I will support this one…thanks for the vita support!

February 25th, 8:39 am

My pleasure. The Vita is awesome!

Jagged13 said:

February 25th, 8:26 am

Hey sweet! I knew Neverending Nightmares would end up getting a PS4 released one of these days… but I’ve forgotten about the game long after it came out in… what, 2013? 2014? I don’t know. Like i said, it’s been awhile since I’ve heard of the game. So it would be great to finally play this on consoles.

February 25th, 8:40 am

We came out in late 2014, so it has been a longer road to the consoles than I had originally planned but we are very happy to release on PlayStation platforms! :)

JamonSerranoSky said:

February 25th, 9:04 am

Awesome! I’ll buy it for my VITA as soon as it comes out.

February 25th, 9:35 am

Thank you so much! We worked extra hard on the Vita version to make sure it is as awesome as possible. :)

TomHoang said:

February 25th, 9:18 am

I will gladly support more interactive titles like this. +1 for the Vita love!

MrBeens said:

February 25th, 9:25 am

“Neverending Nightmares is designed to explore the darkest and most negative emotions — fear, horror, anxiety, hopelessness, pain, and frustration. It isn’t a typical game where you are faced with challenges and can win. We worked really hard to make players feel trapped and helpless when playing the game. After one reaches all three endings, none feel like a happy resolution. They barely feel like a resolution at all ”

Well that’s a hell of a sales pitch…

February 25th, 9:38 am

Neverending Nightmares is a bit of a hard sell because it is deliberately unpleasant, which usually isn’t something you brag about. It is definitely not for everyone, but the people that get it, really love it! As you point out, it is a challenge to market the game because we want people to play it, but we also want them to know that it isn’t a typical horror game – and might not be considered a game at all by some players.

MisterJumpMan said:

February 25th, 10:08 am

Awesome! I look forward to playing this on console :) Hopefully this will help Devastating Dreams happen sometime in the future!

February 25th, 7:31 pm

Thank you for your support! Devastated Dreams is on hiatus at the moment, but if Neverending Nightmares finds a new audience on PlayStation platforms, I would be happy to revive it. :)

pablikenemy79 said:

February 25th, 10:20 am

This game looks awesome, Thanks for supporting Vita!!!

February 25th, 7:32 pm

My pleasure! Vita is awesome!

pillowpxnts said:

February 25th, 10:40 am

The old lady and myself cannot wait to play this game. Sounds like it has high replay value! Will it be cross-buy?

February 25th, 7:30 pm

We will definitely support Cross-Buy and Cross-Save. :)

Hakumen__ said:

February 25th, 10:52 am

I have come to like this kind of games. Glad they keep coming to PS Vita!

rudetoy said:

February 25th, 10:58 am

This reminds me of a PC game called “The Cat Lady” that came out a few years ago. Glad this will be on the Vita too….looks interesting.

jgrizzle358 said:

February 25th, 11:07 am

I’m loving this recent bombardment of indie horror games on PS4.

SOMA
Knock Knock
HOME
Among the Sleep
Layers of Fear
Kholat

and now this :)

As an aspiring Let’s Player and lover of indie games, I love playing these types of games on YouTube. It helps me achieve my goal and it helps developers advertise their games. I even put links to the developer’s websites in my credits because I want people to show them love.

Also, I suffer from Anxiety, OCD and social phobia. I can sympathize. Even if this wasn’t a horror game I intended on Let’s Playing, the fact that you added a part of yourself to this by metaphorically representing your struggles would have sold me on it alone. I love when developers put sentimental value in their games.

February 25th, 7:33 pm

I think you will really like the game. It is interesting because I think a lot of the details are only appreciated by people who have gone through similar things. I Hope you like the game! :)

kmtburton said:

February 25th, 12:00 pm

Just got this on PC, its really good so far. Worth getting if you’ve not played it.

magooser said:

February 25th, 12:05 pm

Any game that lets me play as Bobby Hill is ok in my book.

February 25th, 7:33 pm

Ha! It wasn’t deliberate but I see the resemblance. :)

ZalitoEurope said:

February 25th, 2:32 pm

H.p. Lovecraft told me to support this game, so I will.

Its REALLY appreciated the vita release

My best regards

February 25th, 7:34 pm

I wish I could talk to H.P. Lovecraft! :-P Vita is a great console with a really dedicated community, so we are happy to bring the game to the platform.

Daburcor said:

February 25th, 3:17 pm

Really looking forward to this! I didn’t have a good enough PC for it until very recently, but now I’m just going to wait for this one. This game does make me wish Edward Gorey were still alive so I could shake his hand and talk with him about cats.

