Watch Dogs 2

Mar 08

MLB The Show 16: Battle Royale and Conquest Mode Detailed

Lance Leahy's Avatar Posted by on Mar 08, 2016 // Designer

Hey baseball fans. I’m Lance Leahy, one of the game designers at San Diego Studio. I wanted to give everyone a rundown of two brand new game modes coming to MLB The Show this year.

Diamond Dynasty exploded last year and is quickly becoming one of the most popular modes in the franchise. In The Show 16, players will have more ways than ever to play America’s pastime with the introduction of Battle Royale and Conquest game modes.

Battle Royale is the most challenging and competitive game mode Diamond Dynasty has ever seen. In this player-versus-player experience, you’ll be challenged to draft a team and outlast opponents in a double-elimination tournament to acquire unique rewards.

MLB The Show 16MLB The Show 16

Conquest is like a classic turn-based strategy game that pits you against the 30 MLB teams on a map of North America. You’ll be tasked with the challenge of defeating MLB teams and conquering territories in order to complete specific missions that contain team-specific rewards.

Be sure to join us this Thursday on the San Diego Studio Twitch channel to get an exclusive, deep dive tour covering Battle Royale and Conquest.

If you have any questions about either of these features, feel free to ask them in the comments section below and we’ll do our best to address your questions at the end of next week’s livestream.

MLB The Show 16

And don’t forget, PS4 pre-orders for MLB The Show 16 are now live. Check out the MVP, Standard Edition, and bonus items right here!

In the meantime, we’ll be sending out news and updates at The Show Nation.

+ buffpotato on March 8th, 2016 at 7:22 am said:

Great! I can’t wait to not use these features in non-existent Vita version!

+ LoneRanger1975 on March 8th, 2016 at 8:03 am said:

C’mon, where the hell is even just a legacy Vita MLB version?! I buy every year’s version and play the hell out of them. MLB is one of the big reasons I bought my Vita. MAKE. ONE.

+ ZoSam32 on March 8th, 2016 at 1:34 pm said:

It was perfect to take your franchise on the go!

+ EnigmaNemesis on March 8th, 2016 at 9:26 am said:

MVP Edition pre-ordered. Can’t not wait to dive in this year!

+ NiTiB3AT on March 8th, 2016 at 10:21 am said:

If you were to compare conquest mode to another game what game would that be?

+ Evasive_Weasel on March 8th, 2016 at 12:19 pm said:

Conquest reminds me an awful lot of Risk or Civilization V.

+ JOrioles15 on March 9th, 2016 at 2:40 pm said:

Draft Champions: Madden NFL 16.

+ Evasive_Weasel on March 8th, 2016 at 12:20 pm said:

These are unique modes. I might not play them alot, but they could be fun. I appreciate the originality.

+ CreightonsOfFun on March 9th, 2016 at 12:19 pm said:

Not really all that original, battle royale seems a whole lot like Madden’s “Draft Champions”

+ cubbielovr on March 8th, 2016 at 12:22 pm said:

So excited for this iteration of the game, and even more excited for this season. Go Cubs and Go Rays!

+ rays1118 on March 8th, 2016 at 6:34 pm said:

indeed! GO RAYS!

+ Kishnabe on March 8th, 2016 at 1:32 pm said:

I have MLB 2014 and 15 for the Vita. When will we get a vita port….even a legacy edition( should not be hard to reskin the 2014 Version)

+ ZoSam32 on March 8th, 2016 at 1:33 pm said:

Battle Royal looks solid! Conquest reminds me of Risk lol. Can’t wait to jump in!

+ HITTERSAURUS-REX on March 8th, 2016 at 2:51 pm said:

@ post #2 & #7. I too am a Vita Owner LED Org Model. As great as the previous MLBTS titles played I’m Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but MLB’16 will not be arriving on the vita platform. Only playable through PS4 & PS3 consoles.

SDS here is a great question from one of our TSN forum members ThinkBluedgr:
“This looks really cool, especially when your short on time and cant play a full 9 innings. Only thing I dont like is that it costs 1500 stubs to play. Are we still accumulating stubs as we play or is it only tickets? If we are still accumulating stubs I will probably play this mode. I guess we will find out more on Thursday, but definately looks like a fun mode.

Also the Dodgers (Los Angeles County) are located west of the Angels who are in Anaheim (orange county) The map on conquest shows them in the wrong location.”

+ Skyyplum on March 8th, 2016 at 4:01 pm said:

Looking forward to picking up the MVP edition just a little sad it’s not coming with a dynamic theme this year.

+ OtakuDSKS on March 8th, 2016 at 6:21 pm said:

I’m still baffled how the WORLD CHAMPION Royals are getting no love at all in this game from everything I’ve seen so far…. they barely show up in any promo stuff, non-existent on the packaging…

I mean, WINNERS belong on the cover, and WINNERS deserve a theme… Josh Donaldson is ok, but I’m pretty sure he watched the World Series on TV like 99.9% of the world.

A.K.A. Not a winner.

With him on the cover, they really need to rename the game MLB 16: The Show: Debatable 3 or 4th Best Team in the League Edition.

+ indigoapple on March 9th, 2016 at 8:38 am said:

completely unrelated. Josh Donaldson was the MVP. He should be on the cover as much as anyone else.

+ bernardblack73 on March 8th, 2016 at 6:44 pm said:

What do the different packs do? Opening day, standard, etc.

+ indigoapple on March 9th, 2016 at 8:35 am said:

Different contents

+ jesseisawesome13 on March 8th, 2016 at 6:47 pm said:

Why is this year’s game called “the show 16” and not “16 the show”?

+ indigoapple on March 9th, 2016 at 8:35 am said:

Pre-ordered MVP edition. Counting down the days!!

+ Deejay_Lee on March 9th, 2016 at 10:38 pm said:

Just dropped a $50 deposit for The Show 16 MVP Edition at my local GameStop… well worth the extra $10 for the MVP Edition!!!
#CantWaitForMarch29th #BaseballIsBetter #PlaystationIsBetter #PS4 #OldSchoolGamer

+ MaDogNik96 on March 11th, 2016 at 9:21 am said:

I feel bad for the Vita players. My dad plays this series year round, and I get him every installment. He loves it. He plays it on PS3 however, which I know eventually will not be supported. I’m sure he’ll get a PS4 when that comes though.

+ the-frag-artist on March 13th, 2016 at 12:03 pm said:

So what you’re saying is, you put in all his effort to bolster your microtransaction section of the game. Can’t wait to READ how the rest is unchanged and unimproved.

+ doughboi23 on April 1st, 2016 at 2:24 pm said:

In the Diamond Dynasty mode, what are those little c’s on the bottom of the topps player cards? What do they stand for? Some players have 2 some have 3. Been trying to figure this out lol