Horizon Zero Dawn

Mar 08

25460388576_b3fbfb66cd_h

Everything is Coming to PS4

25460388576_b3fbfb66cd_h

David Oreilly's Avatar Posted by on Mar 08, 2016 // Creator & Developer

Hello friends, my name is David OReilly. I’m an artist based in Los Angeles and am from a town called Kilkenny in Ireland. Some of you might be familiar with my films, most of which are short or very short, and more might be familiar with the video game sequences I created in the movie Her. Mostly I am concerned with the medium of 3D and it’s effect on our brains.

I have been working on a new project for a long time with some very talented people, and I’m excited about sharing it with you today.

In Everything, every single thing is a playable character; if you can see it, you can be it. The game lets you see the entire universe from the point of view of the thousands of things in it. In other words, there is no distinction between you and the world, or between a level and a character. All these things experience and interact with the world differently.

Everything lets you be anything you want. If you ever wanted to see what it’s like to be a horse, or a paperclip, or the sun, this is for you. Your main power in the game is Being (there are more but I won’t ruin the surprise).

Everything on PS4Everything on PS4

This very simple idea has involved years of research and development, as virtually all game engines expect a lot of things to be static and non interactive. I should mention that I’m still quite new to this, and though I was very excited about this idea, I had no clue how backwards it was or how much work it would be. Together with Damien DiFede (who writes all of the code) we developed an entirely new way to create and design levels, which treat objects more like ecosystems, and slightly closer to how they would be in nature.

Everything is a game about the things we see, their relationships, and their points of view. In this context, things are how we separate reality so we can understand it and talk about it with each other. It sounds obvious, but people have been arguing about what things are since the dawn of time. This was the subject of my last game Mountain, and Everything explores this idea and more in much greater depth, and in a much more fun way.

Everything is launching exclusively on PS4 in the future (As soon as we finish it!).

+ brak014 on March 8th, 2016 at 11:13 am said:

Why wasn’t this game on PlayStation 3.

PlayStation 3, it only does Everything

+ al2009man on March 8th, 2016 at 11:29 am said:

Well played.

+ NeccoGuy21 on March 8th, 2016 at 6:23 pm said:

Shut up and take my money! This sounds like the perfect candidate for Steam’s Early Access or the Xbox Preview Program! Is there any possible way to do that with Playstation??

+ D__luffy__monkey on March 11th, 2016 at 7:47 pm said:

Hope its fun

+ CommandingTiger on March 14th, 2016 at 3:13 pm said:

Everything is coming to the PS4.
    We get that a lot.

+ whereymyconary on March 8th, 2016 at 11:14 am said:

Looks interesting. Like the prediction of release date

David Oreilly's Avatar

+ David O'Reilly on March 8th, 2016 at 11:54 am said:

It wont go on forever, or even that long. We’ll have an idea of launch date pretty soon!

+ mungo6000 on March 8th, 2016 at 9:10 pm said:

Im not falling for that one again! ^

+ SNAKEOTACONVAMP on March 29th, 2016 at 10:15 pm said:

This is to team ninja I would like it if you made a remastered version of ninja guidance three I really love that game I would be really happy if you make it I know you didn’t make a lot of sales on that game but I would really appreciate it if you made it for PS four that will be all

+ Ouren on March 8th, 2016 at 11:17 am said:

You tha man David O!
Been following you since 2009. Keep it up!

+ SNAKEOTACONVAMP on March 29th, 2016 at 10:18 pm said:

Ninja Gaiden is one of the best games I’ve played in my lifetime please make a remastered version of part three

+ Xer0Signal on March 8th, 2016 at 11:17 am said:

This sounds fascinating. Excited to see more!

David Oreilly's Avatar

+ David O'Reilly on March 8th, 2016 at 11:58 am said:

We cant wait to SHOW more! This is just the start, Ill be posting progress on the twitter & facebook a bunch as development progresses.

+ Kitty-Purry-0_0 on March 8th, 2016 at 11:17 am said:

This looks awesome and insane! (In a great innovative way!) Can’t wait for this masterpiece!

+ CGcarmineCG on March 8th, 2016 at 11:21 am said:

It seems very interesting and innovative, i’ll keep an eye on it.

+ american_36 on March 8th, 2016 at 11:27 am said:

“Everything is launching exclusively on PS4 in the future” – Now THAT’s what I call a bold statement, haha xDD

+ KidGreengene on March 8th, 2016 at 11:45 am said:

Now we just need a game called “Greatness”.

+ Soso75 on March 8th, 2016 at 12:02 pm said:

Thi would be great to play with my daughter, looking forward to more info.

+ plaztiksyke on March 8th, 2016 at 12:13 pm said:

I love developers and artists that explore the edges and push the medium, and they all seem to be on PlayStation.

Very much looking forward to this!

You mentioned the way 3D affects the brain — will this game support stereo 3D for 3D TVs/projectors?

David Oreilly's Avatar

+ David O'Reilly on March 8th, 2016 at 12:20 pm said:

We aren’t planning that yet, but it would be cool. By 3d I mean artificially generated worlds / characters / situations.

+ DorkyMohr on March 8th, 2016 at 12:18 pm said:

Can I be a Mountain?

+ g0mmyg0m on March 8th, 2016 at 12:21 pm said:

Looks pretty kool, been a fan of your animation for a while now. Does your saying “in a much more fun way” mean this is going to be a more “traditional” game than mountain?

