PlayStation VR

Mar 07

Mar 07

Sniper Elite 4 Launches This Year on PS4

Jason Kingsley's Avatar Posted by Creative Director and Co-founder, Rebellion

Today we’re thrilled to tell players that Sniper Elite 4 is coming to PS4 this year.

What you’ll want to know, of course, is what makes Sniper Elite 4 special, whether you’re a sharpshooting veteran or a rookie looking to get their teeth into a new third-person stealth action game — especially now that it’s the first in the series to be developed from the ground up for PS4.

I thought it might be nice to reveal a few secrets from the teaser trailer to get the juices flowing. Enjoy!

1943

Why is that opening date so important? Well, it places the game firmly in World War II of course, but there’s more to it than that. Sniper Elite 4 is set in Italy in the direct aftermath of the North African conflict seen in Sniper Elite 3, and Fascism’s grip on the Mediterranean is slipping.

Enter covert agent and series stalwart Karl Fairburne, dropped onto the Italian peninsula in advance of the Allied invasion. What starts out as an assassination mission quickly turns into a race to uncover a conspiracy that could end Allied hopes of retaking the continent for good…

A Country Divided

The opening scenes of the trailer show a town caught in the midst of war, civilian belongings strewn across a usually sleepy market square. We really wanted to mix picture-postcard imagery with the creeping dread of something more sinister because this is what makes the Italian conflict so interesting. There were lots of factions fighting for the future of the country, and these play an important part in both the narrative and the gameplay!

Sniper Elite 4 on PS4

Gigantic Sniper Sandboxes

That opening vista with all those iconic, red, Mediterranean rooftops? That’s just a small part of a beautiful coastal town which makes up just one region in one of the game’s earliest levels. Phew! Each campaign level is absolutely huge — many times bigger than those seen in Sniper Elite 3, and they already took hours to complete!

Just to stress, the footage isn’t pre-rendered or taken from cutscenes. What you’re seeing in the trailer is taken from environments you’ll actually be playing in.

That Rail(way) Gun!

Did you spot Karl right at the end? Well done if you did — he’s definitely dwarfed by his surroundings! No doubt your eye was drawn to the huge viaduct in the distant background, too.

Just like the earlier shots, this isn’t just set dressing, it’s taken from a real level and players actually have to get to the viaduct and then intercept that imposing railway gun. Whether you leave the viaduct still standing is, of course, up to you and your explosives.

We hope that’s whet your appetite for more stealthy sniping action. Look out for more news soon!

Add Your Own

Vengeance1138 said:

March 7th, 8:04 am

Wow! This dropped in out of nonwhere! What a great way to start the day. I very much look forward to hearing more on this insta-buy title as it develops.

Elway358 said:

March 7th, 8:12 am

Nice, I bought the last one with the nice steel case and extras. It was really a very nice looking fun game that I think went pretty unnoticed by a lot of players. I’m not even a fan of snipers in online shooters and things but this game is really cool. Glad to see this version built specifically for next gen. :)

Sathi-Geek_tech1 said:

March 7th, 8:31 am

My favorite Ever

FireGuy13 said:

March 7th, 8:32 am

Definitely looking forward to this. But did anyone else hear a resemblance to the Uncharted music at the very beginning?

qursdxx said:

March 7th, 9:03 am

Nice announcement with nearly every game been having delays. I bet it will be delayed til like 1st quarter of 2017

poodude said:

March 7th, 9:05 am

Awesome, loved the last two games and Zombie Army Trilogy! I saw that co-op will be returning, but do you mean co-op campaign like in Sniper Elite 3 or just co-op missions?

FearMonkey said:

March 7th, 9:17 am

Awesome, I love this series. I have them all on Steam though so that’s where I’ll get Sniper Elite 4. Aiming is better with a mouse/keyboard setup. Any thought on supporting mouse/keyboard on PS4? If so, I’d get it on PS4 instead. :3

cusman said:

March 7th, 9:50 am

Oddly I am more open to getting game on Steam when I know a controller is properly supported :)

Jisatsu_Kiddo said:

March 8th, 8:25 am

“Aiming is better with a mouse/keyboard setup.”

Can be.

busterdog2010 said:

March 7th, 9:37 am

lets hope there are more players on the servers than previous games

cusman said:

March 7th, 9:49 am

As long as it still has a co-op mode, and stellar single player worth playing through, I am gonna get it.

SureBigBuster said:

March 7th, 10:00 am

Best comment on this whole thread haha

SmokeAdellic said:

March 7th, 10:54 am

3D?