February 25th, 7:35 pm

I too wish he was alive. Some have asked if I think he would have liked the game, and I suspect he would have because he was a big fan of pop culture. Unfortunately, we’ll never know. :(

anglsanddmns502 said:

February 25th, 4:12 pm

Was a backer for the PC version, and loved playing when it first came out. The game is absolutely fantastic, a must recommend, so seeing it come to consoles and a handheld is excellent news. Greatly looking forward to playing the game again with these mentioned new improvements!

February 26th, 8:14 am

Thank you for your kind words! :)

Lord_Orpheo said:

February 25th, 4:37 pm

Nice.

I originally picked this up for the Ouya and will be repurchasing it for my Vita. :)

February 26th, 8:14 am

Thank you for supporting the game twice! :)

SidNightwalker said:

February 25th, 5:46 pm

I’ve been wanting to play this for some time, and it seems like another one of those games that’s perfect for the Vita, so that is a welcome addition. As is any indie game that is truly artistic. There are very few of them.

zatanna0zatara said:

February 25th, 7:33 pm

The art style is very cool. I think we see the water-color effect a ton, but the pen sketch style is a little different and intriguing.

February 25th, 7:36 pm

Thanks! We put a lot of effort into the visual development in order to create a really unique looking game!

Baroque-Legacy said:

February 25th, 8:15 pm

Excellent! I’ve really been hoping to see this on the PS4, or at least some Sony platform! Loved the demo on the Ouya! Day one purchase for me, and thanks for sharing a very personal part of yourself through this game!

February 26th, 8:13 am

My pleasure and thank you for your support! The PS4 version has much better graphics than the OUYA demo. :)

zirocrath said:

February 26th, 4:20 am

“We want gamers to experience all the content in the game, so we’ve made it easier to get to the branching points and have designed them to be a bit more obvious.” Do not underestimate console gamers like this…

February 26th, 8:12 am

I am sure console gamers could have figured it out the old way, but the new way is more fun and will require less frustrating trial and error, so I think it is a positive change for the game. Thanks for pointing that out. I could have phrased that better.

zirocrath said:

February 26th, 4:41 am

Still.. can’t say I’m really happy to see a game like this on Vita, thanks for supporting a great console

HussamFelimban said:

February 26th, 6:40 am

Game looks great! Will the Vita version be compatible with the PSTV?

HussamFelimban said:

February 26th, 6:41 am

Good for you. But we’re happy with our incomes, so stay the hell away from the Blog.

InDebt3Fiddy said:

February 26th, 9:42 am

I experience these negative emotions playing bloodborne

creepysuitguy said:

February 26th, 9:58 am

Thank you for supporting the Vita!!!

OuroborosChoked said:

February 26th, 12:22 pm

I love Edward Gorey’s art and horror is a seriously underappreciated genre… but good-looking, narrative- or thematically-driven indie games have a track record of being short and disappointing with zero replay value. Can we get any assurances that this *isn’t* the case with your title?

Thanks in advance!

Ralstonizer said:

February 26th, 1:08 pm

Great game. I’ll have to buy it again in hopes that it will help Devastated Dreams happen someday.

xXGhost617Xx said:

February 26th, 6:57 pm

It’s very hard finding a game (especially an indie game) worth the money for the vita but this is very well worth it. Just wish the PS store wasn’t overloaded with terrible indie games so the good indie devs can shine.

badpuppy2982 said:

February 26th, 7:43 pm

Fantastic news! I was a backer/beta tester (I purchased the Ouya version). I ended up purchasing the soundtrack, also. The game is amazing, the soundtrack is amazing, and I’m so stoked that this is finally coming to PS4! Excellent!!!!

Chiabone said:

February 26th, 10:11 pm

I have battled severe clinical depression for most of the past tweny-five years, it really tends to feel like a nightmare from which I can never awaken. It is nice to see someone else who struggled (struggles?) like I have, come up with such a creative way to express these feelings of hopelessness and despair. I have yet to play the game on PC, but certainly will give it a shot on PS4 as soon as it is released.

Kingofkings816 said:

February 27th, 1:57 am

When exactly is the exact release date? I need another cool game to show my friends

Mercenary09 said:

February 27th, 1:53 pm

Really happy to see this coming to PlayStation. I’ll be picking it up for sure. Can you guys tell us if it will have a Platinum trophy or not?

HeWhoIsmie said:

February 28th, 10:10 am

I had the opportunity of meeting the creator at PAX Prime 2014 in the Indy Booth, and I was mesmerized with the game.. Playing with headphones is a must… After the quick demo I came out shaking, and asking when it would reach consoles cause this definitely is the type of gme meant to be played on them… SOOOO Glad to see it coming now, I have put off buying the android/PC versions until now.. One quetion; Since it’s now finished will it still come out in episodic format, or will we get it in a complete collection? As I remember it originally came in 18 or so episodes.