David Oreilly's Avatar

+ David Oreilly on March 8th, 2016 at 12:57 pm said:

By fun I mean there is far more potential for surprise with Everything. Traditional is a tricky word, there’s more familiar mechanics here, but there are also totally new ones no other game has done.

+ Cybexx on March 8th, 2016 at 12:21 pm said:

I expect to be able to play as the logo and the skybox.

+ TERMINATOR543 on March 8th, 2016 at 12:28 pm said:

Interesting title, interesting concept, I will definetly be keeping an eye on this!

+ ASAPsunscreen on March 8th, 2016 at 12:29 pm said:

I’m sure that you don’t like talking about your work in comparison to your previous work, but this game seems like a natural progression of Mountain.

Was the idea that grew into Everything the same one that led you to create Mountain? Were the two games developed around the same time, or did one game lead to another? Did you experience on one inform the way you made the other?

David Oreilly's Avatar

+ David Oreilly on March 8th, 2016 at 2:21 pm said:

You’re right, this is definitely an extension of the same ideas that went into Mountain.

The seeds of this go back further than anything, some of it was started 7 years ago – maybe even longer, but it was too big to even dream of doing then. Creating Mountain and the fact that it found an audience gave me confidence that this could be made.

+ haltsir on March 8th, 2016 at 12:30 pm said:

Hi David,

Will this game be available on PSVR?

David Oreilly's Avatar

+ David Oreilly on March 8th, 2016 at 2:21 pm said:

No plans for that yet.

+ nani11421 on March 8th, 2016 at 12:35 pm said:

I just love the idea! I will be getting this for sure! Good luck David and Damien, I really can’t wait for your game to come out!

+ pujols48111 on March 8th, 2016 at 12:48 pm said:

You had me at “You can play as anything”! How much is it? Are there any trophies for the game?

David Oreilly's Avatar

+ David Oreilly on March 8th, 2016 at 12:59 pm said:

Hi pujols48111, it will not be expensive and there will be a lot of trophies.

+ lgwyant on March 8th, 2016 at 12:50 pm said:

What if i wanted to play as a transdimensional schizophrenic goldfish with a multiple personality disorder… does it have that?

David Oreilly's Avatar

+ David Oreilly on March 8th, 2016 at 1:01 pm said:

Everything has more goldfish than any other game, by far.

+ CrusaderForever on March 8th, 2016 at 1:10 pm said:

Such an innovative idea! Well done!

+ Kishnabe on March 8th, 2016 at 1:30 pm said:

So sick of Everything coming to the ps4 and nothing coming to the Vita.

+ NeccoGuy21 on March 8th, 2016 at 6:24 pm said:

Ah, I see what you did there ;)

+ andrew_pohuliai on March 8th, 2016 at 1:44 pm said:

So that’s where that Kilkenny ale got its name from.

+ sumbozo on March 8th, 2016 at 4:29 pm said:

And all this time I thought Kilkenny was a South Park reference :)

+ Juggalo_Skarr on March 8th, 2016 at 5:26 pm said:

Hey man what you playing today?

Everything.

No seriously…

+ Sonic512 on March 8th, 2016 at 7:06 pm said:

This is one of my dream games, along with No Mans Sky! I feel so lucky and so thankful to you for making this game! You had me at “Everything lets you be anything you want. If you ever wanted to see what it’s like to be a horse, or a paperclip, or the sun, this is for you. ” I have thought about being things like that! Now of course I wonder, I see you can be a peacock for example, but can you be an individual feather on the bird? If not its fine and I understand as it may be difficult, but just the idea of being anything I want fills me with joy and excitement! Truth be told that ability has been one of my wishes.

+ Poiso on March 8th, 2016 at 7:16 pm said:

Lovely trailer! Is the music original, or can I find it somewhere?

+ TheHerbinator75 on March 8th, 2016 at 9:15 pm said:

Very intriguing concept!

+ RClip213 on March 8th, 2016 at 10:18 pm said:

I don’t get it.

+ godswift on March 9th, 2016 at 12:52 am said:

as long as I can be a ZIKA virus or something… :))

+ Phearfo20 on March 9th, 2016 at 5:11 am said:

Stupid click bait…I’m done with online news…

+ Designatd_DrinkR on March 9th, 2016 at 9:11 am said:

So u say u can be everything but are those things restricted and or accurate to life either loosely or more strictly? I guess what I’m asking is if you can be a cheetah can you sprint like a cheetah and is there a limitation like a cheetah can only Sprint for like 5 seconds before its brain starts to over heat will that be in the game? Paperclip? Can I move and interact?

+ Tater_Lord on March 9th, 2016 at 5:18 pm said:

Is this game going to be multiplayer? I feel like this would be a funny game to play with a friend

+ Oisterboy on March 10th, 2016 at 8:50 am said:

LSD included or is it up to us to locate?

+ johnandangie14 on March 11th, 2016 at 8:14 pm said:

I’ll be following this and i will try to write an article on this tonight and post in the morning i would love to be included in a alpha test

+ miner_films on March 12th, 2016 at 1:50 am said:

So I can be everything and anything, so if I chose to be Clippit (A.K.A Clippy, the Microsoft paperclip), I could have a gaming session as a digital paperclip. So many choices, so many stories, so many achievements? How will I ever choose what to be? What to do?

It sounds like a very interesting game, would buy it when it’s out. Well depending on how much space it’ll take up, if its going to be big (20 gigabytes or more) then I might upgrade the PlayStation’s memory first and then get the game.

+ KILLAKLWN on March 15th, 2016 at 6:10 pm said:

I really want this trippy-as-balls game on the PSVR. This looks like some awesome mind blowing fun.