Axecution said:

March 7th, 2:49 pm

like actually though…

None of the PS4 games have 3D except for Super Stardust as far as i know. Im hoping once VR gets here we’ll start seeing more 3D games

plaztiksyke said:

March 8th, 12:31 pm

Zen Pinball 2; Trine 1, 2, and 3; Fez; Super Stardust Ultra; and a few other awesome developers have their beautiful games in stereo 3D. The Trine games are especially gorgeous in stereo 3D on PS4, as does Super Stardust Ultra. Playing Fez in stereo 3D is actually very helpful for wrapping your brain around some of the navigation/puzzles. 1080p60 gives stereo 3D a huge leap over 720p30 on the PS3 — from a ‘shrug’ to a ‘wow’. A proper OLED or SXRD display helps, too ;)

Pinball Arcade, Uncharted 3, Hustle Kings, Batman Arkham, MLB The Show, PES, Mortal Kombat, and numerous other ports/franichses all lost stereo 3D support on the way to PS4.

jerk_man said:

March 7th, 11:05 am

Idk if I’m alone on this, but I really wouldn’t mind a modern day setting.

TacticsPrecise said:

March 7th, 11:27 am

Add motion controlled aiming with the DS4 controller while zoomed in and you have a day one customer. Otherwise, I’ll continue to ignore the series since that is my main desire for sniping on consoles. Note that motion controls work PERFECTLY while sniping in the Vita’s Uncharted: Golden Abyss game.

oakleez said:

March 7th, 11:43 am

Will it support stereoscopic 3D like SE3 and Zombie Army Trilogy?! I can’t believe how 3D has been completely abandoned this generation!

plaztiksyke said:

March 8th, 12:22 pm

same question here! PS4 can obviously do 1080p60 stereo, but even a lot of the last-gen ports that supported stereo 3D lose that feature when coming to PS4. same thing for Move controls :/

Welmosca said:

March 7th, 12:00 pm

Wow already a 4th?…you guys at Rebellion are already milking this franchise no doubt about it.Give it a rest or it’ll become oversaturated.

I didn’t even had the chance to play 2,3 and ZAT yet and you guys are already releasing SE4…damn!! but anyway I know it’ll be good so count me in.

Jisatsu_Kiddo said:

March 8th, 8:27 am

this must be satire….

ICE_KOLD_KILLA92 said:

March 8th, 9:48 am

Milking? Are you serious? SE V2 released in 2012, SE3 released in 2014 and Zombie Army Trilogy which is seperate was released in 2015. This isn’t an annual release. Now, a company releasing products for sale is obviously seeking to make money and they will continue to make these as long as they are profitable. That isn’t milking. Milking is what Activision does with Call of Duty and Warcraft. Milking is what EA does with Star Wars Battlefront, Battlefield, Need for Speed, etc. Ubisoft with Assassin’s Creed, Tom Clancy games, etc.

Welmosca said:

March 8th, 10:41 am

@ ICE_KOLD_KILLA92 – So when they come with SE5 in 2018 still won’t be milking?…get real dawg.A game doesn’t need to be annual to be milked.

And excuse me but what EA does with Battlefront you say?….WTF before this new one the last game was released like what 10 years ago?…hmph.

DeathWhisperer7 said:

March 7th, 12:07 pm

HYPE! i can’t wait for it love this series :D

Akmaljon said:

March 7th, 1:05 pm

Second was amazing! Just got the 3rd and BOOM there is the forth!

old_bubble_head said:

March 8th, 4:47 pm

If you enjoyed V2 as much as you said, then by now you have taken SE3 back to GameStop because it’s multiplayer mode stinks. The campaign is great but how many times can you play it? Boring!!!

AvoidTalkingMice said:

March 7th, 4:47 pm

Yeeeeeeeeeees! Loved 2 and 3. (Never played 1)

IcedDice777 said:

March 8th, 2:24 am

Bought the collectors edition of Sniper Elite 3 on Day 1 and i enjoyed immensely on PS4. Co-op was awesome and the stages/mission did take awhile to complete.

I’m hoping for LAN support, if it is included i will gladly buy two retail copies :)

My .02

ELECTRICKLUKE said:

March 8th, 4:56 am

You don’t even know what fascist means… Go, quickly look it up on Google. Sheep

old_bubble_head said:

March 8th, 4:45 pm

I HOPE that they listened to all those of us who were deeply disappointed in SE3 because you can only play the multi-player game in ‘Kiddie’ mode with tagging, shooting aids, scope glint (even at night!!!!), and bullet trails. They never did release a version where REAL SNIPING could take place.

If they keep multi-player in ‘kiddie mode’, then I’ll wait to buy it for $2 at GameStop. Why they ignored SEV2’s many followers who are still there today because it is the ONLY TRUE sniper game with no cross. I never could understand why someone didn’t come out with more maps for V2.