Call of Duty Infinite Warfare

Mar 09

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

The Making of Uncharted 4: Watch the First Episode Now

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Arne Meyer's Avatar Posted by on Mar 09, 2016 // Director of Communications, Naughty Dog

We’ve got a great treat for you as we head into the final weeks of development — today, we are kicking off our five-episode behind-the-scenes series, The Making of Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End. The video team at PlayStation was given incredible access to our studio, game assets, and many of the people working on Uncharted 4, to craft a compelling series to cap off this final chapter for Nathan Drake.

We’re calling this first episode The Evolution of a Franchise. It’s a great way to kick off this “Making of” series, as we take a brief look how Naughty Dog and the Uncharted series has evolved since Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune made its debut on PS3 in 2007, including the influence of The Last of Us on the team and our development process.

Enough talk, here’s the first episode of The Making of Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End.

The five-episode series is scheduled to be released throughout March and April, so check back to get a behind-the-scenes look at the Making of Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End. You’ll want to stick around for the full series — I would go so far as to say it was emotional for a few people here to watch by the time the series wrapped up.

Here’s a quick rundown at the upcoming episodes:

• The Making of Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End: The Evolution of a Franchise
  • The Making of Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End: Growing up with Drake
  • The Making of Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End: Pushing Technical Boundaries Part 1
  • The Making of Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End: Pushing Technical Boundaries Part 2
  • The Making of Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End: In the End

The team is still hard at work finishing up Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End, and we’ll be revealing more leading up to the worldwide release on May 10th, 2016. Pre-order your copy now if you haven’t already.

+ Logan22 on March 9th, 2016 at 8:11 am said:

You murdered my hype for Doom

+ A-F-A-Q-U-E on March 9th, 2016 at 8:46 am said:

Thank you Naughty Dog for giving us something to look for until May 10th. I hope every episode will showcase the hard-work of everyone who has been a part of this amazing project and their great minds put to test in bringing Uncharted 4 to life. Looking forward for upcoming episodes.

Arne Meyer's Avatar

+ Arne Meyer on March 9th, 2016 at 11:56 am said:

Thank you for being a fan!

+ Welmosca on March 9th, 2016 at 9:05 am said:

Nice very nice,love behind the scenes.Unfortunately as much as I want to I won’t watch them though…too much spoilers for me who the last piece of media watched from UC4 was the 15 min gameplay.But I saw the beginning and its awesome to see Nolan North and Troy Baker working together on UC4, I had doubts but now I know for sure that Sam is voiced by Troy Baker,didn’t recognized his voice in the 2 gameplay videos,only in the beta.

Talking about the beta…I hope you guys make an option to switch aim/fire buttons to L1 and R1.
And more importantly I hope you guys fix your network and that the full game won’t release with a network as crappy as the beta had…I could barely play without being removed from matchs due to network issues which is pure nonsense considering I never have any problems while playing other games online so please fix your servers,network systems or whatever cuz I loved the MP and I would like to play when the game releases.Thank you.

Arne Meyer's Avatar

+ Arne Meyer on March 9th, 2016 at 12:04 pm said:

If you want to avoid all spoilers, definitely try to stay away from just about anything we release about the game – but we’re very conscious of maintaining a great experience for all our players, so we keep that in mind with all releases. The game is really ambitious, so even then we’ve only started scratching the surface.

Final game will have more options to customize controls than you saw in the Beta and Stress Test.

Thanks for your feedback – we’ll make sure the team sees it.

+ dllscowboysfan on March 9th, 2016 at 9:19 am said:

Switching to L1/R1!? That PS3 Stockholm syndrome still holding true. The ds4 is such an upgrade and especially the triggers.

+ xDD90x on March 9th, 2016 at 11:03 am said:

Interesting how some people experienced network issues with the beta while others didn’t. I for one played 2 separate sessions of the beta, each lasting about 2 – 3 hours, without experiencing a single network related issue. However, the matchmaking process definitely took way too long, though once a match was made, I was impressed by how quickly the maps loaded.

And as for using L1/R1 for aim/fire, I will never understand why anyone would want to press a button to simulate pulling a trigger, especially when you have such an exceptional trigger to pull just centimeters away. In fact, back on the original ps3 trilogy, I used to wish that there was an option to map aim/fire to the dualshock 3’s triggers – as lousy as they were. And whenever a game offered the option, I would always use it.

Regardless, I’m confident that this option will be available in the final game for those who prefer it.

+ LiquidGotti on March 9th, 2016 at 9:09 am said:

Arne Meyer's Avatar

+ Arne Meyer on March 9th, 2016 at 12:04 pm said:

Neither can we! :D

+ Kingscorpion81 on March 9th, 2016 at 10:03 am said:

Can’t wait

+ death_nation100 on March 9th, 2016 at 10:38 am said:

Why the delay ? What you get for pre ordering it ?

+ Oste18262009 on March 9th, 2016 at 5:44 pm said:

Arne Meyer's Avatar

+ Arne Meyer on March 9th, 2016 at 12:06 pm said:

All explained here:

You can get to the pre-order offers by going to the individual retailers from the game site:

Be sure to update your country/language if you’re not in the US.

+ Argathyn on March 9th, 2016 at 12:47 pm said:

I love it! Really excited for the release of Uncharted 4. Been a fan since Uncharted 1!

+ MaxXyian2 on March 9th, 2016 at 1:05 pm said:

Thank You Naughty Dog. I’ve supported you guys since I was much younger with Crash Bandicoot then there’s Uncharted and my favorite TLOU. I appreciate your work. Keep it up. Big fan.

+ ps_gamer31097 on March 9th, 2016 at 2:13 pm said:

Arne, will uncharted 4 be the best naughty dog game yet? :D Oh and how long approximately will be the single player campaign?

+ beltsquid on March 9th, 2016 at 4:52 pm said:

I keep telling myself that I’m gonna stop watching new videos but then i can’t help myself, oops. Anyway this is looking great; lemurs alone have justified my pre-order.

+ Oste18262009 on March 9th, 2016 at 5:45 pm said:

Cant stop myself from looking up spoilers. So disappointed in myself.

+ cusman on March 10th, 2016 at 7:48 am said:

Looking forward to the game

+ Ind3structoman on March 10th, 2016 at 7:57 am said:

Naughty Dog,

Thank you very much for the surplus of feels and hype tingles you have provided me (and every other fan) throughout the years!

+ W1ngf00t on March 10th, 2016 at 9:35 am said:

At 6:36, did I hear Phil say this “MAY be the final chapter”? I’m pretty sure I did :)

+ HONGPINGben on March 11th, 2016 at 11:21 am said:

Great work Naughty Dog team i hope one day i can see the Movie Uncharted

+ billybudd1 on March 12th, 2016 at 7:51 am said:

The PC boys are pulling their hair out online…”ROTTR will be better”,
“Drakes motion-capture will never come up to a PC graphics card” etc, etc…

What is with those chumps? Some hard-core PC gamers really want it to fail; leading to it being crap eventually running with a PC emulator

Is it that Uncharted-4 is exclusive to ps4?

+ praveen_gp on March 16th, 2016 at 11:22 am said: