God of War

Mar 10

24854233144_f44c764c36_h

Dragon Fantasy: The Black Tome of Ice Arrives March 22nd on PS4

24854233144_f44c764c36_h

Bryan Sawler's Avatar Posted by on Mar 10, 2016 // Founder, President and CEO, Muteki Corporation

The year was 2013, and our then-four man team (and some amazing volunteers) at Muteki were just finishing almost two years of work on Dragon Fantasy: Book II. We had finally made the glorious 16-bit style JRPG we set out to make when we were teenagers. Only it wasn’t done.

Sometimes when you pour everything you’ve got into a game for years on end until your only options are to ship or die, it’s hard to really see what you’ve got. And what we had was a good game, but it was buried under a pile of rough edges.

Fast forward to 2015. Years had gone by, new jobs had been found, yet we still weren’t able to move on because we hadn’t really accomplished what we set out to do with Dragon Fantasy.

Dragon Fantasy: The Black Tome of Ice on PS4

The solution was clear: time to get back to work. We put in time on our nights and weekends for a year to fix the game that had been our childhood dream. We even got some help from our very good friends over at Choice Provisions where Adam (writer, designer, lead programmer, numerous other hats worn) now works! And today, I’m proud to announce that Dragon Fantasy: The Black Tome of Ice will be coming to PS4 on March 22nd, 2016.

Dragon Fantasy: The Black Tome of Ice is best described as the director’s cut of the game previously titled Dragon Fantasy: Book II. We fixed dozens of bugs. We improved the storytelling. We re-tuned all of the battles in the game. And then we added a few new features and even a new boss fight for good measure.

Do you like more of a challenge? Crank that new difficulty slider all the way up. You’ll have to pick each command carefully in battle or risk certain defeat. Prefer to breeze through the game? Turn it back down. You can do it whenever you want.

Dragon Fantasy: The Black Tome of Ice on PS4Dragon Fantasy: The Black Tome of Ice on PS4

Are you more of a completionist? We added a new in-game bestiary to help you track which monsters you’ve defeated and captured.

Need help finishing your bounty hunts? The Thieve’s Guild has established outposts in every major town in the game to help you collect your earnings.

With Dragon Fantasy: The Black Tome of Ice on PS4 we’re able to finally release the game as we wanted to the first time around. And if you’re a fan of retro-JRPGs, we’re sure you’ll love it.

To head off a few of the obvious questions:

Is this some evil money grab to get more cash from the people that already bought the games, just to get a better version?

Nope! This game will be included in the original cross buy deal, so if you bought Dragon Fantasy: Book II on PS3 or PS Vita, you get this version too. Enjoy.

Dragon Fantasy: The Black Tome of Ice on PS4

Why the new title?

We reworked the story so that you can comfortably play through this game without ever having played previous games in the series, and wanted to make sure the game stood out on its own. Plus, it sounds cooler!

Any other questions? Leave them in the comments. I’ll be around to answer them!

+ Lambo21 on March 10th, 2016 at 7:10 am said:

Will we be getting the original game too on PS4 at some point?! Loved these games but never was able to finish them and would love to replay both on PS4

Bryan Sawler's Avatar

+ Bryan Sawler on March 10th, 2016 at 3:55 pm said:

We haven’t decided it. I suppose it depends how well this does on PS4.

+ Lambo21 on March 16th, 2016 at 10:26 am said:

cool, fingers crossed! I know I’ll be picking this up!

+ dam6655 on March 10th, 2016 at 7:19 am said:

I really love the Dragon Fantasy games and would like more games likes. Thank you for all your hard work.

Bryan Sawler's Avatar

+ Bryan Sawler on March 10th, 2016 at 4:05 pm said:

Thank you! We make these games out of love, and the hope is that maybe this release of Black Tome of Ice will bring in enough sales to allow us to make that third game people keep asking for. Fingers crossed all around!

+ takeshikitano3 on March 10th, 2016 at 7:19 am said:

Are the PSN trophies separate? Will we be able to earn a platinum trophy again? I loved this game haha.

Bryan Sawler's Avatar

+ Bryan Sawler on March 10th, 2016 at 3:56 pm said:

Sadly no, we share the PSN trophy set.

+ ShadowStar83x on March 10th, 2016 at 4:26 pm said:

While it’s a bit disappointing to hear this won’t get a new trophy list, I’m still going to play it because I’m curious of the changes and all that.

