Deus Ex Mankind Divided

Feb 26

25219637695_9696406cd5_b

Double Dragon II: The Revenge Launches Today on PS4

Satoshi Hamada's Avatar Posted by on Feb 26, 2016 // President and CEO, Hamster Corporation

Double Dragon II: The Revenge is an action game that was released by Technos Japan in 1989. In order to avenge your girlfriend Marian, Billy and Jimmy use their signature move So-Setsu-Ken to challenge mysterious armed forces. In the game, players can use even more skills than the previous entry in the franchise which leads to more intense battles.

The Arcade Archives series has faithfully reproduced the masterpieces of classic arcade games on PS4, while taking advantage of the additional features PS4 offers. Players can share screenshots and video with the Share feature, and can also compete with other players online to improve their standing on the leaderboards.

Arcade Archives Double Dragon II The Revenge on PS4

To celebrate the launch of Arcade Archives Double Dragon II: The Revenge, we spoke with the original Director Yoshihisa Kishimoto. Enjoy!

Q: Congratulations on the distribution of Double Dragon II worldwide. 27 years have passed since its first release but even now, fans all over the world can play it on PS4. How do you feel about that?

A: Thank you. I appreciate all the Double Dragon fans in the world! We completed the game because the staff worked tirelessly, so thank you to the staff as well.

Q: Did you face any hardships while developing Double Dragon II?

A: Originally we had made plans to change the ROM using the arcade board of the original Double Dragon. So it’s more like “Part 1.5” rather than “Part 2.” Because it was produced in such a short time with so few people (about three developers for three months), we could not change the basic structure and didn’t have time to do all that we wanted. Even still, we made big efforts and added new characters in that limited time.

Arcade Archives Double Dragon II The Revenge on PS4Arcade Archives Double Dragon II The Revenge on PS4

Q: You’re the forefather of many masterpieces in gaming, including the Renegade series. Amongst all your work, do you have strong feelings towards Double Dragon?

A: Double Dragon is my masterpiece and a precious work that helped spread fighting games and brawlers across the world. If you can be successful in the United States, you can be successful anywhere. Just like the world of film, it’s the same in video games. My first aim was to make a hit in the United States — so this was a dream come true.

Then, Double Dragon was filmed in Hollywood several years later. So my second aim, to turn my game into a film, was also accomplished.

Just as Bruce Lee — whom I respect — spread fighting to the world in Enter the Dragon, I think Double Dragon achieved something similar in the game industry. So I thank President Taki of Technos Japan Corporation and all the original staff.

Q: How did you come up with the unique idea for Double Dragon?

A: I originally had the idea of using items while I was developing Nekketsu Koha Kunio-Kun [the original Japanese version of Renegade]. When you defeat an enemy in Renegade’s first stage, he drops a stick. So I thought I could make a new fighting system by allowing players to pick this stick up. That’s how I came up with the idea to adapt this item system into a side-scrolling brawler.

Arcade Archives Double Dragon II The Revenge on PS4

Q: Renegade was set in Japan, but that changed for Double Dragon. What inspired this shift?

A: Things like Fist of the North Star, and also Bruce Lee and Mad Max — so I had great variety of influences. I appreciated their sense of violence and action, so I also made a car action game called Road Blaster when I was at Data East.

Q: From the success of Double Dragon, a new genre emerged in gaming — the side-scrolling brawler. Not only did you make a hit game, but you made a new genre!

A: Double Dragon did help create a genre, and I was confident it would be a big hit. I thought I could lead the world for years while producing that game.

Q: I suspect that the work out of Technos Japan at that time spawned many new ideas. Do you agree?

A: I was in charge of planning, and I always settled on themes of something new, novel, and stimulating. I aimed to be the first in the world. One of a kind. So that was our theme; we strove to make the world’s first game systems, settings, and so on.

Technos Japan Corporation had already produced many world firsts when I entered the company. The world’s first wrestling game The Big Pro Wrestling. The world’s first competitive fighter Karate Champ. The world’s first dodgeball and volleyball game.

In-game purchases are popular nowadays, but Double Dragon III was the world’s first game to use that system — 25 years ago. Our company had a strong, challenging spirit.

Q: What was the Double Dragon II development team like back then? What kind of people were they?

A: The members of the staff were new, but they were all cool so I felt good about our work. They were all otaku. The person who wrote the animation we used used to be a top-ranking animation director at his animation company. He also designed the enemy character Brunoff.

Q: Double Dragon has been a huge hit all over the world. Did you expect that degree of success?

A: I was confident we would make a big hit while I was drafting the business proposal. I have been working in games for more than 30 years. I’ve directed more than 50 titles, and produced more than 300. But Renegade and Double Dragon are the only two games I felt would be hits during their development.

The 10 years I spent at Technos Japan Corporation are the most precious years of my life.

Q: Finally, please leave us with a message to all the Double Dragon fans of the world.

A: We are planning to develop new Double Dragon games, so please look forward to them!

This article has been edited for clarity.

