Final Fantasy XV

Mar 09

25498009581_49c6c06ea0_z

Furi on PS4: A Gauntlet of Brutal Boss Battles

Emeric Thoa's Avatar Posted by on Mar 09, 2016 // Creative Director, The Game Bakers

There is a feeling that I remember from when I was a kid playing video games: the huge, intense satisfaction when I finally beat a level or a boss I had been struggling with for a while. The feeling of learning how to overcome a challenge, with my brain and my thumbs. The combination of understanding and execution felt like a reward in itself.

I remember it from games like Super Punch Out, bosses from Metal Gear Solid, combat in God Hand. There are many games that gave me that feeling, but recently I’ve felt that games try too hard to be “user friendly.” Adaptive difficulty, dynamic checkpoints, in-game tips… Everything is explained and balanced to make sure nobody drops out.

With Furi, we want to give the player an extreme satisfaction when he or she beats a boss. That means he or she will have to sweat a little for it.

Furi is heavily inspired by the Japanese way of making games. It’s not trying to be realistic in its style or animations. It’s fast-paced and requires a lot of timing, reflex, and judgment. When you press a button, the character reacts immediately. It’s part of what makes it “fair.” Too often in modern games, we press a button and then, in order to make the game look realistic, the character will start an animation that “looks good” but “feels heavy,” and is unresponsive, even laggy. Responsive controls feel good and are a must-have in a combat game.

Furi on PS4Furi on PS4

The gameplay in Furi is the essence of the catchphrase “easy to learn, hard to master.” There are very few buttons to press or abilities to remember. You can slash with your sword, shoot with your gun, dodge, and parry. That’s about it.

You can charge the slash attack, the gunshot, and the dodge. It’ll result in a more powerful slash that stuns the opponent, a more powerful gunshot that knocks him or her down, and a longer dodge. But once you’ve got that, you can play Furi. It’s like a guitar: it has six strings, but you need practice to play it correctly. And there’s no limit to how much you can improve. It’s simple and deep.

The challenges are mostly based on a simple formula: be warned, react, punish.

Dodge a laser. Parry a sword attack. Wait for the weakness in your opponent’s posture, and bam, punish. The real depth in the gameplay comes from the differences between the bosses. It’s not about learning tons of combos to beat the next boss, it’s about how you play a few moves differently to beat a different opponent.

Some bosses, or “guardians,” will focus more on shooting. Others will challenge mostly your sword fighting. Some opponents are deadly and will knock you down in two or three hits. Some fights will require a lot of focus over a long time. A fight can last 10 minutes or 90 minutes depending on how you play. And of course, each guardian in the game has one or two special tricks, weapons, or abilities that make him or her unique.

In our latest trailer we’re showing one of the fiercest guardians. She is a tactician, a hunter, a playful mercenary who doesn’t leave anything to chance. She has planned her fight and has weapons to help her win: drones, a laser sniper rifle, great camouflage, and she can even control every bit of the arena she fights in, raising cover and blocking paths.

Furi on PS4

At first, she’ll hunt you, hidden in her maze, shooting at you while you are distracted by her cyber-bees. You will have to find her, and attack her before she relocates. You’ll get to face her for a while if you can do that, but that’s still playing into her hand.

In order to take her out of her comfort zone, you’ll have to follow her into her nest, in the center of the maze, and knock her out once or twice. Once this is done, she’ll get pissed off and she’ll keep sniping at you while you have to dodge waves of bullets coming fast. Eventually, the final challenge is to fight her hand to hand… while she is invisible! This requires sharp reflexes and focus.

I recommend taking a break after beating her. Because I know the guardian that comes after!

We’re interested in hearing your feedback. Let us know what you think and if you have questions.

24 Comments

+ Aescarion on March 9th, 2016 at 6:22 am said:

Looks awesome. I hope with the tight timing we get responsive controls and no input lag. Any hint of a release window?

+ ichiwuzy on March 9th, 2016 at 3:48 pm said:

This year 2016 ! Hopefully sooner than later.

+ pillank on March 9th, 2016 at 6:26 am said:

Wow, the neon color, retrowave music in the battles, aaaaawesome!!!! Who is the composer? Official OST of the game??

+ ichiwuzy on March 9th, 2016 at 3:49 pm said:

Game Bakers have big plans for the OST. We hope they all come true! Definitely an OST for the game release.

+ Supermoon11 on March 9th, 2016 at 6:26 am said:

That sound track is fireeee!