+ bstie1198 on March 10th, 2016 at 7:20 am said:

At first, I thought this was the announcement of the third game in the series and got really excited. This is pretty cool, though. Cross buy is definitely appreciated. I probably won’t get around to a replay on PS4 due to an out of control backlog (192 games at the moment), but it’s nice to have the option.

+ Alucard-XII on March 10th, 2016 at 7:22 am said:

I’m wondering about the first game too.

Kudos for the cross buy move on DF2. I would ask Sony to do the same with the PS2 games releases on PS4. At least they could offer a discount for those who bought their first party games on PS3 (Mark of Kri, Twisted Metal Black).

+ MakaiOokami on March 10th, 2016 at 11:16 am said:

I think the reason they don’t do an upgrade option is so that other companies don’t have to be compelled to do the same thing, in order to get other companies willing to put forth the effort of testing, quality assuring, debugging, anti-seizuring, implementing trophies, so on and so fourth.

They aren’t going to add an upgrade option to the games that they released a long time ago. Just wait for a sale. Otherwise you’ll be a broken record for the rest of your life. If they give an upgrade option NOW, they will get nothing but crap for it, everyone will expect it going forward, and people will want refunds.

+ Alucard-XII on March 10th, 2016 at 11:42 am said:

Exactly my point. They need to set an example for third party companies. If they don’t do it this generation, publishers will get greedy and we will be re-buying these games over and over.

And I do actually think those who already paid for both versions (PS3 + PS4) deserve free credit in case an upgrade was implemented.

+ Gorvi on March 10th, 2016 at 7:27 am said:

Wow, that’s awesome. I really need to go back to Book 2 on the Vita, I loved Book 1 but got sidetracked pretty close to the beginning of Book 2.

Bryan Sawler's Avatar

+ Bryan Sawler on March 10th, 2016 at 3:57 pm said:

If you haven’t played through much of the game on Vita, I would strongly suggest waiting for this. The tuning and story delivery improvements make it a much better experience.

+ elchorno on March 10th, 2016 at 7:34 am said:

Greta to hear that this is coming to PS4! I finished the first game, started Book II, but didn’t get far. Looks like I’m going to jump into this version as well. Thanks again for making it cross-buy!

+ jrodfantastic on March 10th, 2016 at 7:34 am said:

What great news! I loved Book I, and very much wanted to play Book II. I never did that though because I heard it was… well… Broken.

Now I’m psyched that I get to experience the complete story. Thanks for the hard work!

(And hold out hope for a Book III to arrive on 45 PS1 discs, jk.

Bryan Sawler's Avatar

+ Bryan Sawler on March 10th, 2016 at 4:08 pm said:

Unfortunately a lot of people heard that…
    In all seriousness, we had some issues at launch, and while most of them were taken care of in the first week or two it was already too late for a lot of people.

But everyone deserves a second chance now, right? :)

+ jrodfantastic on March 10th, 2016 at 6:29 pm said:

Great engagement Bryan! I’m very excited to play this!

+ TomHoang on March 10th, 2016 at 7:35 am said:

Thought this was Book III before I read the article, but I’m still pretty excited for this. I would also like to know if this has a separate trophy list from the PS3/Vita version, as I got 100% in Books 1 & 2.

Also to anyone who hasn’t played this yet, this game has a soundtrack rivaling that of Final Fantasy or Chrono Trigger. I was happy to buy the Limited Edition CD from Scarlet Moon

+ madmanwithabox12 on March 10th, 2016 at 7:38 am said:

Is Book II ever coming to Europe?

Bryan Sawler's Avatar

+ Bryan Sawler on March 10th, 2016 at 3:59 pm said:

The Black Tome of Ice will absolutely be coming to Europe. We’re in the middle of the submission process still so we don’t have a firm date, but we’re anticipating April.

+ Lance_87 on March 10th, 2016 at 9:35 am said:

Yeah, came here to say this. Did you deliberately forget to release it over there or what?

+ Lance_87 on March 10th, 2016 at 9:36 am said:

did you guys* of course i meant that, not you as “madmanwithabox12”, lol.

+ takeshikitano3 on March 10th, 2016 at 12:26 pm said:

It is indeed coming to Europe soon. They said that on Facebook, but perhaps haven’t been back here to answer these questions yet.