47 Comments

+ madmanwithabox12 on February 26th, 2016 at 7:16 am said:

Why do you never bring any of the Arcade Archives titles to Vita?

+ Superstone on February 26th, 2016 at 7:29 am said:

I agree. Would totally buy them for Vita.

+ Superstone on February 26th, 2016 at 7:30 am said:

Would buy more is they were cross buy

+ Macross1980 on February 26th, 2016 at 7:17 am said:

Still prefer the NES port to come out in PSN

+ VIDEOgameDROME on February 27th, 2016 at 2:25 pm said:

Yeah the NES version was the best!

+ BeckBR on February 29th, 2016 at 7:18 am said:

I’m happy that a port was made, but yes, the NES version is even better than that.

+ LionAlliance on February 26th, 2016 at 7:19 am said:

Does this version have the kick ass final boss music?

+ SaviorMachine on February 26th, 2016 at 7:22 am said:

Holy cow, I’m certain I’d never read any interviews with the series’ director. This is extremely awesome, Double Dragon was a huge part of my gaming childhood.

QUESTION: Why is it that their names are Billy and Jimmy Lee, but on the classic arcade cabinet, they are called Spike and Hammer?

Just kidding, who cares. Thanks for the great work you did, Mr Kishimoto, and I’ll keep my eye open for any future Double Dragon games because of course

+ MrBeens on February 26th, 2016 at 9:53 am said:

You are incorrect, their names are Bimmy and Jimmy.

+ NotCarolKaye on February 27th, 2016 at 3:37 am said:

Yeah, this was great to read. I loved these games when I was in middle school and I still do. It’s really cool that he’s making more.

+ you_are_neat on February 27th, 2016 at 6:11 am said:

I thought Spike and Hammer were just the tattoos they had. I remember thinking the same thing when the game came out, but later learned their names. I guess they could have been nicknames.

+ Alucard-XII on February 26th, 2016 at 7:24 am said:

Great news, I love the DD series. What are the chances of having Super DD IV port with fixed frame rate and full content from the Japanese version?

Also, please update the Arcade Archive titles with better emulation, especially having better video options and improved frame rate, fixed bugs …. etc. DD1 would be great without the slowdowns.

+ Superstone on February 26th, 2016 at 7:29 am said:

What time? I can’t wait. Love the Arcade Archive games, they remind me of my youth. Please bring the Arcade Archive games to Vita.

+ reson8er on February 26th, 2016 at 7:32 am said:

Love the Original and Part 2. Will be picking this up.

+ TmF1979 on February 26th, 2016 at 8:01 am said:

Let me know when these ports start going for $4.99 instead of $7.99 and I’ll open my wallet.

+ gameman15 on February 26th, 2016 at 8:13 am said:

I have a list of games I would like to see come out as “Arcade Archives” games on PS4:

– The Street Fighter series (Street Fighter, Street Fighter II, Street Fighter II Champion Edition, Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting, Super Street Fighter II, and Super Street Fighter II Turbo)

– The Mortal Kombat series (Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat II, Mortal Kombat 3, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, Mortal Kombat 4)

+ Vaughn21 on February 26th, 2016 at 8:31 am said:

Loved the Double Dragon games. However, I wish they would do River City Ransom next.

+ DaveedT13 on February 26th, 2016 at 12:54 pm said:

River City Ransom would be AWESOME!! There is no more games like that anymore!

I loved all the games starring those chars, the Dodge Ball one, the Volley-Ball one and the “Olympic” one…lol

An indie sequel (they bought the rights for it) is suppose to get release soon but…didn’t heard that much news about it lately…

I don’t understand why some devs don’t release some modern “simple-looking” sequels to those games, including Double Dragons…simple but not pixelated, with clean cartoon graphics, pseudo-3D or not.

+ VIDEOgameDROME on February 27th, 2016 at 2:27 pm said:

River City Ransom was the ****! :D So awesome!

+ febwtf on February 26th, 2016 at 9:03 am said:

I remember playing DDIII in the arcades and thinking “WTF? you want me to buy upgrades with actual money?” So yeah, congratulations on trailblazing in-game purchases, you idiot.

+ DunningKrugerMD on February 26th, 2016 at 9:25 am said:

Would’ve made sense to do a PS Vita version…

+ Guyper on February 26th, 2016 at 9:36 am said:

Hamada-san,

Could you please release a DLC content that let us able to play Double Dragon 1 and 2 in online coop? The fans are willing to pay extra for it.

Please don’t release “Return of Double Dragon” on PS4 unless you plan to implement online coop.

+ axeblade07 on February 26th, 2016 at 11:27 am said:

For everyone asking about online COOP. You can use Share play with someone on this. I used it on Double Dragon with my brother. It worked great. Just another option at least.

+ Guyper on February 26th, 2016 at 6:32 pm said:

Thanks so much for that. Now, I love PS4 even more!!!

+ boxmyth on February 26th, 2016 at 10:03 am said:

I love interviews like this and it’s always great to see classic games restored for new generations. More please.