P.S I LOVE XOXO

+ poetaytoe on March 9th, 2016 at 6:37 am said:

Can’t wait – BRING IT ON!

+ mastocklkaksi on March 9th, 2016 at 6:38 am said:

I hope extreme satisfaction doesn’t mean landing the final blow in a cutscene, as in the trailer.
Anyway, it’s on my radar now.

+ BlueBl1zzard on March 9th, 2016 at 6:50 am said:

Aww man that trailer is looking mighty impressive. I too love that feeling of satisfaction of overcoming a very difficult challenge (who doesn’t?) especially in the form of boss fights; it’s one of the things I love so much about the Souls series. And while I’ll admit I do enjoy games with lots of flashy combos, there’s still a certain badass-ness that can be felt even in games without a complex combo system but that still require skill and push you to efficiently and effectively use the tools at your disposal.

Couple questions:

1) Estimated release date? I don’t even care about price, this game just jumped to a high spot in my most anticipated list.

2) ANY chance for a PS Vita version, even if it’s post-PS4 release? I would buy that in a heartbeat and love you guys forever :)

3) Is there more to the game than boss fights? Not a problem to me either way, but just wondering, as most of the post seemed to be talking bout them.

Thanks all who worked on this title, I’m extremely looking forward to checking it out!

P.S. Props to the player from the video, that boss looked ridiculous and he/she made quick work of her (without making it look easy)!

+ ichiwuzy on March 9th, 2016 at 3:51 pm said:

2016 as release date. No Vita version but PS4 and PC. The game is mostly about boss fights, but you would not want to add a drum kit to a guitar, would you?

+ Gorvi on March 9th, 2016 at 7:57 am said:

Looks like a lot of fun. :)

+ Nakhor- on March 9th, 2016 at 8:51 am said:

Instabuy! Focus on gameplay experience that’s what we need! <3

+ AnotherCredit on March 9th, 2016 at 9:05 am said:

Did you guys hire Lazerhawk or is the soundtrack in-house? I think I’m sold on the music alone.

+ ichiwuzy on March 9th, 2016 at 3:53 pm said:

Master Carpenter Brut is one of the musicians on the OST. But the OST is made of original compositions from pretty amazing electro bands. Can’t wait to unveil the full line up!

+ OnTheBus666 on March 9th, 2016 at 9:36 am said:

Day one this looks awesome! As for feedback I agree that a vita version would be amazing if it is reasonable to port over

+ shadysaiyanz on March 9th, 2016 at 11:28 am said:

Well it’s gameplay is different than i thought it would be. Looks kinda fun but i don’t think it’s a day one for me, maybe eventually. It’s kinda like bullet hell which im not too big a fan of.

+ Excecior on March 9th, 2016 at 7:39 pm said:

This game looks seriously amazing! Great combat and killer soundtrack. Cant wait to play it.

+ D-Squad3 on March 9th, 2016 at 8:17 pm said:

definitely a day one purchase! I just want to know the release date!

+ cronqvist on March 9th, 2016 at 8:43 pm said:

The colors are too much on my eyes, but in shor bursts this looks like my kind of fun. Somehow reminded me of Shinobi on PS2. Looking forward to a release. :)

+ stalemate666 on March 9th, 2016 at 10:25 pm said:

Looks awesome I wish more developers would abandon realism. Don’t have a ps4 yet but put it on my ps4 games to get list.

+ GamerX-VA on March 10th, 2016 at 10:22 am said:

All I want to know is how soon can you take my money!!

I need this in my life!

+ anydoubleyou on March 10th, 2016 at 3:24 pm said:

Looks SO DOPE. Everything you wrote about in your blog post spoke a lot to me — as a gamer who grew up in Asia (Thailand) playing Japanese games. I love the fantastical, the unrealistic, the craziness of things in a videogame that you can’t do in real like (like super attacks!).

Too many try to be realistic nowadays!! :D

+ Enigma777 on March 11th, 2016 at 6:14 pm said:

I swear to god, this game is the 3D isometric version of a sidescroller game idea I had about 5 years ago. I’m incredibly excited to try it and frankly a little ticked-off too. Like it’s so close to what I envisioned, it’s scary (down to the protagonist’s hair color!)

You guys are not some kind of mind readers, are you?

+ Hakumen__ on March 11th, 2016 at 6:48 pm said:

I really hope you consider a PS Vita version. This kind of game would be awesome to play on the go.

+ derekisazombie on March 13th, 2016 at 10:20 am said: