PlayStation Vue

Mar 14

25076879274_e201b5bd96_h

Battlezone: Explosive Campaign Revealed

Jason Kingsley's Avatar Posted by on Mar 14, 2016 // Creative Director and Co-founder, Rebellion

So who’s sitting with bated breath eagerly awaiting the PlayStation’s VR event tomorrow? I know we are! From the reveal of Project Morpheus to the unveiling of PlayStation VR, we feel like virtual reality has been in the news for a while (We announced Battlezone nearly 10 months ago — I can’t believe it!), but only now are players starting to see what kind of complete game experiences they’ll be getting in virtual reality.

And now it’s Battlezone’s turn to show what it’s made of!

We’ve chatted about it a little before on PlayStation.Blog, but it’s probably worth repeating that yes, there’s a sizeable single-player campaign at the heart of the Battlezone, but there’s also something a little bit different going on underneath…

Today we’re showing off a new campaign trailer that gives you lovely, sweeping views of some new levels we’ve been working on, including a stunning night-time arena, glowing industrial environments, windswept ice wastes, and a heavily updated version of the “neon” level seen in the game’s original teaser.

Oh, and don’t forget to check out the completely redesigned cockpit packed with cool new details and panels!

As a player, you’ll experience explosive vehicle tank combat across all these different environments — and more — but what’s most exciting is that once you’ve completed the campaign, your next playthrough will be very different.

The campaign map where you pick missions is structured across a series of interlocking “hexes” that need to be completed to progress to the finale, and it’s up to you to forge a path through the campaign of your own choosing.

Battlezone on PlayStation VRBattlezone on PlayStation VR

However, if you restart the campaign at any time, the hex map is re-generated procedurally, and dozens of environments, levels, and mission types are blended together in a different combination. So each hex is now completely different from what it was before!

With each playthrough you’ll unlock more of the complete arsenal, increasing the pool of weapons and special equipment you’ll be offered as you progress.

This means that no two campaign playthroughs will be ever be the same as maps, missions, and the weapons at your command change radically with each attempt.

Obviously we’re hoping that Battlezone will be one of the first PlayStation VR games players buy, but we’re also designing it to be the one you return to time and time again… once VR has taken over the world, of course!

Anyway, that’s probably enough from me — look out for more Battlezone news and previews all this week from GDC!

19 Comments

+ SaviorMachine on March 14th, 2016 at 9:07 am said:

I will buy your game

+ CommandingTiger on March 14th, 2016 at 2:36 pm said:

Sony needs to make 2 PS Vr headsets. One Basic, One Premium.
    The basic one would have what the PS VR has now: x6 Motion-sensors, LED Non-OLED screen. 249.99$
    And a premium one with x9 Motion-sensors and IPS OLED w/Triluminous screen, PS Camera, side retro-projection box. 399.99$

The reason behind this is that if the PS5 is still going to support VR, that a superior VR exist to make the next generation VR better than the current one. If not, then we’ll still get to enjoy superior colours from the OLED screens.

+ otaku_no_bfm on March 14th, 2016 at 9:10 am said:

Looking good… Day one for me!

+ Butters360 on March 14th, 2016 at 9:12 am said:

Was lucky enough to experience this at last year’s PSX. Enjoyed my time I had with it. Will definitely pick it up on release.

+ gus_xl on March 14th, 2016 at 10:16 am said:

Man, this game looks good.

+ Bellalara on March 14th, 2016 at 10:24 am said:

Definite day one buy for me

+ DuoMaxwell007 on March 14th, 2016 at 10:35 am said:

this is a multiplayer game as well right? It would make no sense for a game like this to not have multiplayer. Also I hope some of the games coming out on PS VR (i.e battlezone, Dead Secret and Eve Valkyrie) are not full priced 59.99 titles as they dont look like 59.99 games

+ JKar275 on March 14th, 2016 at 10:36 am said:

This game looks like it’s going to be a lot of fun to play, but I have 2 major concerns regarding PlayStation VR:
1) Will it be comfortable enough to wear over my eyeglasses for at least 2 hours at a time?
2) I’m already prone to motion sickness in real life – so won’t PlayStation VR get me even more motion sick while I’m playing a game with it?

Last question: Can you make this game available for PS4 players without the upcoming VR equipment?

+ Kattatonic on March 14th, 2016 at 2:26 pm said:

I can’t answer the third question, but…

1) I have a few friends who wear glasses and they had no issues wearing it since the front piece can slide back and forth.

2) I wouldn’t consider myself PRONE to motion sickness, but I can get it every now and then. Battlezone did make me a bit uneasy at first, but then I got used to it and was driving up walls sideways and jumping from tall places. VR is just something the mind/body needs to adjust to.

Hope that helps!

+ sealum01 on March 14th, 2016 at 10:38 am said:

This is my #2 most desired game for the remainder of 2016! It looks absolutely incredible, and I will be picking this up on launch day with a shiny new PSVR!!

Let’s go!

+ CamelKong on March 14th, 2016 at 10:44 am said:

This looks fantastic! Did you guys have Tron in mind when designing this?

+ akibake on March 14th, 2016 at 10:48 am said:

I think I’d buy that game, particularly, if I can play co-op or multiplayer with a friend in a variety of arenas.

Off-topic, but why are there no VR games with a human avatar? Will every VR game be vehicle-based?

+ DuoMaxwell007 on March 14th, 2016 at 11:17 am said:

@10 technically theres a human piloting said vehicles so it is a human avatar… but seriously there are plenty of VR game not vehicle based.. Dead Secret and Robinson the Journey dont look vehicle based, also Ark Survival and Adrift, Tekken 7 just to name a few

+ M1NAT3K on March 14th, 2016 at 11:46 am said:

When those red things were swarming overhead, I was praying that they would assemble into a Tron Recognizer. =/

This game looks fast-paced, and I’m very excited to get it!

+ Amnalehu on March 14th, 2016 at 11:57 am said:

Battlezone was one of the very first video games I ever played. I am really looking forward to playing it again in PSVR. Day one buy for me.

+ NYPUNK88 on March 14th, 2016 at 11:58 am said:

I’m definitely buying this game and PSVR on day one. Thank you Sony for making this happen. I love you for this and bring on the VR gaming revolution!

+ plaztiksyke on March 14th, 2016 at 12:38 pm said:

Looks so much better than the initial reveal! Still, it’s weird the particles/voxels aren’t lit or emitting light. Will more dynamic lighting and reflections be added before the game ships, or do we lose that last-gen rendering feature for 120fps native?

I keep hearing rumors about a number of launch titles being Free To Play — is this game one of the Free To Play titles?

It’s cool to see the DS4 projected into the VR space. Will the DS4 touchpad be used for gestures or in-game display?

+ xpert_k7 on March 15th, 2016 at 12:45 pm said:

No F2P, please!

+ BadboyStudiosInc on March 17th, 2016 at 11:45 pm said:

Looks incredible. This game was far ahead of its time in the 80s, almost begging for VR to become a reality so it could be fully realized. Thank you for bringing it back. Now, you need to make a new VR Tron game based off of the original movie and the new one, to make one long story with some awesome gameplay.