+ Lance_87 on March 11th, 2016 at 12:36 am said:

@Bryan: we actually asked about the old Book II for Vita/PS3… -_-

+ Sneeches on March 10th, 2016 at 7:46 am said:

Looks awesome. Can’t wait to try it.

+ boxxieboxx on March 10th, 2016 at 8:06 am said:

will this be coming for vita?

+ PAFenix on March 10th, 2016 at 9:07 am said:

Good to hear about the Cross Buy. I was an early adopter, but didn’t get far into the game because I got caught in a door.

You guys are pretty awesome to do this. Keep up the great work!

+ ShadowStar83x on March 10th, 2016 at 9:25 am said:

Even though I would’ve rather had Book III be announced, this is awesome! Can’t wait to take it for a spin. :) Hoping there’s a new trophy set, too, since I’m into that sort of thing.

Bryan Sawler's Avatar

+ Bryan Sawler on March 10th, 2016 at 4:12 pm said:

It’s simple, just convince all of your friends to buy this to show us there’s the audience there on PS4 and we’ll make Book III happen haha!

+ saintaqua on March 10th, 2016 at 10:06 am said:

I was expecting to be slapped with a price even though I bought the other version…so nice to hear I get it for free! I’d have rather played it on my Vita, but I am thankful to you for bringing it to PS4!

+ theuselesshero on March 10th, 2016 at 10:07 am said:

So, will this be an update/patch available later? or a separate download?

+ SureBigBuster on March 10th, 2016 at 10:33 am said:

Looks great, but I’d like to play it on the Vita, not PS4…

+ ShadowStar83x on March 10th, 2016 at 6:06 pm said:

How much is it if you don’t own Book II already?

+ Hakumen__ on March 10th, 2016 at 6:15 pm said:

I wanted to say that I would also prefer to play this on my PS Vita than on my PS4.

+ locutus442 on March 10th, 2016 at 7:02 pm said:

This is certainly good news, as I bought the Ps3 version a couple of years ago.

+ BooneIronshield on March 10th, 2016 at 7:08 pm said:

It’s great that you’re making it part of the cross-buy bundle. I plan on buying it again on this ID just to help show support.

As the first person mentioned too, I’d love to see Book 1 brought to PS4 as well provided this release of Book II does well enough to justify it.

+ big_bob002 on March 11th, 2016 at 5:16 am said:

Sounds great. Can you please elaborate a little on the new boss? Is it hard? Any reward for beating it? Any back story?

+ Kilrith on March 11th, 2016 at 9:33 am said:

I’d buy the series on Vita if this were on it – I prefer my turn based games on my Vita, for the most part. Is this going to be on the Vita as well? Or just PS4?

+ big_bob002 on March 11th, 2016 at 1:25 pm said:

@Kilrith – Dragon Fantasy Book 1 and 2 are both available on Vita. Book 1 captured the “feel” of an old school NES rpg. It was grindy and you had to return to town often. Book 2 felt like an snes era rpg. It was easier with more emphasis on narrative and better production values all the way around (music, graphics, enemy variety, etc).

This PS Blog post is about an enhanced version of Dragon Fantasy Book 2 that will only be available on ps4.

+ Kishnabe on March 12th, 2016 at 9:11 am said:

Thanks, uber much.

For giving previous buyers to enjoy the PS4 version. Got the 100 percent for the first book and platted the 2nd one.

Bestiary is great addition….remember having to manually write what I caught. Help out the hunters.

Hoping, this does well enough for Book 3….if book 3 will come out…hope the Vita is still an option.

+ DustinZey19 on March 16th, 2016 at 7:40 pm said:

Can’t wait to once again dive Into Dragon Fantasy. Loved both games. Hope someday we get III and a physical release as I would love to add this to my collection on my shelf.

+ uriah1989 on March 18th, 2016 at 12:19 pm said:

Like many others prior I thought this was the third installment as well and was excited before I read it. However, I am still excited that it is a remastering and I can replay it on the PS4 now, and complete all of the achievements. I enjoyed your first game, but absolutely loved the 2nd game. Keep up the great work and I look forward to playing more of your games!

On a side note have you guys thought about doing a crowdfunding campaign to get the 3rd game started. I would definitely back it and donate money if you did.