+ PerezBros on February 26th, 2016 at 10:07 am said:

Needs scanline option

+ Hayades on February 26th, 2016 at 11:57 am said:

Are we going to get a 99 cent sale on the Arcade Archives titles one day? 7,99$ for each of these titles is insane.

+ ROLO_ONFIRE on February 26th, 2016 at 1:21 pm said:

Oh man! is that for real?? 8 bucks and not even cross-buy? what have they been smoking?

+ CaptainGoFast on February 26th, 2016 at 12:47 pm said:

Downloading this bad boy as soon as I get off of work. I’m so happy they are releasing this. I hope there is an option to adjust the “pixelation” on this one. And I hope there are no cheaters on the leaderboards this time. But I’m sure there will be.

+ derb on February 26th, 2016 at 1:37 pm said:

lol

Every AA title I have on PSN, there are at least a handful of people with 999,999,999,999 score. Good luck. :)

+ WolfmanJack74 on February 27th, 2016 at 12:18 am said:

Awesome! Me too..doing the same. Downloading early mañana

+ TheHerbinator75 on February 26th, 2016 at 1:40 pm said:

$7.99 a piece is way too high of an asking price for each of thsee titles.

+ TheHerbinator75 on February 26th, 2016 at 1:41 pm said:

*these*

+ WolfmanJack74 on February 27th, 2016 at 12:16 am said:

No way, definitely worth the price!! Awesome game.

+ ArunTahlan on February 26th, 2016 at 3:00 pm said:

Nice interview. By the way these games are also available on Wii U and 3DS:

It costs just $4.99 on Nintendo consoles (i.e. $3 lesser than the PS4 version).

+ makaro on March 5th, 2016 at 1:42 pm said:

Come on dude… These are the NES versions, PS4 got the original arcade one, a lot better/nicer, totally worth the price, even considering the old age… Like a good french wine those doesn’t get old…

+ pablikenemy79 on February 26th, 2016 at 3:20 pm said:

Why Not on VITA???????

+ gilgamesh21 on February 26th, 2016 at 3:32 pm said:

Thanks for all the fun Double Dragon games! Looking forward to new games in the series. I would love to see rereleases of Double Dragon Advance, the Japanese version of Super Double Dragon, and a PSN release of the Turbo Grafx 16/DUO version of Double Dragon II. Any chance Arcade Archives might come to more systems? Thanks again for all the great memories!

+ SpooNManX on February 26th, 2016 at 5:00 pm said:

Nice to see these classics on current gen consoles. I really wish we could get more of them.

Some of my favorite classics saw nice releases on the PS3, such as;
Neo-Geo Station (SNK/M2)
Capcom Arcade Cabinet (Capcom/M2)
Sega Vintage Classics(Sega/M2)
Final Fight Double Impact (Capcom)
R-Type Dimensions
X-Men & Simpsons arcade games (Konami)

I’d love to see some non-mainstream releases on the PS4… Marble Madness & MM2 (Someone call Mark Cerny!), DJ Boy, B-Boys, Some Cave shooters.

+ Hakumen__ on February 26th, 2016 at 5:08 pm said:

I haven’t bought any Arcade Archives for PS4, and don’t have have any plans to do so in the future either, but as others have pointed out, I do want to buy some of these for PS Vita, including this game.

+ Guyper on February 26th, 2016 at 6:33 pm said:

Hamada-san,

リターン・オブ・双截龍 onegaishimasu

+ Guyper on February 26th, 2016 at 7:10 pm said:

Can anyone confirm if the japanese and us version of arcade archives games share the same leaderboard?

+ Guyper on February 26th, 2016 at 7:25 pm said:

エレベーターアクション リターンズ

ドラゴンニンジャ

Onegaishimasu

+ WolfmanJack74 on February 27th, 2016 at 12:10 am said:

I love this game!! Double dragon was one of my best arcade games playing back in those days. I’m telling my age here, lol!! However I would most definitely be picking this up tomorrow on my PSN and most interesting will definitely want to pick up a new Double Dragon game created for PS4 with awesome crazy graphics that we get on here. Please create this game on the PS4 engine…I and many Double Dragons fans around the world will appreciate and definitely purchase such a game when it comes out. This will inspire new Double Dragon fans in this generation like in my own generation in the 80’s. Thank you Mr.Kishimoto for creating this game and bringing back memories especially when the first double dragon game came out back in 1987, best times in my life with the best games of the era!!!

+ Zamorian79 on February 29th, 2016 at 8:07 am said:

This game is fantastic. So many memories, such a good time in the arcades. Bought it the same day I saw it on the store. Not only that but it push me to bought other games from the arcade archives (Double Dragon, Renegade, Super Dodge Ball and Ninja Kid II). It is that good!

+ coldgarden on February 29th, 2016 at 1:59 pm said:

Double Dragon was a wonderful part of my childhood. River City Ransom is also awesome!

+ CaptainGoFast on March 2nd, 2016 at 10:59 am said:

I made a community for Double Dragon fans. Its called Double Dragon Games. Open forum, and everyone is welcome. Glad to see Double Dragon making its way back.